Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Dead Zone - 28/4/2006 6:03:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: The Dead Zone - 29/4/2006 8:22:25 AM   
kasm

Absolutely loved this movie, played pitch perfect by Walken and improved on King's story(imo) -a rarity for any film.

I do pointless -good

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Dead Zone - 29/4/2006 8:38:42 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

There seems to be two David Cronenbergs making movies, these days, Cronenberg the auteur(Videodrome, Dead Ringers, Crash, eXistenZ), and the Cronenberg who deals in more mainstream, but still grisly efforts(The Fly, A History of Violence). This adaptation of Stephen King's bestseller The Dead Zone, definitely falls into the latter. The story(adapted here by The Lost Boys and Lethal Weapon 2 scribe Jeffrey Boam)concerns a schoolteacher implausably named John Smith(Christopher Walken), returning home after a date with fellow teacher Sarah(Brooke Adams), gets into a major fender-bender with an overturned semi-trailer. He wakes from his coma a few years later to find his girlfriend has married another man, and he now, through the power of touch, can see a person's future, or the past. He is befriended by psychiatrist Sam Weizak(the excellent Herbert Lom), and is enlisted for his help by local sheriff Bannerman(Tom Skerritt)to find a rampant serial killer. Also in the story is an aspiring, corrupt politician (Martin Sheen) who becomes Johnny's obsession after glimpsing a future with Sheen as President. This is Cronenberg at his most restrained. The human relatonships are handled with great subtlety an pathos, and the violence is tastefully reigned in without the sacrifice of suspense. Walken, too, is not as "eccentric" as his later performances, which does the film a great favour in letting us in on Johnny's private pain. A solid thriller from an unlikely source, and quite poignant, in it's own way.

This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face.

Post #: 3
Dead Zone - 3/7/2006 8:18:10 PM   
OMGWTFBBQ

I didnt know what to expect from this Cronenberg film. It started off standarly enough guy in car crash etc but from there on i loved it. I felt Walken's performance made a huge part of the film actually work, also the fim had a great plot with lots of cronenberg weirdness in it. Not Cronenbergs best but still a great film.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Dead Zone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI