Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Trek XI

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek XI Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek XI - 19/12/2006 2:26:45 AM   
Timon

Well all my thoughts about Star Trek XI can be found in the top thread when i started a thread about Future Trek films but i thought i'd share with you a record.

Since the relase of Star Trek: The Motion Picture on  December 7th, 1979 there had been a steady stream of Star Trek films. Over the next 23 years Paramount released new Trek films every 2-3 years. The longest gap of 4 years and 2 days was between Star Trek Insurrection and the last film Star Trek: Nemesis, which was released on December 13, 2002. As of this weekend that record has been broken and every day between now and the release of Star Trek XI will be a Trek franchise record.

So now you know.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to RRedshiftedd)
Post #: 31
RE: Star Trek XI - 19/12/2006 10:01:45 AM   
hot_toast

I'd rather wait a fair while and get a quality film than another turgid potboiler like Nemesis or Insurrection

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 32
RE: Star Trek XI - 22/12/2006 5:45:47 PM   
darth silas

i think the next film should be a ''star trek begins'' movie.it worked for batman.im sure jj abrams will come up with something great though,hes ace!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to hot_toast)
Post #: 33
RE: Star Trek XI - 22/12/2006 6:27:53 PM   
Ripper

Im sure you'd agree they wont go wrong casting Daniel Craig in it eh?

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 34
RE: Star Trek XI - 24/12/2006 4:07:43 PM   
ukedge87

How about a movie centred around the history of one major Trek character: say Spock, Kirk or Patrick Stewart.

A biopic from one they are born until becoming members aboard the ship's control room.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 35
RE: Star Trek XI - 24/12/2006 4:25:49 PM   
Ripper

Youve seen loads of Trek havent you?

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to ukedge87)
Post #: 36
Star Trek XI - 26/12/2006 10:20:28 PM   
johncoates

I'd loved the original Star Trek until 'The Next Generation' arrived and then the original series seemed to become so insignificant, as do all the manifestations since 'The Next Generation'. So many fans that I know feel the same way and if 'Star Trek XI' isn't 'Next Generation' then I guess our Trekking days are over, and that would be so sad as 'Nemisis' set tthe stage for the next movie and we've been avidly awaiting it's arrival.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 37
RE: Star Trek XI - 27/12/2006 2:21:49 PM   
impqueen

DO NOT MAKE THIS FILM!!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU INTEND TO FUCK UP THE CHARACTERS OF SPOCK, BONES OR KIRK!

FUCKING MONEY GRABBING BASTARDS!

< Message edited by impqueen -- 27/12/2006 2:22:27 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to johncoates)
Post #: 38
RE: Star Trek XI - 27/12/2006 3:47:21 PM   
Ripper

Star Trek trolls are great eh?

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 39
RE: Star Trek XI - 28/12/2006 10:14:42 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

I'm not a troll I just really do no want them to make this film, because it will no doubt suck and screw up everything I love about the original series and the characters I really like such as Spock and McCoy.

Sorry if you were offended by the use of capital letters and language.

I feel the same way about the Watchman Film, it should not be made.

Star Trek had a great run, 10 films and only 3-4 bad entries into that universe 1, 5 and 9…yes the last film was poor but it was fine for most Trek fans. The idea of going back and using beloved characters such as Spock and Kirk and using different actors to play them is truly atrocious to me it won't work right.

Star Trek get's bashed enough without being desecrated and humiliated by money grabbing studio bastards trying to get every last drop of milk from a franchise that has been going for 40 years and really should now be left alone. The cancellation of Enterprise and the Box- Office gross of Nemesis are proof of this, unlike Batman, Bond or Superman you can't fuck with some of the cannon or replace actors to portray such iconic characters like Kirk, Scotty or Spock.

It doesn't matter though because they will do it anyway…Look at the Transformers Film/Forums some people really hate the new designs.

But then I get the feeling you aren't a Trek Fan.   

< Message edited by impqueen -- 28/12/2006 10:32:52 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 40
RE: Star Trek XI - 28/12/2006 1:49:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

A new film would need a completely new crew IMO - my idea was to have a bunch of cadets on a training mission where things somehow go wrong and they have to take charge. Makes a change from having strong captains in charge in all the series and films. How about a captain who is morally a bit off center? Rather than what we have seen to date, universally a bunch of goody two-shoes

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 41
RE: Star Trek XI - 10/1/2007 3:05:14 PM   
space_time_paradox

personaly i think one of the best things about star trek could be in the opening credits "to Boldly go where no one has gone before " maybe it would be a good idea to continue the voyager theme (maybe even with the voyager crew?) but not only have them lost in space but time also maybe the future 10, or 20,000 or any number maybe the past but this time let them lose their memories as well continue with a new series and as the series or just movie continues they can begin to rediscover their own identitys  and begin to unravell the great mystery or maybe go to a future where the human race has no longer controll over the federation i'm thinking something along the lines of land of the giants but giants in technology

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 42
RE: Star Trek XI - 10/1/2007 3:11:04 PM   
Timon

I think that's the idea that they're going for with the new Trek series (see Small Screen), set 150 years after Voyager with the Federation in tatters after a long war.

Problem is it'll be animated.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to space_time_paradox)
Post #: 43
RE: Star Trek XI - 10/1/2007 3:20:02 PM   
space_time_paradox

i hope so i was never struck on Enterprise do you know any thing else about the new film ?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 44
RE: Star Trek XI - 10/1/2007 3:25:24 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I think that's the idea that they're going for with the new Trek series (see Small Screen), set 150 years after Voyager with the Federation in tatters after a long war.

Ill admit, I havent exactly had my finger on the Trek pulse but I've just checked StarTrek.com and wikipedia, but I cant tell theres another series out? Are you talking about the re tooled TOS? or have I just completely missed the point?

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 45
RE: Star Trek XI - 10/1/2007 3:27:36 PM   
Timon

JJ Abrams is directing.

It'll be a prequel possibly featuring a young Kirk and Spock

The Shat and Nimoy have shown interest in appearing if they have substanial roles

Matt Damon is rumoured for the young Capt Kirk

All past rumours on the film can be found in my Future Star Trek films thread which is here

Film might be semi based on the Starfleet Acadamey script that has been doing the rounds for years, a review of it can be found - HERE

Abrams wants all Trekkies to keep an open mind and thinks everyone will enjoy it.

Michael Giacchino (Lost, MI3, The Incredibles) will be doing the film's score.

Wikipedia's Star Trek XI page is pretty comprehensive

< Message edited by Timon -- 10/1/2007 3:39:16 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: Star Trek XI - 10/1/2007 3:29:00 PM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

Ill admit, I havent exactly had my finger on the Trek pulse but I've just checked StarTrek.com and wikipedia, but I cant tell theres another series out? Are you talking about the re tooled TOS? or have I just completely missed the point?

See the thread in Small Screen that I have cunningly resurrected with the latest rumours.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 47
RE: Star Trek XI - 11/1/2007 4:51:03 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

I'm not a troll I just really do no want them to make this film, because it will no doubt suck and screw up everything I love about the original series and the characters I really like such as Spock and McCoy.

Star Trek had a great run, 10 films and only 3-4 bad entries into that universe 1, 5 and 9…yes the last film was poor but it was fine for most Trek fans. The idea of going back and using beloved characters such as Spock and Kirk and using different actors to play them is truly atrocious to me it won't work right.

I've been thinking alot about this especially since Abrams just announced the script is finished and it just needs to be trimmed. To bridge this problem. They need Kirk and Spock in and possibly McCoy (despite Deforest Kelly passing) and I have an idea how to do it.

You could start the film in 2375 or whenever Voyager ended and Ambassador Spock is visiting Kirk's simple grave on Veridian III where he died in Generations. Admiral McCoy (last seen in the pilot of TNG) could also recently have passed and Spock is contemplating his friendship with the two men.

Without sounding cheesy, he could utter a variation on the famous line, "I am, and always shall be your friend" and the film can go whereever it wants to.

Rumour has it that IT'S not a Acadmey film. We'll see Kirk, Spock and McCoy possibly meeting at the Acadmey put i hear the film deals with Kirk as a young captain. If this is the case, they'll need to deal with Kirk and Spock being reunited after Spock served under Captain Christopher Pike on the Enterprise and Kirk served on other ships in the fleet. Ditto with McCoy.

If they just lump the two together on the Enterprise, they'll be ignoring the Original Series established series of events which if they're doing a film about a young Kirk and Spock is a serious mistake.

Us fanboys aren't a forgiving bunch.

< Message edited by Timon -- 11/1/2007 4:56:18 PM >

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 48
RE: Star Trek XI - 11/1/2007 5:12:39 PM   
Ripper

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

I've been thinking alot about this especially since Abrams just announced the script is finished and it just needs to be trimmed. To bridge this problem. They need Kirk and Spock in and possibly McCoy (despite Deforest Kelly passing) and I have an idea how to do it.

You could start the film in 2375 or whenever Voyager ended and Ambassador Spock is visiting Kirk's simple grave on Veridian III where he died in Generations. Admiral McCoy (last seen in the pilot of TNG) could also recently have passed and Spock is contemplating his friendship with the two men.

Without sounding cheesy, he could utter a variation on the famous line, "I am, and always shall be your friend" and the film can go whereever it wants to.

Rumour has it that IT'S not a Acadmey film. We'll see Kirk, Spock and McCoy possibly meeting at the Acadmey put i hear the film deals with Kirk as a young captain. If this is the case, they'll need to deal with Kirk and Spock being reunited after Spock served under Captain Christopher Pike on the Enterprise and Kirk served on other ships in the fleet. Ditto with McCoy.

If they just lump the two together on the Enterprise, they'll be ignoring the Original Series established series of events which if they're doing a film about a young Kirk and Spock is a serious mistake.

Us fanboys aren't a forgiving bunch.

Lol really?

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 49
RE: Star Trek XI - 12/1/2007 2:27:39 PM   
space_time_paradox

i think they should forget about going back if they want to bring any old charcters in they should somehow bring them to a future date and how about a new enemy how about an enemy from the future who has a time machine of his/her own and starts to meddle with human history bringing people from the past out of curiosity the scope could be endless

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 50
RE: Star Trek XI - 12/1/2007 4:25:33 PM   
Timon

Rumours are abounding.....

Characters that will be it, locations and from what I'm hearing....they seem to be sitting to the established history. Well that's something. IESB.com is saying the following.

Here is what we think we know. (unlike the pre-TOS setting and the inclusion of Kirk and Spock, everything that follows is not yet to be confirmed)

- Origin story focusing on Kirk (and his relationship with Spock)
- Story jumps around in time (perhaps a bit like Batman Begins)
- There will be scenes from various times and locations in Kirk’s life, possibly including
Iowa
Starfleet Academy
USS Farragut (ship Kirk served on as Lieutenant)
USS Enterprise

- There will be a number of familiar characters (beyond Kirk and Spock), possibly including:
Captain Pike
George Kirk (Kirk’s brother)
Captain Garrovick (of USS Farragut)
Dr Leonard McCoy
Montgomery Scott

Well at least they're including Pike! Ray Liotta for Pike! Who's with me? As for George Kirk, they better not do what they did in the series and put a mustache on William Shatner.

It's all about casting. Who could fill the shoes of Deforest Kelly and Jimmy Doohan?

Trekmovie.com has also speculated on where in Kirk's life the story would take place. I've pasted the little paragraph below for people who are unfamiliar with the life and times of James T Kirk.

Thoughts: Cadet? Captain? Lieutenant?
Since the first leak in Variety one of the biggest questions around Trek XI is…where in Kirk’s life is it set. There is a lot of time before the Original Series caught up to him during his 5 year mission as Captain of the Enterprise. Much of the early speculation (sparked by Variety) was that the film would focus on Kirk’s Academy years. This site reported that the film would cover the other end of the spectrum…Kirk’s first mission as Captain of the Enteprise. Now we are hearing there are scenes at other times in his life, most interestingly as a Lieutenant on the USS Farragut. As we know the writers for Trek XI are steeped in Trek lore, and Trek history states that 7 years before Kirk was on the Enterprise he was a young officer on the USS Farragut. It was on this ship that Kirk met with a crisis and lost his captain and half his crew, and he also blamed himself for hesitating to fire phasers on a ‘vampire cloud creature’ that was attacking the ship. This was all covered in the episode ‘Obsession’, when Kirk as Captain of the Enterprise re-confronts the creature and goes a little nuts…or gets ‘obsessive’. This, probably more than the fabled ‘Kobyashi Maru Starfleet Academy scenario discussed in Star Trek II’, is a key moment in Kirk’s life. The big unknown is how much of the film covers these early times in Kirk’s life. It may be that it quickly goes over them and gets us to the Enterprise, or perhaps we can see Kirk’s journey. This is speculation now, but it would be interesting to see how James T. Kirk went from a young officer who lost his crew and blamed himself, to being the youngest captain in Starfleet…in 7 years. How did he pull that off? That sounds like an interesting movie.

So does the film get to the Enterprise early on…or does it show the journey to it (in the same way that Star Wars: Episode III showed how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader). Only time will tell.

< Message edited by Timon -- 12/1/2007 4:30:45 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: Star Trek XI - 12/1/2007 5:37:24 PM   
impqueen

Ray Liotta for Pike! Is quite cool.
...put a moustache on William Shatner. ~ (Oh but that was genius!) 

I like the ideas and the rumours BUT and I don't know what it is but i'm just not feeling the film at all (can you guess from my past posts?) there is just something wrong about the whole sordid concept of going back to the Academy days of Kirk and I just know they will mess with the somewhat solid canon of Star Trek.

I know I'm being stubborn and ultra geeky but I just can not see anyone else as the characters (Kirk, Spock, Scotty or McCoy) either,  Pike i'm fine with because Jeffery Hunter is quite easy to "imitate" in both manner and looks, he is also not THAT iconic. I've also got the feeling even if they do achieve some resonance of the original series that the whole debacle will be an unmitigated disaster...JJ is a fine television writer and Alias was great, Lost is a bit rubbish though and MI3 while it had it's moments was just a little lame.   

I think I need something spectacular to help me settle and start to believe this film is more than just another cash milking scheme.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 52
RE: Star Trek XI - 21/1/2007 5:16:43 PM   
Kenny

quote:

ORIGINAL: space_time_paradox

personaly i think one of the best things about star trek could be in the opening credits "to Boldly go where no one has gone before " maybe it would be a good idea to continue the voyager theme (maybe even with the voyager crew?) but not only have them lost in space but time also maybe the future 10, or 20,000 or any number maybe the past but this time let them lose their memories as well continue with a new series and as the series or just movie continues they can begin to rediscover their own identitys  and begin to unravell the great mystery or maybe go to a future where the human race has no longer controll over the federation i'm thinking something along the lines of land of the giants but giants in technology

The idea of Voyager was very much a good one, however, as most people would agree, its execution was terrible. Yes we needed a break from all the Alpha Quadrant dealings and placing a single starship in the Delta Quadrant seemed good, but it just gave us by the number episodes where you could have had any Alien lifeform in the Antagonists role per episode and still be perfectly acceptable. The different crew members dynamic remained at most for One season, after that everyone got along. And to me Janeway is an absolutely terrible captain, she insists on maintaining the prime directive 50% of the time while the other 50% of the time she completly messes it up :SPOILERS: ------ I mean come on, the final episode she travels back in time to give Voyager brand new technology???-----------
She also talks so much about doing everything in her abilities to get the crew back home except for those 40 or 50 odd times she had the chance

Well Ive Had a Lovely Evening But This Wasnt It! - Groucho Marx

Post #: 53
RE: Star Trek XI - 21/1/2007 5:40:29 PM   
Private Hudson

Damon as Kirk?

It could work.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Kenny)
Post #: 54
RE: Star Trek XI - 21/1/2007 5:47:53 PM   
Kenny

I really dont see it, and I really hope they dont do it, they will just be taking a dump over Shatner's Kirk. What else can they do with the character? Weve seen him during his ups and his downs, we dont need any more Kirk, lets not piss on his grave and let him rest in peace

Well Ive Had a Lovely Evening But This Wasnt It! - Groucho Marx

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 55
RE: Star Trek XI - 21/1/2007 11:18:19 PM   
Rgirvan44

Shatner IS Kirk. this is why the film is going to fall on its face. Mock him as much as you want but on that show, and in the films Shatner was Kirk. As much as I like Damon I really cant see him being Kirk. The problem is any attempt to copy Shatners' way of acting could be seen as parody. The...pauses...alone would be difficult to capture.

Also - im not big on Star Trek so my knowledge is limited but was it ever explained on the tv show or films exactly how Kirk got the Enterprise from Pike? If not could we possibly see a film where Kirk leads a mutiny?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Kenny)
Post #: 56
RE: Star Trek XI - 21/1/2007 11:34:45 PM   
Timon

Kirk got command of the Enterprise after Pike. Pike later became paralysed and burned after an shuttle accident. Kirk got command of the flagship after some daring-do's I imagine which I think this film is meant to show. Probably saving the crew of the USS Faragut at some point.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 57
RE: Star Trek XI - 22/1/2007 6:14:31 PM   
Timon

Here is yet another recasting rumor for you to mull over, this time for Scotty.

The Scottish tabloid The Sunday Mail is reporting that Last King Of Scotland star James McAvoy is the leading candidate to play the iconic engineer in Star Trek XI. The paper cites a ’studio insider’ saying that "the producers are keen to have a Scot play Scotty." It is hard to judge the validity of this report, but it isn’t a good sign that the paper takes it as a given that Matt Damon has been signed on to play Kirk, quoting their source as saying "they (the producers) think he could form a brilliant double act with Matt (Damon)". For the record, Matt Damon has previously stated that he has yet to be approached by the studio. In addition, negotiations for any roles will not happen until after Trek XI gets an approved budget (with the possible exception of the leads and possibly Shatner and Nimoy).

True or not, Paramount could do a lot worse than the 27 year old actor who has been getting very high praise for his work in Last King of Scotland and is reported to be a big sci fi fan as well. However depending on the exact timeframe of the movie, McAvoy may be a bit young to play someone who is should be older than Kirk.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: Star Trek XI - 23/1/2007 10:33:14 PM   
impqueen

That might have some credence due to McAvoy being a big Original Trek fan....

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 59
RE: Star Trek XI - 1/2/2007 9:31:51 PM   
Underscore

Apparantly J.J Abrams is off Star Trek according to Latino Review...

So what's going on with "Star Trek XI?" Hollywood has been buzzing with rumors about the production of Star Trek Xi lately and our displaced Dominican has been hearing them all, but now, El Mayimbe's heard a rumor that needs to told.

El Mayimbe just gave me a ring and was speaking Spanglish so fast, I only caught the words, 'Star Trek Eleven', 'strong', 'rumor', 'meeting', 'JJ Abrams', 'out' and 'fuck'. I heard the last word a few times in both English and Spanish so I knew he was trying to make a point.

Seems like, and not long ago, in a meeting somewhere in Hollywood, JJ Abrams was kicked to the curb, or JJ kicked Paramount to the curb, he's not sure yet, but in the end, JJ Abrams is out of Star Trek XI!

El Mayimbe said he's on the case and he'll be checking back in as soon as he gets something more solid on who's to blame. If the rumor is indeed true, look for Paramount to release a statement, more than likely in tomorrows trades.

For now, take this as a strong rumor from the big E.M., but his track record is solid when it comes to casting and production news, so let's see how this pans out.

I'm not a Star Trek fan and I haven't particulary been following this movie bar from the odd bit of news. I'm genuinely surprised by this. Most of all I'm stumped why this might have happened... creative differences anyone?

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Trek XI Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI