Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 4:41:14 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

You're probably above this Vertigo, but I say it anyway: leeeeeeeeeak.

Or at least tell us what you think after you've watched it tonight!

And HIM's game has gotten the best of me. It is indeed impossible to say five times fast.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 91
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 4:52:25 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

You're probably above this Vertigo, but I say it anyway: leeeeeeeeeak.

Or at least tell us what you think after you've watched it tonight!

I'll certainly tell you what I think, but no leak for two reasons:

1 - Seriously, more than my jobs worth.
2 - I have neither the facility, or the know how, to rip from VHS and then make it into a downloadable file. I am, in every respect, a technological cripple. 

(I'd better be able to pry the wife away from Big Brother tonight!)

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 92
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 5:01:24 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

That's cool, wouldn't expect you to leak it even if you knew how. I just hope there's someone out there who wants to lose their job!

Big Brother vs. Aaron Sorkin, Brad Whitford and Matt Perry. Tough choice!

Interested to hear what you think though as the majority of reviewers thus far think the show is good but not great. I think it'll improve once they get over the pilot though.

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 20/6/2006 5:02:43 PM >

Post #: 93
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 9:34:01 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip is very good.

Scratch that.

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip is very, very good.

Actually, it's pretty much across the board excellent.

I finished watching it about 5 minutes ago, and after I post this, I'm going to watch it again, because I think there is so much in there - just in the dialogue - that I missed first time round it deserves a second watch just to catch a gem that fell through the net.

First and foremost, it's a much stronger pilot that the pilot for The West Wing (and I say this as an absolute fan of WW) - remember with that they weren't sure about the character dynamics, and it was a few shows in before they realised that it was Bartlett who was the heart of the show, the father to the family as it were. Sorkin has obviously realised that what he excells at it using the family dynamic and hits the ground running on this one.

A pilot has to cram in so much - it's almost a curse for that vital first episode, but here the characters are so fully written, their interaction so clear and delineated, that someone with absolutely no knowledge of how TV works will not feel left out.

***SPOILERS AHOY***

It opens on a studio night for the SNL-like show. Producer Wes Mendell (a wonderfully haggard Judd Hirsch) is told a sketch is to be cut by the network (a controversial Christian-baiting sketch) so he invades the set, live on air, to deliver a tirade about the spineless network in a Peter Finch Network style rant.

This on air controversy is the starting point for the main characters (Wes is great, but I fear he'll be an occasional guest star at best). Interstital titles introduce us to them: first Jordan, newly appointed President of the network. Her first night is going to be a hectic one. With the suits in freefall about what to do, she remains calm - and very witty - and proposes they hire disgraced ex-showrunners Matt Albie and Danny Tripp to try and control the news cycle. Head of the network isn't happy about it - he's clearly the bad guy in the setup.

Danny and Matt, witer/director team - we meet them at an awards ceremony where Matt is up for an award. He's also ripped to the tits on prescription drugs including Vicadin and Percoset, so a little manic. As he wins the award, Danny is called out to take a call about the show. They're naturally suspicious.

The Big Three: stars of the show, wondering if they even have a job any more. One of them, Harriet, acrtress and singer, has recently had a messy break up with Matt.

The network has Matt and Danny over a barrel. They're set to start on a film, but they know (and Matt doesn't) that Danny just failed a drug test and can't get a completion bond to make a film for 18 months. They're coerced into taking on the show - but really, they want it anyway...

***SPOILERS END***

My hurried precis doesn't do it justice. It's tightly plotted and moved at a hell of a pace. The chemistry between Matt and Danny is just magnificent - Matthew Perry has never been better, and not a sign of Chandler.

But it's the dialogue you'll die for. Staccato, funny, sparkling - it's vintage Sorkin here, putting into sharp relief how flat WW became until the last half of season 7, and even then...

He knows how to write an ensemble piece, and this promises to be every bit as good as WW in terms of characters.

It's really good. You'll love it. And in a lovely nod to WW, Bradley Whitford dons his jacket in a very Bartlett way: swooshed over the head. It was a nice touch.

Of course, quality doesn't mean long running. Cross your fingers this doesn't go the way of Firefly.

< Message edited by Vertigo...Woo.Yay. -- 20/6/2006 9:37:07 PM >

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

Post #: 94
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 10:03:41 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Vertigo, I think I love you. Glad to see you enjoyed the pilot so much and any other thoughts after your next viewing would be much appreciated. And I love the sound of the Bartlet shoutout by Whitford.

I cannot wait to see this. And I'm sure subsequent episodes will be even better, which is saying something.

Post #: 95
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 10:22:52 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

It's all about the dialogue folks.

"I want to talk to you in my office"

She walks out.

Very long pause.

"I don't know where my office is."

Just one of the fresh laughs I got second time round. Obviously sounds crap transcribed here, but it is a good'un.

What really impressed me about it is how tight and fully formed it is. For example, I really thought I'd take a while to not look at Bradley Whitford and not think 'Josh Lyman'. Yes there are mannerisms from Whitford - pauses, cadences - which are reminiscent, but he's so well drawn it's immaterial.

Timothy Busfield as the show director - I really hope he plays a larger role in shows to come because he's great in this (and clean shaven. He looks about 12). Ooh, another great line (probably inaccurate but hey, it's the gist...):

"You let Wes go for 53 seconds."
"Yeah..."
"If it had been 54, I'd have given you a raise."

Can't wait for it to start.

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

Post #: 96
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 10:59:36 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Couple questions - What are the sets like? The pilot cost $3 million so I imagine they must be pretty extravagant. How was the actress playing Harriet Hayes? A few reports said she wasn't that great. Who was the weakest actor?

Really glad you say Perry is excellent. I was slightly worried about him but happy I was wrong.

So jealous of you Vertigo, desperate to see this!

Post #: 97
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 21/6/2006 9:20:03 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

The sets are very good. Obviously the main one is Studio 60 itself, so we're talking about having to use an entire real sound stage to create an entire fake one, from the audience to backstage.

Of course, the first sketch we see from the show is set in the Oval Office.

***More mild spoilers***

The actress playing Harriet (sorry, can't remember her real name) is, if we're being ruthless, the least defined character, but I think that's partially because in the pilot she's the least interesting in terms of backstory. She's Matt Albies ex and they broke up because of an appearence she made on The 700 Club, a (real) US evangelist Christian show hosted by neocon Pat Robertson (or it could be Jerry Falwell. Either way, a real bigot). The performance is fine, but you'd hope she grows into the role and the role itself develops more.

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

Post #: 98
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 21/6/2006 1:52:33 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

She's Matt Albies ex and they broke up because of an appearence she made on The 700 Club, a (real) US evangelist Christian show hosted by neocon Pat Robertson (or it could be Jerry Falwell. Either way, a real bigot).

Strangely this happened in real life between Aaron Sorkin and Kristin Chenoweth (Annabeth in TWW) when they were dating. There's a lot of real life stuff. I mean, Matt Albie is basically Aaron Sorkin and Danny Tripp is Thomas Schlamme. At the same time, Danny has some things in common with Sorkin - the drug addiction being one. And in the original pilot script he was dating a journalist, as Sorkin did too.

Post #: 99
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 22/6/2006 3:25:12 AM   
Underscore

1) I'm very jealous of Vertigo, grr....

2) I'm very excited by what he's said. I've just finished watching Season 2 of The West Wing and Sorkin quite simply rules. Studio 60 sounds brilliant. And I was right about the Whitford/Perry teamup working, so I'm so so happy!

Sorkin, Schlamme, Whitford, Snuffy.... it sounds so good!

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

Post #: 100
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 22/6/2006 12:10:10 PM   
Wrath

Oh yes. I am still heart broken about Firefly. I pray this doesn't go the same way.

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave and looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

Post #: 101
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 22/6/2006 12:30:09 PM   
Underscore

Nah, don't be silly. Studio 60 has the The West Wing conscious audience knowing about it, some huge names in Whitford, Amanda Peet and Matthew Perry - still a fairly huge star in television terms, with a seemingly successful to be aired pilot. In relation, Firefly - a indescribable western/comedy/action/adventure/sci-fi (yet brilliant) show put immediately on the backburners schedule with the pilot essentially refilmed, with a cast of (again, awesome but still) no-namers.

It won't be the same. Plus, it's not at Fox

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 102
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 22/6/2006 2:26:45 PM   
Wrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Underscore

Nah, don't be silly. Studio 60 has the The West Wing conscious audience knowing about it, some huge names in Whitford, Amanda Peet and Matthew Perry - still a fairly huge star in television terms, with a seemingly successful to be aired pilot. In relation, Firefly - a indescribable western/comedy/action/adventure/sci-fi (yet brilliant) show put immediately on the backburners schedule with the pilot essentially refilmed, with a cast of (again, awesome but still) no-namers.

True, and Fox are hilariously inept. This looks a good sell on paper, but then I thought that about Commander in Chief and that sank.

Then again, that was shite.

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave and looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 103
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 22/6/2006 3:00:08 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Underscore

True, and Fox are hilariously inept. This looks a good sell on paper, but then I thought that about Commander in Chief and that sank.

Then again, that was shite.

While I'm not really sure Commander in Chief was such a good sell on paper, the creator didn't really have an big hits and the cast doesn't feature any big names, that show didn't sink the same way Firefly did. CIC was a ratings hit for the first few weeks, I remember ABC celebrating that they had another hit on their hands. Only after the first few weeks did the ratings dramatically drop, and the show was moved around. Firefly was aired out of order, dates changing weekly, so no one ever had a chance to start watching.

I haven't seen CIC, but the evidence points to it sinking because it wasn't very good, and that large audience weren't willing to stand by it week to week.

NBC had a very bad year last year, they payed a lot to get this show, so I'm sure they are going to give it all the advertising and support it needs. If it fails, I think it will be the audiences fault rather then the network. Also, hype may bring this down. People may tune in expecting to watch the greatest thing ever written, and if it isn't upto that high standard (and most Pilots aren't) they may just forget about it.

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 104
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 24/6/2006 2:46:07 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Studio 60 should be fine for at least a season. As long as they promote Matthew Perry as the star people will watch. Plus it's NBC's biggest new show, they'll be advertising it constantly in the States. The built in West Wing audience should keep it safe.

Still waiting for a leak

Yay, 1000th post!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 105
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 24/6/2006 7:58:43 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

While I'm not really sure Commander in Chief was such a good sell on paper, the creator didn't really have an big hits and the cast doesn't feature any big names, that show didn't sink the same way Firefly did. CIC was a ratings hit for the first few weeks, I remember ABC celebrating that they had another hit on their hands.

Geena Davis and Donald Sutherland ring any bells??

CiC had promise but was always going to be "West Wing lite".  It wasn't really the show's fault (apart from pretty much copying the WW credits, even down to the same pose against the Oval Office window!); it just didn't stand up to too close a comparison with its elder and better.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 106
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 24/6/2006 8:35:02 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

While I'm not really sure Commander in Chief was such a good sell on paper, the creator didn't really have an big hits and the cast doesn't feature any big names, that show didn't sink the same way Firefly did. CIC was a ratings hit for the first few weeks, I remember ABC celebrating that they had another hit on their hands.

CiC had promise but was always going to be "West Wing lite".  It wasn't really the show's fault (apart from pretty much copying the WW credits, even down to the same pose against the Oval Office window!); it just didn't stand up to too close a comparison with its elder and better.

Well, "The Geena Davis Show" was canceled after one season. Between Beetle Juice, which is the earliest thing I have seen her in, and CiC, I've only seen the Stuart Little films, which isn't really the same type of audience. Donald Sutherland is another matter, but I still don't think he has the star power to launch a TV show. Not that a TV show really needs big names to become a hit. CiC also went though some changes as it went along, with the show runner replaced after a few episodes. Maybe viewers tuned off because the show they started watching was dramatically different to what came before.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 107
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/6/2006 10:11:12 AM   
Wrath

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Well, "The Geena Davis Show" was canceled after one season. Between Beetle Juice, which is the earliest thing I have seen her in, and CiC, I've only seen the Stuart Little films, which isn't really the same type of audience. Donald Sutherland is another matter, but I still don't think he has the star power to launch a TV show. Not that a TV show really needs big names to become a hit. CiC also went though some changes as it went along, with the show runner replaced after a few episodes. Maybe viewers tuned off because the show they started watching was dramatically different to what came before.

Geena Davis was still a name. Thelma and Louise...?

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 108
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/7/2006 7:38:34 PM   
Underscore

Thinking of TWW just makes me ponder this question...

Why hasn't this leaked yet??? I want to see it now!!!

< Message edited by Underscore -- 11/7/2006 7:39:30 PM >

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 109
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/7/2006 8:15:26 PM   
matthewforan

I was a bit hesitant about this when i first heard about it but after seeing the trailers i have been changed around. I should have kept the faith in Whitford and Sorkin.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 110
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/7/2006 8:16:40 PM   
silverado

I can't wait for this. A couple of questions though (sorry if they've been asked before)

1- When and where will it air in the UK?

2-Is Josh Malina going to be in it?

< Message edited by silverado -- 11/7/2006 8:17:01 PM >

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 111
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/7/2006 8:24:28 PM   
matthewforan

I checked IMDb and i can't find anything about Josh Malina but i'd hope he will be in it. It would be great if Richard Schiff was to come in as well.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 112
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/7/2006 11:58:14 PM   
Joe

I CANT WAIT!!!!

Seriously, this is what we need - good T.V. that isn't centred on a gimmick that could wear thin after a season. This is so promising. Move over Abrams, Whedon and other pretenders to the throne, and hail to the king! Sorkin's back!

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 113
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 12/7/2006 4:53:52 PM   
matthewforan

I don't know if anyone else has said this but there are more videos if you search the name on Yahoo Videos. The show looks better every time i see the 2 videos.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 114
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 14/7/2006 11:46:20 AM   
matthewforan

Does anyone know if it'll be on SKY first over here or on the normal 1-5.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 115
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 14/7/2006 11:49:06 AM   
JennieC

Read in another thread that Channel 4 have snaffled Studio 60, so I'm assuming it'll air on More4 first, moving onto terrestrial depending upon the ratings....(but i'm not holding my breath).  No idea when they'll start to air it though, I'll have to do some digging.

"Golden - he came here from another planet, but that planet is awesome man"

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 116
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 14/7/2006 11:59:03 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I've read (though nothing is confirmed) that it's likely to begin airing in January on Channel 4, with the next episode following immediately on More4.

(in reply to JennieC)
Post #: 117
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 14/7/2006 12:05:13 PM   
LB Jeffries

I'm afraid there's no chance of me waiting for Channel 4 to air it after the way the treated TWW. I'll be downloading it the day after it screened in the U.S. as I'm sure most Sorkin fanatics will be.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

Post #: 118
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 15/7/2006 12:17:56 AM   
Joedini

I love the fact this show doesnt start for 2 months and we already have 5 pages about it

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 119
RE: Aaron Sorkin is back - Studio 60 on the Sunset Stri... - 16/7/2006 9:05:21 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

I love the fact this show doesnt start for 2 months and we already have 5 pages about it

Yeah it's great isn't it. Hopefully if it gets aired in the UK we will continue the good work.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI