Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! - 8/8/2007 11:27:24 AM   
HIM

Although I love that Sylar from off of Heroes has been cast I can't help but lament the fact that Matt Damon won't be Kirk. I think Chris Evans would make a good Kirk though.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 151
RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! - 9/8/2007 9:22:56 AM   
Timon

IGN has an excellent article about where the new film could be going. Here are some extracts or just click on the below link for the whole thing. Interesting read especially if Paramount are trying to bag a big name star like Russell Crowe as the villain.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/811/811513p1.html

There is much in the way of established Star Trek lore that the filmmakers could choose to explore or reference. Captain Kirk's background alone is rich with "early years" material: his family life with father George and brother Sam; his youth on Tarsus IV where he witnessed the crimes of Kodos the Executioner; how he cheated and passed the Kobayashi Maru; his run-ins with classmates Finnegan and Ben Finney while at the Academy; his romance with Carol Marcus, which would beget his son David; his encounter with a deadly gas creature while serving as a lieutenant aboard the U.S.S. Farragut; and, of course, his promotion to captain of the Enterprise and the start of its five-year mission of exploration. It will be curious to see if Kirk's pal Lt. Commander Gary Mitchell (from the second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before") will be mentioned.

Kirk's predecessor Captain Pike is likely the Federation captain referred to in the Hollywood Reporter article, as the character was promoted to that rank prior to his reappearance in "The Menagerie." Pike's inclusion offers an interesting story element: He was left disfigured, crippled and mute after rescuing cadets during a training mission. Could this mission involve young cadets such as Chekov, Uhura or Sulu? Dramatizing Pike's downfall -- especially if he's played by a major star such as Cruise -- would certainly leave very big shoes for Kirk to fill as the new captain, especially when it comes to winning the respect of Pike's longtime science officer Spock. This could be particularly interesting if Kirk's cheating on the Kobayashi Maru is contrasted with Pike's self-sacrifice; Kirk could grow from being a reckless trickster to a selfless leader.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 152
RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! - 9/8/2007 11:25:58 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

This could be particularly interesting if Kirk's cheating on the Kobayashi Maru is contrasted with Pike's self-sacrifice; Kirk could grow from being a reckless trickster to a selfless leader.

It sounds as if theyíre creating a movie with not a minimal amount of depth, thatís for sure. Iím extremely pleased Nimroy is coming back to do flashes of Spock and the new casting of him in his youth looks quite promising. Itís nice to see them using some fresh faces for a change.

Any word on who will play Capt. Kirk yet? If heís got to face off Cruise as Pike he better not be weak.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 153
RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! - 9/8/2007 1:44:16 PM   
Timon

No confirmation yet but it could be anyone. They're casting in London and NY. Like the idea of Ryan Gosling or maybe Chris Evans though but the idea of an unknown is more tempting.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 154
RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! - 9/8/2007 1:53:55 PM   
Ripper

Its surprising, having never seen The Cage, and if I have seen The Menagerie, it must have been a long time ago, but Tom Cruise as Pike just sounds very wrong to me. It may be because I'd like nothing more than to knock the prat out, but also ... actually thats it, I just have an irrational hatred of him.

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 155
RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! - 9/8/2007 3:19:43 PM   
Timon

Note that it's just rumour and The Cruiser's spokesman is denying everything about it so it may not be happening. The man has a rather full schedule as it is. Paramount are chasing BIG names though for Pike and the villain so as to introduce the 'unknowns' who'll be playing the crew so they can afford to make several more movies after this.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 156
RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! - 9/8/2007 3:25:17 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I think Cruise would be good for the part personally. I know he's had a hell of a lot of flack from his personal life, but he's still a great actor. They need someone a bit clean cut that can get down and dirty later on really.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 157
- 10/8/2007 2:07:50 AM   
Tony Soprano

has any one been watching sky recently there showing 9 star treks and 6 star wars and having a debate to see whats better and one fan raised i good point Han Solo or James T Kirk who would win in a fight i go for Kirk

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 158
RE: - 19/8/2007 9:42:10 PM   
Beno

I said it before , ill say it again ..... Zac Efron for Kirk .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Tony Soprano)
Post #: 159
RE: RE: - 19/8/2007 10:29:03 PM   
HIM

I know it's not the best source for movie news but the News of the World are saying James McAvoy has bagged the role of Scotty. Any truth in this or are they just filling column inches with gossip?

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 160
RE: RE: - 20/8/2007 9:14:32 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

I know it's not the best source for movie news but the News of the World are saying James McAvoy has bagged the role of Scotty. Any truth in this or are they just filling column inches with gossip?

I've seen that story in a few places today so it might have some truth to it...I hope so because he would, I believe be great.

Yes, always.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 161
- 20/8/2007 12:29:44 PM   
Tony Soprano

that would be excellent if he got that time will tell i do know one true fact is that there going to be shooting in Iceland for a couple weeks and it will be a 85 day shoot starting in november oh god i sound like a nerd ahhhhhhh

Post #: 162
RE: - 20/8/2007 3:39:52 PM   
impqueen

Quinto is an excellent choice I think and I agree it is great seeing Nimoy so involved and I like the idea of Cruise as Pike too odd how I can really see him in it....

As for Kirk I hope they don't get too big a star though I'd be interested in seeing someone like Gosling though my choices are rather left field and not so obvious Peter Sarsgaard anyone? Even David Tennant has popped up a few times...I don't like the idea of Chris Evans mind you...

< Message edited by impqueen -- 20/8/2007 3:47:35 PM >

Yes, always.

Post #: 163
- 20/8/2007 4:44:29 PM   
Tony Soprano

well James is your man great actor who was harshly shunned for a oscar nomination in Last king of scotland and isn't really a big name although this will make him a big name but he will eventually become one

Post #: 164
RE: - 21/8/2007 1:56:34 PM   
Beno

I keep trying to push the idea of Zac Efron for the role of Kirk but people have said he is too young - he is 20 in October - . Anton Yelchin - cast as Chekov - is only 18 years old and cos of this i have scoff at other peoples choices for Kirk . How old were these guys at Starfleet Acadamy ? Surely late Teens early Twenties is about right . So the Damon , Gosling , Sarsgaard ideas are way off . And yes i know Quinto is 30 but Spock is considerably older than all the other characters .

In a nutshell :

Zac Efron - Kirk .

Gregory Lee Kenyon - Pike ( i doubt Pikes even in it ).

Paula Patton ( Deja-vu ) - Uhura .

Cant picture anyone i can think of to play Bones and Mcavoy as Scotty sounds good enough but there is no resemblence..... COMMENTS .....

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 165
RE: RE: - 21/8/2007 2:32:53 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

I keep trying to push the idea of Zac Efron for the role of Kirk but people have said he is too young - he is 20 in October - . Anton Yelchin - cast as Chekov - is only 18 years old and cos of this i have scoff at other peoples choices for Kirk .

Yeah but they wouldn't have been at the Acadmey at the same time.

Kirk is a captain, Chekov is an ensign. There's probably a good 8 years worth of experience dividing them.

Kirk is going to have to be older as he'll have to be old enough to get command of a starship. I wouldn't be suprised if the likes of Chekov, Sulu and Uhura are the young cadets that are caught in the shuttle fire that paralysed Pike and because of this are later assigned to the Enterprise under Kirk.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 166
RE: RE: - 21/8/2007 2:59:42 PM   
Beno

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

I keep trying to push the idea of Zac Efron for the role of Kirk but people have said he is too young - he is 20 in October - . Anton Yelchin - cast as Chekov - is only 18 years old and cos of this i have scoff at other peoples choices for Kirk .

Yeah but they wouldn't have been at the Acadmey at the same time.

Kirk is a captain, Chekov is an ensign. There's probably a good 8 years worth of experience dividing them.

Kirk is going to have to be older as he'll have to be old enough to get command of a starship. I wouldn't be suprised if the likes of Chekov, Sulu and Uhura are the young cadets that are caught in the shuttle fire that paralysed Pike and because of this are later assigned to the Enterprise under Kirk.

I like the sound of that Timon but what about the fact that Chekov wasnt even around at the start of Star Trek originally , has the mighty JJ made a mistake . Also back to Efron i seriously think the kid "looks" right for the role .

< Message edited by Beno -- 21/8/2007 3:01:44 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 167
RE: RE: - 21/8/2007 3:07:49 PM   
Timon

Well he might have been. This is where you get into continuity issues.

You don't see him till Season 2 of TOS, but Khan says he remembers him and Space Seed was an first season episode SO it must stand to reason that Chekov was on board the Enterprise from the start, just not a bridge officer.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 168
RE: RE: - 21/8/2007 3:17:15 PM   
Beno

quote:

Well he might have been. This is where you get into continuity issues.

You don't see him till Season 2 of TOS, but Khan says he remembers him and Space Seed was an first season episode SO it must stand to reason that Chekov was on board the Enterprise from the start, just not a bridge officer.

Jeez i forgot about that Khan one . Its a shame filmakers are not always the geeks of info. that real fans can be .

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 169
CRowe for Klingon - 25/8/2007 10:01:03 AM   
Tony Soprano

Zack Efron are u serious good god someone wake me up .I love the rumours i am hearing about Russel Crowe as a possible baddy he would make a perfect Klingon

Post #: 170
RE: Star Trek: Uhura Cast - 30/8/2007 10:51:38 AM   
Timon

Trekmovie.com is reporting that 29-year-old actress ZoŽ Saldana has been offered the part of Uhura - the USS Enterpriseís communications officer originally played by Nichelle Nichols. Apparently the deal is not yet final and one outstanding issue may be related to her schedule starring in the James Cameron sci-fi mega movie Avatar which is still in production. Sources indicate that Avatar will be doing location shooting starting in October and Star Trek is slated to start shooting in November.

The actress had a small role in the 2003 hit Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, but the lead in Avatar and being cast as the new Uhura puts her into the genre film top tier. Saldana has a connection to Star Trek producer/director J.J. Abrams as she was in two episodes in the recent ABC series Six Degrees produced by Abrams and fellow Star Trek producer Bryan Burk. But the new Star Trek is not actually her first brush with Trek. Saldana played a Trekkie customs officer in the 2004 film The Terminal starring Tom Hanks.

The website has even done a mock up of Zoe in her possible Trek role.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/Zoe-Saldana---Uhura-big.jpg

All very interesting but the 'big' roles of Kirk, Pike and the villain have yet to be cast.

Post #: 171
RE: Star Trek: Uhura Cast - 30/8/2007 11:32:40 AM   
jackcarter

Kirk will be a Brandon Routh style unknown - who looks like a 1960s Shatner (as Quinto looks like a young Nimoy)

Pike will be a big star - Tom Cruise (the MI Abrams connection) or Tom Hanks (big Trekkie who very nearly played Cochrane in First Contact) or Ray Liotta (looks like Jeffery Hunter) or Jim Cavizal (for the Jesus/ Hunter connection - but would be a cool Pike imo) or maybe Val Kilmer (sure why not)

Villian will be a big star - Russel Crowe (if they are very very lucky - unlikely due to his 2 upcoming Scott movies though)

This is Trek done on a big scale (for the first time since the original 1979 movie) so i expect there will be some big stars in it...especially with Abrams behind it...and the alleged killer script

I expect some big name actors who are trekkies will be trying to get a peek at the script...

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 30/8/2007 11:43:17 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 172
RE: CRowe for Klingon - 30/8/2007 12:14:34 PM   
alimac

Crowe would be a great choice for a Klingon i hope JJ can get him to do it

Post #: 173
RE: Star Trek: Uhura Cast - 30/8/2007 12:18:27 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

I†expect some big name actors who are trekkies will be trying to get a peek at the script...

According to aintitcool, the script is 'Trek to the Future'

This is not 100% confirmed at all but interesting none the less.

Certainly, STAR TREK is about as stark a set of archetypes as you could ask for when doing a remake. It all depends on hiring the right young Kirk, young Spock, and young McCoy.

Those are your big three. You need that dynamic to be perfect so everything else falls into place. Most of the big drama happens in the friction between those three personalities. So obviously the first film is going to find a way to put those three people together. Right?

Sort of. Possibly.

Okay, first thing that surprised me: I think Leonard Nimoy is sort of the star of the movie. I think a lot of this movie is about Spock. Nimoy-aged Spock, mind you.

How?

Okay... you know the scene in BACK TO THE FUTURE 2? Where Doc Brown explains alternate timelines? Well, this is sort of... ummm... TREK TO THE FUTURE, I guess you would call it...

Picture an incident that throws a group of Romulans back in time. Picture that group of Romulans figuring out where they are in the timeline, then deciding to take advantage of the accident to kill someoneís father, to erase them from the timeline before they exist, thereby changing all of the TREK universe as a result. Who would you erase? Whose erasure would leave the biggest hole in the TREK universe is the question you should be asking.

Who else, of course, but James T. Kirk?

If Spock were in a position to change that incident back, and then in a position to guard that timeline and make sure things happen the way theyíre supposed to, it creates...

... well, what does it create? Because evidently the plan is to use this second timeline as a way of rebooting without erasing or ignoring canon. These new voyages of the ENTERPRISE, theyíre taking place in whatever timeline starts with this story. Maybe this timeline features dramatic differences. Like... say... if Vulcan were to be blown up. If the Vulcans in the series were suddenly the last of their kind, alone in the universe, it would change who they are and maybe even redefine their strict rejection of emotion in favor of logic.

You can introduce these Universe2 versions of classic TREK events and characters, and you can play with the audienceís expectation. Things have changed. Some things play out the way you expectÖ some donít. Itís basically the same solution Marvel Comics has in terms of publishing, the way they use their ULTIMATES line to reboot continuity.

As a friend said when I was talking to him about this tonight, ďWait... so youíre saying theyíre not just doing a square one reboot that would simplify everything, but that theyíre actually making it... more complicated?Ē

It would appear so. Not that I think TREK fans mind complicated. Itís certainly not the safest choice if this is, in fact, the direction he goes with the film.

Iím not telling you that anything I said above is 100% set in stone. I donít think Abrams is far enough along for that to be the case yet. But they are considering some really crazy reinventions, on par with some of the choices Abrams was making on SUPERMAN.

Who was the original captain of the ENTERPRISE?

I know the answer to that question in the canon STAR TREK universe right now... but will it be the same in the Abrams TREK universe?

Can you fundamentally alter one or more of the characters in that main trio, and still expect the same chemistry when you put the three characters together?

Thatís the real question Abrams is going to have to face when he reveals his TREK next Christmas. I think youíd have to be crazy to bet against him, and Iím intrigued by some of these decisions, but Iím also willing to bet that even details as vague as the ones Iíve reported here today will cause a fair bit of debate. Abrams certainly doesnít take low-profile gigs, and I guess thatís one of the reasons heís gotten so good at trying to engage the audience early or in unconventional media ways. Iíll be curious to see how he gets the public ready for his version of TREK. What the images are we see first. How he sets the visual tone for the world. I hope itís very classic TREK. I hope thatís something they embrace. The greatest visual representation of that Ď60s version of the universe, all Roddenberry optimistic with big giant philosophical ambition. Pop that aims a little higher.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 174
RE: CRowe for Klingon - 30/8/2007 12:18:48 PM   
jackcarter

so  he thinks its gonna be a Back to The Future 2 style Trek film creating an alternate version of the original series with old Spock (Nimoy) as the main star guarding the timeline... 

what  a crazy idea.

we'll see

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 30/8/2007 12:20:48 PM >

(in reply to alimac)
Post #: 175
RE: CRowe for Klingon - 30/8/2007 12:50:46 PM   
Scruffybobby

I really, really hope that this time-travel stuff is a load of tribble -poo. There's too much time-travel stuff in Trek as it is.

One of the things that spoiled Enterprise for me was the all the "time war" bollocks, what was wrong with a straightforward birth of the federation story?

I'm imagining more of a Mission: Impossible style reboot. It may piss off the hardcore Trekkies (of which I was one, once) but I'm warming to the idea.  Anyway as the movie is still over a year away, any speculation is pretty moot

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 176
RE: Star Trek: Uhura Cast - 30/8/2007 3:26:51 PM   
shool

Sounds risky, but certainly would fit in with having old and young spock.

You never know it might turn out to be a stroke of genius and a good way to do a launch story free of a few constraints.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 177
Crowe for Klingon - 30/8/2007 4:46:44 PM   
alimac

they should make crowe a klingon and the villian of the film it would be a stroke of genius

Post #: 178
RE: Crowe for Klingon - 30/8/2007 8:29:59 PM   
Wedge

Personally, I like the timeline idea.  Sure it's a bit samey but I always like time travel stories and it is very 'star trek'.  There was a rumour a while ago that Gary Sinise might play McCoy.  I think he'd be perfect or the role.  McCoy is older than Kirk and Spock (or seems to be older, but who can tell with Vulcans).

[image]http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/W/e/N/seasonprem14.jpg[/image][image]http://scifipulse.scifiwebs.com/images/De/deforestkelley2.jpg[/image]

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to alimac)
Post #: 179
- 30/8/2007 11:50:01 PM   
alimac

ok but why use crowe for klingon if ur not going to talk about it

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek XI: Chekov Boards! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI