Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lawrence of Arabia

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Lawrence of Arabia Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 22/3/2012 2:35:50 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: goldleader

Any news on a release date for both the Blu-Ray and the Cinema release?

I have to admitt i haven't watched this for about 5 years and i would love to see it on the big screen.

Not 100% but I think blu ray comes out around June 4th (2012).

I caught the cinema re-release last time (must be 6-7 years now) and it was immense. I really can't find the right words to describe it.....perfect will have to do.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 31
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 11/6/2012 3:29:40 PM   
st3veebee

Ok so it's not here et (the blu ray) but should it come out in the next few months a cinema re-release would also be appreciated .

Latest Films:

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 32
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 11/6/2012 3:42:16 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Ok so it's not here et (the blu ray) but should it come out in the next few months a cinema re-release would also be appreciated .

September for the blu apparently, no idea about a cinema release but it better happen.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 33
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 13/6/2012 5:59:53 PM   
Rich Empire

The definition of the word EPIC.
Such vision.

Epic.
- "noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style".

The Dude abides...

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 34
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 16/6/2012 9:50:29 AM   
Dpp1978

For those of you near Edinburgh.

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/films/2012/lawrence-of-arabia

(in reply to Rich Empire)
Post #: 35
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 16/6/2012 10:02:54 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rich Empire

Such vision.

Epic.
- "noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style".

THIS. Absolutely!

I remember opening this thread as a Newbie all those years ago, although I had a different username

I really wanted to change the title and the opening but couldn't remember the blasted password for it, until I checked my e-mail! Thank god for that!

But coming back to the post -i couldn't agree more. This film is the ultimate deinition of an Epic. In fact, in their description, Oxford should change their dictionary definition of EPIC to Lawrence of Arabia!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 36
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 16/6/2012 3:25:31 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

For those of you near Edinburgh.

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/films/2012/lawrence-of-arabia

Fuck that's only next week!

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 37
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 16/6/2012 3:36:00 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Aceballs!!!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 38
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 19/6/2012 2:15:17 AM   
Spaldron

Just booked tickets for Thursday, cannot wait!

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 39
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 19/6/2012 2:22:18 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Just booked tickets for Thursday, cannot wait!

Yay!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 40
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 19/6/2012 4:27:33 PM   
Rich Empire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rich Empire

Such vision.

Epic.

THIS. Absolutely!

I remember opening this thread as a Newbie all those years ago, although I had a different username

I really wanted to change the title and the opening but couldn't remember the blasted password for it, until I checked my e-mail! Thank god for that!

But coming back to the post -i couldn't agree more. This film is the ultimate deinition of an Epic. In fact, in their description, Oxford should change their dictionary definition of EPIC to Lawrence of Arabia!

Nice!

The Dude abides...

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 41
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 22/6/2012 3:11:14 PM   
Spaldron

Me and the gf had one of the best cinema experiences of my life seeing the newly restored version of Lawrence last night at the EIFF. The film was introduced by an official looking guy from Sony who gave a brief account of the 18 month restoration process including how David Lean's editor Anne V. Coates consulted on the project particularly the colour issues. The Sony guy also mentioned that the film would have another screening in London later this year (presumably at the LIFF) for all those wanting to catch a screening of this down south. No mention of a more general release pre the blu-ray.

Thelma Schoonmaker was also in the audience.

As for the film itself there's not much more I can say (in terms of critical appraisal) that hasn't already been said before. What I will say though is that seeing this on the big screen (especially for the first time) is immensely greater than watching it at home and you should jump at the chance to see this in the cinema if you can. Everything about the film is heightened and intensified, from the humorous exchange between Lawrence and General Murray to the massive vistas accompanied by the booming score during those desert crossings. The attack on Aqaba is truly stunning with the floor of the cinema literally shaking, later echoed by the "no prisoners" massacre which looks far more violent and shocking than it ever did on dvd. This is what a truly cinematic experience really means, a near 4 hour epic in glorious widescreen Technicolor. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up several times during the film and I nearly had a tear in my eye at the end. I should point out the specific cut of the film (if you didn't know) will be the 1989 directors cut which as the Sony guy pointed out is the definitive version now. It also came with the full Overture and Intermission which was very welcome. Stunning.

As for the restoration all I can say is Sony have done a stellar job, one of the best I've seen. There's not a single scratch or piece of dirt to be found (although at one point I though I saw dirt which turned out to be a tiny fly whizzing past Alec Guinness' head, a detail lost on dvd). Its also as pin sharp as you can expect to see on a 50 year old film, there are some shots where you can practically count the every grain of sand or every whisker on Omar Shariff's amazing tache. This is particularly welcome as I found the dvd suffered from occasional (if minor) blurring. There is a little bit of grain here and there on the wide shots but that's to be expected on an old film like this and in all honesty will probably only be noticed on larger screens/tv's. The most striking part of the visual restoration I found was the colour, especially those that stand out against the desert. The reds, blues and blacks in particular are deep and vibrant, from the clothing of the Bedouin to Lawrence's striking blue eyes which are deeper than ever, especially on the close ups. Of course the money shots are the ones that stick in the memory, those epic wide shots of the endless desert just pull you into the world, you can practically feel the heat coming off the screen.

They've done some significant work to the sound mix, the one I saw was (presumably) the full lossless digital surround mix. The first thing I noticed was the score which boomed out of every speaker and sounds crystal clear. Same can be said for the sound mix, in particular the dialogue which has definitely been cleaned up. It also sounds less tinny than it did on dvd (whether or not this was as a result of seeing it on the big screen is debatable) but it definitely sounds more powerful and lifelike than before. Obviously though with such high levels of clarity brings up some of the more noticeable inconsistencies, I'm speaking in particular of the ADR done by the actors for the 1989 restoration which in some scenes sound very out of place (particularly Guinness' lines) but tbh one cant really complain about the audio being "too clear". Some of the standout moments include the scene where Lawrence sings to himself, with the echoes bouncing around the room and some of the larger crowd scenes.

All in all it was a joy to see such a masterpiece restored to its former glory and as I pointed out earlier if you can see this on the screen before the blu-ray comes out as I believe seeing it as originally intended will bring a renewed appreciation for this Lean's greatest film.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 24/6/2012 1:25:48 AM >

Post #: 42
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 22/6/2012 4:24:27 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

The Sony guy also mentioned that the film would have another screening in London later this year (presumably at the LIFF) for all those wanting to catch a screening of this down south. No mention of a more general release pre the blu-ray.

The film was confirmed for full theatrical release just this morning. It opens on 16th November, which is a little odd, given that the Blu-ray will probably be out then.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 43
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 22/6/2012 4:27:54 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

The Sony guy also mentioned that the film would have another screening in London later this year (presumably at the LIFF) for all those wanting to catch a screening of this down south. No mention of a more general release pre the blu-ray.

The film was confirmed for full theatrical release just this morning. It opens on 16th November, which is a little odd, given that the Blu-ray will probably be out then

That's awesome, and whether or not the blu is already out I'd still urge to go see it on the biggest screen you can.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 44
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 28/7/2012 3:47:43 AM   
Spaldron

Thread bump.

Having urges to see this again even though I wont really till the blu-ray comes out. I know could watch it again on dvd but it wont be the same as seeing it on the big screen.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 45
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 29/7/2012 10:39:34 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Thread bump.

Having urges to see this again even though I wont really till the blu-ray comes out. I know could watch it again on dvd but it wont be the same as seeing it on the big screen.

Same here! But I can't seem to make the bloody time these day's I envy anyone who's seen it on the big screen!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 46
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 29/7/2012 3:08:00 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

Thread bump.

Same here! But I can't seem to make the bloody time these day's I envy anyone who's seen it on the big screen!

Was ace and my best ever cinematic experience.

Art

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 47
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 1/8/2012 3:55:33 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

Thread bump.

Was ace and my best ever cinematic experience.

Wow. Cannot wait. The film just defines what cinema is made for.

Latest Films:

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 48
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 3/8/2012 11:07:15 AM   
matty_b

It's better than Notting Hill, I'll give it that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 49
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 8:43:54 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Has anyone picked up the blu ray yet? I got it yesterday, and as everyone has already said it's absolutely stunning to behold. Reference quality transfer all the way.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 50
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 10:36:13 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Has anyone picked up the blu ray yet? I got it yesterday, and as everyone has already said it's absolutely stunning to behold. Reference quality transfer all the way.

I've watched it up to the Intermission so far. It has certainly been worth the wait.

I'm waiting for tickets to go on sale at the NFT so I can get to see it as intended.

Just one thing Donovan. Please tell me you have the 3D interpolation turned off for this one?

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 51
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 9:29:09 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

I've watched it up to the Intermission so far. It has certainly been worth the wait.

I'm waiting for tickets to go on sale at the NFT so I can get to see it as intended.

Just one thing Donovan. Please tell me you have the 3D interpolation turned off for this one?

I do yes! I wouldnt tarnish this by having my TV attempt to make it 3D. It looks spectacular enough as it is! Although if given a proper, Titanic style conversion, that would be awesome. Never gonna happen of course but the scope of this movie would really lend itself to an epic 3D presentation.

I'd held off on watching LOA for years as i was waiting for a release like this, so this is the first time i've watched it. What an amazing film.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 52
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 9:36:41 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Although if given a proper, Titanic style conversion, that would be awesome. Never gonna happen of course but the scope of this movie would really lend itself to an epic 3D presentation.

It must never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never happen.

Christ, I don't feel that strongly about Lawrence of Arabia (although I think it's a massively enjoyable film) but even the thought of some tech goon from Sony laying that 3D guff on it boils my piss.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 15/9/2012 9:41:00 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 53
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 9:41:28 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Although if given a proper, Titanic style conversion, that would be awesome. Never gonna happen of course but the scope of this movie would really lend itself to an epic 3D presentation.

It must never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never happen.

Christ, I don't feel that strongly about Lawrence of Arabia (although I think it's a massively enjoyable film) but even the thought of some tech goon from Sony laying that 3D guff on it boils my piss.

Hey man it's just a movie, dont let it boil your piss

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 54
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 9:56:22 PM   
MonsterCat

3D conversions for films that were not intended to be seen in 3D do not work, or at least that's my perception of it.

So I'm not sure how "awesome" LOA would look in that format. It would be 40% darker that's for damn sure.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 55
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 10:19:31 PM   
directorscut

Converting films to 3D is the same bollox as converting black and white films to colour and widescreen films to 4:3.

After a long battle we finally won over those infidels but we must be forever vigilant for a new cell may arise at any time.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 56
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 15/9/2012 11:08:09 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

But the Titanic 3D conversion is so spectacular that it proves it can be done right with catalogue titles. Although no movie should ever be altered without the Directors say so.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 57
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 16/9/2012 1:05:15 AM   
Whistler

They did spend in the region of $18m on the Titanic conversion, so it had better be bloody good.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 16/9/2012 1:27:00 AM >

Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Lawrence of Arabia Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI