Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - U.S Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - U.S Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - U.S Speed - 16/10/2005 11:25:21 AM  1 votes
Barefoot Doctor

No, he's not returning to The West Wing, he has a brand new show! From variety.com:

Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme are headed back to NBC.

Peacock has won an intense bidding war for the next TV show from "The West Wing" duo, an hourlong drama dubbed "Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip" that's set behind-the-scenes at a longrunning Los Angeles-based sketch comedy show (Daily Variety, Oct. 5). It's believed the net has made a rich 13-episode commitment to the Warner Bros. TV project. 

Sorkin wrote the pilot script for the project before the pitching process began. That strategy helped build interest for the project among the webs and allowed WBTV to snag a premium commitment for it.

How good is this!? Strange title and I think the premise is a little too similar to Sports Night, but I am so there - with bells on. Can't wait to see who he casts. He could even get some of The West Wing cast! I can so see Richard Schiff doing this. Hell, Josh Charles isn't doing a lot after Sports Night, lets get him aswell!

God I'm happy. Sorkin is one of those writers who automatically gets people excited just based on his involvement. His fast-paced dialogue, while sometimes irritating, is the most refreshing around. He has the ability to write great material for his actors.

Sports Night and The West Wing were very similar shows, but West Wing had more gravitas. Hopefully this strikes a balance between the two. And thankfully it's an hourlong, which means we shouldn't have the possibility of a laughtrack (which almost ruined Sports Night).

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 17/9/2006 2:10:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 4/1/2006 1:25:43 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

According to today's Ask Ausiello at TVGuide.com, both Amanda Peet and Matthew Perry turned down their respective roles.

Instead, the character of Danny will be played by Steven Weber (Wings). Don't know anything about Weber acting-wise, but he is 45 while the casting sides say Danny is 35 - I have a feeling Weber has a different role, possibly that of Jack Rudolph (who is meant to be in his 40's).

Also, Ausiello says Sorkin was trying to get Bradley Whitford (Josh from TWW) to join the show but his WW commitments prevented him. Dammit! I've grown attached to Josh, but with this probably being the last season of TWW I'd love to see Whitford get another role on a Sorkin show. This gives me hope that we might get ex-West Wingers on the show. Richard Schiff!
Post #: 2
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 4/1/2006 8:44:09 PM   
TobiasFunke

For the Wes Mendell character, I'd like to see John Larroquette. He was fantastic as Lionel Tribbey on West Wing and sadly that was only a one-episode appearance! The more I read about this project, the better it sounds. I read an excellent book a few years back called 'Live From New York' about the tumultuous history behind the scenes at SNL, so Sorkin has 30 plus years of reference to base this new show on.

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!
Post #: 3
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 7/1/2006 11:07:52 PM   
Art Vandelay

Oh well, i'm pretty disappointed that both Matthew and Amanda have turned down the roles. But i still have faith in Aaron.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 4
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 20/1/2006 9:24:09 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

This weeks Ask Ausiello confirmed that Weber isn't playing the lead, but a different role altogether. That leaves room for Perry to reconsider. Jack Rudolph seems the most likely option for Weber.

My new casting suggestion for Jamie McDeere is Radha Mitchel. Hot and a very good actress.

I also would love to see Chiwetel Ejiofor in there somewhere (maybe even as Danny).

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 20/1/2006 9:25:43 PM >

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 5
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 10:33:15 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Big news guys....

Matthew Perry has signed on the dotted line. That's right, he's definitely going to be on the show.

He'll play Matt Albie.

D.L Hughley (who I know as Turk's brother in Scrubs), will play Simon Stiles.

Steven Weber is already confirmed as Jack Rudolph.

Timothy Busfield is highly rumoured to be playing Cal.

And on top of all that, the show is changing name. No word on what it will be called, but it won't be 'Studio 7'.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 6
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 11:07:09 AM   
Captain Black

Looks like Perry had a run in with the common sense police. I can only assume that the reason he had doubts was that he simply didn't want to do another TV show. As an actor though, how can you turn down Sorkin?

This show must be the most talked about pre production programme for a very long time. Any guesses on the name change? I've just checked IMDb and there is another (cancelled) show called Studio 7, which is most likely the reason for the change.

One question: What are 'sides?' Are they pieces of the script distributed for casting and may or may not be included in the actual script? I've, er, downloaded some and they are typically Sorkin sharp.

I read that the budget for the pilot was $3M - them's [sic] some high production values, I can't imagine a show like this requiring a large budget without it all going to the actors.

Edit: $3M is considerably more realistic than $3.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 27/1/2006 11:08:10 AM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 7
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 11:10:50 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Your description of casting sides is pretty spot on. Usually they do end up in the script, but because they can be accessed quite a lot of TV shows alter the names on the sides so no spoilers are given away.

£3m? Expensive. And yes, a lot more than 3 dollars

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 8
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 12:24:33 PM   
Art Vandelay

Wow, what can i say apart from "Yes". I'm so happy that Matthew has seen the light and decided to take the role. The cast already appears impressive, and i can only hope that Timothy Busfield (good old Danny) decides to take the role of Cal.

Captain Black - Do you know where i might be able to download part of the Script?

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

Post #: 9
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 12:40:32 PM   
HIM

So when does this show start? 

Post #: 10
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 1:22:07 PM   
Art Vandelay

The 2006/2007 Fall. So somewhere around September 2006.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 11
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 1:50:49 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Here's a link to the script. There's a couple pages missing, but the majority is there (the missing pages haven't made it onto the web yet).

http://www.recidivism.org/text/Studio%207%20on%20the%20Sunset%20Strip_1.1.pdf

Post #: 12
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 27/1/2006 9:32:51 PM   
TobiasFunke

This project has success written all over it. I'm glad Matt Perry has finally agreed to it, its the best career move he could have made. And hopefully Timothy Busfield does sign up - he's fantastic as Danny in West Wing!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

Post #: 13
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 30/1/2006 3:58:06 PM   
Captain Black

I've read most of the pilot (I don't want to spoil everything you know!) and am thoroughly impressed. I can also imagine where the budget will be going now, before I assumed it would primarily take place within the titular Studio 7, but it seems more expansive than that.

As for casting - does it specify that Jamie is blonde? If not (and I admit I'm utterly woeful at imagining characters from scripts without precise descriptions of appearance) the person who struck me as being good for the role would be Christa Miller (Jordan from Scrubs). I don't know if I'm way out there with that, but there you go.

Also, just imagine for a fleeting moment that they could get Paul Newman to play Wilson White. Never gonna happen, but I think it would be cool.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 14
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 30/1/2006 6:51:19 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

As for casting - does it specify that Jamie is blonde? If not (and I admit I'm utterly woeful at imagining characters from scripts without precise descriptions of appearance) the person who struck me as being good for the role would be Christa Miller (Jordan from Scrubs). I don't know if I'm way out there with that, but there you go.

I don't think it does specify what Jamie looks like, just that 'every guy wants to sleep with her'. My choice is Radha Mitchell, I think she'd be perfect in the role. It's a damn shame Amanda Peet turned the role down, she would be excellent.

Paul Newman would be cool, but I'd like to see either Robert Guillaume or Sidney Potier.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 15
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 1/2/2006 11:48:06 PM   
Art Vandelay

According to The Futon Critic, Timothy Busfield (Danny from West Wing) has now been officialy confirmed to star in the show. Also, the relatively unknown Michael Stuhlberg has also joined the cast. It doesn't specify what roles they shall be playing, but it's just great to see a West Wing veteran in the cast.

Just click here to read the news: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/newswire.cgi?id=7076

Post #: 16
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 1/2/2006 11:52:29 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Tim Busfield is playing Cal who is the director of the show.

Michael Stuhlberg is playing Jerry, the Standards and Practices guy.

I think Busfield is a series regular while Stuhlberg is just recurring.

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 1/2/2006 11:53:47 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 2/2/2006 12:09:53 PM   
Wrath

I literally cannot wait for this show.

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave and looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

Post #: 18
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 2/2/2006 2:32:35 PM   
sharkboy

I've just got round to reading the script and...WOW!!  Excuse me for a moment while I try to relocate my jaw....

Back again.  That is a superb script - fearless, funny, touching...in short, Sorkin at his absolute best.  Here's a sign of my geekdom when it comes to this matter - you know what put the biggest smile on my face?  It wasn't the jokes (though they were frequent and very funny), it wasn't the bonding scenes between Matt and Danny, it was one throwaway line where Jamie asks why the camera crews were at the studio.  "they were here already, covering the thing" came the reply.  The "thing"!  It's heartening to know that when WW finally bows out this May that the "thing" lives on!   Sad, aren't I?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 19
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 2/2/2006 4:13:58 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

The 'thing' lives on!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 3/2/2006 8:23:10 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=televisionNews&storyID=2006-02-03T032441Z_01_N02220159_RTRIDST_0_TELEVISION-TELEVISION-PEET-DC.XML

Lots of massive news:

Nate Corddry (The Daily Show) will play Tom Jeter.

Evan Handler and Carlos Jacott will play Ricky and Ron.

Amanda Peet will play Jordan McDeere (not Jamie)

It's possible other characters names have changed, but they're not given names in the article. It's easy using the sides to see who Corddry, Jacott and Handler are playing though.

It seems that both Peet and Perry turned down the roles to begin with. They didn't know the immortal rule: Sorkin always gets his man. This is the guy who got Martin Sheen to commit to a television show!

Cast List from AICN:

Matt Albie, new 'Studio 60' head writer: MATTHEW PERRY ("Friends”)
Danny Moore, new 'Studio 60' showrunner: STILL UNCAST
Wes Mendell, exiled 'Studio 60' creator: STILL UNCAST

Cal, 'Studio 60' director: Timothy Busfield
Harriet Hayes, 'Studio 60' star: STILL UNCAST
Tom Jeter, 'Studio 60' star: NATHAN CORDDRY ("The Daily Show”)
Simon Stiles, 'Studio 60' star: D.L. HUGHLEY ("The Hughleys”)

Wilson White, AMG Chairman: STILL UNCAST
Jack Rudolph, UBS chairman: STEVEN WEBER ("Wings”)
Jordan McDeere, UBS president: AMANDA PEET ("Syriana”)

Jerry Jones, 'Studio 60' censor: Michael Stuhlbarg (Broadway's "The Pillowman”)
Ron Oswald, 'Studio 60' hack: EVAN HANDLER ("Sex and the City”)
Ricky Beck, 'Studio 60' hack: CARLOS JACOTT ("Fun With Dick and Jane”).

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 3/2/2006 10:25:26 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 3/2/2006 11:57:03 AM   
Wrath

Great to see Joss Whedon "Hat trick" Carlos get a regular stint on a high profile show.

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave and looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

Post #: 22
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 3/2/2006 2:54:56 PM   
TobiasFunke

I never understand why some people would turn down the chance to do an Aaron Sorkin series or film: he's one of the greatest American writers there is!

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 23
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 3/2/2006 6:01:52 PM   
Art Vandelay

Yes! So glad that Amanda Peet has finally decided to join the cast. I've got a nice little Matthew & Amanda reunion to look forward to now. Also, like Wrath said, it's great to see Carlos Jacott finally given his big break. He's had some great little roles over the years: Buffy, Seinfeld, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Fun With Dick And Jane etc.

Post #: 24
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 5/2/2006 1:44:46 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Jacott also had a very small role on The West Wing. He was one of the guys giving Governor Bartlet a presentation (on New Hampshire and skiing revenue).

And of course, Evan Handler had a great recurring role as Doug, one of Bruno's guys and a great foil for Toby.

I'm very interested in seeing who is cast in the remaining big roles (Danny, Harriet, Wes, Martha and Wilson). I don't think it'll be too long before the entire cast is settled. I would imagine we'll get all announcements within two weeks. Shooting of the pilot occurs in March, apparently.

Post #: 25
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 11/2/2006 2:45:47 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I've got my hands on the full script for Studio 60, with all the pages that are missing from the casting sides. If anyone wants it just put down their e-mail address and I'll send it to them.

Post #: 26
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 15/2/2006 10:02:20 AM   
Wrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

I've got my hands on the full script for Studio 60, with all the pages that are missing from the casting sides. If anyone wants it just put down their e-mail address and I'll send it to them.

Damn! Yes please, shawshank@aintitcoolmail.com

Much obliged BD.

Post #: 27
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 15/2/2006 2:44:30 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Oh yes please!  gerry_mck@hotmail.com will get it to me

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 28
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 15/2/2006 2:50:38 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

That's it sent Wrath.

No real news about Studio 60 since the announcement of Peet, Corddty, Busfield, Handler, Jacott and Stuhlbarg.

The only thing I've seen is that Bradley Whitford confirmed on Monday night that he's still in talks to join the show.

(in reply to Wrath)
Post #: 29
RE: Sorkin coming back to TV! Rejoice! - 16/2/2006 1:41:37 PM   
Wrath

Any idea who Whitford would play? Because I really really hope it's Danny.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - U.S Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI