Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as ....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 25/4/2006 5:41:22 PM   
shiny mouse

I don't watch a great deal of t.v., much of appears to be either "reality t.v." (a misnomer, i believe) or soul destroying,  mind mangling soaps. Having said that, am open to recommendations from friends, glad of it too as otherwise I would have missed this gem from the states. Starring James Spader and William Shatner and set in a prestigious  city law firm (I know, I know, just give it a chance) it is both acerbic and full of pathos, it's characters by turns likeable and hateful. It is well scripted and wonerfully performed by a more than able cast. I urge you, if you like your comedy black and intelligent give Boston Legal a try. If you hate it, you dont ever have to watch it again - honest.

< Message edited by shiny mouse -- 25/4/2006 5:43:04 PM >

it's a dangerous business, going out of your door...
Post #: 1
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 26/4/2006 5:43:22 PM   
Winkelmesser

My favouite TV show of the last year or so. Its brilliant, weird and moving, and all in one hour! James Spader and William Shatner are indescribably wonderful together, both their Emmy awards are well deserved, and the supporting cast is also excellent.

(in reply to shiny mouse)
Post #: 2
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 26/4/2006 6:25:30 PM   
audreyII

I loved the first series, but it stopped about two thirds of the way through. second series started and there were more than a few unanswered questions and it looked like they were trying to mix some of the storylines from the first with the second. New characters appeared out of nowhere and equally old ones disappeared, what happened to Monica Potter or Rhona Mitra?

Still watching though, William Shatner is occasionally hilarious (Denny Crane!) and there's just something about James Spader...
And it was nice to see Michael J Fox in recent episodes.

Insanity runs in my family... it practically gallops

(in reply to Winkelmesser)
Post #: 3
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 28/4/2006 1:56:41 AM   
Jack's Rage

Yup, I agree.  I think season one had some of the best writing on TV.  It was witty and had a perfect dark sense of humor.  And Spader and Shatner were gauranteed several gut busting moments per episode.

But in season two it has turned into a show with a clear political agenda.  Also, James Spader's character has been esentially neutered.  Gone is the vain Alan Shore who will do anything to win.  (one of my favorite moments from season one was when Spader shamlessly paid a guy to start a bar fight, and then arrogantly kept distributing $100 dollar bills too people like they were mercenaries.  "Here's another hundred.  Go help your friend".  Fucking hysterical!)  Yes, underneath it all he had a heart.  But he kept his sympathy bottled up and held to his smirking, arrogant outer vaneer.  The cast changes were a bust with the two replacements for Rhona Mitre and Monica Potter off the show. 

I don't think its terrilble by an means.  However, considering it was one of my favorites last season (I needed my Spader and Shatner fix every week) it has been very dissapointing.

< Message edited by Jack's Rage -- 28/4/2006 2:03:27 AM >

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 4
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 28/4/2006 8:29:35 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I absolutely adore this show! Shatner and Spader work amazingly well together and they have an incredible chemistry. Apparently, they designed the series so that any actor/actress could leave afterwards, which is probably what happened to Monica Potter. I love Schmidt. She's so cool! And the way she handles Denny Crane is great

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Jack's Rage)
Post #: 5
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 29/4/2006 8:51:27 PM   
shiny mouse

I believe Monica Potters character was summarily dismissed by Shirley Schmidt, just like that - boom. I like that, it gives us a message: dont get too attatched, tomorrow they could just be gone. Cant recall the name Rhona Mitchell, was she Alans "girlfriend" ? If so she quit. Also, just like that. She did have a farewell conversation with Alan though. Alan has only evolved a little, I'm not sure he could have effectively maintained his bold, callous exterior and remained as inherently likeable as he has. He still doesnt play fair, and by gum, we dont want him to, in fact, we love him for it!

it's a dangerous business, going out of your door...

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 6
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 30/4/2006 5:44:06 AM   
Jack's Rage

But Alan Shore didn't just grow a bit as much as completely change.  In season two he has taken up the cause for every down-trodden individual and cause imaginable.  And the amount of Bush bashing is just annoying.  I mean the only Republican is the guy who's lost his mind! 

Now, yes I was partial to Rhona Mitre for obvious reasons (She is damn HOT!).  But her *cough assets cough* aside she brought a sex appeal (not just gratuatous) to the show that is missed.  I will say that Brad has been given some better material (The episode where he impersonates an FBI agent was funny).  But on the whole the show has changed its tone and lost its edge.

As for Monica Potter's exit.  I am assuming that her character was fired.  But I don't believe it was shown on air. 

Also, unfortunately I think the show is getting worse.  I have noticed laughing less and less.  (usually a Denny Crane moment or two is it).  I didn't like the storyline with Bev (aside from Denny get'in it on in the coat room!)  I got tired of the Betty White crime spree real quick.  Just dumb.  And now I have had it with Alan's idiot assistant Melissa.  God.  Just shut the fuck up!  Wow.  I really miss how irreverently funny the show used to be.

Post #: 7
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 1/5/2006 8:56:31 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack's Rage

And now I have had it with Alan's idiot assistant Melissa.  God.  Just shut the fuck up!  Wow.  I really miss how irreverently funny the show used to be.

She is extremely annoying and the whole Night-Terrors thing was just stupid. I mean, I'm sure it's a problem for some people, but the way they handled it was bizarrely dumb for a show of its sharp quality. I still enjoy Denny and Alan moments at the finale of the show - the Flamingo one always springs to mind! - but they need some more sexy entrees for Alan and to get rid of that annoying Bev woman!

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Post #: 8
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 2/5/2006 8:12:21 PM   
Jack's Rage

Like I said earlier they have completely fucked up Alan.  He has gone from being a vain, arrogant and selfish man, to a crusader for morality.  Rediculous!  Now any sort of smarmy remark from him rings hollow because we all know that he is ethically righteous.  And, now that such has been shown, it is impossible to back. 

As for Bev, I agree, its such a tired storyline.  But I'm sure she will be gone soon enough.

However, cancer stricken Micheal J. Fox could be even worse.  The show has gotten so heavy handed and the balance is just way off!  I think that Denny is the saving grace of the show.  But he is rapidly becoming a characature.  There still are some brilliant moments.  Though they are now few and far between.  

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 9
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 8/9/2007 12:16:52 PM   
spark1

shame ftn stopped BL s2 eps and went with L word instead on Mon.
what denny crane have done?

Post #: 10
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 8/9/2007 12:56:27 PM   
Bruce Wayne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack's Rage

Like I said earlier they have completely fucked up Alan.  He has gone from being a vain, arrogant and selfish man, to a crusader for morality.  Rediculous!  Now any sort of smarmy remark from him rings hollow because we all know that he is ethically righteous.  And, now that such has been shown, it is impossible to back. 

I have to agree with you he's not nearly as arrogant or smary as he was before. He still has his great moments in Season 2 (standing up for Jerry Hands, his dance with Denny, the Black Widow episodes where he accuses the maid of the crime from my avatar-that was hilarious), I just think his characters going through a midlife crisis but he hasnt had nearly as many funny remarks or moments as the first Season, the bar brawl was laugh out loud funny. Still James Spader is wonderful. And Season 2 had the funniest line from Shirley which made me almost wet myself when they were searching for Bernie's dead body in the basement "I get paid a million a year and Im in a basement looking for a dead midget". Wonderfully witty.

< Message edited by Bruce Wayne -- 8/9/2007 12:59:28 PM >

Let's hug it out bitch

Post #: 11
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 22/9/2007 2:06:28 AM   
Jack's Rage

Wow, I completely forgot about this show. I missed a few eps and never caught back up with it. I just got fed up with all the liberal grandstanding. Allen Shore continually getting up on his soap box really pissed me off. And now even when there isn't any politcal ranting its weak. David E. Kelley is noted for making major changes between seasons in his shows. Heck, he already did it from season 1 to 2 here. Maybe, they can make some cast alterations and cut way down on the political preaching and save this once brilliant show.

(in reply to Bruce Wayne)
Post #: 12
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 22/9/2007 1:21:51 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

shame ftn stopped BL s2 eps and went with L word instead on Mon.
what denny crane have done?

getting regular sunday slot on virgin 1 from 14th oct.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 13
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 4/9/2009 8:50:38 PM   
Goodfella

I've fallen in love with this show. It's dirty as fuck but incredibly snappy, I've just started season two and the end to season one was a wonderful finish considering how lively and funny the show had been all season, to finish on that emotional and downbeat ending was extrodinary. Also as far as ultimate threesomes go, Laurie Collson and Tara Wilson anyone?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 14
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 4/9/2009 10:47:11 PM   
Harley Quinn

Have only seen series one but loved it.

Tara is a total babe.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

Post #: 15
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 5/9/2009 9:56:57 AM   
rooney

Bought them religiously  since they where released in the UK

Loved 1-3 but must admit it has started losing it at the end, you cannot beat the first two series of Spader and Shatner pure comic genius if you havent you should watch series 1 and then if you think its worth a shot buy em

Col tempo la foglia di gelso diventa seta: old Italian saying meaning, "Time and patience change the mulberry leaf to satin."

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 16
RE: Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... - 5/9/2009 8:55:40 PM   
darth silas

Hate this show.Alan Shore was a great character in the last season of The Practice,but when they moved him to Boston Legal he just became annoying.The show is just camp and not as funny as it thinks it is.It also doesnt help that David .E kelley cant write any episode without the word ''Penis'' in it!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to rooney)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Boston Legal, razor sharp and funny as .... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI