Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Many ways to go

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Many ways to go Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Many ways to go - 28/4/2006 6:07:08 AM   
Organian

1. If the script continues the ST universe, it should focus on the future and stay away from Kirk, who died in "Generations". Films 1-10 all moved into the future, you can't just throw it into reverse. DS9 ended and it wasn't clear if the Dominion war still on. The Dominion had been evicted from Cardassia, and the Founders were infected, but Odo was going to help them get over that. The Vorta, the Jemm Hadar and the Breen were still viable forces. Voyager had returned from the Delta Quadrant, and defeated one Borg fleet. I'm sure there were others. I would like to see the Dominion mount an offensive against Earth. Only to have Seven and Janeway defweat them by leading them into an encounter with the Borg. The Borg don't kill, they assimilate. The Borg can't assimilate the Founders, but they can grab the Jemm Hadar; in fact, they would be kept busy forever, as the Dominion sends unlimited JemmHadar against the Borg, who can't handle the vast numbers of new drones. That sets up Star Trek XII.

Another factor was the Romulans. With the Dominion no longer dominating the Gamma Quadrant (they're too sick) the Romulans launch into it to fill the vacuum and take over. That, we find, was why they joined in the alliance. Starfleet has to stake its claim. That sets up another series, in the Gamma Quadrant, bringing back many of the races that appeared on DS9. Add a wormhole to the Delta Quadrant - furnished by the Sisko - and there's a basis for another series.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: NON-STARFLEET - 28/4/2006 6:23:49 AM   
Organian

A trek movie that isn't Starfleet based and has all new characters.... wouldn't be a Trek movie, would it? It would just be another sci-fi movie using the same level of technology. You might as well make it another Babylon-5.

(in reply to tsalagi_man)
Post #: 32
RE: Move it on, don't look back - 28/4/2006 6:37:52 AM   
Organian

I think the only way to destroy the Federation would be from within, and it wouldn't be destroyed, it would be radically changed. The superpowers of the Federation were always only Earth and Vulcan, apparently. The Klingons would have to demand a seat on the governing council. That would mean the Romulans would insist on being there, too. The Federation would never be the same, especially if the Ferengi could buy their way in.

(in reply to exfileme)
Post #: 33
Startrek Movie!!! - 28/4/2006 9:18:39 AM   
tvfreakazoid

From what I read that the next startrek series is suppose to be further in the future, some where like the 28th or 29th century. They should base this movie in that timeline and they should start the movie and the movie would turn into the show. Similar with BSG. They had the mini-series and turned it into a show. But with startrek just go from the big screen to the TV show. That would be nice. But I also read the guy that runs viacom doesn't really care for Startrek. I think its Les moonves. I really don't care for him at all. I hope he steps down soon and get a better CEO that knows what he's doing. So whatever the out come is, I hope we have a new movie and a new series sometime within a couple of years. I miss Startrek already. And for the next startrek show, it should be more darker than the previous ones. Something like BSG but of course it will be startrek.

Post #: 34
Startrek Movie!!! - 28/4/2006 9:18:48 AM   
tvfreakazoid

From what I read that the next startrek series is suppose to be further in the future, some where like the 28th or 29th century. They should base this movie in that timeline and they should start the movie and the movie would turn into the show. Similar with BSG. They had the mini-series and turned it into a show. But with startrek just go from the big screen to the TV show. That would be nice. But I also read the guy that runs viacom doesn't really care for Startrek. I think its Les moonves. I really don't care for him at all. I hope he steps down soon and get a better CEO that knows what he's doing. So whatever the out come is, I hope we have a new movie and a new series sometime within a couple of years. I miss Startrek already. And for the next startrek show, it should be more darker than the previous ones. Something like BSG but of course it will be startrek.

Post #: 35
Startrek Movie!!! - 28/4/2006 9:18:50 AM   
tvfreakazoid

Post #: 36
RE: Startrek Movie!!! - 28/4/2006 9:20:55 AM   
tvfreakazoid

Sorry this was an accident. Didn't mean to post it 3 times.

(in reply to tvfreakazoid)
Post #: 37
RE: Startrek Movie!!! - 28/4/2006 10:15:31 AM   
Ripper

Oh yeah! Star Trek XI! Wow Im sad. Still this means I cannot complete my life long dream (as of 2005) to bring Star Trek back to TV .. just good.

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to tvfreakazoid)
Post #: 38
RE: Federation Time Ship - 28/4/2006 12:57:30 PM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alamazoo

I always thought an interesting series (or movie) could be based around the Federation timeship that was shown in a voyager episode. These guys from the 27th or 28th century could go to any period in the star trek timeline. They could be the basis for stories that explore all of the Star Trek history and future. The feeling I got from the Federation time ship episode was that they usually are up against time paradoxes and alternate timelines caused by other people with the same technology. Anyway, alot of interesting things could be explored based on a ship like that.

I quite like that idea.  It's different to the other films but still relates to facts established within the Star trek universe.  Could be interesting.  No whales though!

++++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++++

Please reinstall the universe and reboot

(in reply to Alamazoo)
Post #: 39
RE: Move it on, don't look back - 28/4/2006 1:15:23 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Organian

I think the only way to destroy the Federation would be from within, and it wouldn't be destroyed, it would be radically changed. The superpowers of the Federation were always only Earth and Vulcan, apparently.

That's true, but then they are the founding members and the most powerful. But that doesn't mean they're the 'leaders'. The Federation is representitive of all members (much like U.N.). In fact, in DS9 the President is neither a human nor Vulcan.

quote:

The Klingons would have to demand a seat on the governing council. That would mean the Romulans would insist on being there, too.

The Klingons and Romulans are merely allies of the Federation during the Dominion War. They never were a part of the Federation itself and so would not get a seat on the council. For that they would have to actually join the Federation, something neither would be particularly keen, especially the somewhat paranoid and introveted Romulans.

quote:

The Federation would never be the same, especially if the Ferengi could buy their way in.

Money has been abolished within the Federation in the 24th Centuray. The pursuit of monetary gain is not what drives people in Star Trek's future, merely the improvement of all mankind. The Ferengi could never 'buy' themselves into the Federation.

(in reply to Organian)
Post #: 40
Lets try a New Frontier - 28/4/2006 8:47:56 PM   
westiewalker

Why not use one of the spin-off Star Trek books like the New Frontier? MacKensie Calhoun would be great with all his crew containing different aliens,a Brikar, Janos, the Hermat to name a few. The well known Star Trek characters could be brought in briefly as well.

Then there's E.P. Shelley who first appeared in the STNG Borg two parter.

Post #: 41
- 28/4/2006 11:03:32 PM   
ANDREW7

Who cares,theyve tired it out,theyd be better makin a STAR TREK movie with SHATNER AND TAKIN THE REAL PISS out of himself.Comedy is what hes good at

Post #: 42
RE: Move it on, don't look back - 29/4/2006 3:49:42 AM   
Organian

quote:

The Klingons and Romulans are merely allies of the Federation during the Dominion War. They never were a part of the Federation itself and so would not get a seat on the council. For that they would have to actually join the Federation, something neither would be particularly keen, especially the somewhat paranoid and introveted Romulans.

I thought the Klingons had joined the Federation. Isn't that what ST VI: The Undiscovered Country was about? Praxis? Spock's invitation? Chancellor Gorkon's daughter addressing the Federation? Gowron may have taken them out of it, but then Worf killed him and Martok became Supreme Leader, so he might take them back in. It would be worth his while. The Klingons still need help. As for the Romulans, they were never members before, but since they were allies in the Dominion war, they might apply. As you say, they are somewhat paranoid. They would want to know what the Federation was up to, and the best way would be to join. Since they helped defeat the Dominion, it would be hard to refuse them.

quote:

The Federation would never be the same, especially if the Ferengi could buy their way in.

Money has been abolished within the Federation in the 24th Centuray. The pursuit of monetary gain is not what drives people in Star Trek's future, merely the improvement of all mankind. The Ferengi could never 'buy' themselves into the Federation.

Money was abolished within Starfleet, sure. But the Federation is more than just Starfleet and it still deals with non-members, and so they must have some kind of currency. There were numerous episodes that depicted Starfleet buying supplies from others, in TOS, TNG and DS9. In TOS, you remember, they bought the Tribbles, and you remember Spock's "cover" on Organia was that he was a Vulcan merchant. In one of the movies, I heard Scotty say he'd just bought a boat. In TNG, they bought lots of stuff from lots of people - that collector who held Data captive, and I'm sure they have to pay to go to Raiza, and let's not forget that episode where the renegade Vulcan and her mercenaries were looting archaeological digs. In DS9, it was a distant outpost, most of the aliens weren't in the Federation. But whether or not there is a single currency, there must still be commerce of some kind. The Ferengi might be able to barter their way in, if they can offer something the Federation needs, such as a bunch of established, useful, non-Dominion contacts in the Gamma Quadrant, which Zek had already made. And with Rom as the new Grand Nagus, and his son in Starfleet... Yeah, I can see the Ferengi joining.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 43
RE: Move it on, don't look back - 29/4/2006 7:59:35 AM   
Nap1st

Undiscovered country was about how the Klingons became allied to the Federation in one small part opening up diplomatic relations to the happy clappy universe of Next generation. During the Dominion war They were allied to the Federation but acted in their own intrests especially over the Cardassians and their treatment was why Gul Dukat, went to the Dominion and got them to free Cardassia. Also the Klingons tried to sieze Deep Space Nine as well....more about it here ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_war

quote:

quote:

I thought the Klingons had joined the Federation. Isn't that what ST VI: The Undiscovered Country was about? Praxis? Spock's invitation? Chancellor Gorkon's daughter addressing the Federation? Gowron may have taken them out of it, but then Worf killed him and Martok became Supreme Leader, so he might take them back in. It would be worth his while. The Klingons still need help. As for the Romulans, they were never members before, but since they were allies in the Dominion war, they might apply. As you say, they are somewhat paranoid. They would want to know what the Federation was up to, and the best way would be to join. Since they helped defeat the Dominion, it would be hard to refuse them.

quote:

Money was abolished within Starfleet, sure. But the Federation is more than just Starfleet and it still deals with non-members, and so they must have some kind of currency. There were numerous episodes that depicted Starfleet buying supplies from others, in TOS, TNG and DS9. In TOS, you remember, they bought the Tribbles, and you remember Spock's "cover" on Organia was that he was a Vulcan merchant. In one of the movies, I heard Scotty say he'd just bought a boat. In TNG, they bought lots of stuff from lots of people - that collector who held Data captive, and I'm sure they have to pay to go to Raiza, and let's not forget that episode where the renegade Vulcan and her mercenaries were looting archaeological digs. In DS9, it was a distant outpost, most of the aliens weren't in the Federation. But whether or not there is a single currency, there must still be commerce of some kind. The Ferengi might be able to barter their way in, if they can offer something the Federation needs, such as a bunch of established, useful, non-Dominion contacts in the Gamma Quadrant, which Zek had already made. And with Rom as the new Grand Nagus, and his son in Starfleet... Yeah, I can see the Ferengi joining.

More about the Ferengi here

(in reply to Organian)
Post #: 44
Move it on, don't look back - 29/4/2006 3:48:12 PM   
jaymib

star trek 11 should take place like 15 to 50 years after 10 and it should be with a new crew, new ship and it sould be about a new race starting a war with the fedration, actly i think they should pick up the story in ST:TNG first season 'conspiracy', it left off that the parasitic beings would return, maybe this is the time, with what SX tech is like knower days.

Post #: 45
Move it on, don't look back - 29/4/2006 4:06:13 PM   
jaymib

star trek 11 should take place like 15 to 50 years after 10 and it should be with a new crew, new ship and it sould be about a new race starting a war with the fedration, actly i think they should pick up the story in ST:TNG first season 'conspiracy', it left off that the parasitic beings would return, maybe this is the time, with what SX tech is like knower days.

Post #: 46
RE: Move it on, don't look back - 30/4/2006 12:27:33 AM   
Organian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nap1st

Undiscovered country was about how the Klingons became allied to the Federation in one small part opening up diplomatic relations to the happy clappy universe of Next generation. During the Dominion war They were allied to the Federation but acted in their own intrests especially over the Cardassians and their treatment was why Gul Dukat, went to the Dominion and got them to free Cardassia. Also the Klingons tried to sieze Deep Space Nine as well....more about it here ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_war

quote:

Oh, there was more to it than just opening up diplomatic relations. There were exchanges of officers, such as when Kern joined the Enterprise crew in Riker's place, while Riker went aboard a Klingon ship as 1st Officer. Kern later sat on the High Council. Then there was Redemption I & II, when Starfleet staged a blockade to stop the Romulans from interfering ito support the Duras family in the Klingon Civil War.

The reason the Klingons tried to take over DS9 was mostly a powerplay by Gowron (aka Moron). He wanted to prosecute the war against the Cardassians, and wanted DS9 as a base of operations. DS9 was actually a Bajoran station being operated by Starfleet. Bajor was not yet a member of the UFP. Their application was being considered. The Bajorans had had enough of war with the Cardassians, they didn't want to start it all up again, and besides that, I think the Prophets told Sisko (the Emissary) that Bajor shouldn't get involved in such a war, they would derive no benefit from it, but they would make themselves a target.

Remember, the United Federation of Planets is modeled after the UN, a fairly loose Federation of otherwise autonomous worlds, and remember also that many times, Picard declared that the Federation doesn't interfere in the "internal affairs" of its members. Starfleet belongs to Earth; it's not really a Federation force, as it seems mostly Terran. While it does accept many cadets from Federation worlds, like Vulcan's Spock and Tuvok, or Jadzia and Ezri Dax of theTrill world, or Troi and the unnamed Betazed who was Academy Commandant when Picard was a cadet; it also accepts cadets from non-UFP worlds, like Nog from the Ferengi Alliance, and Ro Larin from Bajor, and of course, Worf.

(in reply to Nap1st)
Post #: 47
BRING VOYAGER TO THE BIG SCREEN - 30/4/2006 6:18:27 AM   
katzeyes75

I think it's high time we move forward, and bring Admiral Janeway to the bridge of a newly redesigned and refitted USS VOYAGER! Just as in ST: TMP, Admiral Janeway must assume command of the Voyager, and from that moment on....MORE VOYAGER MOVIES! Bring in the cast members of the other shows, make it center on Guinan for a sort of time line movie...whatever...just bring VOYAGER to the BIG SCREEN!

Post #: 48
a good idea - 1/5/2006 2:36:53 AM   
STARTREK

a new movie star trek : star trek elite force or about VOYAGER.

Post #: 49
RE: a good idea - 1/5/2006 8:40:05 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

Would it kill these people to just leave Star Trek alone, and come up with an entirely new concept? I've just finished watching the Star Trek 1-10 box set, plus all 3 seasons of the original series(season 3 was just dire, people!), and in my opinion, could they really have anything new to say about the concept? Let it lie, folks. Please. Let's have something new in cinemas besides film versions of old TV shows, and pointless remakes. It's so boring! 

This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face.

(in reply to STARTREK)
Post #: 50
Star Trek is watched mostly by Fans - 1/5/2006 7:08:56 PM   
brainstewerz

Please the fans! We want to see a continuation of Star Trek where it left off, including all of the Series' stories. What happened to Voyager? Kate Mulgrew is a wonderful actress and we all would love to see more of her. What about newly minted Captain William Riker and the U.S.S. Titan? Whatever happened to Picard now that his reputation was marred by the Federation's scathing trial for his actions at Rashanar?

Paramount likes to keep fans occupied with well written books about the Star Trek world, and we appreciate that. However, when they make Star Trek XI, they must take into account that which was written in the newest books.

Oh and by the way, destroying Data was the stupidest move Paramount could ever make.

Feedback! brainstewerz@gmail.com

Post #: 51
RE: Move it on, don't look back - 2/5/2006 12:21:15 AM   
Nap1st

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nap1st

quote:

Oh, there was more to it than just opening up diplomatic relations. There were exchanges of officers, such as when Kern joined the Enterprise crew in Riker's place, while Riker went aboard a Klingon ship as 1st Officer. Kern later sat on the High Council. Then there was Redemption I & II, when Starfleet staged a blockade to stop the Romulans from interfering ito support the Duras family in the Klingon Civil War.

The reason the Klingons tried to take over DS9 was mostly a powerplay by Gowron (aka Moron). He wanted to prosecute the war against the Cardassians, and wanted DS9 as a base of operations. DS9 was actually a Bajoran station being operated by Starfleet. Bajor was not yet a member of the UFP. Their application was being considered. The Bajorans had had enough of war with the Cardassians, they didn't want to start it all up again, and besides that, I think the Prophets told Sisko (the Emissary) that Bajor shouldn't get involved in such a war, they would derive no benefit from it, but they would make themselves a target.

Remember, the United Federation of Planets is modeled after the UN, a fairly loose Federation of otherwise autonomous worlds, and remember also that many times, Picard declared that the Federation doesn't interfere in the "internal affairs" of its members. Starfleet belongs to Earth; it's not really a Federation force, as it seems mostly Terran. While it does accept many cadets from Federation worlds, like Vulcan's Spock and Tuvok, or Jadzia and Ezri Dax of theTrill world, or Troi and the unnamed Betazed who was Academy Commandant when Picard was a cadet; it also accepts cadets from non-UFP worlds, like Nog from the Ferengi Alliance, and Ro Larin from Bajor, and of course, Worf.

Mind you I think star fleet is more terran due to budget. I'll allways remember the orange alien crew member on the consol from the cartoon series. You only see the aliens when their needed for the story line (even in a brief moment like in VI Chekov about to go on about the story of cinderella).

(in reply to Organian)
Post #: 52
RE: Star Trek is watched mostly by Fans - 2/5/2006 5:38:54 AM   
Organian

What appeared to happen to Voyager was that it was trying to find its way home, and succeeded. End of story. The only real way to extend that would be if she was followed home by the Borg, or species 8472. That presents some small possibility, but not as much as DS9 did.

I agree that destroying Data was sheer lunacy. But, in fact, there's more than one way they could bring him back.

Method #1. There's Lore. Identical to Data in all respects except the brain. He was deactivated, not destroyed. All they need to do, is replace Lore's brain with Data's. Data's brain was ostensibly destroyed in Nemesis, but there was a spare, remember? In the episode called "Time's Arrow". It was, admittedly, left lying in a minseshaft in the 19th century, but the teaser of that episode was that Data's head was found in the course of an archaeological dig in San Francisco. It would have been taken to Starfleet. They would need to attach that head to Lore's body. Presto. Data returns.

Method #2. Surviving an explosion like that is theoretically easy enough. The force of it would have tossed Data a great distance, but we know his body was well-constructed, and if he didn't hit anything hard, he might not have sustained much actual damage. If it was strong enough, it may not have broken apart. He would be an odd piece of space junk, hurtling through the void. He had no need of air, food or water. As long as his head wasn't vaporized, the rest could be rebuilt, just as he built Lal.

(in reply to brainstewerz)
Post #: 53
RE: Star Trek is watched mostly by Fans - 2/5/2006 7:13:26 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

Don't forget, brainstewerz, bloody Wesley's on the Titan as well, according to Nemesis...bloody Wesley!!!

This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face.

(in reply to brainstewerz)
Post #: 54
Snore - 2/5/2006 6:31:27 PM   
slandrew

I certainly hope that this guy realizes that he is in the minority of the Star Trek. It's bad enough to make a movie in the original Star Trek era, but to make one about Starfleet academy...SNORE!

Post #: 55
Snore - 2/5/2006 6:31:53 PM   
slandrew

I certainly hope that this guy realizes that he is in the minority of the Star Trek fans. It's bad enough to make a movie in the original Star Trek era, but to make one about Starfleet academy...SNORE!

Post #: 56
Go where no man has gone before - 2/5/2006 7:18:11 PM   
jerryarp

I hope the star trek legacy stays the same. Let it go where no man has gone before and try something NEW!

Post #: 57
KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE! - 3/5/2006 3:21:31 PM   
James S

I thought Paramount would have learnt their lesson by now with Enterprise. Most of the new generation of trek fans - that 18-30 year old market that's so important - just aren't interested in revisiting the early years of the Trek universe. I agree with brainsterwerz - let's bring in the DS9 and Voyager crews to the big screen!

Post #: 58
temporal prime directive - 4/5/2006 1:04:43 AM   
magnatron

It seems to me that voyager couldnt have ended the way it did. Ive often wondered if the temporal prime directive wasnt broken when the older janeway went back to bring her crew back sooner. As it stands now, they have technology from the 29th century in the form of the mobile emitter, and not to mention the ablative armor and trans-phasic torpedos. It seems to me they have some fixing to do on this subject or does it stand where it is or will possible war break out over starfleets leap in the technology field. I think this would make for a interesting reason to bring back voyager!!

Post #: 59
RE: temporal prime directive - 4/5/2006 3:15:19 AM   
Organian

There were a few things wrong with Voyager's ending, but the main theme had been cast in stone from the get-go. Voyager got blown into the Delta Quadrant by this array thingy, they spent the next several years trying to get back home, and finally, hooray, they made it! What other way could it end?

They picked up a piece of 29th century hardware, which makes for an anomaly and a useful and interesting prop, but no more than that.

My feeling is that the best bet would be to resurrect Voyager, and also bring back DS9. The Founders would return as a threat, in much the same way that First Contact (and the final season of Voyager) brought back the Borg. They were infected with that disease that Section 31 cooked up, but Odo had developed a cure, and was going to help them.

The mobile emitter fits in, because that could allow the EMH to actually infiltrate the enemy. Using the mobile emitter, the EMH could impersonate a Founder. Not enough to fool another Founder, of course, and he could never link with one, but he might be able to fool a Vorta and the Jemm Hadar, who are not going to challenge a Founder. (The emitter doesn't have to be visible on the EMH's arm. It could be inside his arm.) He could also impersonate a Vorta and have the enemy shooting at each other.

There's a lot they could do. But do they have the will? With any luck, Berman won't be involved in this venture... What they did to end Enterprise was absoutely unforgivable! (It was all a bl@@dy holodeck simulation? Puh-lease!
Unfortunately, I've heard that JJ Abrams is more a fan of the original series. Still, there's always the chance he'll be able to get over his nostalgia and realize there are lots more fans out there for whom TOS holds no attraction.

(in reply to magnatron)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Many ways to go Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI