Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 7/2/2007 3:48:08 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

It looks like the video nasty at heart type like Apocalypto.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 91
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 9/2/2007 11:23:18 AM   
Timon

One upcoming film i've forgotten about is Vin Diesel's Hannibal The Conqueror!

The Diesel will be starring and directing himself in the legendary tale of the Carthaginian general who led an elephant-riding battalion across the Alps to attack Rome in the 3rd Century B.C.

Shooting has yet to start and studios have refused to fund his passion project, but there's a website

http://www.hannibaltheconqueror.net/

Hopefully, it'll be as good as the BBC's docudrama from last year with Alexander Siddig

< Message edited by Timon -- 9/2/2007 12:46:32 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 92
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 11/2/2007 7:07:57 PM   
Axel Foley

Woah! That sounds like something I want to see for sure. I thought it had been scrapped post Riddick failure. The BBC docu-drama was bloody good and Alexander Siddig made for an excellent Hannibal, so this will have a lot to live up to.

Interested to know how much elephant action they put together. For a general famous for his use of an elephant cavalry, he actually only fought two battles, in Northern Italy, with elephants.

Anyway how does this sound for a big sequence. Cannae 216BC. Hannibal pits his army of 50000 against a Roman army of about 87000. His superior cavalry, faeturing Numidian horsemen able to manoeuvre their horses like no other cavalry, were decisive and though outnumbered Hannibal's army slaughtered all beofre them.

I wonder if they'll get as far in Hannibal's career as the battles with Scipio and his own Numidian cavalry, which (if anyone wants a bit of trivia) is the battle homaged in Gladiator's first Colosseum showdown, as Scipio's cavalry take on the "Barbarian Horde".

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 93
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 14/2/2007 5:01:52 PM   
Timon

That's if Vinny even gets a budget...i hear he's having difficulties.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 94
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 15/2/2007 1:26:54 PM   
Timon

Like your Tudor History then you be interested in THE TUDORS which starts in the US on April 1st.

Tells the story of the first 10 years of Henry VIII while he was still a young, athletic king.

Have started a thread in Small Screen if you need more info.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 95
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 15/2/2007 1:49:15 PM   
Cuchulainn

That fucking Rhys-Meyers is in it...BASTARD!!!!
I don't like him...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 96
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 17/2/2007 7:26:13 PM   
Axel Foley

If anyone is interested UK TV History is showing some programmes on Hannibal at the moment. I think the docudrama with Siddig is on later. Well worth checking out.

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 97
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 11:58:04 AM   
Timon

Has anyone seen the made for TV movie of Attila The Hun with Gerard Butler?

Always been a fan of the man after first seeing him in Reign of Fire and I can't wait for 300 so I was wondering if anyone has seen this? Apparantly it's the second highest rate DTV movie ever. I'm not really sure if that's good or not.

Still got to see Beowulf and Grendel as well.....

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 98
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 1:32:48 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Always been a fan of the man after first seeing him in Reign of Fire and I can't wait for 300 so I was wondering if anyone has seen this? Apparantly it's the second highest rate DTV movie ever. I'm not really sure if that's good or not.

There are some great swtories to be told form the like of Atilla the Hun and Genghis Khan, wonder will Seagal get to make his Genghis one?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 99
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 2:25:53 PM   
Timon

But will it be better than John Wayne's attempt?! I think not! He's as Mongolian as you can get.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 100
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 2:38:51 PM   
Cuchulainn

I bet not so many people involved in the production will contract cancer either...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 101
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 3:36:01 PM   
Timon

Are you saying that John Wayne was struck down by cancer because he dared to make his eyes go all 'slanty' to look like a Mongolian?

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 102
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 3:44:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Are you saying that John Wayne was struck down by cancer because he dared to make his eyes go all 'slanty' to look like a Mongolian?

Don't know if you know this but the film was made where the Americans had tested A - Bombs in the desert. This was before the effects of raditation were fully known. Many of the cast and crew are alledged to have died of cancer as a result.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 103
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 3:52:58 PM   
Timon

Christ, just looked it up on Wikipedia. 91 members of the cast and crew died on cancer. What was Howard Hughes and the production team thinking?!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 104
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 4:09:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

Was very tragic, and like I said, at the time, long term damage from radiation was not known - they use to send soliders towards a position that a bomb had hit then dust them off - they thought only the dirt that was thrown up by the bomb was radioactive and this would disappear. I doubt Hughes or Wayne were that worried as no one knew any better.

On another topic - has anyone seen the DTV film Augustaus starring Peter O' Toole? I have seen it in various places and  it seems like its a Italian production. Im a sucker for all things Roman and am curious to hear if its any good.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 105
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 21/2/2007 6:16:45 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

Christ, just looked it up on Wikipedia. 91 members of the cast and crew died on cancer. What was Howard Hughes and the production team thinking?!

At that point in time Howard Hughes wasn’t the sanest, so cast and crew safety was likely not high on the agenda! Surely someone must’ve thought to warn him though.

And back on Hannibal, Diesel would have to have a very good pitch to get going, as having re-watched the Siddig docudrama, I was struck again by how good it is. “Get these children away from here. We’re going to war.”

I suppose a budget for a full on version of Cannae would be intriguing all the same.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 106
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 9:19:33 AM   
Timon

I've found a nice little site hosted by a History PHD that answers FAQ's about the accuracy of certain historical movies.

http://www.stfrancis.edu/historyinthemovies/

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 107
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 10:15:43 AM   
Wedge

quote:

I've found a nice little site hosted by a History PHD that answers FAQ's about the accuracy of certain historical movies.

I'm really into this sort of thing.  I have a BA in Archaeology and an MA in Archaeology for Screen Media, the latter of which with the hows and whys of representing history/archeology in the media.   I'm a great, yet critical fan, of historical documentaries and films which attempt to reconstruct the past. 

I think the History Channel have a programme called 'Hollywood History' (or something), which explores this subject, unfortunately I don't have the channel and I've never seen it

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 108
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 10:31:16 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

quote:

I'm really into this sort of thing.  I have a BA in Archaeology and an MA in Archaeology for Screen Media, the latter of which with the hows and whys of representing history/archeology in the media.   I'm a great, yet critical fan, of historical documentaries and films which attempt to reconstruct the past. 

I think the History Channel have a programme called 'Hollywood History' (or something), which explores this subject, unfortunately I don't have the channel and I've never seen it

Yeah, I did a BA in Social and Economic History and wrote my dissertation on 'Why History Is Rewritten For Film'. Love this kind of stuff.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 109
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 10:38:41 AM   
Wedge

Timon, you should check this book out, if you're into war movies, history and historical recreation.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 110
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 10:42:05 AM   
Wedge

How about this website?

http://www.historyinfilm.com/

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 111
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 10:45:11 AM   
Wedge

quote:

How about this website?

http://www.historyinfilm.com/

Actually, it's a good idea but a poor website.

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 112
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 10:47:52 AM   
Wedge

Hmm, now this is good!

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medfilms.html

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 113
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 1/3/2007 12:06:52 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

From the production diaries i've seen, it looks very good BUT is there still an audience for such films?

I am damn well ready for a good epic, despite all the dissapointments post Gladiator.

300 will live or die by the acting, but I hope like Sin City it will have a surrealness enabling it to survive with epics more aimed at truly recreating the classical world.

the last samurai - probaly the best historical epic since gladiator

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 114
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 1/3/2007 12:11:44 PM   
Timon

The Last Samurai you say?

Click and behold

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 115
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 1/3/2007 1:08:06 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

The Last Samurai you say?

Click and behold

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 116
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 1/3/2007 1:23:22 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Hmm, now this is good!

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medfilms.html

Still doesn't beat a good book in my mind...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vietnam-War-History-Literature-Film/dp/0817351183/ref=sr_1_7/026-2705160-6369223?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1172755369&sr=1-7

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 117
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 1/3/2007 1:35:50 PM   
Timon

quote:

So has anyone actually seen this

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 118
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 1/3/2007 1:38:06 PM   
Cuchulainn

It was on in the local shop one night.Watched about 20 minutes of it.Looked crap.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 119
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 1/3/2007 5:07:53 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn

It was on in the local shop one night.Watched about 20 minutes of it.Looked crap.

Oh.

Well's thats disappointing. Not really sure what i was expecting, I mean it IS a DTV movie but i was hoping Gerard Butler + Legend of Atilia would somehow = good film.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI