Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dr. No - 5/5/2006 10:45:51 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 5/5/2006 11:07:42 AM   
Battle Angel Ryan

I got the Bond boxset for Christmas, hadn't seen this for ages but was blown away by how well it stands up.
Connery is nigh on perfect in the role and as you rightly stated Ken Adam's set is awe inspiring.
It's surprising that when people speak about their favourite Bond that this never gets a mention.
From Russia With Love is outstanding as well and the series peaks with Goldfinger. The rest of the franchise is pretty hit and miss with most of the films cloning each other with the exception of OHMSS, Live and Let Die, Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, Living Daylights and Goldeneye.
Die Another Day is an insult.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 5/5/2006 8:38:08 PM   
BobaJango

I'm never really in the mood to watch this film. Whenever i want to watch a Bond movie i usually go for any Connery after Dr No. That's not to say that it's a bad film though...3/5.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Battle Angel Ryan)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 7/5/2006 12:44:50 AM   
Dai

"That's  a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six" such a cool line.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 4
It's ok - 15/8/2006 10:25:45 AM   
tomhemingwaycom

I don't see whats so good about this film at all. It fails in catching anyone's attention. The action scenes are sloppy far too much talking you just get fed-up 45mins into it.

Post #: 5
- 12/3/2007 6:47:05 AM   
the godfather7

The first and best in the Bond franchise

Post #: 6
Dr. No - 21/8/2007 11:50:45 AM   
Bond

Da da da da... da da da da... POW! Ber dum, ber dum, ber dum, dum. That was me trying to do a remdition of the James Bond theme. I think it is pretty good you know for typing it. Any way I just love this film to hear the beginning credits for the theme tune. This is one of the best Bond movies of all of them. Ever series of films knows when it is going to be successful if the first one is brilliant. And God did Bond start on a high note. This is one of the best British, well any, film ever made, one of the best spy movies anyway. It is not my favourite Bond movie but it is in aobout the Top 5. Connery is an amazing Bond, defiantly the best Bond actor out of them all. He wasen't really the fans choice but when the film was released the fans knew that they had chosen a brilliant Bond. He is suave but brutal. Men want to be him and women want him. This film really set the formula down, the quip, the gadgets, the girls, the villians and the exotic locations. This is one of the best Bond movies.

Post #: 7
A brilliant start to a brilliant franchise - 21/12/2008 12:40:50 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

Before Goldfinger was made, all other Bond movies were compared with this one...and so they should have been! This has so many classic Bond moves such as the still terrifying scene with the spider or the cool as hell Bond remark before killing the slimey professor Dent: "That's a Smith & Wesson...and you've had your six." One of my favourite Bond movies.

Post #: 8
- 2/3/2012 3:48:52 PM   
ChrisAJ20

A fantastic debut to a fantastic series

Post #: 9
- 2/3/2012 3:48:53 PM   
ChrisAJ20

A fantastic debut to a fantastic series

Post #: 10
RE: - 9/2/2013 9:23:16 PM   
TheGodfather

Tonight I started on my James Bond blu-ray box:

Dr. No
The very first Bond film very clearly is a product of its time. It`s still a fun action film but it`s clear that time didn`t handle it too well, film-technically and story wise. That last point is typical Bond, with all of the now world famous ingredients, but it has no speed whatsoever. That did made me lose attention sometimes.
Sean Connery is still my favorite James Bond and this is of course a film that cleared the road for an entire franchise but this isn`t the best of the bunch.

7,5/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to ChrisAJ20)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 11/2/2013 9:51:37 PM   
Professor Dent

Lovely, understated Bond film. Cool, because of that. It's not trying to measure up to the others, it just is.

Early scenes are kind of eerie, remind me of Hitch's 39 Steps. I think it's the lack of music on the soundtrack, but also the sheer Britishness of it. And what happens to the square looking fellow who enquires after Bond at Blades, before we meet Bond? We never even see him again. Some of the extras just seem a bit odd, the Roy Orbison lookalike trying to get hold of Strangways at the HQ.

I hear it's the best one to get on BluRay.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 12
Classic - 21/2/2013 12:32:45 AM   
Mr Gittes

What a franchise-opener! Connery is THE perfect cinematic Bond, Dr No is a great villain, Honey Ryder is still the most iconic Bond woman, the direction is stylish and the music is unforgettable. But the real show-stealer here, in my opinion, is the simply stunning set design by the brilliant Ken Adam. Amazing.

A wonderfully cool and legendary movie which, to this day, remains one of the very best of the series. Pure entertainment.

Post #: 13
"I think they were on there way to a funeral!" - 6/11/2013 6:52:52 AM   
Jericho117

A grand debut for one of cinema's great and enduring legends. Dr. No is up there with the greatest Bond's of them all.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dr. No Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI