Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 2/11/2005 5:20:27 PM   
tbird

I know it's cheesy but one of the best books I've ever read is The Stand by Stephen King. It truly deserves the tag of "masterpiece".

And I love I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

I am a horror book nut.

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 31
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 2/11/2005 5:42:38 PM   
Yokima

I would add Utopia by Lincoln Child- not a book that makes you think, but an enjoyable and unique story.

I have many others, but they've all been mentioned. ^^

The Emir of Groovefunkistan

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 32
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 3/11/2005 3:55:46 PM   
potus

On Liberty and Other Essays by John Stuart Mill.

On the first page he writes: "...Social Liberty: the nature and limits of the power which can be legitimately exercised by society over the individual. A question seldom stated, and hardly ever discussed, in general terms, but which profoundly influences the practical controversies of the age by its latent presence, and is likely soon to be recognized as the vital question of the future."

Written in 1854, published in 1859, for all its relevancy, he could have written it yesterday.

"But what I say to you, Glasgow, is could an invisible cloud of shit-smelling gas with its own Channel 4 show be any less funny than the Friday Night Project?"

(in reply to Yokima)
Post #: 33
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 5/11/2005 6:18:16 PM   
Shawlord

My favourite book is;

The Power Of One by Bryce Courtenay.

A story about love, loss and friendship, The Power of One follows a young boy called Peekay from infancy to manhood and charters his struggles with racial prejudice and his fiery ambition to becoming welterweight champion of the world.

The above blurb really doesn't do the book justice, but just trust me when I say that it is an incredibly moving tale with characters that you can't fail to become attached to.

(in reply to potus)
Post #: 34
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded - 13/11/2005 10:35:56 PM   
Circe

quote:

Can I add My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult?  If you only read one of her books (which I would recommend doing as they get repetitive) read this one - it's a complex look at a difficult subject and if you don't cry while reading this then you're not human!

I read My Sister's Keeper. I even cried in the end, but in retrospect, it's a pretty crappy book. In my humble opinion.

--------

Kisscut by Karin Slaughter. I love everything Miss Slaughter writes, but this is what got me into it. Very dark and haunting.

The Discovery of Heaven
by Harry Mulisch. The source material is tricky, but man, what a book.

Poor Things
by Alasdair Gray. Funny and sad at the same time / I like it better than Frankenstein.

Disgrace by JM Coetzee. Quite possibly the most depressing book in the world.

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster. Simply beautiful with vivid imagery and massive symbolic meanings everywhere.

A Sentimental Journey by Laurence Sterne. It made me giggle. So shoot me.

A Father's Affair (De Passievrucht) by Karel (Glastra) van Loon. A perfect blend of literature and detective novel, not to mention the fact that it's one of the most compelling books ever written.

My signature is clever and witty

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 35
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 14/11/2005 10:34:15 AM   
hozay

To Marlowe
The Big Sleep is one of the best crime novels ever written IMO.
The Lady in the Lake (Chandler) is also worth a read.

I'd like to add to the list,
Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 36
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 14/11/2005 8:00:36 PM   
damn im good!

Fantastic thread. Just made a whopping list of books to add to my list. Can I suggest a few.

Weaveworld - Clive Barker: Simply his most amazing work. Dark, twisted and amazingly provoking.

Spares - Michale Marshall Smith: One of the best Sci Fi novels of recent times. Intelligent, funny, horrific and thrilling.

Sin City - Frank Miller: The best, most adult graphic novels ever written. The stand out for me is Family Values

On The Road - Jack Kerouac: Wow. This book is immense.

Don't fuck with the Jedi Master, son.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 37
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 15/11/2005 9:40:13 PM   
King_Wah

My favourite book is up there but I want to comment on it anyway.

To Kill A Mockingbird -  Harper Lee. The perfect book about childhood and the loss of innocence when seeing the twisted, bigoted world of adults. My one note of caution would be if you enjoy it you should also read...

I know Why The Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou It gives an account from the other side of the tracks. What it is like to grow up poor and black in the American South.

Earth Abides - George R Stewart Premise is a man returns from hunting trip to find that virtually all of mankind has been killed by a virus. He meets up with a group of survivors and they try to rebuild but cannot maintain their previous way of life and they eventually become hunter gatherers. It is difficult to explain but is just a beautifully written well thought out piece of work. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Day of The Triffids - John Wyndham He is a fantastic writer and this a beautifully crafted book based on a simple, but brilliant, idea.

(in reply to damn im good!)
Post #: 38
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 16/11/2005 12:58:38 PM   
Krazy_Beyootiful

quote:

My favourite book is up there but I want to comment on it anyway.

I should have mentioned, any further comments on books already on the list will also be added.

How can we be happy in a world where predictive text can spell Indictment but not Flapjacks?

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 39
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 16/11/2005 1:32:53 PM   
PrivateJoker

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It's marketed as a teenagers book but there are plenty big words in there that I couldn't fathom. Its metafiction about a teenage girl and this bloke who gives her lessons in philosophy. Covers most of the major philosophers from the year dot, right up to the present and also includes a bit of science, religion and psychiatry. Perfectly pitched explanations of various philosophical theories using everything from metaphor to actual demonstration that are as simplistic as they can be whilst rarely patronising. Its good to use as a bluffers guide as well. Read this and convince people you're clever.It can be read as a story as well as an introduction to philosophy and its got interesting characters, bit of a dull plot but thats part of the point and a twist that beats anything conjured up in Spike Jonze or M Night Shamylan films.

Good idea and good list BTW. I've printed it off with the intention of using it as a checklist but I did that after the BBC did 100 greatest books and that got me nowhere. Determined to do it this time as I could do with a bit of mind-broadening via the written word as my new Gameboy has recently robbed me of all my leisure time.

< Message edited by PrivateJoker -- 16/11/2005 1:33:59 PM >

(in reply to Krazy_Beyootiful)
Post #: 40
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 19/11/2005 9:13:58 PM   
TonySoprano

All Quiet on the Western Front is the greatest book about war ever written. it's a staggering work of prose, and would make a mountain cry.

I swear to god, plays.

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 41
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 21/11/2005 8:22:25 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

It really bugs me that nobody i have ever talked to has ever read
The Moth Diaries by Rachel Klein.
its a great gothic tale about adolescence,lust and obsession with a vampire twist
very odd and im planning on buying the film rights when im old enough to be a director!!

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to TonySoprano)
Post #: 42
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 29/11/2005 2:12:46 PM   
roary rover

American Pyscho
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson)
The Stand (Stephen King)
Invisible Monsters (Chuck Palahniuk)

< Message edited by roary rover -- 29/11/2005 2:14:02 PM >

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 43
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 1/12/2005 4:42:22 PM   
Da Big Cheese

My favourate author of all time has to be Andy McNab. For suspense, twists and sheer authenticity this guy just can't be beaten. Even Chris Ryan, who's work is in itself fantastic, struggles to keep up. I've only just started reading his stuff, picked up Remote Control back in March and have been hooked since. I'm now on Dark Winter (yea, I'm a slow reader). All the authors I loved before then just kinda pale into insignificance when compared. I highly recommend these books. And if not them, The Hit List by Chris Ryan. Top stuff.

Trust No One

(in reply to roary rover)
Post #: 44
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 1/12/2005 4:51:15 PM   
Winkelmesser

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell, especially Sharpe's Eagle, Sharpe's Waterloo and Sharpe's Battle.
As is seems autobiographies are allowed as well, The Moons a Balloon by David Niven and Songs my Mother taught me by Marlon Brando.

(in reply to Da Big Cheese)
Post #: 45
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 6/12/2005 12:22:33 PM   
Angus the Haggis

Wow! That's a great list. Classics and 'pulp' sitting side by side.

I'd add,

Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H Lawerence
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

(in reply to Winkelmesser)
Post #: 46
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 7/12/2005 2:48:05 PM   
novadash

The Crow Road - Iain Banks
Perdido Street Station -  China Mieville
Post Office - bukowski
A Portrait of the Artsist... - James Joyce

(in reply to Angus the Haggis)
Post #: 47
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 7/12/2005 3:12:13 PM   
Sarxos

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Night Watch - Terry Pratchett
Gormenghast Trilogy - Mervyn Peake

We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus. I'm going after a find of incredible historical significance, you're talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am.

(in reply to novadash)
Post #: 48
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 10/12/2005 4:09:09 PM   
dark crystal

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

The lion, the witch and the wardrobe by C S Lewis

My all time faves

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man"

(in reply to Sarxos)
Post #: 49
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 15/12/2005 9:25:03 PM   
Tommy

Da Vinci Code and Angles and Demons by Dan Brown

there is always some bullshit reason to kill your girlfriend

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 50
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 18/12/2005 6:54:43 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

AAWW thank you for adding Moth Diaries!!
Everybody WILL read it!That is an order!!!!
Can I also add
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown(a zillion times better than DaVinci Cose!!)
Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx(The best short story EVER!!Seriously,if youre not close to sobbing by the end of it,you have no heart!)

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 51
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 20/12/2005 6:05:32 PM   
Emiwee

Can I add The Queen of the Damned, by Anne Rice? I've read the first three of the Vampire Chronicles and for some reason that is my favourite. I'm sure many people don't read Anne Rice for the reasons I used to avoid her books, I asumed they would be the typical gothic horror - ok but not fantastic. I discovered that Anne Rice is a wonderful writer she really pulls you into this world of Vampires. It is very difficult not to become attached to the characters. Anyway I recommend this book as I couldn't put it down. I can't recommend any of the later ones as I have yet to read them, but I've seen many mixed reviews, some good, some bad.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 52
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 21/12/2005 1:26:34 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

His Dark Materials Trilogy - brilliant trilogy. Beautifully imagined.
Life Of Pi - heartbreaking and life-fulfilling.

Both great books.

< Message edited by i007_Bond_007i -- 21/12/2005 1:28:35 PM >

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 53
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 23/12/2005 12:03:20 PM   
luvinfilms

Time Stops for no Mouse by Michael Hoeye is an extraordinary tale about a mouse who has to save the girl he fancies from a very naughty mole!!!!! it managed to spawn 2 sequels: The Sands of Time  and  No Time Like Show Time.    these would make excellent films with the right actors and director.  - - - - - - highly reccommended

www.myspace.com/filmbuff1989

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 54
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 24/12/2005 8:09:41 PM   
Satine

I don't see it up there, but I think my favourite book has to be Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I get so absorbed and into books anyway, but this took it one stage further for me. Just so stunning in every way you enter a whole new world when you read Anna Karenina and like it even after you've read the book. Absolutely astonishing experience.

People like you just walk between the raindrops I guess.

The best thread EVER!

(in reply to luvinfilms)
Post #: 55
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 25/12/2005 3:00:20 PM   
Dirty Bear

I can't name just one.

Mine are

His Dark Materials trilogy (The Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass)--Philip Pullman. They are just superb reading from start to finish. They raise a lot of questions, but never seem to take sides or try to make you think one way or another. Calling it a children's book is an insult, but I'm sure glad children are reading it.

The Talisman--Stephen King and Peter Straub.
Hard to get into, but very rewarding. It's a fantasy based book that loosely ties in with King's 'Tower' series. People who label King just a horror hack don't know what they are talking about.

Black Wind---F.Paul Wilson
A book that spans the pre-world war 2 years and covers the friendship of an American and an american-Japanese boy. Both from San Francisco. It is based in reality but has vaguely supernatural overtomes (The Black wind is used by a sect called the kurakata kao (sic?..long time since I read it) who are a sect who are hell-bent on bringing the 'black wind' to destroy the Americans...how they achieve this Black Wind is both nauseating and apparently real...F.Paul Wilson states the kurakata kao actually exists). A fantastic sprawling novel that Wilson thinks is his beat and is hard to find.

24--William Diehl
Diehl is better know for 'Sharkey's Machine', which I loved in print and on screen with Burt Reynolds. This is far superior fare, detailing a US agent in WW2 called Keegan and his enemy, a Nazi just known as '24'. A great novel with some heartbreaking scenes.

I just realised 2 of the above are tied in with the war, but this is incidental, as I hate war books.

I also realise I seem to have killed this thread!! Sorry!

< Message edited by Dirty Bear -- 4/1/2006 5:33:08 PM >

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 56
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 7/1/2006 3:34:06 PM   
pedros

For your consideration:

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
Awesome book with great characters, though it is a bit depressing especially the end. But it's definitely up there with the best.

Yes Man - Danny Wallace
One of the few books I've laughed out loud to, unfortunately I read it mostly in public so I got a few wierd looks.

Are You Experienced? - I forget what the guys name is
Very easy to read and a great funny story about backpacking round India. The end sucks a bit, but the getting there is great fun.

Actually whilst i'm on the backpacking trip, is The Beach there? Another easy to read one, and also a great yarn!

Sorry I have no avatar. How do I get one???

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Dirty Bear)
Post #: 57
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 7/1/2006 3:56:13 PM   
pedros

I think I figured the avatar thing out.

Testing...

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 58
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) - 7/1/2006 3:56:32 PM   
pedros

Nope, obviously not.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 59
RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded - 7/1/2006 4:14:08 PM   
Dirty Bear

Hi Pedros

If you go into the Empire Online forum and look in the 'how to' thread, how to post an avatar should be explained in there.

Good luck!

(in reply to Krazy_Beyootiful)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Your Favouritest Books: Reloaded (Updated 26/10) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI