Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Trek

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek - 1/11/2007 10:06:33 AM   
Timon

Yeah but he does go on....

Aintitcool has a nice article on the cancelled film Star Trek: The Beginning that would have taken place before the Original Series during the Romulan Wars.

After the failure of Star Trek Nemesis and Before JJ Abrams came along, there was a project in development at Paramount called “Star Trek The Beginning.” It was written by Band of Brothers producer/writer Erik Jendresen and was being shepherded through the system by producer Jordon Kerner (although Rick Berman was reportedly involved, he actually had very little to do with the project beyond being contractually attached to any Trek project at the time). The story covered the events of the Romulan War and was set shortly after Star Trek Enterprise, but without using the Enterprise cast.

Here's the whole article - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34635

Sounded interesting, if a tad Top Gun.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 241
RE: Star Trek - 1/11/2007 1:00:16 PM   
Beno

They should bring in writer/producer Manny Coto who injected some much needed grit and oomph into the already cancelled Enterprise . If they had employed him earlier that series may have been saved . Hes also done great stuff with 24 on tv too . In fact if Manny Coto ever wrote a 24 episode you could be sure a main character would die .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 242
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 1/11/2007 3:00:27 PM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
Oh and The Shat is moaning to anyone who'll listen that it's unwise for the filmmakers not to include him. For God's sake Bill, keep some dignity - it's not ALL about you.

A pox on your house, its a scientific fact that anything the shat is in is made better by 15.39%.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 243
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 1/11/2007 3:10:59 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

Apparantly Josh Lucas (Poseidon, Stealth) is being courted for Chris Pike.

Oh and The Shat is moaning to anyone who'll listen that it's unwise for the filmmakers not to include him. For God's sake Bill, keep some dignity - it's not ALL about you.

I love the Shat. I think he should be in everything. Funny that he's jealous of Nimoys involvement though.

Shatner has always been funny about the popularity of Spock over Kirk...I do wish he would keep it down mind it's embarrassing...

Josh Lucas you say, I do like him he was pretty good in Glory Road, American Psycho  and Wonderland.   

Yes, always.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 244
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 1/11/2007 4:53:38 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

I love the Shat. I think he should be in everything. Funny that he's jealous of Nimoys involvement though.

Shatner has always been funny about the popularity of Spock over Kirk...I do wish he would keep it down mind it's embarrassing...

Ah let him be in it I say. Long live the Shat.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 245
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 1/11/2007 7:40:36 PM   
Larry of Arabia

'Shat' is the verb for 'shit'.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 246
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 2/11/2007 11:26:12 AM   
darth silas

Shatner was brilliant as kirk,but apparently the guy is an egomaniacal,greedy,shithead.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 247
RE: Teaser - 2/11/2007 8:51:56 PM   
impqueen

TREK TEASER UNDER CONSTRUCTION
11.02.07By Devin Faraci Contributing sources: Latino Review  When Kelvin at Latino Review tells you he has a scoop from a confirmed source, you can take it to the bank. That's nice in a world where too many sites run too many half-confirmed or even wholly made up rumors. So when Kelvin sent me an email saying he has the inside story on the teaser for JJ Abrams' Star Trek, I knew this was a story worth running.

According to Kelvin, the Star Trek teaser is being prepared right now, before shooting even begins on the picture. The concept is simple and elegant, and one I can get behind (one of the few recent Trek revelations about which I can say that): it will be views of the construction of the original Enterprise*. I don't know if there will be more to it than that, but why does there have to be? This would essentially be an announcement trailer, letting the mainstream audience know that there's a new Star Trek and it's going back to the beginning. I would bet money that the teaser has someone - Chris Pine? Leonard Nimoy? - reading the 'To boldly go where no man has gone before' speech over the action.

*From the original show, nerds, not Scott Bakula's Enterprise.

Link- http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12398

< Message edited by impqueen -- 2/11/2007 8:52:52 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 248
RE: Teaser - 3/11/2007 7:36:34 PM   
jackcarter

cool sounds something like the T2 teaser where you saw the construction of the T 800

They'll prob release the teaser with Cloverfield in Jan (esp since the teaser is being preped now & as its JJ Abrams producing that film )

Then the proper 2-3 min trailer with Indy 4 in May as then it wont be that long until Dec 25

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 249
RE: Star Trek - 7/11/2007 10:57:45 AM   
Snake Plissken 3417

quote:

Yeah but he does go on....

Aintitcool has a nice article on the cancelled film Star Trek: The Beginning that would have taken place before the Original Series during the Romulan Wars.

After the failure of Star Trek Nemesis and Before JJ Abrams came along, there was a project in development at Paramount called "Star Trek The Beginning.” It was written by Band of Brothers producer/writer Erik Jendresen and was being shepherded through the system by producer Jordon Kerner (although Rick Berman was reportedly involved, he actually had very little to do with the project beyond being contractually attached to any Trek project at the time). The story covered the events of the Romulan War and was set shortly after Star Trek Enterprise, but without using the Enterprise cast.

Here's the whole article - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34635

Sounded interesting, if a tad Top Gun.

Well maybe they can do a Star Trek film where the crew of the Enterprise go back in time yet again to save Star Trek Nemesis from catastrophic box-office failure.

Hay I've been a Trekkie since early 1970's and all I can say is its there money its there risk I just hope they get a brake on this one it's a gamble.

You can almost guarantee the trailers will be on, youtube like rash practically overnight.

< Message edited by Snake Plissken 3417 -- 7/11/2007 11:01:32 AM >

“Call me snake.”

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 250
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 7/11/2007 11:06:26 AM   
Snake Plissken 3417

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Shatner was brilliant as kirk,but apparently the guy is an egomaniacal,greedy,shithead.

What the fuck! No you've been misinformed the guy looks decent enough to me.

Long live and Shatner.

< Message edited by Snake Plissken 3417 -- 7/11/2007 11:13:44 AM >

“Call me snake.”

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 251
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 7/11/2007 1:36:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake Plissken 3417

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

What the fuck! No you've been misinformed the guy looks decent enough to me.

Long live and Shatner.

I have no doubt he was at one time all of the above things, but thats part of his charm. "Oh no! Nimory directed a movie! I MUST also have one to my name!"

Look at his muisc - he now claims it was all a joke in the 70s I don't believe this for a moment.

Now however he has embraced who he is and is ten times as cool. The music he did with Bens Fold was great (Common People has never sounded better) and he is always good fun.

Plus - he IS Captain Kirk, which still makes me uneasy about this film.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake Plissken 3417)
Post #: 252
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 8/11/2007 9:20:16 AM   
Timon

It is true. Shatner has often been described as a bit of an ego maniac. I think he's fallen out with all his cast mates at some point. I still can't believe the Futurama team got him to say the line:

"And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a great performance out of me because I respect me so much."

Anyway, Bruce Greenwood as Pike and Rachael Nicholls possibly as Carol Marcus.

Nice nice.

Greenwood is an awesome actor even if he isn't the BIGGEST name.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 253
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 8/11/2007 12:00:27 PM   
impqueen

quote:

It is true. Shatner has often been described as a bit of an ego maniac. I think he's fallen out with all his cast mates at some point. I still can't believe the Futurama team got him to say the line:

"And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a great performance out of me because I respect me so much."

Anyway, Bruce Greenwood as Pike and Rachael Nicholls possibly as Carol Marcus.

Nice nice.

Greenwood is an awesome actor even if he isn't the BIGGEST name.

Damn right!  Bruce Greenwood is a man blighted by Hollywood rubbish and a Madonna film; he was superb in The Sweet Hereafter, Below, Exotica and the sublime Thirteen Days.

Shatner is too much William Shatner- I respect the guy a lot and he was simply awesome as Kirk however despite his success in Boston Legal I feel if he was in the film as Kirk he would almost be a parody of himself, he would be distracting.   

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 254
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 8/11/2007 7:04:04 PM   
jackcarter

Bruce 'JFK' Greenwood is a great choice and in the correct age range at 51 (as Jeff Hunter was 39 in The Cage and we know from Spock in The Menagrie that the events in The Cage were set around a decade prior to TOS with Capt Kirk)

btw Greenwoods 13 Days costar Steven Culp who played Bobby Kennedy played a Maco in enterprise and also the new first officer of the enterprise in the deleated scenes of Nemesis..

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 9/11/2007 12:38:59 AM >

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 255
Pictures of Quinto as Spock! - 13/11/2007 9:46:01 AM   
impqueen

I have not geeked out like that since I first saw Superman Returns and that music kicked in....

DO NOT LOOK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE QUINTO AS SPOCK JUST YET!

Click!   http://community.livejournal.com/zqfans/39857.html 

< Message edited by impqueen -- 13/11/2007 9:48:20 AM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 256
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 13/11/2007 9:47:12 AM   
Rockin Ricky Rialto

the new spock
[image]http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/QuintoSpock1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/QuintoSpock2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/QuintoSpock3.jpg[/image]

not a star trek fan, yet im kinda looking forward to this

< Message edited by Rockin Ricky Rialto -- 13/11/2007 9:49:37 AM >

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? "

"Hanging Lady: Nervous?
Ted Striker: Yes.
Hanging Lady: First time?
Ted Striker: No, I've been nervous lots of times. "

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 257
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 13/11/2007 9:59:37 AM   
Timon

All so very exciting.

Apparantly some Home and Away goon has been cast as George Kirk, father of James AND Jennifer Morrison from HOUSE MD has a role - either Carol Marcus or Number One.

ALSO, The Guardian of Forever may be making an appearance.

Full geek excitment.

(in reply to Rockin Ricky Rialto)
Post #: 258
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 13/11/2007 10:25:49 AM   
impqueen

So if The Guardian of Forever is involved the whole time-changing Romulan Plot is even more of a possibility right? Ahh! The film isn't even out for an entire year and I'm already freaking out, must stop and breathe!  

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 259
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 13/11/2007 11:18:56 AM   
LEEJGM

I'm not a Trekkie by any stretch, but I like the sound of this one.  One question though - isn't Captain Kirk dead?  He died in Generations about 10 years ago right?  Therefore, wouldn't that be the reason for the Shat to not be in this new movie?  He's gotten older and fatter since that movie.

< Message edited by LEEJGM -- 14/11/2007 12:09:27 PM >

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 260
Sarek Cast - 19/11/2007 3:31:39 PM   
impqueen

So Sarek will be featured in the new film this time he will be played by Ben Cross he of Chariots of Fire fame…Sarek is probably my favourite Trek Character after Spock so his casting was of particular interest to me I am somewhat underwhelmed by the choice of Cross but we shall see. There was always a quiet dignity to Mark Lenard when he played Sarek he was superb in the role and I can not see Cross bringing that across successfully (I've only ever seen him in COF and The Far Pavilions mind you...), still it's good to see that character getting some attention.

Link to Source and an overview of Cross/Sarek -
http://trekmovie.com/2007/11/18/ben-cross-is-sarek/#more-1279 

< Message edited by impqueen -- 19/11/2007 3:34:20 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 261
RE: Sarek Cast - 19/11/2007 5:00:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

So Sarek will be featured in the new film this time he will be played by Ben Cross he of Chariots of Fire fame…Sarek is probably my favourite Trek Character after Spock so his casting was of particular interest to me I am somewhat underwhelmed by the choice of Cross but we shall see. There was always a quiet dignity to Mark Lenard when he played Sarek he was superb in the role and I can not see Cross bringing that across successfully (I've only ever seen him in COF and The Far Pavilions mind you...), still it's good to see that character getting some attention.

Link to Source and an overview of Cross/Sarek -
http://trekmovie.com/2007/11/18/ben-cross-is-sarek/#more-1279 

I always thought Michael York would have made a decent replacement for Sarek- they even have similar voices (might have been a bit creepy with Ryder as the mother I suppose)

Also - is it just me or are they casting this movie like they would a tv show? Is that the plan, a movie then television?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 262
RE: Sarek Cast - 21/12/2007 10:34:36 AM   
Timon

Apparantly this shoot is the most secretive in Hollywood at the moment. So much so that apparantly Winona Ryder is pissed off she can't go outside for a cig break due to security.

Also, apparantly Steven Spielberg has come to the set to see how it's all going. Apparantly he's a Trekkie. Also, trailer will be seen in Jan before Cloverfield.

Can't. Wait.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 263
RE: Sarek Cast - 21/12/2007 10:36:35 AM   
HIM

quote:

Also, trailer will be seen in Jan before Cloverfield.

*is unable to wait*

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 264
AICN on Trek - 5/1/2008 5:52:53 PM   
impqueen

WARNING SPOILERS...MAYBE

From AICN

Quint:
I saw your STAR TREK story and wasn't going to say anything, but since you know me... yeah, I can confirm the rumor you posted about the script. I wasn't going to say anything because I got slipped the shooting script and really didn't love it, but I respect J.J. Abrams so much that I'm withholding judgment on the final product (but wish this writer's strike weren't happening because reports are he's been itching to make some "on the set" changes and can't do it). The problem with the script is all its blatant inconsistency with things in the TREK canon, not to be innovative... but because Kurtzman and Orci are lousy writers and have zero feel for Roddenberry's universe, even when attempting to reboot it. The dialogue is about on par with their past works and some of the liberties they've taken are insanely sloppy. (Forgive me, wasn't the Enterprise built in space and not Area 51?) It's remarkably unintelligent writing. (FYI: I also read their upcoming Fox pilot called FRINGE which may be the most blatant X-FILES rip off ever.)

The character of young Kirk is a travesty. He's the bad boy of the Academy, which is consistent in many ways, but the whole "Kobayashi" matter is overtly ridiculous. It turns Kirk into the worst scourge of all of Starfleet! At his graduation there are actual protestors outside the ceremony carrying signs stating: KIRK CHEATED! Talk about on the nose. They probably look like striking writers. So, Kirk is put in command of a starship under great controversy and has to prove himself to not only Starfleet, but also his new crew who are wary of him and his bad rep. While this may sound okay, the way it's written is so ham fisted that it makes the TRANSFORMERS script read like Shakespeare. Actually, the character of both young and old Spock works well and is consistent with the TREK canon, but I'm pretty sure that's because of Nimoy's involvement. Young and old Spock do meet and there's a clever, as well as TREK consistent, reason why young Spock's foreknowledge of events won't create problems in the future.There's a lot of action in this piece, which is welcome, but the Romulan villains are perfunctory. My problem with time travel bad guys is what's to prevent them from looping back and trying their plan again and again whenever they fail? I'm sure Bana got a lot of money to do this inconsequential character.

I think curiosity and Abrams' rep will ensure this movie makes major bucks, but as far as re-launching STAR TREK with a whole new younger crew, no way. This is a novelty item that would probably not please Roddenberry purists, but would any of the recent Treks? One thing's for sure, as lackluster as this script is... it's better than any Berman produced STAR TREK just due to the fact that it's big and has some scope. I just wish the character of Kirk weren't written as if in a dumb after school special. Shatner will have a field day ripping into the rather sleazy portrayal of his classic character. While he may have always been a skirt chaser, making him a lousy student seems like they're trying too hard to appeal to a real young audience who has the menu to Taco Bell memorized.
I could say more, but will withhold judgment due to a talented director, big budget and strong cast.

Now we have someone that claims to have seen some footage. This is probably the sketchiest of the group of Trek info... this one's not a terribly known source to me (unlike the above source and the one that ends this article), but it's interesting to say the least... It's not so much a scoop, but kind of a general feel of what the Enterprise might be like.

I've seen some footage of the new Star Trek flick and I must say I am impressed. I am not a Trekkie and I am not working for the movie industry. It was due to other reasons I got to visit the production faclities and people showed me some scenes that showed what I would call "the Star Trek world". Let me explain. If you watch the TV series and many of the movies than - if you are a Star Wars fan like me - you always have the feeling that there is a discrepancy between the size of the alien worlds / the space ship(s) of the Federation and the locations where most of the scenes have been shot. In other words, the Bridge is more like a living room and does not match the size nor style of gigantic size of the Enterprise at all. It is certainly unbelievable because it's mostly the only place we get to see (and of course three or four other places, but all in all just 1 percent of the ship, I presume).

We'll, this movie is gonna end all that for sure. The "stage play" and Disney like nature of the TV episodes is gone, the "we'll only show you three locations but trust me, this really is a gigantic spaceship we're flying around in"-feeling will also be gone. I would argue that this movie is making use of the Star Wars like decors (as implemented later in the sequels and used immediately in the prequels) therefore expanding our universe more directly (leaves less room for imagination) and making the story a lot more believable, at least to me.

I thought it was very cool. Not sure if the Trekkies will like this move though. By the way when I saw the new look of the Enterprise, I just wanted to go out and buy a model kit of that or something. I'm quite sure it will get as much positive response as the Milennium Falcon did. Yes, the stuff is that detailed.

And the final one of the night could be a major one... it's a small matter, but this could be the visual hand-off between old Spock and new Spock. It sounds a little fanboy-ish, but this source has been proven right before and who's a bigger fan than Abrams? The source begins by mentioning that there's speculation that the movie is an Old Spock/Young Spock buddy picture...

i wouldn't take it that far. but it reminded me of the visual "handoff" they shot two weeks ago where nimoy's hand (vulcan greeting) is replaced in the frame by quinto's hand. j.j. actually spent a lot of time on it. finally, got it by setting up an extra monitor to help quinto hit his mark. it will only be a brief moment in the film, but apparently this sort of visual "handoff" from nimoy to quinto was important enough to warrant dozens of takes.

Yes, always.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 265
RE: AICN on Trek - 5/1/2008 5:54:09 PM   
Timon

All sounds like bollocks to me. Area 51?! Sounds like some rubbish someone just made up on the spot from previous leaked rumours.

And Kirk doesn't get command straight out of the Acadmey, that would be silly.

I'm labelling this clearly bollocks.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 266
RE: AICN on Trek - 5/1/2008 6:01:25 PM   
impqueen

quote:

All sounds like bollocks to me. Area 51?! Sounds like some rubbish someone just made up on the spot from previous leaked rumours.

And Kirk doesn't get command straight out of the Acadmey, that would be silly.

I'm labelling this clearly bollocks.

That is also what I believe and I am glad you concur, but the page needed a bump  

Still I agree with the article when it says that Kurtzman and Orci are lousy writers which is my only real worry right now.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 267
RE: AICN on Trek - 5/1/2008 10:10:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, sounds a little iffy to me. I would have thought Kirk would be assigned to the Enterprise when it is under the command of Pike, seems like the natural way to do it.

But the comments about the bridge do sound like a good idea.

A sense of scale on the bridge has always been something the movie have struggled with - Generations in particular. When you are using TV sets its hard beyond doing some relighting to make it feel 'epic'.

By making the bridge a size which feels like it fits with the size of the starship makes sense. However the source is so darn vauge im willing to put that one into the BS bin as well.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 268
RE: AICN on Trek - 6/1/2008 1:11:16 PM   
Timon

Script writer Robert Ocri has responded to AICN and slammed that 'review'

http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/05/aicn-has-more-trek-rumors/#more-1425

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 269
2 words... - 7/1/2008 10:09:56 PM   
Guuuuuy

J J Freaking Abrams. I know its 3 but go away, the man is god.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI