Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Historical Epic Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epic Thread Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 27/2/2010 3:48:53 PM   
Nostromo.

Nobody read my post, I posted about Centurion back in September!  Rather excited about it. 

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 301
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 7/3/2010 8:00:21 PM   
Timon

A new Arthurian film is on its way!

Sylvain White, who directed upcoming The Losers, is negotiating to helm Pendragon, a retelling of the Arthurian legend. The spin involves providing the key Camelot characters -- Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere, Galahad, et al. -- with origin stories.

The script for the Phoenix Pictures project was written by Lee Shipman and Brian McGreevy.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 302
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 12/3/2010 11:35:40 PM   
CORLEONE

Watched Mongol last night. Really enjoyed it. Focuses on the good stuff Khan did, rather than the raping and pillaging, but very good nonetheless.

4 stars

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 303
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 13/3/2010 12:35:34 AM   
Deviation

Anyone heard of Agora's release?

It apparently caused some controversy (and sadly also seems to be also preachy if comments I heard from people I know, who worked in the film) and seems to find difficulty finding distributors.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 304
RE: Soloman Kane Trailer - 14/6/2010 9:59:00 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Heard of this?

Director: Christopher Smith
Stars: Sean Bean, Carice van Houten, Eddie Redmayne
The Plot: In medieval England fallen under the shadow of the Black Death, a young monk called Osmund is charged in leading a fearsome knight, Ulric and his group of mercenaries to a remote marsh. Their quest is to hunt down a necromancer - someone able to bring the dead back to life. Torn between his love of God and the love of a young woman, Osmund discovers the necromancer, a mysterious beauty called Langiva. After Langiva reveals her Satanic identity and offers Osmund his hearts desire, the horror of his real journey begins.

Christopher Smith has revealed details of his upcoming movie Black Death, which has recently finished filming. Speaking to Digital Spy, the Triangle and Severance director described the project as "a medieval 'guys on a mission' movie where Sean [Bean] and a group of knights ride into this village during the bubonic plague to find out why this one village has been spared the plague." "There are rumours that there's a necromancer there who has a deal with the Devil," he continued. "It's all about how medieval people think. It's all very real. It's not supernatural, but you think it is." Smith, whose first foray into the horror genre was the acclaimed Creep, added that Black Death "should be coming into the cinemas in either February or October. There's basically a window [the studio] want to hit to keep it in the winter."

Started well with plague, witch burnings and heresy and then descends into a confusing faith vs fake witchcraft and how people are better off without faith....or are they? I don't know, it was very muddled towards the end.

All I know is I was expecting Sean Bean's Ulric to be much more of a raving fundamentalist then he was.

2.5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 305
RE: Soloman Kane Trailer - 16/6/2010 6:24:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I didn't even know that was out yet.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 306
RE: Soloman Kane Trailer - 22/7/2010 3:50:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

Arn: The Knight Templer will be released on DVD and Blu Ray on September 13th.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arn-Templar-Blu-ray-Simon-Callow/dp/B003S4LELY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279810079&sr=8-3

No idea if when the sequel film will be released. Here is a trailer  -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-skCJD9MUg

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 307
Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 20/8/2010 10:19:43 AM   
Tech_Noir

Watched the director's cut last night, was planning to just watch one disc and another today but I was up until 1pm until it finished.

Absolutely brilliant and far superior than the theatrical cut.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 308
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 20/8/2010 10:32:08 AM   
matty_b

Yay, another fan for Scott's last masterpiece!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 309
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 15/9/2010 6:13:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

http://filmkinotrailer.com/2010/07/ironclad-vorschau.html

Footage from Ironclad. Looks like it could be fun!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 310
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 15/9/2010 10:10:00 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

It's an excellent film!
I would have dropped Bloom and put in Crowe(too similar to Gladiator,i know i know!)-as the only thing lacking in this film was a believable hero.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 311
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 15/9/2010 10:15:40 PM   
matty_b

Crowe would have been far too old for the role. As mentioned in another thread, DiCaprio would have been great.

quote:

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 312
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 15/9/2010 10:19:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

The more time goes on, and the further we get from Bloom being a superstar, the better his performance is. I actully really like him in the film. The character is designed to be pensive. Something that Crowe has never been. Leo wouldn't sell the armour stuff. Betteny would have been a solid choice, but Bloom does good work here. Really good work. 

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 313
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 15/9/2010 10:19:36 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Yeah,maybe,he hasn't done anything like that off the top of my head.
Crowe,yeah,well maybe not him specifically,but without reverting to cliches,there was a need for a "man's man" here,a throwback to the old days of swash and buckle

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 314
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 15/9/2010 10:28:01 PM   
matty_b

No, I disagree. Balian is a boy, not a man, who's supposed to look out of his depth.

quote:

Post #: 315
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 15/9/2010 10:33:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

No, I disagree. Balian is a boy, not a man, who's supposed to look out of his depth.

I disagree with this as well. Balian is a young man, who has suffered a lot. But he is quiet, considered and wanting redemeption.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 316
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 16/9/2010 11:43:20 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I disagree with this as well. Balian is a young man, who has suffered a lot. But he is quiet, considered and wanting redemeption.

Perhaps,but he needn't be a manboy though?He was a young man,but the actor/character didn't come across well with the whole suffering thing either,i didn't think it was plausable,or well-acted.
I think Bloom thought he was still on the set of LOTR,his delievery is so wooden.
A very decent film that aside.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 317
RE: Historical Epic / Kingdom of Heaven - DC - 16/9/2010 2:48:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

Perhaps,but he needn't be a manboy though?He was a young man,but the actor/character didn't come across well with the whole suffering thing either,i didn't think it was plausable,or well-acted.
I think Bloom thought he was still on the set of LOTR,his delievery is so wooden.
A very decent film that aside.

He wasn't overwrought. Again, he was pensive. And there are clear differences between his performance in this and Troy. It was actully a very difficult character to get right.

Post #: 318
RE: Soloman Kane Trailer - 25/9/2010 8:34:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Arn: The Knight Templer will be released on DVD and Blu Ray on September 13th.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arn-Templar-Blu-ray-Simon-Callow/dp/B003S4LELY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279810079&sr=8-3

No idea if when the sequel film will be released. Here is a trailer  -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-skCJD9MUg

Well I watched it and well...it was ok.

The version I saw combined the two films, and so it moved quickly between locations, although even here it dragged at parts. The battles were...ok. No sense of scale, and the Horns of Hattin (the end of which we saw in KoH) was sadly not really given the scale needed.

That said, it looked great, and perhaps with the fuller two films/four hour version, there would be a lesser, but still interesting companion piece to Scotts masterpiece.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 319
RE: King Arthur - 28/2/2011 10:13:54 AM   
Timon

After watching the pilot to Camelot at the weekend, I was contemplating revisiting Bruckheimer's King Arthur. I didn't like it in the cinemas, but I hear the Director's Cut is better. Is this true? Or is it still god awful?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 320
RE: Historical Epic Thread - William Tell - 9/5/2011 7:29:57 AM   
Timon

quote:

Producers Fred Caruso and D. Constantine Conte are bringing the story of William Tell to the big screen, reports Variety.

Stunt coordinator and second unit director Ian Quinn will make his feature directorial debut on the $60 million production.

The producers are co-financing The Adventures of William Tell via their Caruso/Conte 2010 Pan-European Fund as well as through independent equity financing.

Cornelius Schregle's script is based on Friedrich von Schiller's 1805 play. The story chronicles the life of the 14th century Swiss
hero who, as legend has it, was forced to shoot an apple off his son's head to win his freedom from Austrian occupiers.

Swiss actress Kiera Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin, will star as Tell's wife.

Pre-production is set to begin in the fall. The film will shoot in Lucerne and other regions in Switzerland, with release scheduled for 2010.

I'm both elated and dismayed about this news. I've been waiting for a 'Tell' film for years back when the project was first announced in 2002 with Heath Ledger, Cameron Diaz and Tom Wilkinson.. It's been in development hell for ages for just before the strike it was rumoured Kevin Reynolds (Prince of Thieves, Waterworld, Count of Monte Cristo) was going to come out of retirement and film it under the title 'Ironbow'.

That got me excited as I've been waiting for him to get back in the director's chair for ages. Either way, I shall watch this production with interest.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/879849/brendan_fraser_to_star_as_william_tell.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 321
RE: Historical Epic Thread - William Tell - 24/5/2011 11:54:14 PM   
Timon

The latest historical DTV epics

< Message edited by Timon -- 24/5/2011 11:56:36 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 322
RE: Historical Epic Thread - William Tell - 22/7/2012 5:54:53 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Can't believe it's been over a year since this thread was posted in!

Saw Ironclad the other day. I liked it a lot, especially Paul Giammati's shouty King John, coming across as a right evil git. More violent than I had expected too.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 323
RE: Historical Epic Thread - William Tell - 22/7/2012 9:44:23 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Can't believe it's been over a year since this thread was posted in!

Saw Ironclad the other day. I liked it a lot, especially Paul Giammati's shouty King John, coming across as a right evil git. More violent than I had expected too.

I really liked Ironclad. Although I do recommend the US version of the DVD/Blu-ray because the UK version was released in the wrong aspect-ratio. Just like Buried.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 324
RE: Historical Epic Thread - William Tell - 22/7/2012 11:07:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I read about that but the version I had looked fine, nice and proper widescreen. Unless I'm being a complete idiot or they've released a new version.

Much more better!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 325
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 23/9/2012 5:45:15 PM   
menslow1111

Heyz!

Look at this AWESOME film being developed in Vancouver and Seattle about
Ted Bundy! It looks SUPER legit!

http://www.stage32.com/profile/390/project/theodore-based-life-and-case-files-serial-killer-ted-bundy

This NEEEEEDS to get made! I would totally go see this!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 326
RE: Gibson/DiCaprio go Viking - 17/4/2013 5:30:40 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

Mel Gibson will direct Leonardo DiCaprio in an untitled period drama about Viking culture that will be written by William Monahan, reports Variety. Shooting is expected to begin in fall 2010.

The trade says that DiCaprio, who has long been fascinated by Viking culture, will play one in a storyline that will be as unsparing as Gibson's other period directing efforts, Braveheart, The Passion of The Christ and Apocalypto.

"This will be an awe-inspiring story, created with some of the industry's finest cinematic talent, and I am just over the moon to be making this film with Mel, Leo and Bill," producer Graham King said.

Woohoo! Braveheart/Apocalypto-esque action with Vikings. Booking my ticket right now.

I'm guessing the likelihood of this has evaporated. Sounded bloody amazing then I realised I was replying to something posted 3 and a half years ago.

Gibson was down to direct a film about the Maccabbes and the Jewish revolt against Antiochus Epiphanes, but then fell into dispute with Joe Esterhas over his anti-semitic repuation.

It's a good story and one of the few parts of the Old Testament to be based on sound historical reportage, so I hope he can iron out his 'issues'.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 327
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epic Thread Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI