Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 16/5/2006 1:42:05 PM   
Rotary Ten

It's interesting that you're all talking about classical or medieval stories. These films come and go in cycles, but the term "historical epic" surely applies just as much to any film concerned with a particular event in history e.g. Saving Private Ryan. Obviously we have to exclude dramas that happen to be set in the past, but the historical epic is such a wide-ranging genre that it never really goes out of fashion. 

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 31
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 16/5/2006 7:53:46 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotary Ten

It's interesting that you're all talking about classical or medieval stories. These films come and go in cycles, but the term "historical epic" surely applies just as much to any film concerned with a particular event in history e.g. Saving Private Ryan. Obviously we have to exclude dramas that happen to be set in the past, but the historical epic is such a wide-ranging genre that it never really goes out of fashion. 

Munich, Spielberg's latest historical epic was brilliant.

But I think we often like to think about classical/medieval stories because these are mysterious times rooted in myth as well as history.

In case you're wondering, I'm looking forward to the BBC's new Robin Hood.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 32
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 28/5/2006 12:26:26 AM   
Timon

Bumped for Jomar and his/her Beowulf interest....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 33
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 28/5/2006 10:31:23 AM   
jomar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Bumped for Jomar and his/her Beowulf interest....

Wow thanks Timon! (I`m a `her` BTW!!)

Ok so what I did on Friday night was to draft a petition to the Spice Factory and any UK film distributors to try and get Beowulf and Grendel a cinematic release in UK. The Spice factory are the UK co-producers of the film and we are hoping to lobby them for a release! I`m asking for help now in publicising it! Please sign it and pass it on through all internet comunites you take part in, send it to your friends, family, pets, dentist, websites, livejournals, blogs, forums anywhere you can think of! Although I am asking only UK residents to sign it please pass it to friends from other countries - they also might have friends and contacts in UK who they in turn can pass it to!

The petition is here
http://www.petitiononline.com/BEOWULF/petition.html

Thanks for everyone`s help! Let`s try and make them sit up and take notice! 

< Message edited by jomar -- 23/6/2006 7:34:40 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 34
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 28/5/2006 10:33:08 AM   
Timon

Your petition link isn't working....

If you're excited about Butler in Beowulf, you should really be pumped for '300'. THAT looks amazing.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to jomar)
Post #: 35
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 28/5/2006 10:36:20 AM   
jomar

I just fixed it Timon! Thanks!

I am excited about 300 but again it`s my kind of film! I love anything with a historic turn to it! The graphic novel is great and the film looks like it`s going to be a really close `fit` to it! I am equally excited about seeing David Wenham in that one!

ETA The server is down right now - you can read but can`t sign at the moment - please keep trying!

< Message edited by jomar -- 28/5/2006 2:16:13 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 36
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 29/5/2006 5:47:33 PM   
Critical Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

I do believe Lucas always had a taste for the epics, given his SW prequels were more modelled stylistically on that genre. Fall of the Roman Empire would be interesting, given how Lucas seemingly wants to make his politics revelant (Palpatine as Bush anyone?).

Let's just hope he doesn't write the damn thing himself !!

' I AM GODZILLA.....YOU ARE JAPAN ! '

'Women who glide, need guys that make them thump!'

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 37
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 23/6/2006 9:30:48 AM   
Timon

Bumped for Mozza.

(in reply to Critical Bill)
Post #: 38
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 23/6/2006 9:45:27 AM   
jomar

Oooh thanks for bumping this! I was coming in with an update! Our petition is up to 437 today. it has slowed recently - I blame the hot weather and the world cup for that! Please keep telling people and keep it going up! I am really grateful!

Initial box office takings and reviews from the US are promising. With more cities showing it over the coming weeks I am trying to be optimistic!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 39
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 23/6/2006 4:04:26 PM   
danbo1138

funniest.avatar.ever

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 40
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 23/6/2006 4:09:27 PM   
danbo1138

i would love to see a movie about when king harold defeated the vikings,only to be invaded about a week later by the normans(1066)100 years of french rule(boo)then when the english rose again to kick the buggers out ,i think it was alfred the great,although my history is a little hazy you get the idea.lots of battles,and quests for freedom.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 41
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 19/8/2006 11:07:35 AM   
jomar

Just trying to update everyone I can think of with the news!

http://geocities.com/faramirfan1@btinternet.com/beowulf

Please check it out and come along if you are able to or pass the news onto friends! We need to make this a success.

Thanks to everyone for your support and help with achieving this! Watch that webpage for any updates!

Cheers

Jo     

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 42
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 20/8/2006 11:19:22 PM   
billythehick

there's no denying that the box office hasn't been kind to the genre since gladiator, but as with with all genres, i remain hopeful that the next one will be good. beowolf and grendel looks good, pathfinder shows promise, and 300 should be a marvel to behold.

has the bubble burst? does one hit really constitute a bubble?

we musn't dwell. no, not today. WE CAN'T! not on rex manning day!

hey, how come my glass is empty?

"with collosal capacity comes considerale culpibility!"

hey, how come my glass is full?

(in reply to jomar)
Post #: 43
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 20/8/2006 11:25:39 PM   
jomar

Pathfinder does look good!

300 - a test screening in the US the other day was received well (gross understatement there!)

I am looking forward to both!

(in reply to billythehick)
Post #: 44
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 20/8/2006 11:45:42 PM   
Cuchulainn

I'm really stoked that the buzz and what-not about '300' is gaining momentum.It'll be great to see Spartans in full-on battle frenzy,even if they inexplicably aren't wearing armour (Miller,how well did you research your GN?).Pathfinder looks like it could be a bit of fun but,and Jomar will no doubt concur here,check out the Beowulf & Grendel trailer if you want to see what Vikings actually looked like.The Pathfinder Vikings look like Frank Frazetta's 'Death Dealer'-very stylish and very impressive,but they don't look like Vikings.
And I'm also delighted to hear the BBC are producing a new Robin Hood series.Looking forward to that.
Oh,and anyone that's interested in Hannibal/historical novels should read Ross Leckie's Carthaginian trilogy:Hannibal,Scipio and Carthage.Excellent stuff. 

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to jomar)
Post #: 45
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 21/8/2006 12:00:25 AM   
jomar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn

Jomar will no doubt concur here,check out the Beowulf & Grendel trailer if you want to see what Vikings actually looked like.The Pathfinder Vikings look like Frank Frazetta's 'Death Dealer'-very stylish and very impressive,but they don't look like Vikings.

Glad you like the look for B&G. Check out the webpage for Valentine armouries here if it interests you.

http://www.varmouries.com/

http://www.varmouries.com/vmovies.html  Scroll down for B&G

I am looking forward to the new Robin Hood series too!

< Message edited by jomar -- 21/8/2006 12:01:15 AM >

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 46
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 21/8/2006 5:30:53 AM   
Izzardesque2

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

i would love to see a movie about when king harold defeated the vikings,only to be invaded about a week later by the normans(1066)100 years of french rule(boo)then when the english rose again to kick the buggers out ,i think it was alfred the great,although my history is a little hazy you get the idea.lots of battles,and quests for freedom.

I would hardly say that the French (or rather the Normans - they considered themselves qutie different!) were kicked out, considering that Norman French was the language of the aristrocracy for a good couple of centuries at least.

The sotry of Simon De Montfort would make a good epic.

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 47
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 5/9/2006 9:27:14 PM   
jomar

Just a quick bump to remind anyone who is interested that the one off UK screening of Beowulf and Grendel is this coming Saturday!

Click the link in my signature for details or visit www.phoenixcinema.co.uk

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 48
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 4:55:34 PM   
Timon

Jomar, is a DVD out of it yet?

(in reply to jomar)
Post #: 49
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 5:10:09 PM   
jomar

Region 1 is out in Canada already, (I have that one) and will be out in the US this week. Region 2 can be ordered from Mainland Europe or various folks are selling it on eBay. Sadly nowhere in the UK yet though! It is hard to try and get people interested in a film when even the UK co producers have no interest.

The screening went pretty well, despite being hampered by darn London transport not wanting to play fair! The cinema said it was the best Saturday afternoon they have had for a long time!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 5:12:27 PM   
Timon

I can't find the R1 Canadian DVD on the likes of Amazon. Can you point me the direction of a reliable cheap place to get it so i may purchase it and spread interest in this bad boy?

(in reply to jomar)
Post #: 51
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 5:19:22 PM   
jomar

Try www.amazon.ca for the Canadian one  (click the link) However it may not come with that cover.

I don't have a site for region 2 yet but I know there are a couple. I am watching one on eBay - region 2 comes in a steel case - I am a sucker for DVDs in different packaging! Sad I know! eBay is probably your cheapest option given the cost of postage from Canada.

< Message edited by jomar -- 24/9/2006 5:20:18 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 52
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 5:51:24 PM   
Cuchulainn

Yeah Timon,I got mine from Amazon.ca-Cover is a bit unimaginative...a slimline pack too.Great stuff though...Hi jo,by the way...hope you had a great day at the screening...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to jomar)
Post #: 53
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 5:55:46 PM   
jomar

Hi Cuchulainn!

Yep, a good day was had by all! We had a representative from the Embassy of Iceland in Lonond who came and enjoyed the film too!

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 54
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 6:02:58 PM   
Cuchulainn

It's an astonishingly beautiful country...have you seen the trailer for 300 yet jomar?looks great...Gerry Butler obviously spent every waking hour working out...Talk about a brick shithouse...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to jomar)
Post #: 55
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 6:06:51 PM   
Timon

If you haven't, I found a downloadable Quicktime version of the 300 trailer. I like it.

Right Click and Save as.

First of it looks like they have remained as faithful as they can to Frank Miller's work. Over the top action, backdrops that look as beautiful as they can be and men who are clearly sculptured by the Gods themselves.

This is history at it's most graphically beautiful and absurdly stylish. Where men are men and women are submissive.

Not to sure about the slow mo fighting but it could work and also some of the background work looks like it needs tweaking but on the whole i'm impressed. It looks exactly as I expected - beautiful and over the top. This is not Gladiator, nor Alexander. It's not even Troy. This is Frank Miller's idea of what Thermopalyae should have been. Beautiful and bloody at the same time.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 56
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 24/9/2006 6:21:12 PM   
Dick Jones

That looks....mental.

Would like to see nice HD trailer. And the film too of course.

'Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small headed man of limited means, who lost a fight with a chicken. '

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 23/10/2006 5:51:50 PM   
Timon

Thought i'd resurrect this thread as I was going to start one on THE LAST LEGION and just figured I do it here. Anyway, if you've seen the first page you'll know that THE LAST LEGION is set during the last days of the Roman Empires. As the Roman empire crumbles, young Romulus Augustus flees the city and is kidnapped by Visigoths. A "Last Legion" on loyal troops embarks on a perilous voyage to Britain to track him down and save him.

The film has an impressive cast including Colin Firth, Ben Kingsley, Kevin McKidd, Alexander Siddig, John Hannah and Bollywood stunner Aishwarya Rai.

Currently shooting in Slovakia, Bratislava, The Last Legion is produced by Dino De Laurentis, based on the novel by Valerio [Massimo] Manfredi and directed by Doug Lefler (apparantly the 'genius' that gave us Dragonheart 2).

Ben Kingsley has said "It's an epic movie...spectacular like Excalibur, enthralling fascinating like The Gladiator."

I've watched the below French preview and it looks..........ok. Looks very Xena-esque which is not what you want. I think it's going to be a case of wait and see but at the moment i've very unsure.

French Preview

Anyway, here are some new pictures i've found online. Once again not very inspiring stuff. Does make me wonder why all these actors signed up for it...except for Ben Kingsley, he'd sign up for a Ginster pasty advert if he could get some cash.

Awww Christ, it's the kid from Love Actually.......

< Message edited by Timon -- 23/10/2006 5:52:31 PM >

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 58
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 23/10/2006 6:00:59 PM   
Anglachel

I love epic movies, becuase history has a lot of amazing stories for films.
It depends on how entertaining the movie is.
A good epic movie is the one who tells a story with fidelity and itīs entertaining/thrilling/emotion/full of ation at the same time.

I think "The Passion of the Christ" has all this, concerning the last hours of Jesus (Not the whole story) It tells a story faithful but itīs not boring movie.
But "Gladiator" is not accurated to historics facts.
"Troy" is not accurate.
Perhpas "Kingdom of heaven" is the most accurate

I have made a promise: to get back on you someday...
Justice come, it will be done.
You will face the darkest future!! You will go to hell !!!
Time will tell, I wish you well.

Dionysus

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 59
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 23/10/2006 6:22:41 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anglachel

"Troy" is not accurate.

Well that's because it's a myth.

(in reply to Anglachel)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI