Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 15/10/2005 12:05:27 PM   
10Things_aka_Giorgio

I side with the Three Stooges.

Who do y'all prefer?
Post #: 1
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 5/1/2006 6:39:04 PM   
teamchico

Definately the Marx Brothers, but I do own everything the Stooges ever did too, and love them. I prefered Shemp to Curly though, anyday.

I have quite an obsession with the Marxes, expecially Chico and Harpo.

"He may look like an idiot, and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you, he really is an idiot." - Groucho

"He's a dem an' a duff." - Chico

(in reply to 10Things_aka_Giorgio)
Post #: 2
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 10/1/2006 7:15:04 PM   
wdruck

It has to be the Marx Bros for me, loved then when I was 5 and still love them now, A Night At The Opera is CLASSIC

Post #: 3
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 14/1/2006 4:43:08 AM   
hozay

I'll go with The Marx Bros.because I can still enjoy them now but to be honest,
when I was a grommet I just loved Abbott and Costello.Abbott and Costello Meet
Frankenstein / The Mummy / The Invisible Man / Jekyll and Hyde / Go To Mars /
In the Foreign Legion etc.All a bit silly and well dated now but Saturday Matinee
gold when I was 10.
8/10 jaffas for A&C.

BTW,the two most prominent front benchers in our (Aus) present government
are Tony Abbott and Peter Costello,mumbling,bumbling,stumbling fools without
the laughs unfortunately.

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 4
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 15/1/2006 11:35:24 AM   
rikkie

Can I vote for Harold Lloyd instead?  In fact, maybe a thread needs to be started about him...

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

Post #: 5
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 19/1/2006 3:34:08 PM   
Monkeyshaver

The Three Stooges get my vote, by that I mean the classic line up of Curly, Larry & Moe. Laurel & Hardy were great, especially when supported by James Finlayson but some of their stuff looks a bit slow now. The Marx Brothers were also good, but this was mainly due to Groucho. The Three Stooges were just so wonderfully violent that I loved them as a kid & still do now.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 6
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 24/5/2006 4:01:38 PM   
fellowmanuk

The Marx brothers are easily the funniest of the three

www.100films.net

A fantastic look at the classic films that are so often forgotten today!

Post #: 7
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 17/7/2006 10:06:47 AM   
Monkeyshaver

If you're a Laurel & Hardy fan then tune in to Radio 2 tomorrow night at 8:30 for a documentary about the duo narrated by Sir Norman Wisdom.

(in reply to fellowmanuk)
Post #: 8
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 17/7/2006 10:51:27 AM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scottfish

Laurel & Hardy all the way for me, and anyone who just thinks it's mindless slapstick obviously hasn't watched enough of them! For me, the double takes and slow burns are just as funny now as they ever have been.

I was watching Blockheads last night, and it is a perfect example of the duo's comedic talents.

The scene when Olly sees Stans picture in the paper, and manages to get about 4 double takes in before leaving had me in stitches  

I agree with everything you said. L & H for me. I'm a huge fan and have been since I was about 5 years old. My dad is also a huge fan and had me and my brother watching them from a very early age.

I get annoyed when people see their movies as just slapstick when there is so much more to it than that.

I have the 21 dvd boxset and yesterday I was watching Them Thar Hills, Tit for Tat, Scram and Night Owls.

"Kennedy will fix it "

Hardy's exasperated looks to camera will never be outdone. They're just awesome.

quote:

Laurel & Hardy were great, especially when supported by James Finlayson

James Finlayson was a god. He invented DOH! A lot of people think it was Homer simpson but no.......

< Message edited by Merly -- 17/7/2006 10:52:54 AM >

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

Post #: 9
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 18/7/2006 5:36:57 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merly

quote:

Laurel & Hardy all the way for me, and anyone who just thinks it's mindless slapstick obviously hasn't watched enough of them! For me, the double takes and slow burns are just as funny now as they ever have been.

I was watching Blockheads last night, and it is a perfect example of the duo's comedic talents.

The scene when Olly sees Stans picture in the paper, and manages to get about 4 double takes in before leaving had me in stitches  

I agree with everything you said. L & H for me. I'm a huge fan and have been since I was about 5 years old. My dad is also a huge fan and had me and my brother watching them from a very early age.

I get annoyed when people see their movies as just slapstick when there is so much more to it than that.

That's how I started to watch Laurel & Hardy films. I remember BBC 2 used to show them on Sunday afternoons, and my Dad and I always watched them. My sister also caught the L&H bug from an early age.

I just need to buy the DVD boxset. I have about 20 or so VHS tapes that were remastered and released in the 90's.

quote:

quote:

James Finlayson was a god. He invented DOH! A lot of people think it was Homer simpson but no.......

I love this guy

This clip is one of my favourites with Finlayson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktE0w8Y9Vo

"He gave it to you and you gave it to him and who gave it to what. Why, you're all nuts"

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 10
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 18/7/2006 10:43:01 AM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

That's how I started to watch Laurel & Hardy films. I remember BBC 2 used to show them on Sunday afternoons, and my Dad and I always watched them. My sister also caught the L&H bug from an early age.

I just need to buy the DVD boxset. I have about 20 or so VHS tapes that were remastered and released in the 90's.

quote:

quote:

I love this guy

"He gave it to you and you gave it to him and who gave it to what. Why, you're all nuts"

Awesome. I'm sat at work chuckling heartily.

The guy was a legend.

My dad got me the boxset for christmas. I have to say it's the best present I've ever had.

"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead."

Ollie: "That's the last time that I'm going to be in this end of the horse."
Stan: "Well I can't go in there."
Ollie: "Why ?"
Stan: "Well you look better in that end than I do."

Judge: "You're charged with vagrancy. Are you guilty or not guilty ?"
Ollie: "Not guilty Your Highness."
Judge: "On what grounds ?"
Stan: "We weren't on the grounds, we were sleeping on the park bench."

"Say listen. I just got a couple of tickets for tonight for the cement workers bazaar. Can you come along ? We might win a prize. They're giving away a steam shovel."

"You know, I may not be king of my castle, but I certainly wouldn't allow my wife to wear any pants."

• Stan tells Ollie who the boss is in the Laurel household.

Lola: "Tell me about my dear, dear Daddy; is it true that he's dead ?"
Stan: "Well, we hope he is, they buried him."

Ollie: "Every cloud has a silver lining."
Stan: "That's right. Any bird can build a nest but it isn't everyone that can lay an egg."

"Well I heard the ocean is infatuated with sharks."

Ollie: "Why did you get a veterinarean ?"
Stan: "Well I didn't think his religion would make any difference."

"Well, if you caught a fish ... then whoever you sold it to, they wouldn't have to pay for it ... then the profits would go to the fish ..."

I also love it in Busy Bodies when Ollie gets his hands stuck in the window and he asks Stan to help him out. So Stan starts looking at a large piece of paper on the table and Ollie says “what are you doing?” and Stan says “I’m trying to figure out how to get the window open” and Ollie says in his most exasperated voice “Why that’s a blue print of a Boulder Dam”.

So much great stuff. I could go on for days

< Message edited by Merly -- 18/7/2006 11:23:56 AM >

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 11
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 18/7/2006 7:12:06 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Brilliant. I love the "cement workers bazaar" line

Of all their feature films, Way Out West must be my favourite. One of my earliest memories is laughing myself stupid during the dance outisde the saloon. Even today, it still gets me going. The tickling scene is another cracker. It also contains onme of my favourite lines from Hardy "A lot of weather we've been having lately"

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 12
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 19/7/2006 12:42:26 PM   
Merly

quote:

Brilliant. I love the "cement workers bazaar" line

Of all their feature films, Way Out West must be my favourite. One of my earliest memories is laughing myself stupid during the dance outisde the saloon. Even today, it still gets me going. The tickling scene is another cracker. It also contains onme of my favourite lines from Hardy "A lot of weather we've been having lately"

After reading your message yesterday I had to watch Thicker than Water and was just cracking up at "she gave it to you and you gave it to him and he gave it to what, you're all nuts”.

Way out West is a corker. I like the bit where their in the bar and Stan puts the meat in his shoe and all the dogs start crowding around. Then when they're trying to break into the house with the donkey

Oliver: My reputation: It has been ruthlessly dragged through the mud and mire. Never let it be said that a Hardy's spotless reputation to be so maliciously tread upon.
Stanley: You're right, Ollie; he who filters your good name steals trash.

Oliver Hardy: [shows horn] What's the idea of bring this along?
Stanley Laurel: Oh, my professor said, if I don't practice I might lose my lip.
Oliver Hardy: Uh-huh, and if you do practice, you'll lose your neck.

Oliver: Why didn't you tell me it was you?
Stan: It was so dark, I didn't think you would hear me.

Stanley: [reading newspaper] Listen to this... wealthy young widow with large fortune seeks male companionship... object matrimony.
Oliver: It's probably some old crab with a face that would stop a clock!
Stanley: Well, I'd marry her.
Oliver: You would!
Stanley: No, listen... I'd take some of the money, and I'd have her face lifted. Then we could settle down, congenial, and we would have to scrape chins any more... wouldn't have to work hard any more.
Oliver: Tell me that again.
Stanley: Well, I could take some of the money... and I'd have her skinned... and she'd be able to look at a clock without having to work hard any more... and we could settle down and scrape each other's chin... and congenial... if I didn't have to work hard anymore.
Oliver: I know exactly what you mean.

< Message edited by Merly -- 19/7/2006 2:26:47 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 19/7/2006 12:49:59 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I love this guy

Brilliant! They played a clip of that on the Radio 2 doc last night, very good it twas to!

Post #: 14
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 20/7/2006 6:37:34 PM   
TUPAC AMARU

yeah i heard the L&H rado 2 show aswell and was very interesting especially hearing the rare stan radio interview about his relationship with ollie. Also i've just finished reading 'The comedy world of Stan Laurel' by John McCabe. It's a great book in my view and u can get it rather cheap on Play.com.

It has to be said Laurel and Hardy were geniuses and i never tire of watching their comedy.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 15
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 21/7/2006 10:58:44 AM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: TUPAC AMARU

yeah i heard the L&H rado 2 show aswell and was very interesting especially hearing the rare stan radio interview about his relationship with ollie. Also i've just finished reading 'The comedy world of Stan Laurel' by John McCabe. It's a great book in my view and u can get it rather cheap on Play.com.

It has to be said Laurel and Hardy were geniuses and i never tire of watching their comedy.

They were geniuses but did you know that it was Stan who actually wrote most of the material. Oliver was more interested in the acting side of things rather than the writing. Also Stan was actually English and was born in London. I have admired them for years because their sense of humour is exactly the same as mine. Forget the slapstick (although Oliver getting clonked over the head and falling down constantly is amusing) It’s the subtle little things that made them so brilliant. If I could go back in a time machine I’d go back so I could meet L & H. I adore them.

(in reply to TUPAC AMARU)
Post #: 16
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 21/7/2006 2:38:32 PM   
TUPAC AMARU

nice answer merly. Like u say the slapstick is brilliant but its the little things that Stan and Ollie do that makes me laugh. Ollie being all self important and Stans blank looks. What is so funny was that they were such bumbling, dumb child-like people who were so ignorant but were the two nicest men u could ever meet.Helpmates is a classic where Stan and Ollie are the best of friends laughing and joking and by the time its at the end Stan has ruined every suit Ollie owns, blown Ollie out the kitchen from a gas explosion burnt his house down, his wife has left him and also given him a black eye and Ollie still says he'll see Stan again in the morning!! Whatever Stan did to Ollie they still remained friends which i always felt was rather funny.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 17
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 21/7/2006 2:41:08 PM   
TUPAC AMARU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBatJR-DSh8

I found this link too which is hilarious!

Post #: 18
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 27/7/2006 2:06:42 PM   
Bogey

Well as a member of the Sons of the Desert [Laurel and Hardy Appreciation Society] I would have a slightly biased view! I've watched the Marx Brothers films but to me they come nowhere near Laurel and Hardy. L&H were 2 wonderfuly gifted actors and comedians. They gelled together in a way [in my opinion] that no other comedy act has come close to. Then again as I said I am a massive fan of them so I would be biased!

Post #: 19
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 27/7/2006 3:59:10 PM   
Merly

quote:

Well as a member of the Sons of the Desert [Laurel and Hardy Appreciation Society]

I've always wanted to join that. Is it worth it?

I watched The Chimp last night and I haven't laughed so much in ages.

"Ethel will you stop messing around and come to bed"

Oliver shouting at the huge tutu clad gorilla that is dragging stan around the room

(in reply to Bogey)
Post #: 20
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 28/7/2006 10:06:52 AM   
Bogey

quote:

quote:

Well as a member of the Sons of the Desert [Laurel and Hardy Appreciation Society]

Without doubt it's worth joining. Most Tents [Branches of SOTD] hold regular meetings and show L&H films on a big screen. It's good to be sitting in a room with like minded individuals watching 70 year old films -trust me

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 21
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 28/7/2006 11:29:09 AM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bogey

quote:

quote:

Without doubt it's worth joining. Most Tents [Branches of SOTD] hold regular meetings and show L&H films on a big screen. It's good to be sitting in a room with like minded individuals watching 70 year old films -trust me

Excellent. Thanks dude. Might see you there

(in reply to Bogey)
Post #: 22
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 5/9/2006 3:34:43 PM   
RuffKut

I'm usually a staunch Marx Brothers supporter, but last week I caught 'Them Thar Hills' on a bizarre little freeview channel and had never found Laurel and Hardy as funny before. I was crying with laughter as they got increasingly drunk on the local 'water' and then ended up tarring and feathering an angry motorist whos wife they had just got drunk.

So, currently, my vote goes to Laurel and Hardy...

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 23
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 5/9/2006 6:57:39 PM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: RuffKut

I'm usually a staunch Marx Brothers supporter, but last week I caught 'Them Thar Hills' on a bizarre little freeview channel and had never found Laurel and Hardy as funny before. I was crying with laughter as they got increasingly drunk on the local 'water' and then ended up tarring and feathering an angry motorist whos wife they had just got drunk.

I'm happy you feel that way dude

If you liked Them Thar Hills check out Tit for Tat. They meet up with the same couple again when they own stores next door to eachother. Not as good as Them Thar Hills but more of the same horsing around

(in reply to RuffKut)
Post #: 24
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 8/9/2006 6:23:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

If you liked Them Thar Hills check out Tit for Tat. They meet up with the same couple again when they own stores next door to eachother. Not as good as Them Thar Hills but more of the same horsing around

2 of my all-time favourites. The drunk scene in Them Thar Hills was number 1 a while back in Empire's Top 10 Drunk Scenes, and quite rightly. Pom pom  

Much more better!

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 25
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 8/9/2006 1:35:00 PM   
Merly

quote:

quote:

quote:

2 of my all-time favourites. The drunk scene in Them Thar Hills was number 1 a while back in Empire's Top 10 Drunk Scenes, and quite rightly. Pom pom  

Yeah quite right too.

Tra la la, la la la, la, la lala...Pom Pom

Post #: 26
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 9/9/2006 1:12:43 AM   
mfj fratelli

Marx Brothers all the way!

Otis B. Driftwood: Don't you know what duplicates are?
Fiorello: Sure, those five kids up in Canada.

EDIT: Failed to mention my admiration for another comedic genius. WC Fields. Check him out!

< Message edited by mfj fratelli -- 9/9/2006 1:17:04 AM >

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 27
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 11/9/2006 9:15:58 PM   
Cuchulainn

Marx Bros.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 28
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 22/9/2006 8:10:59 PM   
TUPAC AMARU

I dont find Marx brothers funny in the slightest. Saw few films when film4 started and they didnt raise even a smile unfortunately

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 29
RE: Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? - 27/9/2006 9:15:19 PM   
harleybess

Laurel & Hardy

I always thought of The Three Stooges as pale imitations. I love the Marx brothers (Groucho was brilliant) but Laurel and Hardy were brilliant. I love their early stuff but it was all funny.

should have picked the photograph it lasted longer than you

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI