Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Rejoice!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Rejoice! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 29/7/2006 2:38:55 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Here's the advert for Studio 60 that was seen a couple of times on More4 during The West Wing finale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCgI4qPyo54

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 121
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 29/7/2006 1:14:36 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Sorry for the double post, just to let everyone know that the pilot has made its way onto the internet!

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 122
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 29/7/2006 1:46:04 PM   
James2183

Two questions:

1. Is there any date as to when Studio 60 hits More4? Because if there is a chance it is on the horizon pretty soon then I don't want to download the torrent now and view it on a smaller screen.

2. Is Sorkin clean now?

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 123
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 29/7/2006 1:52:25 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

1.) I don't think it'll debut till January. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to American shows the U.K channels can't finish running the season until the U.S channel has. With U.K audiences used to shows airing on consecutive weeks (with the rare two week break) it means that they can't start airing till January. In theory it could air in September but then they'd have to have massive breaks inbetween episodes, which we'd all hate.

2.) I hope not - The West Wing was at its peak when he was high, that's no coincidence

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 124
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 29/7/2006 2:01:04 PM   
James2183

Was he high on Sports Night as well? Because if he was, then someone give him some coke! 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 125
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 29/7/2006 9:52:45 PM   
silverado

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

1.) I don't think it'll debut till January. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to American shows the U.K channels can't finish running the season until the U.S channel has. With U.K audiences used to shows airing on consecutive weeks (with the rare two week break) it means that they can't start airing till January. In theory it could air in September but then they'd have to have massive breaks inbetween episodes, which we'd all hate.

So the advert last night saying 'Coming Soon' was probably a bit misleading. It's a shame cos I'm really looking forward to it.

Post #: 126
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 30/7/2006 11:07:15 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

My review of the pilot, chock full of spoilers:

I loved it all, from the very first frame. Everything was so fast paced, absolutely classic Sorkin and Schlamme.

The breakdown of Wes Mendell was excellent to watch, from the opening argument aboard the fake subway train to his 'no kidding' response to being fired. The tension in the rant scene was fantastic, with the quick cuts between Wes and the control room making it even better. The only negative I have about Wes is that he's not a regular character and is unlikely to show up often.

It was great seeing Felicity Huffman show up. She's wasted on Desperate Housewives and I wonder if she's kicking herself for not being available as a regular. I do kinda wish that she was plaing a fictional character so she could join the cast full time at a later date

I agree with Vertigo - Jordan being unable to find her office was very funny. What made it brilliant though was the reaction by Jack Rudolph. His exasperated pursing of his lips had me chuckling. He's the bastard in the story but Weber was probably the best actor of the lot in the pilot. He'll probably become more likeable over time, but I love him already.

Perry and Whitford were just 'on' as best friends and partners. You can tell how strong their relationship is and it'll be great to see that develop. For me, the pair are the most high profile cast members. I expected to be reminded constantly that I was watching Chandler and Josh but the thought didn't cross my mind.

The 'Big Three' didn't get much screentime (and I loved the joke in the boardroom with an exec thinking 'Big Three' meant car companies - that too was followed by an exasperated response by the excellent Weber). I liked Paulson a lot. Very feminine and absolutely gorgeous. The three seemed to have a solid friendship. And what I like is that despite a lot of changes occuring in their world, the majority of the group are friends from their previous time on the show.. That group mentality was so important in Sports Night and The West Wing. Only Peet and Weber's characters fall outside the group and it'll be hard to integrate them. Having NBS headquarters across the street from the Studio 60 building is a step in the right direction. But realistically, how much time can Jordan and Jack spend focusing on one show?

The set - magnificent. Absolutely massive too. Three floors full of stages, dressing rooms and offices. The 'walk and talks' will go on for ages.

There were so many little details that made the show seem so real, from the graffiti covering almost every inch of the studio to the blink and you'll miss it shots of the 'Big Three' in various costumes all over the place.

My only minor complaint is that so much happened. I think a two hour pilot would have been better and they could have spent longer setting up the breakdown of Wes and spent more time on smaller characters (though I did begin to like several small characters, ie the PA)

Genius. Now, roll on September 25th when episode two hits!

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 127
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 30/7/2006 3:35:44 PM   
potus

For anyone who really can't wait, the whole pilot is on YouTube right now. Search for "Studio 60" and it's in four parts right at the top. It probably won't be there for long, so act now.

Edit: Five parts, not four.

< Message edited by potus -- 30/7/2006 4:06:44 PM >

"But what I say to you, Glasgow, is could an invisible cloud of shit-smelling gas with its own Channel 4 show be any less funny than the Friday Night Project?"

Post #: 128
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 31/7/2006 2:17:49 AM   
Underscore

Nice review Barefoot.

Shame, I don't have broadband right at this moment

Damn you dial up! Damn you!

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to potus)
Post #: 129
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 31/7/2006 2:38:37 AM   
furrybastard

I downloaded the pilot yesterday and shall be watching it soon!

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 130
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 31/7/2006 3:02:57 PM   
Spider

quote:

I can't believe they would put an advert on saying 'Coming Soon' for a show they are beginning in January. I think it will be here sooner than that, possibly early September?

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

Post #: 131
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 1/8/2006 2:37:45 PM   
elab49

I liked the circular references to Chayefsky - as everyone watching would already be saying, but isn't this Network!?

I'd have put the bastard as the standards guy - and it may be easier to include the execs than you think if this is the networks flagship programme. It makes it, then, a big part of their job. THe one we are less likely to see is, unfortunately, Asner. Why don't they repeat Lou Grant?

It is clear that Sorkin is not happy with a lot of people and having great fun ripping them to shreds - and the religious stuff, if they keep it up, might be very interesting indeed. After all - they ripped into the republicans but had nice Ainsley to 'balance' - Paulson seems to be playing almost exactly the same part.

I too am sorry to see Judd Hirsch go - wonderful actor. And I guess it shows Sports Night was a good set too, if Huffman popped back for a self-deprecating cameo.

But the moment which was pure Sorkin and the line easily from West Wing? "54 seconds and I'd have given you a raise". Whitford reminded me more of Leo than Josh

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 132
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 1/8/2006 2:54:07 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

I just realised that Sharkboy's favourite line was cut. He won't be happy!

Yeah, Whitford was definitely more Leo than Josh which is interesting. He's the cool head with the addictive personality.

Can't wait to see more. Oh, and the official NBC site can now be found here: http://www.studio60theseries.com/. It's just a placeholder just now but it's a pretty cool cast photo (with Paulson and Peet looking smoking hot). Makes sense that the Studio 60 workers will wear casual clothes almost all the time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 133
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 1/8/2006 3:20:41 PM   
theram05

RTE usually are in the habit of picking these shows up before More4 BBC SKY etc, they had Band of Brothers, The WestWing, The Soprano's, Desperate Housewives, etc all before their English neighbours, anyone got any word on whethr they've nabbed this beauty?

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

Post #: 134
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 1/8/2006 5:17:57 PM   
BlackJackBauer

Just watched the pilot have to say that i am impressed. It dont think the show has as good a ensemble cast as TWW did but with Sorokin the writing should make up for it

Ray when someone asks you if you are a god you say YES!

Post #: 135
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 2/8/2006 1:38:37 AM   
Mycroft

Pure class. Don't really have to say much else, not a dud bit of casting between them. I doubt the show will have mass appeal but as long as it lasts at least 3 seasons I'll be happy. It does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity losing Hirsch in the first 10 minutes of the show, such a great character and actor, but I'm sure they can work in him occasionally. The ending gave me goosebumps, easily the strongest pilot so far but what else would you expect from Sorkin?

(in reply to BlackJackBauer)
Post #: 136
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 2/8/2006 7:41:23 AM   
Wrath

I liked the pilot, but liked not loved. I thought it read snappier on the page and there seemed to be something missing from it. I watched the West Wing pilot again recently and I think that Studio 60 fell short of that standard (a high standard to be sure).

If it was a pilot I hadn't read and didn't know was Sorkin, I'd have probably not felt slight disappointment, but as it is it was very good, not great. I expect it to really kick on from here.  

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave and looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 137
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 2/8/2006 6:54:04 PM   
furrybastard

I thought it was great, superior to The West Wing pilot and with potential to be an even better show (I like TWW but not as much as some people). The only slight problem was the actress playing the new studio president - was it me or did she just stare into the distance a lot? She looked stoned when she wasn't talking 

Anyway, I'll definitely be watching this show next year!

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 138
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 2/8/2006 9:48:14 PM   
TobiasFunke

Great pilot, and I have every faith in Sorkin to produce a series that is the equal to his excellent works in the past. I hope Judd Hirsch returns in some capacity (even for one episode would be great) and I enjoyed the dynamic between Whitford and Perry.  

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 139
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 2/8/2006 10:01:56 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

I know it seems a bit early to say this, but I'd love to see flashbacks to when Wes was running the show before Matt and Danny left. I'm sure we will at one point.

I love how Sorkin populates his cast with such strong actors, from the top on down. The guy who argued with Wes and Cal at the beginning was brilliant, as was the P.A. Donna Murphy was strong as Danny's agent and I liked Cal's right hand woman. Anyone notice the White House reporter from The West Wing at the awards dinner?

Also it can't be forgotten that Evan Handler and Carlos Jacott still have to make their debut. All we saw of them in the pilot was their reactions to Wes's rant, all their lines were cut.

I wasn't overly impressed by Peet but she'll improve once she becomes a little more familiar with Sorkin's trademark rhythm.

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 140
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 4/8/2006 4:32:16 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

I just realised that Sharkboy's favourite line was cut. He won't be happy!

You know, I enjoyed the show so much I didn't even notice the absence of the thing But I'm certain it'll return, you wait and see....

Anyway, on with the review.  It's got the feel of Sports Night with the class of West Wing.  How could it possible fail?  And what a script! 

"We're not sure what sister screwing show he's talking about?", 
"I don't know where my office is",
"I'm sorry about Matt.  I'm a big fan of his and I like him a lot."  "I'm a big fan of his and I hate his breathing guts!",
"Ironically, I'm the one whose as high as a paper kite right now, but legitimately".
"I don't care if it was an album of the three wise men covering the Doobie Brothers.  You put on a dress and sang for a bigot!"

It's been said already, but it really did only take the blink of an eye to stop seeing Chandler and Josh and start seeing Matt and Danny instead (though the glasses probably helped in Danny's case).  There's such a chemistry between these two already, superbly highlighted by the "big shoulders" speech in the taxi prop (which for me just beat the "if you'd gone 54 seconds I'd have given you a raise" line for the most West-Wing like script) 

It took a while to warm to Jordan, but I guess that was intentional.  But by the time she told Rudolph of the dual masturbation show in development I was putty in her hands  The future Jordan/Danny/Rudolph clashes should make for some great TV.  The rest of the cast show great potential (i've a feeling that we'll be seeing a lot more of Suzanne the PA in future shows...)   But please, please don't let that be the last we see of Judd Hirsch - there's a lot more that Wes can contribute, I just know it.  Especially after Rudolph revealled Wes' role in the firing of Matt and Danny first time around.  The show just needs that Bartlet father-figure to curb the excesses of Matt.

I'm just wondering how long the real-life execs are going to put up with Sorkin using their fictional equivalents as punching bags!  He certainly didn't pull those punches either - from Wes' magnificent speech to Danny's response to Jordan - "I've no reason to trust you and every reason not to - you work in television".  And if real life is anything to go by, there's a limit to the amount of baiting of the religious right that the networks will allow too.  But Sorkin has already shown that he can skirt close to controversial issues in the past - as long as he doesn't let his vendettas get in the way!

Now, all he needs to do is create a role for Richard Schiff and we've got some perfect TV again!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 141
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 4/8/2006 4:56:48 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

The show just needs that Bartlet father-figure to curb the excesses of Matt.

I agree with that. From Isaac Jaffee in Sports Night to Leo McGarry and Jed Bartlet in The West Wing, the father-figure has been an important part of Sorkin's prior shows. It seems that to me that the role this time round falls to Whitford's Danny Tripp (younger than previous examples but with similar character traits). But I do almost wish that the show had Wes as a main character running the show with Matt and Danny working beneath him. Sorkin knows what he's doing though!

Anyone heard of the public screening during the Edinburgh Television Festival? Very tempting - Sorkin and Schlamme are appearing via video link.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 142
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 5/8/2006 12:01:23 PM   
LB Jeffries

Yep, I heard about the Sorkin appearace. Hopefully some nice soul will see fit to video it and post it on YouTube.
I still haven't watched the pilot yet, mainly because I don't want to watch it and then have to wait ages for future episodes. I loved watching 24 last year because I managed to download every episode and then not watch anything until the series had finished. Watching a whole show in sequence in one sitting is brilliant. Not sure if I can manage it with Studio 60, though!

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

Post #: 143
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 7/8/2006 10:26:15 AM   
Underscore

Anyone know where a working torrent link is for it? I can't seem to find one....

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 144
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 7/8/2006 11:26:32 AM   
sharkboy

Mininova had a well-seeded working torrent last Wednesday - I think there's a link above.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 145
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 7/8/2006 1:03:09 PM   
matthewforan

Hi where can i find the pilot I tried looking for it on Lime Wire but nothing comes up.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 146
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 7/8/2006 1:06:22 PM   
TobiasFunke

Anybody know what date the public screening of Studio 60 is on?

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 147
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 7/8/2006 1:31:07 PM   
Underscore

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Mininova had a well-seeded working torrent last Wednesday - I think there's a link above.

I can't see any link and the mininova torrent has been removed. Apparantly bitmetv.org has it but it's an invite only site

I need my Sorkin and today is the only chance I have to download it for several weeks!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 148
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 7/8/2006 4:32:07 PM   
Mycroft

Type "studio sunset preair" without the quotes into google and you'll get what you want. I think I'm still seeding it on the torrentreactor one.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 149
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 11/8/2006 12:14:36 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Apparently Amanda Peet is three months pregnant so that could cause some problems...

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Rejoice! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI