Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 26/4/2006 11:36:36 AM   
Chief Wiggum

Having just seen the vitriol that is coming out of the Big Brother 7 thread towards those that don't like it (an internet vesion of the "2 minute hate" if you will) I thought I might as well start a thread where everybody is entitled to their views can post.

God I hate this show, yet another year has come and the dawning of another ten weeks of overblown nonsense has come. At first the idea of Big Brother was ineresting, a sociological experiment done large for TV, but now I feel we will be subjected to the same old popularity contest shite that is won by the least interesting of all the lab rats. we'll get a nice cross-section of society with at least one "thicky" for the tabloid media to lampoon, one lesbian to go (come) out in the first week and a couple of fit girls that just happen to claim that they are bi-sexual.

It would be nice if they changed the format slightly, fucked with their heads with some fake news stories perhaps, had some in charge and some as drones and switching the roles without warning (like the Experiment) gave them something to do but no, all we will get is a couple of twists and turns, that lead us back to the same old dross.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!
Post #: 1
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 26/4/2006 11:40:56 AM   
Samuelpoet

Series 4 was shit and I didn't see much of the last one...

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 2
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 26/4/2006 6:44:16 PM   
TobiasFunke

What amazes me about this show is that the publicity machine makes it out to be vastly different to the year before with lots of twists and what have you...but it never is! Mostly its people sitting around doing nothing, just waiting to get out of the house and concocting their 'exclusive' story for the tabloids. And what a selection they usually are. Ridiculous names, huge egos for no apparent reason, a collective IQ of 3 (well, after the token intellectual housemate aka the 'baddie' is voted out). And the nation will always take to its heart a buffoon, somebody the other kids at school laughed at and who was given plastic scissors in case they hurt themselves. Yet probably did anyway. And then its "goodbye Big Brother" and "Hello! magazine"!  The sooner this tired format is put to rest, the better for television and everybody in Britain who doesnt aspire to become famous for doing nothing.

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 3
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 26/4/2006 6:53:11 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Tisk tisk. I barely care or know of the show anymore.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 4
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 26/4/2006 7:23:41 PM   
Twizzle

I'll admit that I got a wee bit hooked on the last sleb BB but I've never watched a regular series apart from 5 minutes here and there. 

And I don't suppose that'll change.  It's pretty depressing stuff, imo.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 5
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 26/4/2006 7:54:38 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

I'll admit that I got a wee bit hooked on the last sleb BB but I've never watched a regular series apart from 5 minutes here and there. 

And I don't suppose that'll change.  It's pretty depressing stuff, imo.

The only celebrity one I bothered with was the one that had Jack Dee in it and I can't even remember who else went into the house that time now.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 6
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 26/4/2006 10:39:19 PM   
Da Big Cheese

I appreciate the reasons that people in the Big Brother thread gave for not wanting people to post about how shit it is; granted, if I was a fan of something and someone kept telling me it sucked, that'd annoy me too.

But what they're forgetting is, while it's on, everyone who hates it can't escape it. They plug it to death, it completely takes over channel 4 and more4 scheduling, what with "Big Brother's little brother" and all that shite. So maybe it's an eye for an eye?

Trust No One

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 7
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 27/4/2006 9:42:01 AM   
Twizzle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Da Big Cheese

But what they're forgetting is, while it's on, everyone who hates it can't escape it. They plug it to death, it completely takes over channel 4 and more4 scheduling, what with "Big Brother's little brother" and all that shite. So maybe it's an eye for an eye?

A bit like the World Cup, eh?

It's a summer viewing nightmare!  Thank gawd for DVDs.

(in reply to Da Big Cheese)
Post #: 8
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 27/4/2006 5:09:10 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

quote:

But at least the World cup is decided on talent, rather than popularity.

more to the point, it's summer, there's gonna be sun, frisbee, music etc. and after 10 weeks of big brother the fans will emerge pasty and atrophied to find those of us with lives actually having done something.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 9
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 27/4/2006 5:23:49 PM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

quote:

but...

My mum and step-dad hate football, and so the world cup in 2002 was a bit of a nightmare, as like you say, they couldn't escape it. So they decided to go camping, not sure where, but the plan was that they'd be able to spend a nice night without hearing or seeing anything football related.

They were camping by a river. Sometime into the evening, well after they'd pitched their tent and got the use-once barbecue going, a boat sails passed and stops (what's the term for "parking" a boat anyways?). The boat stayed there all night, with the radio on full blast reporting what was happening in the current match

Still, they have it all to look forward to in a couple of months

Trust No One

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 10
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 2:34:39 PM   
Orbital

big brother is so fucking shit

(in reply to Da Big Cheese)
Post #: 11
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 2:37:31 PM   
Mozza

Just to bring a small amount of BB news in here, seeing as three people have left the house under extraordinary circumstances in a mere 11 days, there is a good chance none of the original 14 will see it through to the end.

Is this a sign that Big Brother is on the out, when the housemates can't hack it anymore? Discuss.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 12
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 3:52:15 PM   
Goodfella

This series housemates are all really nasty peices of work and the last people I want too see turned into celebrities because they applied to go on a TV show.

I hope they all rot in the back pages of the Daily Sport once it's all over, which by the way can't come soon enough.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 13
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 4:41:17 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Be careful, there was an anti-BB thread that got locked because we are not allowed to slag off the plebs that gorge themselves on this televisual equivalent of fast food. Although they can slag us off it would seem.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 14
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 4:44:15 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

Be careful, there was an anti-BB thread that got locked because we are not allowed to slag off the plebs that gorge themselves on this televisual equivalent of fast food. Although they can slag us off it would seem.

Where did you get that idea? The thread was locked because of abuse from both sides.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 15
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 6:56:55 PM   
JIm R

Safe to say whatever thread you choose to post in, for or against the Big Brother experience is a crying shame of god awful manipulative, demonstrative, exploitive, chav endorsed television that channel 4 should be ashamed of themselves for broadcasting.

Choosing people who they know will fall apart and have mental health issues is appalling and the director of the organisation should be strung up for believing that he is making socially conscious television.

A word to the wise sir, with the choice of Pete, in your words and ideals you are hoping to bring tourettes to the massses to understand the issue.

Er no.. You are cleverly editing an individual to swear on national television with out any social recourse.

The programme is a waste of money, time and makes 12-13 people every year a central focus for tabloids to rip their lives apart for the benefir of sales without remorse.

I hate this programme with a passion and cannot abide the format or false sincerity based around that chav hound Davina McCall's interview technique (so pleased her chat show fell as quick as a stone).  I find it unbearable to think that these coke snorting wankers in the production office believeve that they are making ground breaking television.  No your not, your talentless bints.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 16
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 9:22:54 PM   
TobiasFunke

I watched the early series and I'd be a liar if I said I didn't tune in occassionally to this one, but I've found it to be the Best Of Big Brother: transsexual, vapid blonde, outrageous gay man, horny short bloke, dull himbo etc. It ceased being interesting a long time ago and the only encouraging thing about it this year is that we're less than a fortnight into the series and four contestants are already gone! Oh lets hope the trend continues...

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 17
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 9:28:26 PM   
Peppermint

Is it really only on for 10 weeks? it seems like it's much longer than that.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 18
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 9:29:40 PM   
NadaPlissken

JIm R, "Chav endorsed" is such a perfect way of describing Big Brother.  There's no justice done to the concept at all anymore; it seems like all they're trying to do is get them to shag each other, which, judging by some of the slags I see on it shouldn't be too hard.

Celeb or regular, my experience tells me Big Brother is only worth watching if Pete Burns is in it.  

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 19
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 10:14:22 PM   
Da Big Cheese

Fuck knows which thread I said this in, but I'm gonna say it again anyways

What Channel 4 have done with Big Brother is created a celeb factory - fuel for the C List celeb mags to burn through when they run out of "Brad and Angelina blah blah blah." It is utter trash and they know it, and what they've done is quite clever in a no-shame kinda way, turning no-self-respect wannabies into a million pound cash camel.

The major problem I have with the show is the blatent dis-regard for any kind of moral fibre. "More double beds to encourage romps" is a quote I read from a newspaper. And exploiting people with tourettes, and other psychological issues is an all time low for British TV.

Michael Barrymore in the celeb Big Brother. We all knew that the guy was going to crack, so did the producers, and that's why they used him. To me, that's the same as the nation tuning in to laugh at a man in a wheelchair, or to vote "which sufferer of epilepsy will have the first fit." It's shameless and disgraceful telly, and I hope that this is the worst it gets. I'm seriously concerned for the nature of our society if this is the event that has the nation glued to their TV sets.

Trust No One

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 20
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 10:44:41 PM   
James2183

quote:

Discussion as to why you don't like Big Brother is perfectly acceptible to discuss on this forum, but to attack other posters by calling them names such as 'pleps' is not allowed as it breaks the forums rules. If it carries on, this thread will suffer the same fate as the other one.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 21
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 31/5/2006 10:57:47 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

quote:

Discussion as to why you don't like Big Brother is perfectly acceptible to discuss on this forum, but to attack other posters by calling them names such as 'pleps' is not allowed as it breaks the forums rules. If it carries on, this thread will suffer the same fate as the other one.

Indeed, a swift cyber kick to the goolies will follow for any perpetrators that carry on with such silly business. Do the viewers of such a programme really deserve such vitriol for liking a programme that may or may not have fallen from satan's arse crack? No, I thought not... leave them to there business and I'm sure they'll leave you to yours. So lets carry on with the idiosyncrasies of said programme...

... isn't Pete great?

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 31/5/2006 11:16:33 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 22
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 3:23:21 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

quote:

Wiggum says this sort of thing has been going in in the BB thread towards those that don't like it. Will that one suffer the same fate as the other one?
If this forum rule was really adhered to then the mods would spend all day locking threads!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 23
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 3:30:55 PM   
Mozza

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wiggum says this sort of thing has been going in in the BB thread towards those that don't like it. Will that one suffer the same fate as the other one?
If this forum rule was really adhered to then the mods would spend all day locking threads!

As a matter of fact, we've been suffering more abuse in our thread than any of us ever gave out.

Post #: 24
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 3:32:32 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've read back the last three or four pages of the Big Brother thread, which was a chore, and the only provocative comment came from Muckymuckman calling all those that watched the programme mental head-cases - the remainder is banter regarding the actual show, which is the point of that thread. I'm not checking the whole thread as I've got better things to do with my time - if Wiggum can highlight any instances of the behaviour he refers to in hs opening address then it will be looked into. I don't know how many time it's been said, but if you're not happy with anything report it to one of the Mods as we don't happen to see or read every single post on the Forum and then we can deal with it appropriately. 

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 25
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 3:44:26 PM   
Chief Wiggum

yep I said that in my first post, which was pretty much back when the first BB thread started, and us that didn't like BB were asked to "fuck off and start your own thread" or something to that effect, because we felt like telling it how it is, and people on the BB thread got a bit shirty.

quote:

original castor troy

Can I just quickly say that those of you who don't like BB - just fuck off now. Don't bother coming into a BB thread just to say how shit it is. You're shit.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 26
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 3:56:45 PM   
Clark Kent

I see your point, being told to fuck off is way out of line, but still is there any need to keep saying the same point over and over, if you don't like it fine, be please give a bit of respect to those of us who do,  its not a case of " telling it how it is" you don't like it, fine we do. We aren't all stupid for liking to as has been suggested, and I dont wish to contiually explain why I like it, and I dont want to have to hear all the time that you don't like it. If it bothers that much just ignore it and tlak about something else. Why cant we just all get along!

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 27
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 4:18:23 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clark Kent

Why cant we just all get along!

Because people like Wiggum and Monkeyshaver are saying (implicitly or explicitly) that they are better than us just because we like a certain TV Show.

< Message edited by Mozza -- 1/6/2006 4:22:06 PM >

(in reply to Clark Kent)
Post #: 28
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 4:18:27 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

quote:

What thread was that? the main BB7 thread?
I haven't seen any nasty comments... or have the Mods edited/deleted the offensive remarks?

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 29
RE: Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread - 1/6/2006 4:35:14 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clark Kent

Why cant we just all get along!

Because people like Wiggum and Monkeyshaver are saying (implicitly or explicitly) that they are better than us just because we like a certain TV Show.

As far as Iím concerned yes, I do think that. Or rather I know that.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Big Brother 7 - Free speech Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI