Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Silent Running - 24/4/2006 11:39:19 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
My favourite movie ever - 24/4/2006 11:39:23 PM   
NapoleonX

A Space Opera, environmental, weepie where you are brought to tears by a sodding robot. Huey, Dewey and Louie, the greatest characters in cinema. These guys, with no human features whatsoever, become your friends as much as they befriend Lowell Freeman. Bruce Dern incidentally gives a magnificent performance. This really is an unforgettable experience. Even Joan Baez weighs in with two incredible songs. The atmosphere evoked by this movie cannot be forgotten in a hurry.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: My favourite movie ever - 25/4/2006 2:07:36 PM   
MOTH

A lovely, thoughtful and gentle film, far ahead of its time in the issues it presents. Bruce Dern is great, but as Empire's review says it the final image that'll bring a tear to the eye of even the most hard hearted bastard. Sob!

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to NapoleonX)
Post #: 3
RE: My favourite movie ever - 25/4/2006 2:54:46 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Man this film brought me to tears as a kid! Jesus when the robot is sent alone into space with a watering can in his bloody hand!!! Too sad for words

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4
RE: My favourite movie ever - 25/4/2006 2:56:05 PM   
Darth Vader

Now that Star Wars is all done and dusted.  My hopes for a film starring Artoo Detoo AND Huey, Dewey and Lewey have increased.

Bruce dern is great in this.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 5
RE: My favourite movie ever - 25/4/2006 3:01:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

What a superb idea - R2D2 and the Silent Running bunch, along with those cute ones in The Black Hole. That is what I call a team!!!

(in reply to Darth Vader)
Post #: 6
A great Sci fi tale of lonliness and regret - 5/8/2010 1:19:01 PM   
stevolegendbauer

While it features for too many shots of spaceships moving slowly through space this is a sci fi classic that while it may contain an important message of protecting our enviornment the film is at its strongest when exploring themes of lonliness and regret. Bruce Dern, in a remarkable performance cant stop thinking of how he killed his three crewmates and how lonely he is without human company. He befriends the robot drones who are completely expressionless and faceless yet you care about them so much that when Lowel crrashes into Huey your heart stops. This relationship between man and beast/machine/volleyball has been mimiced but not bettered in films sucj as I Am Legend and Cast Away. The final moments where Dewey is left to care for the forest alone are some of the saddest and most touching moments in all cinema.

Post #: 7
- 15/11/2011 5:29:13 PM   
bobbyperu

In recent years this rather lazily plotted and implausible sci-fi film has gained cult status - I have no idea why as the film is such a bore -

Post #: 8
Better than 2001! - 15/3/2012 10:54:49 PM   
dannyfletch

I know it will probably cause a bit of a stir but I've always found this to be a better film than Kubrick's space opera! 2001 may be technically better and I do appreciate that it's good but Silent Running is a film with a much bigger heart and soul! At a running time of 90 mins it's also not as much of a bizzare drag as 2001!

Post #: 9
RE: Better than 2001! - 23/7/2013 3:08:25 PM   
Mr Gittes

It sure ain't perfect, but Silent Running is very good, haunting sci-fi, with a superb performance from Bruce Dern. It also has one of the saddest endings you're ever likely to see.

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Silent Running Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI