Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Historical Epic Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Historical Epic Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 1/3/2007 5:19:09 PM   
Cuchulainn

Oh Jesus,don't take my word for it...reminded me of the Cleopatra mini-series...I might still rent it out,if they've still got it...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 121
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 2/3/2007 11:43:42 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I watched about 10 minutes of it and it left me cold. The dialogue was wooden and unappealing as were the set designs. It looked cheap unfortunately.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 122
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 2/3/2007 11:58:29 AM   
Wedge

I haven't seen it but I got the distinct whiff of shite coming off it.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 123
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 2/3/2007 3:33:38 PM   
Timon

With the 300 about to be released, I'm sure there is more than a few of you that might get curious and rent out THE 300 SPARTANS. All i can say is don't.

I caught it on TV a few months back and while it was more historically accurate than Synder's 300 is going to be (but only just), it was so dull.

The Spartans had nothing about them that made them the best warriors in the world. The swords fights were badly choreographed and the acting as wooden as the forestry landscape.

Avoid even if really really curious.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 124
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 2/3/2007 8:43:06 PM   
Cuchulainn

The 300 Romans.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 125
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 4/3/2007 10:08:26 PM   
Timon

Romans actually looked compotent.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 126
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 4/3/2007 11:43:32 PM   
Cuchulainn

That's a bit more like it...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 127
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 12/3/2007 1:54:41 PM   
Timon

Ah bugger. I was going to get Butler's BEOWULF AND GRENDEL but all this 300 excitement has driven the price up.

Guess I'll have to wait a few months. My fault for leaving it this long.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 128
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 12/3/2007 8:15:33 PM   
Cuchulainn

Jaysus,I got that about 5 months ago...What's keeping you?

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 129
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 13/3/2007 10:25:21 AM   
Timon

Financial hardship. I very rarely spend over 7 quid on a DVD.

Saying that, I did just order Escape From New York and Tears of the Sun: Director's Cut on a whim.

So is Beowulf any good? I remember 'Jomar' bigged it up but the reviews were lukewarm.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 130
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 13/3/2007 7:10:25 PM   
Cuchulainn

It's an enjoyable film...certainly a lot better than The 13th Warrior,even with the budgetary constraints...It looks beautiful too...you'd surely get it on Amazon Marketplace cheap now...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 131
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 16/3/2007 6:05:57 PM   
Timon

Here's a odd film. NOMAD was apparantly the Kazakhstani entry for BEST FOREIGN FILM at the Oscars but it seems to have cast and crew from all over the place.

The director is Russian, the lead (Kuno Becker of the Goal! Trilogy) is Mexican, Jay Hernadez is American and Jason Scott Lee (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story) is in it!

Either way, it looks like a great film - Right Click And Save For The Trailer

With a budget of $40 million it's the most expensive movie ever made in Kazakhstan & will be released via The Weinstein Company As the Kazakh government is unhappy with the way it's portrayed in BORAT, it is hoping NOMAD will create a better impression of the nation for moviegoers everywhere.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 132
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 17/3/2007 11:09:18 AM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Wa-wa-we-wah.

Sorry.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 133
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/3/2007 3:04:56 AM   
Rgirvan44

Obvious jokes aside this does look intresting - always on the lookout for foregin directors making epics about thier own past. Hope the Weinsteins at least release this onto DVD and don't just sit on it like they have wiith so many other films.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 18/3/2007 3:06:37 AM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 134
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/3/2007 8:51:49 AM   
Cuchulainn

I'd imagine any films 'sat on' by the Weinsteins will never be seen again...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 135
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/3/2007 9:44:26 AM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Speaking of which, we keep discussing new epics but what about the classics? I myself remember endless afternoons with enormous pieces of filmmaking.

My favourite epic is definitely Ben-Hur.

Not to mention it has the best depiction of Jesus ever.

I shall also never forget the wonder that is Lawrence of Arabia.

Love.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 136
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/3/2007 12:15:32 PM   
Timon

300 may be getting a sequel! Well sort of......

With "300" scoring big bank at the box-office again in its second weekend ($127m and still climbing), the inevitable question becomes - what of a sequel?

Of course a direct sequel is out of the question, but now Variety reports that Frank Miller is hard at work prepping a follow-up to "300" based on another mythic tale from Greek history.

Which one though? Miller won't divulge details, and in any case is busy prepping to helm the "Sin City" sequel (due to begin filming inn June), an adaptation of Will Eisner's "The Spirit" and has comic commitments.

Of course before then there is already talk of knock-offs coming out in the wake of the success of "300". Highly stylised, R-rated, action hero vehicles with mythic overtones are expected to be rushed into production soon - no doubt the "Clash of the Titans" remake will be getting another look over.

Post #: 137
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/3/2007 12:19:37 PM   
Wedge

Great, more historical epics I say!  I think I'll have to go and see 300 now, after all this good press 

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 138
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/3/2007 5:27:23 PM   
directorscut

June 26
RRP $29.95

The Colossus of Rhodes (1961)

Filmmakers often begin their directing careers with works of limited scale. Sergio Leone (Fistful of Dollars) began with a Colossus. Spectacle is king in The Colossus of Rhodes, Leone’s first credited film as a director. Sun-bronzed heroes (including toga-wearing Rory Calhoun) battle tyranny. Prisoners scramble for their lives in coliseum pageants of doom. Usurpers connive. Revolution erupts. And towering over all the excitement is the mighty bronze Colossus that straddles the harbor, fighting foes by dropping burning oil from the huge cauldron it holds and firing streams of molten lead from the catapults in its headpiece.

DVD Special Features:
  • Commentary by film historian Christopher Frayling
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Subtitles: English & Français (feature film only)

Land of the Pharaohs (1955)

Director Howard Hawks, who worked brilliantly in practically every movie genre, shows his mastery of the large-scale epic with this gigantic production filmed on location in Egypt. Thousands of extras (9,787 in one scene alone!), magnificently detailed sets (including the pyramid’s inner labyrinth, booby-trapped so no one can learn its secrets and live) and vast desert vistas fill the screen and astonish the eye.

There are also human-scale stories -- the Pharaoh (Jack Hawkins) who orders the pyramid as his tomb, dooming untold numbers to unending toil; the architect (James Robertson Justice) designing it to earn his people’s freedom; the slaves constructing it of blood, sweat and tears. And lastly, the beautiful queen (Joan Collins) whose greed leads to murder – and a stunning revenge.

DVD Special Features:
  • Commentary by filmmaker/historian Peter Bogdanovich, with interview excerpts of director Howard Hawks
  • Theatrical trailer

The Prodigal (1955)

Pagan sect high priestess Lana Turner beguiles a humble Hebrew farmer (Edmund Purdom) away from his faith in this drama based on the Biblical parable of the Prodigal Son. Four sprawling soundstages were filled with opulent sets representing the Holy Land circa 70 BC, and director Richard Thorpe (Ivanhoe, Jailhouse Rock) employed thousands of extras to create an environment rife with all the famine, poverty and unrest the panoramic CinemaScope screen could hold. But the star of the visually spectacular show remains Turner, shimmering in bejeweled gowns that reveal just why she can drive a true believer to the brink of forsaking all he holds dear.

DVD Special Features:
  • Commentary by film historian Dr. Drew Casper
  • Theatrical trailer

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 139
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/3/2007 7:48:56 PM   
Timon

I remember seeing The Colussus Of Rhodes when it was on BBC2 many moons ago. Was rather enjoyable I seem to remember. Reminded me of this movie;

Probably not the most accurate film ever made..................

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 140
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 22/3/2007 2:07:26 PM   
princessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Has anyone seen the made for TV movie of Attila The Hun with Gerard Butler?

Always been a fan of the man after first seeing him in Reign of Fire and I can't wait for 300 so I was wondering if anyone has seen this? Apparantly it's the second highest rate DTV movie ever. I'm not really sure if that's good or not.

Still got to see Beowulf and Grendel as well.....

Yes i've seen it brillaint.  It was on Hallmark a months ago, so i'm sure there'll repeat it.  I love my historical epic's even the crap one's. 

Does any1 know when Beowulf and Grendel is being released?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 141
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 31/3/2007 5:41:57 PM   
Mason Verger

Genghis Khan (1964) is on Sunday 1 April at 3.50pm on Channel 5.  

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 142
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 31/3/2007 5:43:04 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

What a brilliant Ben-Hur rip...

Or was that font very popular at the time?

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 143
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 31/3/2007 5:56:50 PM   
Mason Verger

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

What a brilliant Ben-Hur rip...

Or was that font very popular at the time?

It was in Stephen Boyd's contract for all his movies to have that font.

Post #: 144
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/4/2007 6:06:29 PM   
Timon

Thanks to the success of "300," lots of ancient war epics are getting a glance over amongst agents and studios with the hopes of turning them into a stylised, modern pulp action vehicles.

The one that's generating the most heat right now though is Harrison Powell's "The Sun is Falling," an epic about, quite literally, a group of Amazonian warrior women who served as an elite guard to Manco Inca Yupanqui, the last Incan Emperor of Peru.

According to The Lima Sentinel, events in the film are set against the backdrop of Francisco Pizarro's capturing of the Incan capital Cuzco in 1533, with must of the last act about the failed siege which attempted to recapture the city three years later.

Considering that battle was a fight between 100,000 incans and countless Spanish conquistadors - combined with a rich rainforest, mountain and ancient city setting - the material is ripe for film adaptation. Making it about a bunch of muscular hot chicks in leotards fighting with spears and arrows - the studio can obviously see the dollar signs.

The script is presently being considered by several studios, no word as yet as to who'll be picking it up.

Post #: 145
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 5/4/2007 8:39:12 PM   
Mason Verger

Ever had the feeling of deja vu?

Saturday 7 April at 2.00pm on BBC2.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 146
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 5/4/2007 8:39:57 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I wonder if that font is on Microsoft Word.

Post #: 147
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 10/4/2007 11:40:14 PM   
Mason Verger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Has anyone seen the made for TV movie of Attila The Hun with Gerard Butler?

Always been a fan of the man after first seeing him in Reign of Fire and I can't wait for 300 so I was wondering if anyone has seen this? Apparantly it's the second highest rate DTV movie ever. I'm not really sure if that's good or not.

Still got to see Beowulf and Grendel as well.....

ITV4 are showing part 1 on Wednesday 11 April at 10.05pm.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 148
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 10/4/2007 11:55:59 PM   
curtain twitcher

Historical epics are fucking cool. Usually.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

Post #: 149
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 11/4/2007 5:32:42 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Ever had the feeling of deja vu?

Saturday 7 April at 2.00pm on BBC2.

Was there a Mel Brooks spoof which used a similar typeset?

Actually I think this is what I was thinking of.

< Message edited by Axel Foley -- 11/4/2007 5:33:49 PM >

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Historical Epic Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI