Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Thomas Kretschmann

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Thomas Kretschmann Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thomas Kretschmann - 27/4/2006 8:12:32 PM   
livila

I'm going to start a Thomas Kretschmann thread because he's my newest obsession. I did a bit of searching here I know a couple of people like him.
I don't think this thread will ever reach Jake or Gerard proportions, but I can handle that.
I'm currently seeking out his back catalogue of movies. Last week, I even watched the whole of 24 season 2 just for a glimpse.

The last big obsession I had (still have) was Viggo Mortensen.

I only went to see King Kong in the cinema's in March, somehow, life kind of got in the way of movie watching.
I came out of the cinema with only one thought - who was the Captain?

He's got another movie that just came out - in two cinemas across the USA. He's currently filming In Transit with John Malkovich, a film about German soldiers been taken to POW camps in Siberia. His new German film Rohtenburg is currently banned in Germany.

< Message edited by livila -- 5/6/2006 12:44:46 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 27/4/2006 8:16:30 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

He was in 24? I don't remember that. I do remember him being very good in The Pianist and King Kong, even though his character ended up being forgotten about.

Dodgy facial hair alert for this picture.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 2
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 27/4/2006 8:26:21 PM   
livila

Yup I have that particular bad made for tv movie winging it's way to me.

It was this movie that sealed it for me.
La Reine Margot, he's hardly in it - but whew!
I can't believe someone actually answered me

< Message edited by livila -- 27/4/2006 8:27:37 PM >

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 27/4/2006 8:35:05 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: livila

Yup I have that particular bad made for tv movie winging it's way to me.

I've had Frankenstein on my Lovefilm lost for a while now. It has yet to be sent but it looks like the kind of gubbins I'd love.

I've never seen La Reine Margot, but I'll be on the lookout for it.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 4
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 27/4/2006 8:38:21 PM   
elab49

Apart from Pianist, his other very credible appearance has to be Downfall - as Braun's brother in law. The rather dissolute one who has no time for the 'let's all die in the bunker' schtick

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 5
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 27/4/2006 8:40:33 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Apart from Pianist, his other very credible appearance has to be Downfall - as Braun's brother in law. The rather dissolute one who has no time for the 'let's all die in the bunker' schtick

I completely forgot that he was in that

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 27/4/2006 8:41:46 PM   
livila

I've also got Stalingrad, which is a good film. It has surprisingly less action that I thought would be in it. You follow the main characters as they touch most aspects of the doomed invasion of Russia.
He spends alot of time crapping himself or looking very cold.

< Message edited by livila -- 27/4/2006 8:51:28 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 27/4/2006 8:47:36 PM   
livila

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Downfall was one of my favourite movies of last year.
But, I did not notice him in it or the Pianist when I saw it 2 years ago.
I was watching Juliane Köhler who played Eva Braun, I loved her from another great German film Aimee & Jaguar.
He's good in both.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 28/4/2006 5:14:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Stalingrad. Another one I haven't seen. I'll be on the lookout for it. I thought he was pretty good in U-571. I enjoyed that film, even with all it's historical inaccuracy.

Looking at IMDB it says he was in Blade II as well, but I can't remember him in that.

Much more better!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 9
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 28/4/2006 5:54:07 AM   
livila

I've only watched about 20 minutes of Blade 2. A year or so ago.
He's covered in make-up in that one. He's the main vampire dude.

He's in another low budget WW2 submarine drama that I got a hold of a couple of week ago.
I was surprised, it wasn't bad at all. It's called In Enemy hands, the story and script was better. Although some of the acting was suspect (as it was in U-571). If that and U-571 had combined there would have been a better film.
It's got that other German guy in it, Til Schweiger.

Post #: 10
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 28/4/2006 6:03:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I've only watched about 20 minutes of Blade 2. A year or so ago.
He's covered in make-up in that one. He's the main vampire dude.

That was him? Perhaps if the film had been better I'd have taken more notice

I've never actually heard of In Enemy Hands, but I do like WW2 and/or submarine films. It also seesm to star William H Macy, and that can never be a bad thing.

Much more better!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 11
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 28/4/2006 6:14:01 AM   
livila

It's never seen a UK release. I think it went to few cinema's in USA then shoved out on dvd.

In fact he has quite a few films that haven't got very far. I quite fancy the heist one Die Dieben or the Medieval Italian one I cavalieri che fechero L'impresa ( Knights of the Quest) neither are available. Nor is his indy film with Charlton Heston, My Father: Rua Alguem 5555.

Post #: 12
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 28/4/2006 6:33:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It's very annoying when you come across a film that looks decent but there is no easy way to get hold of a copy. You'd like to think that now that he is a more familar face after Kong, some older films of his would be released. Dreams can come true. Sometimes

Much more better!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 13
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 28/4/2006 6:42:55 AM   
livila

Indeed! There are quite a few films not available I would love to get released on dvd.

I weakened and ordered a couple of the German films only available in Germany, that'll be an interesting one.
Oh boy, i'm a sad git.
But hey, i'll post some pictures!

Post #: 14
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 30/4/2006 1:28:22 PM   
Hotlips

I will happily admit to having a rather large crush on him. I even have a forum account on one of his websites  Although it seems to be down at the mo.

Honey Badger don't care, Honey Badger don't give a shit

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 15
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 30/4/2006 2:04:06 PM   
Lorelai

Hey ladies, nice to see he's got some fans outside Germany

I think Rohtenburg is going to be a great movie..as far as I know there are still some quarrels, because the real Cannibal thinks his personal rights are touched by the film...but I don't think he's going to win..it will be quite disturbing though.
Don't know if you heard about the story. This guy was searching for someone who wants to be eaten and then this other guy showed up, he slaughtered him and filmed it all. Before they even ate this guys genitalia together..

Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 16
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 30/4/2006 5:30:44 PM   
Hotlips

Yeah! I remember reading about  this in the paper.... You're right though, it should make a good film.

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to Lorelai)
Post #: 17
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 30/4/2006 5:45:41 PM   
livila

I'm not too looking forward to Rohtenburg, I'm not a big horror fan.

However, I like the look of In Transit with John Malkovich, about German soldiers accidentally being sent to a prison camp in Russian that is for women guarded by women. Set just after the end of Second world war.

I can only find very tiny pictures, but you get the idea.

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 18
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 30/4/2006 7:39:58 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Rohtenburg doesn't tell the most pleasant story, but I think it could be a good film. In Transit looks decent as well.

Much more better!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 19
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 1/5/2006 9:05:53 PM   
Hotlips

Just re-watched King Kong. *sighs at the sight of captain sexy....so brave*

Post #: 20
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 1/5/2006 9:19:58 PM   
Sikurina

Gimli The Dwarf your av is bit scary....

[insert something funny here] [laugh]

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 21
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 2/5/2006 5:07:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sikurina

Gimli The Dwarf your av is bit scary....

I've never really though iof it like that, but now that I think about it, I haven't really used the most appealing shots of those involved

I've just been having a look to see which of his films are available on Lovefilm. I've already had Frankenstein on there for a while but they also have Stalingrad, La Reine Margot and The Stendhal Syndrome, so with luck I'll be watching them all soon.

I've also added Resident Evil : Apocalypse. I can't help it if I liked the first one  

Has anyone seem Head In The Clouds, with Charlize Theron and Stuart Townsend. I quite liked the film, although it was slow-going at times, and it was hard to feel for the characters. It's worth a watch though.

Much more better!

(in reply to Sikurina)
Post #: 22
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 2/5/2006 6:27:43 AM   
livila

Yes I've seen Head in the Clouds. God it was awful, real life partners just shouldn't be in movies together.
I didn't feel for the three main characters at all.

I've watched Die Ratte. It was pretty good actually, now all I need is some subtitles.
This is a pretty grim film set amongst the dives and sex trade in a German city. Thomas plays a male protitute who robs one of his tricks. Then goes on a binge with younger brother who idolises him to collect some more cash for a cool car. Thomas's character is basically a total arsehole.

It reminded me of a few sordid, gritty British films made in the 80's and early 90's. I'm thinking Mona Lisa, Made in Britain & Trainspotting.

I'm firmilar with the type of charcter that many actors cut their teeth on.
I was reminded of Tim Roth (Made in Britain) & Russell Crowe (Romper Stomper) in their similar ugly young man characters.

Post #: 23
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 4/5/2006 8:10:52 PM   
Death_Cult

quote:

I love La Reign Margot too but for a different reason. I'm a big Vincent Perez fan. For that  reason I have also seen Frankenstein. It is pretty terrible but I *heart* Vincent so I've sat through a lot of crap for him.

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 24
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 4/5/2006 8:19:41 PM   
livila

I have Frankenstien waiting to watch

I was surprised at how Perez didn't quite make it in Hollywood. Maybe he didn't want to go there.
The few US films he has done are not the best - perhaps his French films are better.
He was in two major French movies as the romantic lead. La Reine Margot and Cyrano de Bergerac.

I love to go through as much of their back catalogue as possible.
You never know when you may come across a hidden gem.

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 25
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 4/5/2006 8:24:17 PM   
Death_Cult

Vincent's been in some dodgy French stuff too.  
My fave of his is probably La Reign Margot followed by Cyrano De Bergerac and Amy Foster.

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 26
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 4/5/2006 8:31:39 PM   
livila

Has Vincent been in movies that haven't seen the light of day?

My research for Thomas movies has come across so many that don't even get the straight to dvd treatment.
It's been revealing just how much European funded movies get shelved. Sure most are probably crap, but there must be ones amongst them that are good. Sheesh, it's not like US had a perfect track record - some of the garbage that gets the full marketing treatment, is just , well awful.

< Message edited by livila -- 4/5/2006 8:33:37 PM >

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 27
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 4/5/2006 9:10:04 PM   
Death_Cult

quote:

Has Vincent been in movies that haven't seen the light of day?

Yes, quite a few. There are a few on Amazon france etc but they don't have English subtitles and as my French is very poor there wouldn't be much point in purchasing them. I just enjoy the stuff I do own. :)

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 28
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 9/5/2006 7:50:47 AM   
livila

Looks like another war drama for Thomas - I'm not complaining at all. Both this and In Transit sound good.
I've also read about this story before - can't remember where.

From Dark Horizons...

Mike Figgis Does A Nazi's "Wife"

Mike Figgis has set his next feature to be Holocaust memoir "The Nazi Officer's Wife" and set new Bond girl Eva Green as the title character Edith Hahn Beer reports Production Weekly.

An outspoken young woman studying law in Vienna when the Gestapo forced Eith and her mother into a Jewish ghetto. Edith was taken away to a labour camp, and when she returned home months later, she found out her mother had been deported. Knowing she would become a hunted woman, Edith went underground.

Using a friend's identity papers, she fled to Munich where she met a Nazi Party member who fell in love with her. Despite her protests and even her eventual confession that she was Jewish, he married her and kept her identity a secret.

Alexandera Maria Lara and Thomas Kretschmann co-star in the film which begins shooting in Budapest this year.

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 29
RE: Thomas Kretschamnn - 9/5/2006 8:18:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Do casting directors automatically think of him as soon as they need a Nazi? He seems to play an awful lot of them. I wonder if he might become typecast, at least to western audiences.   

Much more better!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Thomas Kretschmann Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI