Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> LAWRENCE OF ARABIA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA - 11/5/2006 6:45:48 PM   
Mabs

This has to be one of the greatest film's ever made. It is quite simply a marvel of Cinema; there is no other film quite like the beautiful, powerful, exhilarating ride of Lawrence of Arabia!

I remember watching it on TV as a young boy, bits and pieces of it here and there, but it wasn't until I was an adult that I decided to buy it on DVD and watch it from start to finish. Little did I know that it would be a life-changing experience! I was mesmerised by it - drawn to its beauty like an fresh oasis in the arid desert, and the film's magic like a mirage on the horizon! Peter O'Toole captured brilliantly the look, and characteristic of T.E Lawrence; the eccentric dreamer, leader, hero of the Arab revolt against the invading Turk's. But he also captured the dark heart of Lawrence, or 'Aurens' as he was affectionately known by his Arab friends - who looked on to him with awe and wonder. He was an enigma. Flawed yet full of heart, a poet, a statesman, a tortured man with fearful tendencies. A human.

There are so many moments which stick to my mind from the film, like a dream which refuses to fade away. The much talked about, masterful entrance of Sherif Ali, the burning match to sun jump cut, Aqaba, the sea, the war, the train raid - images and moments which are brilliantly realised on screen by the flawless direction of Sir David Lean. And the music by Maurice Jarre is another character in the film entirely. Not to mention the actor's, who bring this film alive.

I love Lawrence of Arabia. Its a film engrained in my being, it is a film of immense artistry, beauty and guile. It is poetry, ecstacy, and the cinematic equivalent of paradise. Allah be praised!

Edited 12.06.12 - Mabs (NW)

< Message edited by Mabs -- 12/6/2012 10:03:45 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Lawrence of Arabia, period! - 11/5/2006 7:04:53 PM   
directorscut

"For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace."

I think there's no better place to start this series than with my favourite film of all time and a completely obvious cinematic masterpiece. There are films that define a time. There are films that define a genre. There are films that define cinema. Lawrence of Arabia defines all three. Within its frames the film captures the essence of a man, a time and place with unparalleled cinematic magic. Although a winner of 7 Oscars and one of the top 100 ticket sellers of all time, most people did not see Lawrence of Arabia the way it was intended until 1989 when David Lean was able to restore the film to his original cut.

The first time I saw the film was on DVD and it’s an experience I shall never forget. Never before had I seen a film that blurred the lines between storytelling and art so much. Never before had I seen a film so assured in visual storytelling. Never before had I been so transplanted into a film’s world. The awesome acting, the stupendous story, the remarkable visuals, the sublime script, the fascinating dialogue and majestic music all combined to make a film experience like none other.

Lawrence of Arabia is played out in five acts, each one of them represents a different part of Lawrence’s psyche. The first act is Lawrence’s introduction into Arabia where he is very much an Englishman – albeit an outcast. The second act concerns his assimilation into Arabia, the taking of Aqaba and his rise to a deity figure. The third portrays Lawrence at the peak of his military career and shows his growing egotism. The fourth act is his capture, torture, mental breakdown and dissertation by his troops. The fifth concerns his comeback, revenge and both his greatest and worst actions; the liberation of Damascus the slaughter of Turks . Each of these contains the clue's to the film's mystery - who was T.E. Lawrence exactly?

In the film Lawrence is portrayed by Peter O'Toole who gives the greatest cinematic performance I have ever seen. From extremes of joyous extremes and heated contempt he dominates the screen with undeniable screen presence and charisma. Watch Lawrence’s scene in the mess hall near the beginning then watch his immense “No prisoners” scene – the change is remarkable. The complexities of the role are never lost on him and he is never lost amidst the vast spaces of sand. O'Toole is superbly supported by an excellent ensemble cast including - Omar Sharif, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins and Claude Rains.

Freddie Young’s 70mm widescreen photography brings the desert alive in such an exciting and absorbing way. The film is simply full of memorable and beautiful scenes such as; Sharif’s introduction, the long pan over the assault on Aqaba or the glorious reveal from a purple flag of Lawrence and Sherif Ali leading their final army. Every shot looks like a great amount of care and attention was paid to it and even mother nature lend her hand to crafting something special.

Although it comes in at over three and a half hours, Lawrence of Arabia never lulls or fails to hold the interest of this viewer. The innovative editing - including some of the most famous examples of direct-cutting - keeps the film moving at a brisk pace. There are no gratuitous scenes. Every scene is a required piece of the puzzle. Maurice Jarre’s phenomenal music also helps keep the film going. I’m sure some of the scenes of people crossing the desert would have been tedious without his music, but with his majestic music transplanted over the images they are simply compulsive viewing.

The epic action scenes are breath-taking in their scope and execution. But what gives them their impact is that Lean is not concerned with the visceral thrill of battle, but rather the effect they have on the battlers. What drives men to war and what do they get from it. The action scenes are succinct and progressive. Everything you see on screen is real and was performed, which just adds to the gob-smacking sense of the shots. It is this sense of realism that deepens the experience.

If one doesn't fall in love with Lawrence of Arabia after viewing the film, perhaps they will gain at least respect for it when they consider that we will never see a film like it again. No studio would take the risk of a project this big that excludes many of their “key demographics” and “film rules”. There are no talking parts for women. There is no love interest. There is no happy ending. Lawrence of Arabia a product of Hollywood showing its balls. An awe-inspiring goliath of cinematic perfection. The best film I can lay claim to having seen.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Mabs)
Post #: 2
RE: Lawrence of Arabia, period! - 12/5/2006 9:33:11 AM   
MOTH

Great review directorscut - agree with everything you say.
A truly brilliant film and i only hope i get the chance someday to see it on the big screen.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 3
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 12/5/2006 11:26:07 AM   
Timon

One of my favorite films. Defines classic.

Every shot is a work of art, every performance perfect.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 12/5/2006 4:42:39 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

It's beautiful. Like the best films, it makes you experience the settings. In this case, I feel like I have journeyed with the mysterious TE Lawrence in the beautiful and terrible Arab desert.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Lawrence of Arabia, period! - 15/5/2006 4:24:35 PM   
Mabs

Thanks for the review directorscut!

Words to express its beauty are as numerous as the stars in the sky -truly magnificent!

Look at Peter O'toole's face as he is leaving the desert and passes by some desert bedouins hoping to find some familiarity in their faces? heartbreaking. Magical.

Second to none!

< Message edited by Mabs -- 12/6/2012 2:57:51 PM >

(in reply to Mabs)
Post #: 6
RE: Lawrence of Arabia, period! - 15/5/2006 5:10:34 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Heartbreaking: now that's an apt term I never thought about with LOA.

Nonetheless it is a tragedy of a man who never quite realised his achievement: uniting the Arabs under one banner.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Mabs)
Post #: 7
RE: Lawrence of Arabia, period! - 2/6/2006 2:21:43 AM   
bobbydee

What a film! That cut from the match to the desert before sunrise is so beautiful and brilliant, i totally agree. went to see this in a cinema and it was the first time i'd ever seen it and it blew me away. it's so epic it puts the modern epic to shame. it's got so much guts to have scene that drag out as we watch LAwrence crawl across the desert yet it's still facinating. Lawrence's journey is heartbreaking, you're right and the love story between Omar Sharif and Peter O'Toole is so underplayed it's practically invisible, which maksesit so powerful, a trait of our man David Lean, a most british filmaker. can't praise this film enough, it's pure cinema and pure genius to boot.

Last five films watched:
Psycho 5/5
The Beach 3/5
Cleo from 5 to 7 5/5
The Boat That Rocked 3/5
The Manchurian Candidate 5/5

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 8
RE: Lawrence of Arabia, period! - 2/6/2006 1:38:26 PM   
goldleader

Its is an amazing film and one that i like to return to every few years.  Dont like the watch to often dont want to spoil the magic.  The only problem i find with it is not the film itself but the fact that its so good that its hard to then go and watch a film of today like Alien V Preditor or The Fast and the Furious, they look and feel like crap, more so than usual, it takes a few weeks for the brain to get used to todays crap again.

(in reply to bobbydee)
Post #: 9
RE: Lawrence of Arabia, period! - 3/6/2006 2:54:41 AM   
bobbydee

quote:

ORIGINAL: goldleader

Its is an amazing film and one that i like to return to every few years.  Dont like the watch to often dont want to spoil the magic.  The only problem i find with it is not the film itself but the fact that its so good that its hard to then go and watch a film of today like Alien V Preditor or The Fast and the Furious, they look and feel like crap, more so than usual, it takes a few weeks for the brain to get used to todays crap again.

we shouldn't have to accept the trash that we are bombarded with nowdays (Alien V Preditor or The Fast and the Furious). these are shit films and should be condemned as utter shit, not accepted as if we can't reach the heights of Lawrence. if they can do it in 1962 then they can bloody welll do it nowadays. there are lots of decent filmakers out there doing their best to combat the bollocks blockbuster. we shouldn't give in to hollywood mediocrity!

Last five films watched:
Psycho 5/5
The Beach 3/5
Cleo from 5 to 7 5/5
The Boat That Rocked 3/5
The Manchurian Candidate 5/5

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 10
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 22/6/2008 9:59:24 AM   
Timon

I watch this film every year and it gets better and better. It is without a doubt, my favorite film of all time.

From the gorgeous scenery, the epic battles, the nuanced performances and the spectacular dialogue, this film defines epic on every level. Be it simply the shots of camels walking over the 'Sun's Anvil' to the slaughter of the Turks, every shot is elegantly framed and shot.

The script is top notch and astoundingly witty. I keep forgetting each time, how funny it is especially the banter between Omar Sharif's Sharif Ali and Quinn's Auda Abu Tayi.
Auda abu Tayi: It is Auda of the Howitat who speaks.
Sherif Ali: It is Ali of the Harith who answers.
Auda abu Tayi: Harith! Ali, does your father still steal?
Sherif Ali: No. Does Auda take me for one of his own bastards?
Auda abu Tayi: No, there is no resemblance. Alas, you resemble your father.
Sherif Ali: Auda flatters me.
Auda abu Tayi: You're easily flattered. I knew your father well.
Sherif Ali: Did you know your own?

The cast is simply amazing - Jack Hawkins, Anthony Quayle, Alec Guinness and the magnificent Claude Rains. Omar Sharif's debut performance has never been better in my eyes. Be it his breathtaking entry ("He is dead") to his final scene where tears fill his eyes at his friend's downfall....it just can't be bettered.

There will never be another film like this ever again. Truely.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to bobbydee)
Post #: 11
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 22/6/2008 7:52:58 PM   
libertine

I'll admit that i could never get through the film when it was shown on tv due to the amount of adverts. I believe this might be the problem for other people who criticise the length of the picture. However as a curious film fan i bought it on dvd to take the film in fully. Alas, i now believe it to be one of my favourite films.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 23/6/2008 1:57:14 PM   
impqueen

Lawrence of Arabia is the reason I love cinema and it is responsible for my passion for film.  

Yes, always.

(in reply to libertine)
Post #: 13
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 4/7/2008 6:17:43 PM   
Timon

Damascus, Lawrence, Damascus!

NO PRISONERS! NO PRISONERS!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 14
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 4/7/2008 6:33:15 PM   
El Becks

Those of you who love this film and love David Lean please vote for him in this thread  Greatest British Director - VOTE NOW

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 4/7/2008 7:58:12 PM   
SN

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Becks

Those of you who love this film and love David Lean please vote for him in this thread  Greatest British Director - VOTE NOW

Will do! LOA is a masterpiece, pure and simple.

Discover the secrets of the map...go to http://www.lulu.com/content/294457 and download the epic fantasy novel 'The Map of the Known World' for FREE!

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 16
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 9/2/2009 4:07:20 PM   
Timon

(in reply to SN)
Post #: 17
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 29/3/2009 9:06:31 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of David Lean's films BUT they are, for the most part, exceptional pieces of Cinematic History. I've seen LAWRENCE OF ARABIA a few times and it was my late Mother's favourite film... hell, I was NAMED after a certain actor in this film (and it ain't PETER O' TOOLE). also, this is the all-time favourite of one Steven Spielberg.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 29/3/2009 10:26:16 PM   
BlueBalls

I know its terrible, but I have not actually seen Lawrence of Arabia, I would like to but have either missed it when its been on television or have not picked it up when DVD shopping. Seems odd, but I really should have seen it by now.

I know, I know, I'll get out  

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 19
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 29/3/2009 11:29:15 PM   
barkers101

I owned this for months before watching it, largely down to having the time and patience to watch such a long film - when i finally chose to watch this i was stunned at its beauty and impressive depth. One of the greatest achievements in cinematic history and Lean's finest film in my opinion. If you haven't seen this *Ahem* Blue Balls *Ahem* then i suggest freeing up a nice Sunday, grabbing some good snacks and immersing yourself in a film experience you will love and never forget.

"Man is born crying, When he has cried enough, he dies"

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

I will join as long as we can spell Mozoguchi's name right

Vote for you Favourite World Cinema DVD here!

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 20
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 30/3/2009 1:24:13 PM   
Cuchulainn

Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful film.It gets better every time I see it.I'm listening to Maurice Jarre's masterpiece score right now by way of paying my respects to the man...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 21
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 3:26:51 AM   
Spaldron

Probably the greatest film ever made is approaching its 50th anniversary and with word of its imminent Blu-Ray transfer and more than likely cinema re-release I thought it time to bump this thread. Might give the dvd one more spin soon for old times sake before its upgrade. This film is surely the reason we love cinema.

Prince Feisal: No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 22
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 8:10:06 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Breathtaking, stunning, beautiful, brilliant, moving.....nothing can match this great film! And nothing ever shall.

It's in my top 5 favourite film's list, hold on top 3 more like!

And it is time for a re-watch!

'we cant all be lion tamers'

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 23
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 9:25:50 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I watch this film every year and it gets better and better. It is without a doubt, my favorite film of all time.

From the gorgeous scenery, the epic battles, the nuanced performances and the spectacular dialogue, this film defines epic on every level. Be it simply the shots of camels walking over the 'Sun's Anvil' to the slaughter of the Turks, every shot is elegantly framed and shot.

The script is top notch and astoundingly witty. I keep forgetting each time, how funny it is especially the banter between Omar Sharif's Sharif Ali and Quinn's Auda Abu Tayi.
Auda abu Tayi: It is Auda of the Howitat who speaks.
Sherif Ali: It is Ali of the Harith who answers.
Auda abu Tayi: Harith! Ali, does your father still steal?
Sherif Ali: No. Does Auda take me for one of his own bastards?
Auda abu Tayi: No, there is no resemblance. Alas, you resemble your father.
Sherif Ali: Auda flatters me.
Auda abu Tayi: You're easily flattered. I knew your father well.
Sherif Ali: Did you know your own?

The cast is simply amazing - Jack Hawkins, Anthony Quayle, Alec Guinness and the magnificent Claude Rains. Omar Sharif's debut performance has never been better in my eyes. Be it his breathtaking entry ("He is dead") to his final scene where tears fill his eyes at his friend's downfall....it just can't be bettered.

There will never be another film like this ever again. Truely.

THIS.

An excellent summation!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 10:35:15 AM   
Whistler

Yeah, great review directorscut.

It was my uncle who first got me to watch it. Since the first time I told him I was really into film, he always has a new list of films for me to watch when I see him. One of the films on said lists was Lawrence Of Arabia. When I got home I went out to HMV, bought a copy on DVD, sat down in front of a big TV and pressed play. Needless to say, the next three-and-a-bit hours were a passing glance as I was almost hypnotised by the beauty of the film. I was in awe of O'Toole's central performance, the stunning cinematography, and Lean's sheer bravery. There are few directors nowadays who would have the guts to use such long takes, like this one: Sherif Ali's arrival

Usually this would just be cut so we would see Ali in the distance, then he'd arrive at the well; we wouldn't see him riding towards us for a couple of minutes. But Lean isn't in a rush. He doesn't feel the need to speed it up and move on to the next scene, because he knows that this is a pivotal moment in the film and in Lawrence's life. He's giving Sherif Ali the introduction he deserves. That, for me, encapsulates the whole film: a sprawling, vast biopic that's telling a story the way it wants and needs to be told, without conforming to any particular filmmaking "rules". With the exception of maybe the Scorsese's or Speilberg's, we just wouldn't see this today.

And somehow every shot is just bloody beautiful.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 25
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 11:01:53 AM   
st3veebee

It's one of my joined favourite films ever. Perfect score, the greatest cinematography of all time, outstanding performances, epic set pieces, beautiful dialogue and a thoroughly engaging plot.

Simply a rare moment when everthing went right in a film.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 4:10:36 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

It's one of my joined favourite films ever.

What's it tied with?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 27
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 4:19:40 PM   
st3veebee

Jaws, Amelie, Back to the Future come instantly to mind.

Oh and Pans Labyrinth.

.............and The Apartment.

and several others I cant think of now that I will regret not mentioning.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 28
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 21/3/2012 9:48:13 PM   
Cool Breeze

I have never seen this film.

I might give it a watch if its on telly on a rainy sunday afternoon.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 29
RE: Lawrence of Arabia - 22/3/2012 1:31:19 PM   
goldleader

Any news on a release date for both the Blu-Ray and the Cinema release?

I have to admitt i haven't watched this for about 5 years and i would love to see it on the big screen.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> LAWRENCE OF ARABIA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI