Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 9/10/2006 12:38:10 PM   
Glorfindel

Laurel & Hardy were sublime, and the Stooges are great for a chuckle, but the Marx Bros were genius. They were such an influence...I can't you imagine the Airplane! would be quiet the same without them. Duck Soup is one of my favorite movies ever-sharp, witty, totally irreverent......way ahead of it's time. It's so much fun, just bursting with life. Even the musical bits, which are for once kept to a minimum, are funny. It was actually a flop on it's initial release. Monkey Business is also great, overall...I would say it's my second favorite Marx movie.

Mrs. Teasdale: Oh, Your Excellency! We've been expecting you. As chairwoman of the reception committee, I extend the good wishes of every man, woman, and child of Freedonia.
Firefly: Never mind that stuff, take a card.
Mrs. Teasdale: Card? What will I do with the card?
Firefly: You can keep it. I've got 51 left. Now what were you saying?
Mrs. Teasdale: As chairwoman of the reception committee, I welcome you with open arms.
Firefly: Is that so? How late do you stay open?
Mrs. Teasdale: I've sponsored your appointment because I feel you're the most able statesman in all of Freedonia.
Firefly: Well, that covers a lot of ground...Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself. You'd better beat it. I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must've been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.
Mrs. Teasdale: The future of Freedonia rests on you. Promise me you'll follow in the footsteps of my husband.
Firefly: How do you like that? I haven't been on the job five minutes, and already she's making advances to me...Not that I care, but where is your husband?
Mrs. Teasdale: Why...He's dead.
Firefly: I'll bet he's just using that as an excuse.
Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him till the very end.
Firefly: Hmm! No wonder he passed away.
Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms...And kissed him.
Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder! Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

Mrs. Teasdale: Your Excellency...The eyes of the world are upon you. Notables from every country are gathered here in your honor. This is a gla day for you.
Firefly: Well, a gal a day is enough for me...I don't think I could handle any more.

< Message edited by Glorfindel -- 9/10/2006 12:40:07 PM >

The Hobbit Film - The way it was meant to be or not at all.

(in reply to harleybess)
Post #: 31
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 13/10/2006 12:35:53 PM   
claytonmeister

laurel and hardy

"My father died when he was making love to a 20 year old. He came and went at the same time!" Richard Pryor

"You mean I'm black does dad know!?"
Post #: 32
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 13/10/2006 4:49:01 PM   
evil bill

Laurel&Hardy just side spliting brillant,true comedy masters,they still have me bent double with laughter,and my kids love them too.Second place go,es to theThree Stooges,again just so funny.Third place the Marx Brothers always fun to watch.By the way i'm glad no Abbot&Costela in this as i cann't stand them for even a minite

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to claytonmeister)
Post #: 33
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 19/10/2006 1:25:06 PM   
Mystery White Boy

Unfortunately, the extent of my Three Stooges viewing is a couple of shorts, which I saw rather some time ago, so for me, this is between L&H and the Marx Bros.

It's got to go to the Marx Bros. for me.  They were consistently hilarious, their gags were never repetitive and they were always freshly original.  L&H manages this through their tenure of shorts (though they occasionally repeated gags a few times), though their feature length career is split into two parts in the eyes of their fans.

Their early full length features arguably rivalled primetime Marx Bros. with the hilarious 'Pardon Us' and 'Pack Up Your Troubles', but when they moved studios in the early '40s, they often became used in poorly written and dissapointing features which were quickly written and given the L&H name to pump funds into a suddenly flailing Universal studios (I think it was Universal).

So it's got to be Marx Bros.  Though L&H at their peak could just about rival Marx Bros., their later efforts let them down frequently, and the Marx Bros. continued making high quality and classic entertainment into the '40s.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 34
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 17/1/2007 2:32:14 PM   
unhingedmoviepigeon

The Marx Brothers do it for me everytime! Witty, funny and some of the stunts were just ludicrous but amazing!

Take my love.
Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

(in reply to 10Things_aka_Giorgio)
Post #: 35
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 18/1/2007 4:39:07 PM   
Mor Del Ondel

I love them all but at a push : Groucho, Chico, Harpo and even Zeppo

Rufus Firefly: Emily could I have a lock of your hair...

Emily : Why Otis... I..

Rufus Firefly : Consider yourself lucky, I was going to ask for the whole wig!

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems? Come on, big fella, let's see what you got...

(in reply to unhingedmoviepigeon)
Post #: 36
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 4/6/2007 11:19:12 AM   
anakin solo

I love the marx brothers films specially the night at the opera the one where they are at the circus and the big store. The ones I laughed the most at was the big store where they are on rollar skates and are being chased through the store and at the circus where harpo is wearing this lion fur strongman outfit and he starts stroking the head on the outfit i was in stitches, but Groucho is my favorite brother because he has witty comebacks, a funny walk and a painted on mustache in some of the films.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to Mor Del Ondel)
Post #: 37
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 11/6/2007 4:59:22 PM   
Led Zeppelin

Laurel and Hardy by an Ocean. They made soooooooooo made great shorts and plenty of great features. I never could raise more than a smile with the Marx Brothers while Laurel and Hardy have me in stitches. I defy anybody to not howl with laugher when Stan is frightened of getting tickled in Way Out West.

Their best moment isn't even slapstick. Sons of The Desert is mainly witty dialogue.

I always thought the Marx Brothers strained and tried too hard to get laughs whereas for Laurel and Hardy it came naturally and with so much ease. L a H didn't even have to say or do anything to be funny and that's a great great talent. The Marx Brothers? Sorry but I don't even feel they had any charm.

As for the Three Stooges? Get out of here. Who??????

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 38
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 19/11/2007 11:00:32 PM   
Kadaj

Groucho, Harpo, Zeppo et al.

for inspiring the immortal line from The Last Crusade in Connery's Scottish brogue, 'I shhhould have mailed to the Marx brothers.'

(in reply to Led Zeppelin)
Post #: 39
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 11/12/2007 7:10:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I saw a couple of Marx Brothers films last week. It's been a while since I saw Animal Crackers and The Horse Feathers, and as wasn't hugely impressed I deliberately waited a while before I saw anymore.

First up was Horse Feathers. I'll come right out and say it; it was a chore to watch. Yes, it had its chucklesome moments, mainly due to the insults and putdowns from Groucho, but I really just wanted it to end. What gets me most is the fact that the onscreen characters of the brothers are deliberately trying to cause confusion and mischief, and the humour is meant to derive from that.  The characters are intentionally being funny but I find it actually makes them less funny, just annoying. There was undoubtedly some clever and witty writing, but it came out in such a way that I could only appreciate, not actually like. The highlights of the film were the musical performances by Harpo and Chico, on the harp and Piano respectively. Amazing to watch and great to listen to, if only the rest of the film was like that.

Two days later I watched Monkey Business and I entered it with caution, However, this was a far more enjoyable and humorous affair, with plenty of genuine laughs and comedy that seemed unforced – the chess game, the Punch and Judy show, the passport line and the impromptu band playing had me laughing out loud. The anarchy and confusion were still there, but it was much more natural and fluid and, once again the harp/piano playing was sublime. The climactic fight seemed exceptionally shoddy yet even so, of the four Marx films I've seen, this is the standout.

Both films also suffered from subplots that detracted from the main comedic story, plots which featured Thelma Todd, who seemed to have graduated from the Betty Boop School of acting.

So even with the disappointment of Horse Feathers, my opinion has improved on the whole, and I'm more than happy to rewatch a few and seek out some others, yet they still can't compete with Laurel & Hardy, especially not after I saw one of their very few shorts I had left to watch.

Thanks to Paul Merton's Silent Clowns, I saw Laurel and Hardy's You're Darn Tootin' for the first time. Stan and Ollie cause havoc while playing in a band, and as such get fired, and then kicked out of their boarding house. They take to the streets and start busking in an attempt to earn money and, in the usual fashion, things degenerate the picture ends in a giant street battle of shin kicking and trouser tearing. The plot might be slight, few could call it sophisticated, the film didn't advance cinema as an art form, but it did cause me to laugh louder and longer than practically all other films I've seen this year.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 11/12/2007 7:27:04 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 40
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 15/12/2007 6:53:05 PM   
sanchia

Having seen Horse Feathers earlier today and find it so poor I barely raised a smile during the whole filem I'll put my vote to Laurel and Hardy.  They have various scenes which are still very well known and funny such as in The Music Box where they are attempting to deliver the piano to the house at the top of a lot of stairs and various others, the theme tune also helps and puts a smile on my face whenever I hear it through the associataion.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to unhingedmoviepigeon)
Post #: 41
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 24/12/2007 8:51:26 PM   
siegfried

Laurel and Hardy by a country mile, if for no other reason than that scene outside the saloon in Way Out West where they dance together. Never fails to give me an attack of the warm fuzzies.
Love the Marx Brothers' earlier work, particularly Duck Soup.
The Three Stooges? You've GOT to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 42
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 26/12/2007 1:04:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

Laurel and Hardy by a country mile, if for no other reason than that scene outside the saloon in Way Out West where they dance together. Never fails to give me an attack of the warm fuzzies.

Agreed. That scene is quite possibly the one scene in the whole of film that makes me the happiest.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 43
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 20/4/2010 9:31:11 PM   
Lang

Laurel & Hardy by an epic mile! So many memories - The Lung Tester from Saps at Sea, The Music Box, Chimney Sweeping L&H style, Stans handmade pipe with time delay matches in Blockheads or the handmade lighter from Way Out West.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 44
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 21/4/2010 9:07:53 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Gotta be the Marx Brothers. Duck Soup is one of my favourite comedies of all time. I quite happily watch Horse Feathers, Monkey Business and A Night at the Opera, all fantastic cinema. If only they had ditched Zepo.
Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges (my least favourite) could all be painfully funny also.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 45
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 14/4/2013 7:09:22 AM   
steverayg

For me, it’s the Marx Brothers. They had a playfully intellectual quality about them. They demanded that their audience either keep up with them or be left in the dust. If you look at their best films (A Night at the Opera and Duck Soup-In my opinion) Groucho flashed rapier-like wordplay with Chico while Harpo brought his angelic features and devilish physical shenanigans into an almost perfect mix.

At the same time, however, I do love me some Stooges! They are great for a little mindless fun, and I’m one of the few people in the world who can sing “Swingin’ the Alphabet!” I also enjoy the unadulterated silliness of Abbott and Costello. I MUST watch Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein every Halloween.

The trio I feel does not get their due, the ones with a special place in my heart, has to be the Ritz Brothers. They got their start in shorts before moving onto full-length pictures and were the headliners of their day. They often sang, did impressions, and worked with some of the biggest names of their day. While not as complex or unique as the Marx Brothers, they were a blast, and you can see their best opposite Bela Lugosi in The Gorilla.

Steven Gomez is a pulp writer in the best (or worst) tradition.
Get your FREE copy of his Ebook "The Standing Eight" at The Noir Factory!

Post #: 46
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 23/4/2013 12:15:21 AM   
JohnChard

Stan & Ollie by a country mile for me!

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI