Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? - 18/5/2009 10:47:17 PM   
mafyou

Did anyone catch 1066: The Battle for Middle Earth on Channel 4? Perhaps I should have started something in Small Screen but it hardly seems worth it, and it's the type of programme that would appeal to those who read this thread. What did people think?

Personally, I liked the information about the Anglo-Saxon culture, the narration and the music but not much else.

< Message edited by mafyou -- 18/5/2009 10:48:50 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 271
RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? - 19/5/2009 2:20:28 PM   
Nostromo.

Yes I managed to catch it and was quite impressed by it. I thought the re-enactors did a fine job and the research into the old English/Norse languages were particularly well done. I'm not sure how far along thr west country accent would have been at this point though!  I especially liked Ian Holm narrating too, gave the show a very proffesioanl tone.

Tonights episode looks to be even better with the whole show dedicated to hastings. I kept thinking last night, "boy they are cutting it fine to squeeze the most important battle in!"

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 272
RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? - 19/5/2009 11:03:49 PM   
mafyou

I saw the second half today. It grew on me as it went on.

Ian Holm can officially narrate my life.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 273
RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? - 21/5/2009 8:34:58 PM   
Mr E

Yes I watched it too. Thought it were pretty good. Would have preferred more focus on Harold and William but it was a interesting take on it from the point of view of the soldiers.

I'm sure it's probably already been mentrioned but three Hastings films are also set to be made - click

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 274
RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? - 27/5/2009 3:06:19 PM   
Timon

I saw the first half... and it was ok.

I'm more excited by this;

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 275
RE: Historical Epics - Agora - 18/6/2009 7:46:27 AM   
Timon

The most anticipated Ancient World movie of 2009: Agora, from director Alejandro Amenábar (The Others) starring Rachel Weitz as Hypatia, the scientist-scholar who ran afoul of the Christians in Alexandria in 415 A.D. It’s said to be the most expensive Spanish production ever, with an extraordinary recreation of ancient Alexandria (a city seldom depicted in movies). Release is set for October.

http://www.agoralapelicula.com/

Production design looks amazing.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 276
RE: Historical Epics - Agora - 18/6/2009 8:00:22 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Count me in for that one. Looks like it could be very good.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 277
RE: Historical Epics - Agora - 18/7/2009 3:41:51 PM   
mafyou

Rachel Weisz? I'm there!

Also, Soloman Kane looks pretty cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 278
RE: Historical Epics - Agora - 13/9/2009 1:30:59 PM   
Nostromo.

Anyone interested in Centurion with Michael Fassbender? Looks interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_%28film%29

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/14332808/centurion/videos/centurion_2_032609.html;jsessionid=3gmwwkfp27wu1

No Time To Bleed

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 279
RE: Historical Epics - Agora - 13/9/2009 1:36:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The most anticipated Ancient World movie of 2009: Agora, from director Alejandro Amenábar (The Others) starring Rachel Weitz as Hypatia, the scientist-scholar who ran afoul of the Christians in Alexandria in 415 A.D. It's said to be the most expensive Spanish production ever, with an extraordinary recreation of ancient Alexandria (a city seldom depicted in movies). Release is set for October.

Have some friend who worked on this (since Amenabar did it here in Malta). Both were extras and some did dubbing.

Of course this is one of my most eagerly awaited film.

And my ex film lecturer met Amenabar and called him and incredibly down to Earth man (and a bit short). Unfair.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 280
Soloman Kane Trailer - 21/9/2009 9:12:55 AM   
Timon

quote:

Full English Trailer - Puritan Bad Assry!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 281
RE: Soloman Kane Trailer - 21/9/2009 10:43:36 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

quote:

Full English Trailer - Puritan Bad Assry!

I had a bad feeling about this. And look what I found....

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/4187/review

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 21/9/2009 10:44:19 AM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 282
RE: Soloman Kane Trailer - 24/9/2009 11:55:28 AM   
Timon

I see that, and raise you this.

http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2009/09/solomon-kane-review.php

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_review_detail.php?id=13841

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 283
RE: Soloman Kane Trailer - 23/11/2009 3:45:26 PM   
Timon

Heard of this?

Director: Christopher Smith
Stars: Sean Bean, Carice van Houten, Eddie Redmayne
The Plot: In medieval England fallen under the shadow of the Black Death, a young monk called Osmund is charged in leading a fearsome knight, Ulric and his group of mercenaries to a remote marsh. Their quest is to hunt down a necromancer - someone able to bring the dead back to life. Torn between his love of God and the love of a young woman, Osmund discovers the necromancer, a mysterious beauty called Langiva. After Langiva reveals her Satanic identity and offers Osmund his hearts desire, the horror of his real journey begins.

Christopher Smith has revealed details of his upcoming movie Black Death, which has recently finished filming. Speaking to Digital Spy, the Triangle and Severance director described the project as "a medieval 'guys on a mission' movie where Sean [Bean] and a group of knights ride into this village during the bubonic plague to find out why this one village has been spared the plague." "There are rumours that there's a necromancer there who has a deal with the Devil," he continued. "It's all about how medieval people think. It's all very real. It's not supernatural, but you think it is." Smith, whose first foray into the horror genre was the acclaimed Creep, added that Black Death "should be coming into the cinemas in either February or October. There's basically a window [the studio] want to hit to keep it in the winter."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 284
RE: Historical Epicness - 23/11/2009 4:46:45 PM   
Timon

New trailer for Season of the Witch - that's right, Nic Cage and Ron Perlman as Templars!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 285
RE: Black Death - 25/11/2009 12:43:36 PM   
Timon

quote:

Heard of this?

Director: Christopher Smith
Stars: Sean Bean, Carice van Houten, Eddie Redmayne
The Plot: In medieval England fallen under the shadow of the Black Death, a young monk called Osmund is charged in leading a fearsome knight, Ulric and his group of mercenaries to a remote marsh. Their quest is to hunt down a necromancer - someone able to bring the dead back to life. Torn between his love of God and the love of a young woman, Osmund discovers the necromancer, a mysterious beauty called Langiva. After Langiva reveals her Satanic identity and offers Osmund his hearts desire, the horror of his real journey begins.

Christopher Smith has revealed details of his upcoming movie Black Death, which has recently finished filming. Speaking to Digital Spy, the Triangle and Severance director described the project as "a medieval 'guys on a mission' movie where Sean [Bean] and a group of knights ride into this village during the bubonic plague to find out why this one village has been spared the plague." "There are rumours that there's a necromancer there who has a deal with the Devil," he continued. "It's all about how medieval people think. It's all very real. It's not supernatural, but you think it is." Smith, whose first foray into the horror genre was the acclaimed Creep, added that Black Death "should be coming into the cinemas in either February or October. There's basically a window [the studio] want to hit to keep it in the winter."

Cast of Black Death

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 286
RE: Historical Epics Sum-Up - 27/11/2009 2:26:37 PM   
Timon

With so many epics coming out, I've done a quick sum up.

http://timonsingh.posterous.com/historical-epics-coming-out-that-youre-not-aw

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 287
RE: Historical Epics Sum-Up - 27/11/2009 2:46:39 PM   
Deviation

Rob Cohen back to medieval films!!! YAY!!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 288
RE: Historical Epics Sum-Up - 29/11/2009 4:07:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

With so many epics coming out, I've done a quick sum up.

http://timonsingh.posterous.com/historical-epics-coming-out-that-youre-not-aw

Nice round-up there, Timon! A few to look forward to.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 289
RE: Historical Epics Sum-Up - 29/11/2009 11:10:05 AM   
Timon

I forgot Eagle of the Ninth!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 290
RE: Historical Epics - Agora - 8/12/2009 9:00:55 PM   
Timon

quote:

The most anticipated Ancient World movie of 2009: Agora, from director Alejandro Amenábar (The Others) starring Rachel Weitz as Hypatia, the scientist-scholar who ran afoul of the Christians in Alexandria in 415 A.D. It’s said to be the most expensive Spanish production ever, with an extraordinary recreation of ancient Alexandria (a city seldom depicted in movies). Release is set for October.

Does anyone know where I can get a downloadable trailer of this?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 291
RE: Gibson/DiCaprio go Viking - 14/12/2009 8:37:28 AM   
Timon

Mel Gibson will direct Leonardo DiCaprio in an untitled period drama about Viking culture that will be written by William Monahan, reports Variety. Shooting is expected to begin in fall 2010.

The trade says that DiCaprio, who has long been fascinated by Viking culture, will play one in a storyline that will be as unsparing as Gibson's other period directing efforts, Braveheart, The Passion of The Christ and Apocalypto.

"This will be an awe-inspiring story, created with some of the industry's finest cinematic talent, and I am just over the moon to be making this film with Mel, Leo and Bill," producer Graham King said.

Woohoo! Braveheart/Apocalypto-esque action with Vikings. Booking my ticket right now.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 292
RE: Gibson/DiCaprio go Viking - 18/12/2009 6:16:38 PM   
Nostromo.

When you mentioned "Eagle of the ninth" I thought for a moment it would be a film about the dust up in the Tueutoberg forest. Alas that was AD9 not Legion 9. Ah well. 

No Time To Bleed

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 293
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 9/1/2010 7:50:38 PM   
Timon

Quite a few people slammed the first images that were released for Eagle of the Ninth, but I'm hopeful. Bell has really impressed me in recent years and it would be a fool to discount Kevin MacDonald (Touching the Void, Last King of Scotland, State of Play),

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 294
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 4/2/2010 11:12:52 AM   
Timon

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 295
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 4/2/2010 12:23:49 PM   
CORLEONE

Really looking forward to Ironclad. Especially Paul Giamatti as King John!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 296
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 12/2/2010 12:02:32 PM   
mafyou

Is this new?

Centurion Trailer

Looks pretty awesome to me.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 297
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 12/2/2010 1:26:19 PM   
Timon

Awesome find! Time to spread the word!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 298
RE: Gibson/DiCaprio go Viking - 12/2/2010 2:39:45 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

Mel Gibson will direct Leonardo DiCaprio in an untitled period drama about Viking culture that will be written by William Monahan, reports Variety. Shooting is expected to begin in fall 2010.

The trade says that DiCaprio, who has long been fascinated by Viking culture, will play one in a storyline that will be as unsparing as Gibson's other period directing efforts, Braveheart, The Passion of The Christ and Apocalypto.

"This will be an awe-inspiring story, created with some of the industry's finest cinematic talent, and I am just over the moon to be making this film with Mel, Leo and Bill," producer Graham King said.

Woohoo! Braveheart/Apocalypto-esque action with Vikings. Booking my ticket right now.

For some reason I can't see DiCaprio in this role. It doesn't fit. Sure, tales of espionage and ocean liner disasters are right up his creek, but I'm not sure if he can pull off the gravity of a Viking setting. Not like Kirk Douglas

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 299
RE: Historical Epic Thread - 14/2/2010 8:30:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Is this new?

Centurion Trailer

Looks pretty awesome to me.

Certainly seems to be better than Doomsday!

I'm not a great fan of Fassbender but there's some good actors in there.

Anybody seem this for Ironclad?
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/ironclad/early-trailer

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 14/2/2010 8:33:36 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI