Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 9:45:29 AM   
Timon

$25 million dollars!

That's right, that's how much New Line are going to pay Motormouth Tucker to return for Rush Hour 3.

How in God's name? Besides the two other Rush Hour films he's only been in ....3... other films...Money Talks, The Fifth Element etc.

What's worse is that his co-star and more experienced actor Jackie Chan is only going to get $15 million for returning. It's Tucker's refusal to budge on his salary that has made Rush Hour 3 stay in development hell for so long...but now New Line has capitulated.

Rush Hour 2 holds the record for the highest gross of any comedy and that the total worldwide take for the first two films is about $600 million.

It's craziness especially considering the world's best actors such as Pacino, Spacey et al get nowhere near that much.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 9:51:03 AM   
Bruce Wayne

well it is ridicolous to go paying some one like Chris Tucker all that money when some quality actors get less than half, mind you if it means a Rush Hour 3 is coming our way than I won't be moaning too much. 

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:08:33 AM   
Grislo

Why should a 'better' actor get paid more if his movies aren't nearly as profitable?

That's just silly.

I'm not exactly a huge Tucker fan, but if he can bring in money with Rush Hour 3, it makes sense that he should be paid more than stars that are less likely to bring in big bucks.

'That's the way it crumbles, cookiewise'

(in reply to Bruce Wayne)
Post #: 3
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:12:33 AM   
TobiasFunke

Usually stars get paid more money as they get more famous. I haven't seen Chris Tucker in anything since Rush Hour 2 from about four years ago and frequently confuse him with Chris Rock! So his inflated pay cheque surprises me!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Grislo)
Post #: 4
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:18:22 AM   
Castor Troy

It's a bit weird, but considering the amount of money the film will take it's kind of understandable. But I don't know why Jackie doesn't demand more. He should definately be entitled to at least the same as Tucker, if not more. The films success relies on him more than Tucker, and as you say Timon, he's much more experienced. But having said that, he'll probably get more money for the extra work he does with stunt co-ordination and such.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:31:43 AM   
Neth

It's taken him six years to spend his paycheque from Rush Hour 2. Here's hoping this amount keeps him off the screen for at least another six.

Although... He was alright in Friday and Dead Presidents.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:31:59 AM   
Mozza

That's odd.  Jackie Chan should be at least equal.  Or maybe he isn't an ego-inflated goonchild like Tucker is.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 7
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:41:17 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

$25 million dollars!

That's right, that's how much New Line are going to pay Motormouth Tucker to return for Rush Hour 3.

Holy Fuck!!!!!!!!!

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:45:15 AM   
svgbdgr

Jesus.

H.

Christ.

What the hell is wrong with the world?
I'd pay him $25m NOT to be in Rush Hour 3.

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 9
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:51:14 AM   
texasranger

I know,bollocks in'it. I hope the inflated salary is to do with charity concerns(hasn't he been doing a lot of charity work since Rush Hour 2,or am I talking crap?).

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 10
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 11:43:57 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

I read somewhere that the way they've solved the wage disparity is to give Chan the distribution rights in Asia. Although the fact that they considered Tucker to be more important to the success of the Rush Hour franchise than Chan is frankly incomprehensible to me.

(in reply to texasranger)
Post #: 11
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 12:53:28 PM   
buffy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

I read somewhere that the way they've solved the wage disparity is to give Chan the distribution rights in Asia. Although the fact that they considered Tucker to be more important to the success of the Rush Hour franchise than Chan is frankly incomprehensible to me.

I agree the movie wouldn't be a sucess unless Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan were in it. They should both get the same salary as the movie wouldn't work if one of them refused to do it.

In every generation there is a chosen one

Member of COBW

Last 5 movies

Airplane 4/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Casanova 3/5
Pirates of The Carribean: At Worlds End 3/5
Alpha Dog 4/5

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 12
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 1:11:41 PM   
Shifty Bench

I think it would be funny if Jackie Chan woke up tomorrow and thought 'You know what? I dont think I will do Rush Hour 3 after all'

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to buffy)
Post #: 13
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 1:48:57 PM   
Guuuuuy

Chris Who?

The most mind-blowing link on the internet!!!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 14
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 4:35:38 PM   
Degolas

Ugh, I friggin' hate Chris Tucker. Hence, I don't think the Rush Hour movies are particularly good.

(in reply to Guuuuuy)
Post #: 15
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 4:37:17 PM   
elab49

quote:

Rush Hour 2 holds the record for the highest gross of any comedy and that the total worldwide take for the first two films is about $600 million.

Is that actually true? If so, it shouldn't be!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 5:57:07 PM   
M.V.P.

I disagree with most of the comments posted here. The distribution company know that to spend 25m on chris tucker, might be a lot of money, but for the amount they stand to get back it more than makes it worthwhile.

The only thing I'm suprised about is that Jackie Chan isn't asking for the same. But if he has the asian distribution rights he'll end up making a lot more than 25m. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 6:02:28 PM   
Dianem

I don't think he'd ask for more money ever. I think he's a "Mr.Nice Guy" geddit. And i don't even know who Chris Tucker is. But i kmow he's got a helium voice LOL.

Why do you always have to be so hypothetical?...What

(in reply to M.V.P.)
Post #: 18
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 6:29:28 PM   
Tokenfella

Strange? According to this article from IMDB, Tucker will recieve $20 million. I'm not suprised if he asked for more. Anyways the full article:

quote:

Chris Tucker, Jackie Chan and director Brett Ratner are all heading to Paris, France, this summer to film the second Rush Hour sequel. Rush Hour 2 grossed nearly $350 million worldwide, prompting the two lead actors to demand blockbuster salaries to return - Chris Tucker will receive $20 million, while Jackie Chan will pocket $15 million. New Line film production president Toby Emmerich says, "The first two Rush Hour films have become pop-culture classics, and we are confident that the third one will deliver the trademark mix of great action and big laughs." Rush Hour 3 is scheduled for a summer 2007 release.

< Message edited by Tokenfella -- 12/5/2006 6:30:00 PM >

I don't believe in pick-up lines. I simply say 'Now'.

(in reply to Dianem)
Post #: 19
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 6:34:33 PM   
Gwilly

The way Hollywood use to work was that an actor would get paid what their opening weekend usually was. Therefore if Rush Hour 1 opened with 15 mil Tucker would have got 15 mil for Rush Hour 2. Obviously Rush Hour 2 opened with a 25 mil weekend so for Rush hour 3 he gets 25 mil.

God and I  remember all the fuss Jim Carrey's paycheck for The Cable Guy caused yet he had had 5 consecutive hit films before it.

Ace Ventura 1 and 2
The Mask
Dumb and Dumber
Batman Forever.

In my mind Carrey deserved his paycheck.
Tucker on the other hand??? 

< Message edited by Gwilly -- 12/5/2006 6:39:06 PM >

www.twisted-films.co.uk

(in reply to Dianem)
Post #: 20
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 7:05:36 PM   
James2183

Didn't Cruise make ovet $100 million for MI: 2 and Arnie $30 million for T3? 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Gwilly)
Post #: 21
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 7:10:07 PM   
Tokenfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Didn't Cruise make ovet $100 million for MI: 2 and Arnie $30 million for T3? 

A little bit off the mark there, Cruise made over $75 million for MI:2 in gross participation, IIRC.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 22
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 8:30:51 PM   
Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gwilly

The way Hollywood use to work was that an actor would get paid what their opening weekend usually was. Therefore if Rush Hour 1 opened with 15 mil Tucker would have got 15 mil for Rush Hour 2. Obviously Rush Hour 2 opened with a 25 mil weekend so for Rush hour 3 he gets 25 mil.

Rush Hour opened to $33m. Rush Hour 2 opened to $67m. Anyone willing to give Chris Tucker $67m for a movie should be taken out into the street and beaten with a stick.

< Message edited by Neth -- 12/5/2006 8:31:20 PM >

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Gwilly)
Post #: 23
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 8:46:55 PM   
UTB

Haha i love threads like this.

Tucker get's shit loads of cash because he puts bums on seats with, you know, films that make money.

Good for him, I say. If his films make gazillions at the box office then only a chump would would agree to a low paypacket.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 9:00:54 PM   
M.V.P.

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Haha i love threads like this.

Tucker get's shit loads of cash because he puts bums on seats with, you know, films that make money.

Good for him, I say. If his films make gazillions at the box office then only a chump would would agree to a low paypacket.

Well said.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 25
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 12/5/2006 10:33:33 PM   
HIM

Worth. Every. Penny! 

Chris Tucker is awesome. Rush Hour 1 & 2 are great films so I'm glad there'll definately be a third now.

(in reply to M.V.P.)
Post #: 26
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 13/5/2006 4:09:48 PM   
Mason Verger

It's like Pierce Brosnan in the James Bond role. Most of his non Bond films have under performed at the box office. He isn't a major box office draw except for when he's playing Bond. That's when he could ask for and get what he wanted.     

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 13/5/2006 5:23:06 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

It's like Pierce Brosnan in the James Bond role. Most of his non Bond films have under performed at the box office. He isn't a major box office draw except for when he's playing Bond. That's when he could ask for and get what he wanted.     

I think this is the only time Pierce Brosnan will be compared to Chris Tucker....

But you have a point, Brosnan is really only box office gold when he's Bond. The Matador and such never set the box office on fire despite fine performances.

The same can be said for lots of actors though. Take Christian Bale for example. Besides Batman, he's not exactly box office gold despite being a terrific actor. Hopefully that'll change soon.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 28
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 13/5/2006 5:59:10 PM   
Tokenfella

quote:

The same can be said for lots of actors though. Take Christian Bale for example. Besides Batman, he's not exactly box office gold despite being a terrific actor. Hopefully that'll change soon.

What about Johnny Depp? He's a terrific actor but do you consider him box office gold?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! - 13/5/2006 7:46:18 PM   
swifty

anyone know what the highest fee ever payed to an actor is not counting stuff like part of the profits.didnt jack nicholson get 20 mill in 89 for batman.how much would that be these days

(in reply to Tokenfella)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Chris Tucker - Highest Paid Actor In Hollywood?! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI