Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 10/5/2006 1:15:55 AM   
Mycroft

Hey Barefoot, could you send the script my way? Looking for new TV shows to obsess over 

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 61
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 10/5/2006 8:18:55 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Yep I'll send you a copy but I need your e-mail address. You can post it here but maybe better sending it in a PM?

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 62
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 10/5/2006 7:56:24 PM   
Joe

This looks soooo good.

let's just hope it's a hit and doesn't go down the Arrested Development road.

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

Post #: 63
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/5/2006 3:20:50 PM   
Wrath

So Tine Fey is also producing a faux-SNL show for NBC?

Report on them both at www.aintitcoolnews.com

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave and looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 64
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/5/2006 3:35:55 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Yeah she is. It's a half hour sitcom, unlike Studio 60. I've actually read both scripts and it's never good if the drama is better than the comedy. But it is! Not really a good script at all. Tries to be too quirky (there's a scene where someone skips the queue at the bagel shop so she buys all the bagels and hands them out to random people on the street....and another scene where the 'crazy' new star of the show runs down a highway screaming 'I am a Jedi!').

On the plus side, Alec Baldwin is one of the stars.

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 65
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/5/2006 4:03:36 PM   
Wrath

I like Fey as a performer but she hasn't done anything for me as a writer.

And even though Studio 60 is a drama, Sorkin blends drama and sitcom to incredible effect. I don't give the Fey one long, it's already a mid-season replacement.

Been watching Sports Night on ABC1. Hadn't seen it much before but it's top notch. 

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave and looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

Post #: 66
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/5/2006 4:10:39 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrath

I like Fey as a performer but she hasn't done anything for me as a writer.

And even though Studio 60 is a drama, Sorkin blends drama and sitcom to incredible effect. I don't give the Fey one long, it's already a mid-season replacement.

Been watching Sports Night on ABC1. Hadn't seen it much before but it's top notch. 

While I'm looking forward to Studio 60 much more then I am Fey's show, it still interests me. She has great talent, her script for Mean Girls was very good, and she is keeping SNL afloat at the moment.

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 67
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 15/5/2006 8:13:04 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

A trailer for Studio 60 was aired during TWW finale last night, and it can be downloaded here: http://txvoodoo.livejournal.com/455944.html

If you don't want to download it, you can just watch it on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OJz5Lid7ZQ

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 15/5/2006 9:12:25 PM >

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 68
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 16/5/2006 7:02:38 PM   
Underscore

Looking at that trailer, I can't help think that the cast is just brilliant. We all know what Perry is capable of, but Whitford as well, Judd Hirsch (not featured in the trailer) but D.L.Hughley and Amanda Peet and you have a cast which is more than capable of delievering the scripts which the show will deliver.

When's the pilot due to be aired?

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

Post #: 69
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 16/5/2006 10:12:33 PM   
The Mighty

"The clips for Aaron Sorkin's pricey Studio 60 got a chilly reception from the crowd — not to mention an industry friend of mine who just saw the entire pilot. "It does not live up to the hype," my spy said in an e-mail. "It was very average. I didn't feel like I was watching something special that was gonna change the face on TV." "

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 70
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 16/5/2006 10:24:55 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Yeah I've seen a few negative reviews of the show in the past couple of days. Some people love it, some people think it's overhyped. It's quite hard-hitting, and some may not like that.

I'm probably going to endlessly stick up for Studio 60, but it's important to remember that not all pilots knock your socks off immediately. Some shows benefit from a slow build. Also important to remember that shows like Friends and Seinfeld weren't well received originally, and look what happened there.

NBC announced that Studio 60 would be airing at 9 on Thursdays in the U.S, which would mean the big ratings grabber CSI would be its main rival. But today, ABC moved Greys Anatomy to the same time slot. CSI and GA are the two biggest dramas in the U.S currently, so I expect NBC will move Studio 60 if they want it to survive.

I liked the trailer, but if I hadn't read the script I wouldn't have a clue what the show is about. Which is ok - the purpose of the trailer was to let viewers of The West Wing know that Sorkin was back with an excellent cast, not to clue them in as to what the show is about.

Anyhoo, despite some less than enthusiastic reviews, I still think the show will be a hit. I mean, the pilot isn't indicative of what the show will be - from the pilot you can't get a feel of what the week by week format will be like. So I reckon viewers will need a couple episodes to get into the programme fully. As for me, I think I'll be in love with it from the second I download the pilot!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 71
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 16/5/2006 10:53:19 PM   
Mycroft

How many episodes have they ordered? Will there be at least 12 episodes to love and cherish before it gets cancelled? 

Post #: 72
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 16/5/2006 11:19:23 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mycroft

How many episodes have they ordered? Will there be at least 12 episodes to love and cherish before it gets cancelled? 

Don't be tempting the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing! But yeah, 13 episodes have been ordered! So if that's all we get then it's still a lot!

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 73
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 3:03:48 AM   
Underscore

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

"The clips for Aaron Sorkin's pricey Studio 60 got a chilly reception from the crowd — not to mention an industry friend of mine who just saw the entire pilot. "It does not live up to the hype," my spy said in an e-mail. "It was very average. I didn't feel like I was watching something special that was gonna change the face on TV." "

I really hope that's untrue. I have lots of faith in Sorkin, the guy along with Thomas Schlamme, has done some amazing television and with the cast, Sorkin's talent and it being the follow up to The West Wing, I have very high hopes.

Barefoot, is there any links to such negative or positive reviews you can give?

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 74
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 10:14:03 AM   
TobiasFunke

Barefoot is right, if we judged a series on its pilot episode alone then in many cases some great TV would never be made. Cheers, Only Fools and Horses, Friends, 24, Arrested Development, five great shows I can think of that had average pilots.
I think Sorkin is one of America's best writers and look forward to Studio 60. I also hope he brings in guest stars from Sports Night and West Wing...oh and Joshua Malina of course!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 75
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 10:20:57 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

6-minute trailer shown at the upfronts can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo2klPzrYss

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 76
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 11:39:26 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mycroft

Don't be tempting the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing!

Best Sorkin fan-boy response.  Ever.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 77
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 12:00:19 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Heh, god bless Richard Schiff! About a month and a half ago there were stories popping up about Schiff replacing Weber on Studio 60. But it was an April Fools

The six-minute trailer was pretty great. First off, the visuals are stunning. The set is enormous! And Tommy Schlamme is on form, with a less conventional directing style during 'the speech' scene.

Judd Hirsch seems pretty amazing in his role. It's a shame that he's not a regular cast member. I love the image of him standing in the set of the Oval Office and telling the truth, when seconds before Bush and Cheney were sitting there.

I was worried about Perry not being able to be seen as anyone but Chandler Bing but he was really fantastic here. I never once felt like I was watching Chandler. I think it'll be harder to think of Brad Whitford as anyone but Josh Lyman since the character is so fresh in our minds (hell, he was filming the Studio 60 pilot and TWW finale on the same day!)

Steven Weber looks great, as do the rest of the cast.

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 17/5/2006 3:50:19 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 78
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 7:00:38 PM   
TobiasFunke

I hope the trailer has assuaged any fears people had that this would be anything less than great TV. Perry/Whitford looks like being a good teaming, this show can't start soon enough!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

Post #: 79
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 7:22:42 PM   
Luca Brasi

Thanks for posting the trailer BD, I've been looking forward soley based on TWW. But that trailer looks stunning and all the cast appear on top form.

I was woundering with the end of TWW and with Lost and 24 also drawing to a close what I was going to start watching. Studio 60 is one answer.

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 80
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 11:41:56 PM   
LB Jeffries

That 6 minute trailer looked awesome. I am absolutely wetting myself about his show. Whitford and Perry look like they are going to riff off each other brilliantly, and Peet looked funny (and georgeous). One thing, though, Tim Busfield looks very weird without the beard!

Now everybody repeat after me:

Sorkin is God
Sorkin is God
Sorkin is God
Sorkin is God
Sorkin is God

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to Luca Brasi)
Post #: 81
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 17/5/2006 11:52:53 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Also, it probably won't be long till the full pilot is leaked. Pilots are sent to advertisers sometime this week so I think we could see a leak within the next few weeks.

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 82
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 18/5/2006 4:03:48 AM   
Underscore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Also, it probably won't be long till the full pilot is leaked. Pilots are sent to advertisers sometime this week so I think we could see a leak within the next few weeks.

I hope so. I can't wait to see this.

I must say that 6 minute trailer looked like the bad reports are simply wrong. The cast looked mesmerising - Perry and Whitford look the best duo I've seen in television for a long time, awesome casting there, they have instant chemistry and it shows. Sorkin is back, big style.

Post #: 83
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 18/6/2006 11:29:12 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I think they're adding another series regular to the mix. I'll invisotext details because it involves the plot from the second episode:

The character's name is Jeannie and she is a writer for Studio 60. She's also sleeping with Matt Albie, which leads to a bit of a rivalry between herself and Harriet. Seems a cool character, hopefully find out who is playing her soon. It's not confirmed she's a series regular, but she sounds like one.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 84
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 12:52:26 AM   
Joe

The trailer's gone from youtube

Anybody have it?

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

Post #: 85
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 1:34:15 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Fear not Joe. If you go to the NBC site for Studio 60 (located here: http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/Studio_60_on_The_Sunset_Strip/) then you'll find the full 6 minute trailer in a quality far surpassing the bootleg Youtube clip. And it has proper music from Snuffy Walden, rather than the songs on the original clip.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 86
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 3:00:08 AM   
Joe

Cheers BD

Eric Cantona

Post #: 87
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 3:09:27 AM   
Joe

Looks great, Perry and Whitford have a great chemistry and the wit of a Sorkin show is evident.........bring it on now!

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 88
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 4:14:54 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Hee hee.

Have just received a preview screener of the pilot right here in my hands.

That's my evening sorted then.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 89
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/6/2006 4:19:34 PM   
HIM

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip?

Sorkin must have it in for people with a lisp. Even able tongued folk would have trouble saying that title five times in row. Try it. Go on, give it a go.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI