Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Goonies - 10/5/2006 8:49:44 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
One Of The Best - 10/5/2006 8:49:45 PM   
chiefjedi66

One of the best adventure films ever, that still holds up today. The goonies is an example to all single-serving adventure films of today (PJ Excluded)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: One Of The Best - 10/5/2006 9:26:38 PM   
Monkey Wrench

I LUUUURVE this film. When I was a nipper I actually went in search for the perfect drain-hole, under which I'd find adventure filled with mayhem and mystery and possibly a cash reward. I'm still looking...

Who put the brakes on courage?

(in reply to chiefjedi66)
Post #: 3
RE: One Of The Best - 11/5/2006 10:16:17 AM   
Electric Babarella

My favourite movie from my childhood, and I still watch it today. It's a great adventure movie, the chemistry between the kids is fantastic - they're such wonderful characters, especially Chunk. They fulfill every kid's dream to play at being Indianna Jones. The whole thing is so much fun.

I wished my childhood was like this, and this movie still brings back happy memories.

5/5

When I had super-intelligence there was too much pressure to use it. All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to Business School.

(in reply to Monkey Wrench)
Post #: 4
RE: The Goonies - 11/5/2006 7:55:21 PM   
LoganX

Tell you what I like about this film, the music.

Cyndi Lauper's Goonies are good enough is a great track and the incidental music is very atmospheric

Post #: 5
RE: The Goonies - 12/5/2006 5:47:44 PM   
AgentGoth

I would have loved to have had adventures like those of the Goonies. It's such a fantastic film, with all the characters being superb.

Heeeeyyyyy yooooouuuuu guuuuuyyyyyssss!!!

Top notch film.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

(in reply to LoganX)
Post #: 6
RE: The Goonies - 13/5/2006 12:21:48 AM   
kingp_35

Brilliant movie, one my favs if not my fav movie from my childhood. It has everything you want, great characters, comedy, action, adventure, bad guys, car chases, pirates, water slides it just has the lot. The characters are all brilliant especially Chunk and Sloth. In fact Goonies is one of my all time favs full stop. I recently showed it to my 8 year old brother and he loved it so much he watched it again straight away.

easily 5/5

My Movie Forum

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 7
4 stars?? - 13/5/2006 12:28:30 AM   
JCRendle

Why does such a great film - loved by young and old alike - only get 4 stars? It should have the Unmissable/Classic

< Message edited by JCRendle -- 13/5/2006 12:30:05 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: 4 stars?? - 14/5/2006 1:32:47 PM   
westwood2000

Goonies is one of the best. It always reminds me of being a kid when I see it:) Sean Astin was a bit more bearable back then, too.

(in reply to JCRendle)
Post #: 9
RE: 4 stars?? - 14/5/2006 9:52:56 PM   
Conductor71

I'd never seen The Goonies till last summer, when I was at Glastonbury, and they showed it at about 12 at night, in the cinema field.

It was alright, but I suspect it's more magic if you've seen it as a child.

I did spend the entire time wondering why everyone kept shouting "hey you guys"

One is starved for Technicolor up there.

(in reply to westwood2000)
Post #: 10
The Goonies - 20/8/2006 9:48:28 AM   
Bond

I love The Goonies i'm 13 and i have just recently bought the goonies for my psp. I had seen it once before but couldn't remember it much, but watching it now i'm surprised i didn't hav eit on video. The script is great, the soundtrack is great, the cast is great and its full of fun. They rarely make movies like this anymore, you never see the truffle shuffle anymore. This film has some of the biggest childhood stars of that day, Sean Astin, Corey Fledman, Ke Huy Kuan (is that how you spell it?) and plenty more. Chunk is funny espaically when he is telling the Phetellies (spelling probably worng) everything, but he takes it literally. Of course there is Sloth the deformed brother who finds friendship with Chunk. All in alll this is a great film and GIVE IT A FIVE. All together now HEEEY YOOOU GUUUYS!

Post #: 11
- 16/2/2007 8:16:16 PM   
ukedge87

Without a shadow of a doubt, this film will have a place in cinematic history as one of the greatest cross-ever flicks ever! I just watched it and as an adult, its just as entertaining as it was when I first watched when I was 8. And it still took all my might not to yell out 'Hey yoooooou guys' as the credits rolled.

Strong child performances, a snappy script and some stunning special effects mean this isn't the sort of 80s flick you enjoy because of nostaglia (e.g. Karate Kid) but because it still holds true to the day.

Donner directs it gracefully, not dumbing down his camera direction or darker style for kids, and I think this is what originally drew me to the flick. That despite it being aimed at children, it still has its actors yelling 'shit' when their scared etc.

Classic!

Post #: 12
HEY YOU GUYS! - 1/6/2007 6:25:53 PM   
JokerJr

Thats all i really wanted to say! It is that good a movie!

Post #: 13
- 30/4/2008 2:09:47 PM   
nazza121

I can't remember how many times i've watched this movie, it is SO great! it caters for everyone, children and adults. By far one of my ultimate fave movies of all time, never fails to make me laugh, the adventures they go through is what every kid wants to do, just brilliant!
Here's a tip, if you've got the dvd, watch it with the commentary - it's the entire cast and is SOOOO cool, well worth it, beleive me.

Post #: 14
Funny, Adventure And Swearing?! - 18/6/2008 9:08:36 AM   
joanna likes films

The Goonies is one of those movie that will always be a instant classic, there are so much stuff in it that makes you smile, laugh and cry at. But why do the kids have to swear? They look under tweleve and they are saying the s word like it's normal! The annoying Chunk makes me sick, even when he does the shake! I can't eat when he does that, ugh! But there is some eye candy for me, a young Josh Brolin before he went on to do some amazing movies. He's hot and I like a bit of him! A very good kids movie if you mind the swearing and some scary scenes.

Post #: 15
Excellent - 9/7/2008 1:27:14 AM   
pleakhouse

Worth watching just for the bit at the end with Sloth
*perplexed expression* "FALL!!! DROP!!!"

Post #: 16
RE: Excellent - 9/7/2008 3:55:14 PM   
shool

An absolute classic.

I grew up on this and films like it. All I can see is 5 stars through these rose tinted spectacles.

Awesome.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to pleakhouse)
Post #: 17
RE: Excellent - 9/7/2008 4:46:46 PM   
Harley Quinn

I love this film. I like most others here grew up watching it and I still have to watch it everytime it comes on the telly.

"Ice-cream I smell Ice-cream"

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 9/7/2008 4:50:08 PM >

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 18
RE: Excellent - 9/7/2008 6:45:24 PM   
skeletonjack

I first saw The Goonies by chance as I'd queued for ages to see Back To The Future only for it to sell out before I got in (It was ok though, I saw it the next week!). Someone who worked in the cinema came outside and said there were two seats left for The Goonies so my dad shouted up and nabbed them! I was eight when I saw it and just loved the movie and to this day it's appeal has always been there for me. Its a brilliant family film, and one of the few that speaks to people of all ages. and that's Good Enough For Me: 5 stars

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 19
- 22/6/2009 11:14:36 PM   
TheGodfather

Even after 687 viewings it`s still awesome. Excellent children`s adventure that I can still really enjoy. It`s great to see how the kids portray their characters, they give them a lot of humor and they know to convince in the more serieus parts. The sets are gorgeous and although the bad guys are cliché, it doesn`t take anything away from the film.
The ultimate kids adventure that`s highly enjoyable for adults as well.

8,0/10

Post #: 20
One of the classics, a great, fun, family adventure....... - 10/8/2009 2:54:02 PM   
WhiteRabbit23

One of the best, old-style, family adventure films!
It doesn't have to rely on massive sets, special effects etc to make it effective, the story and the characters and a fairly basic set are what make this film so unforgettable.
It's timeless, one of the classics, and a harmless family adventure that every child should be able to watch while growing up, and every adult should be able to rewatch whenever they want.

The character of 'Data' is amazinng, i remember loving his character of 'short round' in 'Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom' haha he's still brilliant in 'The Goonies' with all his gadgets haha!

And Chunk is hilarioussss! The truffle shuffle part makes me laugh everytime and where he finds bullet holes lmaoooo

And its mad how long it took for me to realise that a young 'Sean Astin' is in it.

I would reccommend this film to anyone of any age!

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Goonies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI