Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 27/9/2007 3:08:46 PM   
Timon

Kim is too old for the part especially if Sulu, Chekov and Uhura are meant to be cadets in the new film. Possibly the cadets that Pike saves from the stricken shuttle resulting in his injuries.

That's speculation on my part.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 211
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 27/9/2007 3:18:06 PM   
impqueen

I don't think Dae Kim is too old but I can see your point and though I like the idea of James Kyson Lee it might melt my brain having watched the first episode of Season Two of Heroes… but then they are the only two I can think of with the exception of Masanobu Ando which will never ever happen.

I haven't seen Mike Vogel in anything and he looks a little teeny-bopper but eh' Kirk is a hard one to cast right as for Bones despite his age I would have loved
Gary Sinise about 10-15 years ago.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 212
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 27/9/2007 3:21:03 PM   
jackcarter

clips from some of Vogels films
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEEoOaia-s

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 213
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 27/9/2007 3:32:46 PM   
impqueen

Apart from looking like a dork in a crash helmet he looks okay, thanks for the link.

Yes, always.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 214
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 29/9/2007 9:07:24 AM   
Timon

Karl Urban has been offered a role but it's unclear what - Bones, Scotty or 'Villain'.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/09/28/karl-urban-up-for-star-trek-role-but-not-villain-casting-plot-updates/#more-1068

The article also confirms the Romulans/Time Travel plot that's been doing the rounds on the net plus little points like it will involve at least some scenes at the famed Starfleet Academy (although the film is not set there). One of those scenes will show James T. Kirk’s solution to the famous Kobayahsi Maru ‘no win scenario’ simulation.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 215
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 29/9/2007 9:13:15 AM   
Wedge

How is it that you seem to know everything Timon?    That's good casting, but for which character!   I some how don't think he'd be right for Kirk, but he'd make a great villain or Scotty, if he could do the accent.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 216
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 29/9/2007 9:19:35 AM   
Timon

I know all, Wedge. That's all YOU need to know.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 217
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 29/9/2007 9:21:48 AM   
Wedge

Amazing.  Ours is not to question why...

By the way, since you may not have been in the Historical epics thread for a while, and at the risk of going off-topic, have you heard anymore about Dambusters?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 218
RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours - 29/9/2007 11:27:20 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I don't think Dae Kim is too old but I can see your point and though I like the idea of James Kyson Lee it might melt my brain having watched the first episode of Season Two of Heroes… but then they are the only two I can think of with the exception of Masanobu Ando which will never ever happen.

Kim will be 40 next year, I personally think that is too old for the part, though he would be great as Sulu. It would look odd having Lee in the part, but he'd probably do a good job.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 219
- 10/10/2007 1:45:31 AM   
alimac

Daniel de kim of course there had to be one lost member in this film he's fine that be a great choice .I hope thought that article about the blonde guy playing Kirk is wrong

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 220
RE: Star Trek: Bana The Villian! - 10/10/2007 9:32:47 AM   
Timon

Villain AND Kirk cast?!? What a day. And Eric Bana no less as the film's villian Nero. Excitement levels have peaked.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21233

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21234

Don't know Chris Pine that well apart from his role in Smokin' Aces but he looks the part.

(in reply to alimac)
Post #: 221
RE: Star Trek: Bana The Villian! - 10/10/2007 3:49:24 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Villain AND Kirk cast?!? What a day. And Eric Bana no less as the film's villian Nero. Excitement levels have peaked.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21233

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21234

Don't know Chris Pine that well apart from his role in Smokin' Aces but he looks the part.

good news about Bana - no Crowe now but then it was always unlikley as hes filming Body of Lies then Nottingham (wonder if he and Scott will top the current Robin Hood tv show ............)

Bana may not be full on A list but he's a big enough name for this imo (Chopper, BHD, Hulk, Troy, Munich plus was in the running for 007)...he'll prob be playing a Romulan - how ironic that he played a character called Romulus in a film a year or so ago

Maybe Karl Urban will be Pike....

I still sort of hope they managed to get a uber A lister for a cameo role - like Cruise or Hanks or even Crowe...itd really show that Trek is back with a vengence...(which it will be anyhow) ..and of course Shatner

Sounds like it will be the Pine guy as Kirk - unless he says no - therefore probably Vogel. (bet Vogel is hoping Pine says no LOL)

Hope they have him wear contacts though - a blue eyed Kirk just wouldnt be right.

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 10/10/2007 4:56:37 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 222
Bana Bana Bana - 10/10/2007 7:23:51 PM   
alimac

great choice wonder if theyll make him a roomulan that be cool

Post #: 223
RE: Star Trek: Simon Pegg Is Scotty! - 12/10/2007 6:49:56 AM   
Timon

It's OFFICIAL - Scotty and Sulu have been cast and it a sterling piece of casting, SIMON PEGG IS SCOTTY! (www.trekmovie.com)

The search for a Scot is over… and it’s an Englishman! Variety is reporting that British actor, writer and comedian Simon Pegg has won the role of Montgomery ‘Scotty’ Scott in J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek. The 37-year-old beat out a number of others who were up for role of Trek’s most famous engineer, including Stargate’s Paul McGillion.  Pegg, who is best known for starring in the hit British comedies Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, had previously worked with Abrams and many members of his ‘Trek’ team on last year’s Mission: Impossible: III, in which Pegg played IMF technician Benji Dunn (essentially the ‘Scotty’ of M:I:III).

Awesome. Sure, he may have to bulk up a bit for Pegg's knack for accents (well his Michael Caine one) has always been impressive.

As for Sulu, well the role has gone to Korean born actor John Cho. Cho is probably best known as a comedy actor for his roles in Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle and American Pie. At 35, Cho is older than the character calls for (and older than George Takei was when he originated the role), but Cho tends to ‘play younger’ as they say in Hollywood.

Although the film’s casting sheet called for a Japanese-American, Gene Roddenberry originally envisioned Sulu to be more of a general representative for Asia (as Uh Trek convention in Las Vegas George Takei told TrekMovie.com "he doesn’t need to be Japanese. They should cast the most talented and most appropriate actor for that role." Takei did note that there was a resemblance between Quinto and Nimoy (the two Spocks) and thought that the new actor playing Sulu should be "credibly a younger me."ura was for Africa). In fact the name Sulu was chosen based on the Sulu Sea which has coastlines throughout Asia (instead of more nationality specific as most Asian name are).

So it's just Leonard 'Bones' McCoy to cast and then ladies and gentlemen, we have the crew of the Enterprise.

(in reply to RRedshiftedd)
Post #: 224
RE: Star Trek: Simon Pegg Is Scotty! - 12/10/2007 8:43:40 AM   
impqueen

Ooo interesting! The cast looks very good to me just need McCoy and we have a film.

Pegg is a major surprise but not an unpleasant one and I liked Cho in Harold and Kumar he may not be the age but he does looks younger than his years. Okay now it is officially getting very exciting too, I've tried suppressing my hope this film might rock but now people are in place....

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 225
RE: Star Trek: Simon Pegg Is Scotty! - 12/10/2007 9:02:06 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

The most weird and wonderful news I've heard all day... or so far at least. I'd love to have seen Pegg auditioning for this role. The news seems almost far-fetched, but I'm sure he'll do the role justice.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 226
RE: Star Trek: Simon Pegg Is Scotty! - 12/10/2007 9:07:35 AM   
ilovebeerme

I think that is inspired casting.  He'll fit the role perfectly

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 227
RE: Star Trek: Simon Pegg Is Scotty! - 12/10/2007 10:10:25 AM   
straight2dvd

Inspired casting that. I love Simon Pegg and everyone should do too. I just hope they don't make him the comedy element, captain!

Madness flows like the finest wine

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 228
RE: Star Trek: Simon Pegg Is Scotty! - 12/10/2007 2:14:56 PM   
twisted brainwrong

does this also mean we're going to see Nick Frost in decidedly un-PC make-up playing Lieutenant Uhura?

god will forgive them.
he will forgive them and allow them into heaven.
I can't live with that.

(in reply to straight2dvd)
Post #: 229
RE: Star Trek: Simon Pegg Is Scotty! - 12/10/2007 3:07:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: twisted brainwrong

does this also mean we're going to see Nick Frost in decidedly un-PC make-up playing Lieutenant Uhura?

I'm hoping that he gets a cameo as Harry Mudd.

I'm guessing since the villian is called Nero it will be the Romulans? As I understand it

Romulans = Rome
Vulcans = Greece
Klingons = Vigoths?

Hope it isn't as we had them in the last movie. Would it be really that hard to bring the old Kingons back? Not the ones who have honor and all that crap, but the bastards who killed Kirks son? I love the Undiscovered Country because while there are some enlightened souls most Klingons are still pretty nasty - would be nice to see them in their element.

I would think if they are putting this much money into the film, the studio would want to use the best known villians of the franchise + Bana as a Klingon badass would be brilliant.

Also, please just do a reboot. No need to tie it into everything that has come before. A new movie free of continuity would be great, introduce the universe to a new generation of kids, only people who care that it all ties in are the die hard fans and they will go to see the movie no matter what.

As for Pegg being cast? Its inspired and as Scotty is suppose to be a somewhat funny character I can see why they went with Pegg. The way Shatners Kirk would poke fun at him in the movies was a nice example of how close that crew were.

Not sure how I feel about all this yet, if the plotline is true then I think it may be a bit more complex than it needs to be. Give me a simple story on which to hang the characters and I will be happy. Time travel has worked on Trek before  - City on the Edge of Forever is about as good as Trek gets, but for the films I would just like to see a return to the Hornbloweresque feel and ploting of moves 2-6 - well maybe not five.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to twisted brainwrong)
Post #: 230
Sounds interesting but ... - 12/10/2007 10:41:20 PM   
MetalManDan

i aint sure what to expect in this.. i mean its gonna feel really wierd watching this movie if its any good. sounds like a really good cast so far.. but i have grown up watching the star trek movies and tv series along with many other people, watching the same people play the same characters Shatner as Kirk, Patrick Stewart as Picard. to have a completely different set of actors playing the characters we all know and love, its not gonna be star trek.

Post #: 231
James Mcavoy should be scotty not pegg - 13/10/2007 8:27:17 PM   
alimac

James Mcavoy should be Scotty not Pegg

Post #: 232
McCoy? - 14/10/2007 9:16:26 AM   
impqueen

Karl Urban for McCoy? That is the latest rumour and I for some reason like it…

From- Cinema Blend and other sources.

Remember when we were all worried that Trek might be going low budget and hiring Karl Urban to be the movie's villain? Well our panic was half right. He may end up in the film, but as Dr. McCoy. The story comes from the guys over at TrekMovie, where their deeply places sources tell them Urban in talks for the part of Leonard "Bones” McCoy, the Enterprise's chief doctor and all around wry-observer of the human condition.

Whoa, calm down a second. Yes, Urban from New Zealand and not the Southern United States. Yes, he has a New Zealand accent. But accents can be faked. Heck, Trek already has a long history of fake accents. You think Doohan talked like that all the time? Assuming Urban can pull off a southern drawl, maybe it's not such a stretch to have him as Bones. If he'd shave off that beard, his face is almost the same shape as the great DeForest Kelly, who originated the Bones role. More importantly, despite all the bad
movies he's been in recently, in the past Urban has shown signs of being a fairly decent actor. Plus now Trek is connected to Lord of the Rings… and that's just all kinds of geek cool.

The best news here is that if they're considering a "name” (albeit a minor one) instead of an unknown part for the character, then McCoy almost certainly plays a pivotal role in the film. There has been very little talk of McCoy at all from JJ Abrams and the folks at Paramount. I for one was worried that they'd forgotten him. Star Trek isn't the Kirk & Spock show. The reason it worked so well was the dynamic between the three characters of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Without McCoy everything falls apart. There's a better chance than ever now that Abrams gets it, and that it's the big three, not the big two. Cross your pointed ears.

TrekWeb have confirmed he is in talks.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 14/10/2007 9:29:05 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to alimac)
Post #: 233
- 14/10/2007 6:36:03 PM   
alimac

actually IGN reported it a while back

Post #: 234
RE: - 16/10/2007 11:24:08 AM   
Timon

IGN has a cool character guide/comparrison.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/827/827455p2.html

I too am unsure on Urban as McCoy, he's just too........pretty.

(in reply to alimac)
Post #: 235
RE: RE: - 16/10/2007 6:08:33 PM   
Wedge

Nice find Timon, it's exactly the sort of thing need.  IMO, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban and Zoe Saldana are the best look-a-likes.  John Cho, Chris Pine, Anton Yelchin and Simon Pegg, I'm not so convinced by, at least in looks.  Still, it all really depends on the performance, doesn't it, and a lot can be done with make up to foster a resemblance.

For quick reference, here's a comparison of the ages of actors choosen to original cast at the start of the first series.  Original on the left, new on the right.

Kirk - 35/27 (Pine)
Spock - 35/30
McCoy - 46/35 (Urban), 52 (older but much better IMO, Sinise)
Sulu - 29/35
Chekov - 30/18
Uhura - 34/29
Scotty - 46/37

Of those who are younger, the average number of years younger is 5.71.  This may give a clue as to when they are setting it and how much milage they might hope get out of a new cast before they begin to look older than the original.

< Message edited by Wedge -- 16/10/2007 6:26:45 PM >

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 236
Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 16/10/2007 7:45:55 PM   
Paulie Wallnuts

if they cast Karl Urban as Bones at least the film will have 3 good cast members in Zach Bana and Urban the rest are abysmal

Post #: 237
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 17/10/2007 2:18:52 PM   
Beno

Just look at Urbans face , he is Bones , its almost too good to be true . I can see him and Zac Quinto waxing lyrical already .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Paulie Wallnuts)
Post #: 238
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 30/10/2007 12:53:20 PM   
Timon

Apparantly Josh Lucas (Poseidon, Stealth) is being courted for Chris Pike.

Oh and The Shat is moaning to anyone who'll listen that it's unwise for the filmmakers not to include him. For God's sake Bill, keep some dignity - it's not ALL about you.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 239
RE: Must cast Karl to bring back some dignity - 1/11/2007 9:49:42 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Apparantly Josh Lucas (Poseidon, Stealth) is being courted for Chris Pike.

Oh and The Shat is moaning to anyone who'll listen that it's unwise for the filmmakers not to include him. For God's sake Bill, keep some dignity - it's not ALL about you.

I love the Shat. I think he should be in everything. Funny that he's jealous of Nimoys involvement though.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek: Kirk And Scotty Casting Rumours Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI