Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 5/1/2012 9:05:41 AM   
Saltire

Great news on Benedict; both he and Tom Hardy are really going places now which is brill!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 961
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 5/1/2012 9:14:58 AM   
Darth Marenghi

Cumberbatch should totally play Sybok in this film, you know.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 962
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 5/1/2012 10:12:29 AM   
Marwood

Good call; I think Benedict is a great actor really hitting his stride so interesting to see what he'd do in a villainous role (if he's definitely playing a villain of couse).

I very much liked his turn in Atonement which played on charm which he can do in spades but then perverted it once the truth came out; watching his performance again after knowing what his character was up to you can see a lot of subtle nastiness. As a villain I guess my only gripe would be that he doesn't come across as very physically formidable and as the 2009 film was quite physical I'd be surprised if this one didn't feature some kind of throw down between Bad Guy and Kirk/Spock/whomever again. Eric Bana made quite a forboding impression and basically beat Kirk down with minimal effort so if a boss fight came up in the sequel I'd be interested to see how they'd play it - then again Benedict is quite wiry so maybe as a combatant he'd be all about speed and precision striking than blunt force. Plus if he's an alien character then appearance means dick I suppose.

Anyway, good addition to the cast whatever he's playing.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 963
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 5/1/2012 11:21:18 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood
As a villain I guess my only gripe would be that he doesn't come across as very physically formidable and as the 2009 film was quite physical I'd be surprised if this one didn't feature some kind of throw down between Bad Guy and Kirk/Spock/whomever again. Eric Bana made quite a forboding impression and basically beat Kirk down with minimal effort so if a boss fight came up in the sequel I'd be interested to see how they'd play it - then again Benedict is quite wiry so maybe as a combatant he'd be all about speed and precision striking than blunt force. Plus if he's an alien character then appearance means dick I suppose.

You're assuming that to be a great villain you have to be physically formidable. Most of the best bad guys are physically weak but intellectually superior to their opponent.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 964
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 5/1/2012 11:32:25 AM   
Cool Breeze

This is Star Trek so we have to see Kirk get into a few fist fights.The villain should be physically formidable or at least have an imposing henchman.It would also be nice to see Pines Kirk actually WIN a fight ot two in the sequel(he got his ass handed to him more than once in the 2009 film).

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 965
RE: Noel Clarke Boldly Going... - 5/1/2012 12:28:42 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Noel Clarke (Doctor Who, Kidulthood, Centurion) has been cast in the Star Trek sequel joining Alice Eve, Paul Weller and Nolan North.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=85639

He'll play a "family man". Christ, bare minimum of detail Paramount!

if he's a scientist he could be playing richard daystrom, who invented the computers used on starships.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 6/1/2012 11:47:50 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 966
RE: Noel Clarke Boldly Going... - 6/1/2012 7:24:43 PM   
Private Hudson

As long as Tim from the Office doesn't turn up playing a Klingon I'll be happy.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 967
RE: Noel Clarke Boldly Going... - 6/1/2012 7:25:42 PM   
Private Hudson

Seriously old Sherlock is a good actor and he will probably either be a scientist or surely a Klingon?

I would find it hard to believe this Star Trek movie won't have a heavy Klingon presence in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 968
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 6/1/2012 8:31:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

This is Star Trek so we have to see Kirk get into a few fist fights.The villain should be physically formidable or at least have an imposing henchman.It would also be nice to see Pines Kirk actually WIN a fight ot two in the sequel(he got his ass handed to him more than once in the 2009 film).

Indiana Jones got his ass handed to him all the time - audiences can relate to that, and feel good when the hero finally gets the upper hand.

As for fist fights - Wrath of Khan did ok without Kirk fighting Khan directly.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 969
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 7/1/2012 10:15:33 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Indiana Jones got his ass handed to him all the time - audiences can relate to that, and feel good when the hero finally gets the upper hand.

Exactly, we all know Khan would've wasted Kirk in a fight (being genetically superior n' all) but that wasn't the point. It was all about the mind games between the two, trying to outsmart each other, that's why the film works. If it had just been some dumb fist fights I don't think the film would be as revered as it is today.

I really hope they don't go down the Khan road, the characters too iconic and has already been done, I can't see anyone topping Ricardo Montablan's performance.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 970
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 7/1/2012 10:25:32 AM   
jobloffski

You can do Khan without it being Wrath of...Just have the new timeline depict Khan and followers carrying out the plan that was the reason for them being marooned. There is a certain level of viciousness and horror to the plan that would produce good bad guy, not the angry thwarted vengeful Khan going after the man he holds responsible for his barren life, but the arrogant, superior Khan that intended to subjugate/wipe out the non genetically engineered inferiors. Same character, different story, because there's a different drive behind the characters actions making it far enough away from the second movie to be a story worth telling, basically because the lead in is different to the earlier one. In the new timeline maybe Khan wouldn;t be encountered until after the plan is in effect. There's then fan service for people who know the kind of thing to expect (but even then, the story wouldn't be the same, since the full horror of what the marooning avoided could be depicted) and many people, like the new crew, wouldn;t even know who Khan is.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 7/1/2012 10:30:46 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 971
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 7/1/2012 8:31:56 PM   
Private Hudson

No I agree that if they are going down a new timeline then we don't really want to see any major old villains appear. Ok perhaps a little cameo or something but don't retread over old ground or it is really a wasted opportunity.

But we do need to see Kirk fight! And his shirt has to get ripped off!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 972
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 9/1/2012 2:31:22 PM   
spark1

more trek casting talk from j j

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/08/jj-abrams-gives-star-trek-sequel-production-update-talks-cumberbatch-casting/

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 973
RE: Noel Clarke Boldly Going... - 9/1/2012 2:46:26 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Seriously old Sherlock is a good actor and he will probably either be a scientist or surely a Klingon?

I would find it hard to believe this Star Trek movie won't have a heavy Klingon presence in it.

Actually I was thinking Vulcan...but an eeeeevil (or perceived to be) Vulcan. Given the events of the reboot I think there's scope for a lot more dramatic turns for that race and further to take Spock in unexpected directions given the new/alternate timeline.

With you on the Klingons though; surely next to Khan they're a classic antagonistic presence that people are interested to see Abrams put a spin on? Not counting the deleted scene from the 2009 film of course.

Also Kirk's got to have a fistfight with a lizard man and get his shirt torn. Or just tear it himself at some point ala that great episode of Futurama where he does it to get into the right mood.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 974
RE: Noel Clarke Boldly Going... - 10/1/2012 11:26:11 AM   
spark1

or b c could a mad scientist/rogue starship captain?

< Message edited by spark1 -- 17/1/2012 1:24:14 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 975
RE: Noel Clarke Boldly Going... - 10/1/2012 2:22:11 PM   
Marwood

Possibilities are endless really, regardless of who he's playing I hope he nails it.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 976
RE: Noel Clarke Boldly Going... - 10/1/2012 5:47:01 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

or b c could a mad scientist/rouge starship captain?

LOL

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 977
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 11/1/2012 1:10:56 PM   
spark1

the benedict/alice connection-

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/10/alice-eve-talks-cumberbatch-working-on-star-trek-clips-from-past-cumberbatcheve-films/

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 978
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 13/1/2012 12:06:00 PM   
spark1

'bones? buckle up!'

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/12/star-trek-sequel-begins-shooting-exclusive-production-update/

< Message edited by spark1 -- 15/1/2012 11:57:26 AM >

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 979
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 13/1/2012 12:44:43 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Damn! I'm really looking forward to this film! I loved the 'first' one, i thought JJ did a magnifiicent job on it, and i cannot wait to see what else he hs in store for us!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 980
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 14/1/2012 5:55:22 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Looking forward to this second J.J Abrams take on Star Trek as I really enjoyed the 2009 refreshing take,though die-hard Trekkies have issues with it.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 981
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 17/1/2012 12:09:21 PM   
spark1

BC not a villain?-

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/16/benedict-cumberbatch-talks-prep-for-star-trek-sequel-role/

< Message edited by spark1 -- 17/1/2012 12:10:41 PM >

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 982
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 17/1/2012 12:48:13 PM   
directorscut

What an unfortunate name.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 983
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 17/1/2012 12:57:00 PM   
Cool Breeze

Maybe hel be playing the crazy Dr Richard Daystrom from the classic episode ''The Ultimate Computer'' ?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 984
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 17/1/2012 5:06:54 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

As a villain I guess my only gripe would be that he doesn't come across as very physically formidable and as the 2009 film was quite physical I'd be surprised if this one didn't feature some kind of throw down between Bad Guy and Kirk/Spock/whomever again. Eric Bana made quite a forboding impression and basically beat Kirk down with minimal effort so if a boss fight came up in the sequel I'd be interested to see how they'd play it - then again Benedict is quite wiry so maybe as a combatant he'd be all about speed and precision striking than blunt force. Plus if he's an alien character then appearance means dick I suppose.

You're assuming that to be a great villain you have to be physically formidable. Most of the best bad guys are physically weak but intellectually superior to their opponent.

Not at all, just felt that the last film was quite energetic and physical so am thinking that the next may have a similar approach and in which case I'd expect some kind of boss fight. Pure wild speculation.

I'd debate that "most of the best bad guys are physically weak" statement but I understand exactly what you mean and agree that the mark of a good or great villain doesn't have to include being a brawler by any means.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 985
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 17/1/2012 5:10:58 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not at all, just felt that the last film was quite energetic and physical so am thinking that the next may have a similar approach and in which case I'd expect some kind of boss fight. Pure wild speculation.

I'd debate that "most of the best bad guys are physically weak" statement but I understand exactly what you mean and agree that the mark of a good or great villain doesn't have to include being a brawler by any means.

I should've said "many" instead of "most", my bad.

On that subject I reckon Cumberbatch will play Khan (assuming Khan is in the film).

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 986
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 18/1/2012 10:54:13 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly, we all know Khan would've wasted Kirk in a fight (being genetically superior n' all) but that wasn't the point. It was all about the mind games between the two, trying to outsmart each other, that's why the film works. If it had just been some dumb fist fights I don't think the film would be as revered as it is today.

I really hope they don't go down the Khan road, the characters too iconic and has already been done, I can't see anyone topping Ricardo Montablan's performance.

Actually Kirk defeated Khan in hand to hand combat in the original series episode ''Space Seed''.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 987
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 18/1/2012 12:03:06 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually Kirk defeated Khan in hand to hand combat in the original series episode ''Space Seed''.

Yes I know this, I'm speaking of Khan post Ceti Alpha V. The one all pumped up, weather beaten, angry and vengeful. A very different person to the Lothario we saw earlier in Space Seed. That Khan wasn't prepared for Kirk, the latter one would've kicked his ass.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 988
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 18/1/2012 12:42:37 PM   
spark1

they could pick a latino actor to play khan if he was in the film as they would a black actor to play daystrom.

though an asian actor like the one who played the kelvin's captain would be better.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 19/1/2012 11:02:19 AM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 989
RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... - 18/1/2012 5:15:02 PM   
Timon

If it is Khan, I will honestly be very disappointed.

Which is why I'm almost sure it won't be.

< Message edited by Timon -- 18/1/2012 5:16:05 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Benedict Cumberbatch Boldly Going... Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI