Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Irish Thread!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Irish Thread! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Irish Thread! - 24/4/2006 5:30:43 PM   
Mogwai

I'm not from Ireland I'm from Norn Iron....just thought I'll write that. 

http://damnedconjuror.wordpress.com/ - My Blog

I was cut from her belly
With a stanley knife
My daddy did a jig
With the drunk midwife

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 31
RE: The Irish Thread! - 25/4/2006 1:14:58 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

I'm from Dublin, I remember the Irish Banter thread on the orange forum...
Anyone go into the 1916 Easter commemoration thing? I took a few photos...http://eflask.deviantart.com/gallery/

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Mogwai)
Post #: 32
RE: The Irish Thread! - 25/4/2006 5:06:06 PM   
Livvie

No I was at home - the photos are great though - Nice one of the garda with his trusty bottle of Volvic - he'd have needed that if a riot broke out!

After all ... tomorrow is another day.

Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 33
RE: The Irish Thread! - 29/4/2006 7:48:28 PM   
Joe

Nah, it was never gonna be a troublesome day.

What do people think about the whole 1916 thing? It's just that I have an exam this week where I plan to discuss the different points of view concerning it.

P.S. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too nice outside to study (says he in the library on the Empire forum!)

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 34
RE: The Irish Thread! - 29/4/2006 7:50:09 PM   
dark crystal

Do you mean the actual 1916 rising? Or just the commemerations?

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man"

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 35
RE: The Irish Thread! - 29/4/2006 8:28:43 PM   
Icon

Being born bread and buttered in Dublin and with a great-grandfather who actually fought in the Rising, I think I can add a word or two to this thread!

Firstly, IMO the best pubs in Dublin are:
1) Kehoe's of Sth Anne St
2) The Stag's Head of Dame Court
3) The Lotts of Liffey St
4 Doheny & Nesbitt's of Baggot St
5) The Market Bar off Drury St

Secondly, (and forgive me if this sounds preachy) the Rising was the result of the mass frustration that was going on in Ireland at the time. The stagnation of the Home Rule Movement coupled with the increasing violence that seemed to be everywhere allowed a new breed of politcal leaders to flourish. Men like Padraic Pearse and James Connolly sought to achieve a country out of nothing. Now, not wishing to paint historic figures with a romantic ideal, these men nonetheless tried to do something. Compared with today, a time where even to be passive is seen as doing too much, it's interesting to think what if today's generation were faced with the same problems.

You name it! 09!

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 36
RE: The Irish Thread! - 30/4/2006 2:16:24 AM   
Million Dollar Bill

Is the Rugby over?

(in reply to Icon)
Post #: 37
RE: The Irish Thread! - 30/4/2006 1:29:03 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icon

Being born bread and buttered in Dublin and with a great-grandfather who actually fought in the Rising, I think I can add a word or two to this thread!

Firstly, IMO the best pubs in Dublin are:
1) Kehoe's of Sth Anne St
2) The Stag's Head of Dame Court
3) The Lotts of Liffey St
4 Doheny & Nesbitt's of Baggot St
5) The Market Bar off Drury St

Secondly, (and forgive me if this sounds preachy) the Rising was the result of the mass frustration that was going on in Ireland at the time. The stagnation of the Home Rule Movement coupled with the increasing violence that seemed to be everywhere allowed a new breed of politcal leaders to flourish. Men like Padraic Pearse and James Connolly sought to achieve a country out of nothing. Now, not wishing to paint historic figures with a romantic ideal, these men nonetheless tried to do something. Compared with today, a time where even to be passive is seen as doing too much, it's interesting to think what if today's generation were faced with the same problems.

Yeah it's an interesting topic. Reading a critic at the moment who argues that the anti-1916 rhetoric taken up in the 70's wasn't just as a reaction to the troubles but inspired by a new intellectual middle class who benifited from the end of the isolationalist economic policy, and in a nut shell, were looking for someone to have a go at for years of misery (it's not as simple as that though, just paraphrasing!)

Oh and Bill, the rugby was over at half time!

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to Icon)
Post #: 38
RE: The Irish Thread! - 1/5/2006 3:03:48 PM   
Joe

So do any of you have any exams coming? Mine start tomorrow, when I have 2 (my birthday and all ) and then again on Thursday and Friday. One next week then another on the 16th when I'm finished my degree!

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 39
RE: The Irish Thread! - 5/5/2006 10:19:35 AM   
Joe

Did anyone see that "I'm an Adult, get me Out Of Here" property show? Or feel any sympathy whatsoever for the D4 girls who couldn't find their way around Dublin?

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 40
RE: The Irish Thread! - 5/5/2006 2:42:47 PM   
Livvie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe

So do any of you have any exams coming? Mine start tomorrow, when I have 2 (my birthday and all ) and then again on Thursday and Friday. One next week then another on the 16th when I'm finished my degree!

I've exams starting the 16th - 5 in total and 2 of them are on Saturdays - Saturdays - I ask you? That should be disallowed.......

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 41
RE: The Irish Thread! - 5/5/2006 5:07:54 PM   
Peter Dragon

I'm Irish.

I used to be a big deal on the old forums you know.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 42
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/5/2006 12:29:17 AM   
Million Dollar Bill

I've got 8 exams awaiting me  They start on Tuesday and end 3 weeks later

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 43
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/5/2006 1:28:49 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Livvie

quote:

I've exams starting the 16th - 5 in total and 2 of them are on Saturdays - Saturdays - I ask you? That should be disallowed.......

My friend has exams on Saturday - he's gonna miss the Heiniken Cup final! goes to UL -who scheduled an exam in Limerick the day of that game?!

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 44
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/5/2006 4:36:19 PM   
Livvie

Me too - I feel his pain! It seems everyone is planning great things for the weekends I'm doing exams!! A group of friends are off to Lahinch that weekend and I'm missing a concert on fri the 26th!!!!!! Exams suck.....

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 45
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/5/2006 5:47:09 PM   
Joe

I went camping in Lahincd one weekend years ago, it was such a laugh.Great place for a weekend away on the piss!

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 46
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/5/2006 8:12:08 PM   
Livvie

Yea - they're not camping this year though- was a complete washout last year....ended up swimming out of the tents to sleep in the car! So I think its the hostel this year...I'm v bitter.....

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 47
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/5/2006 8:18:00 PM   
Joe

The time we went we arrived on a Friday in September. Thecampsites were of no use to us so we camped on a grassy knoll by the cliff edge. Woke up the next day to find that oneof the lads went out to take a piss, slipped and fell. He didn't fall far, but he fell awkwardly and broke his leg!

He had to go to hospital obviously, leaving all his food/offie gear with us....

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 48
RE: The Irish Thread! - 8/5/2006 12:11:09 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Bit of drama with that whole bus thing. Shame someone had to loose their life. 

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 49
RE: The Irish Thread! - 8/5/2006 2:18:16 AM   
aldaboss

Grrr got my exams coming up soon. I have to hand in my project but my harddrive went on the old laptop so im fucked.

My god is a boob

Post #: 50
RE: The Irish Thread! - 8/5/2006 9:24:50 AM   
Livvie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erlenmeyer Flask

Bit of drama with that whole bus thing. Shame someone had to loose their life. 

My God, just read the article in The Irish Times about it.........Empire is the place for stories like that - it sounds like something out of a film! Lunatic?!!

Post #: 51
RE: The Irish Thread! - 14/5/2006 2:23:19 PM   
Joe

It was so crazy, wasn't it? A total rampage. He'll be put in an asylum for sure, is there a court in the country who'd convict him on manslaughter?

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 52
RE: The Irish Thread! - 17/5/2006 8:52:32 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

My friend has exams on Saturday - he's gonna miss the Heiniken Cup final! goes to UL -who scheduled an exam in Limerick the day of that game?!

Heheheh I'm going to BE there  I'll give Ronan a big shout from all of you here

And for any others likely to be in Cardiff that day, Kitty Flynn's on Caroline Street is a dedicated Munster bar - guess where I'll be!

< Message edited by Funkyrae -- 17/5/2006 8:55:18 PM >

That's me that is!

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 53
RE: The Irish Thread! - 17/5/2006 8:58:40 PM   
Livvie

I'm so bitter!! I'll be drowning my post exam sorrow in Dublin before cramming for Mondays exam.......2 down 3 to go........

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 54
RE: The Irish Thread! - 18/5/2006 10:50:31 AM   
Funkyrae

I can think of worse places for sorrow drowning

That's me that is!

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 55
RE: The Irish Thread! - 20/5/2006 5:58:31 PM   
Joe

Irish by birth - Munster by the grace of God!

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 56
RE: The Irish Thread! - 20/5/2006 6:06:33 PM   
Livvie

Absolute legends!!Up Munster...They totally stole our song though (Galway girl 'The fields of Athenry) but I think its safe to say they're entitled to it!! My brother was at the game and my sister is in Limerick!! She was in the O'Connell St. crowd!! By the sounds of both experiences it was an unforgettable game to witness!!

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 57
RE: The Irish Thread! - 20/5/2006 9:17:37 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Livvie

Absolute legends!!Up Munster...They totally stole our song though (Galway girl 'The fields of Athenry) but I think its safe to say they're entitled to it!! My brother was at the game and my sister is in Limerick!! She was in the O'Connell St. crowd!! By the sounds of both experiences it was an unforgettable game to witness!!

Ah but the song was penned by a Cork man who was imprisoned!

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 58
RE: The Irish Thread! - 21/5/2006 3:45:55 AM   
Joe

So Brian Kennedy comes 10th and grannies across the country lament for the time when "it was a song contest"....

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 59
RE: The Irish Thread! - 21/5/2006 7:57:03 PM   
Funkyrae

Yay Munster!  I can still hear air horns and cheering in Cardiff now

I inherited a Munster flag from a guy that was sitting in front of me, just got to figure out which wall it needs to go on now.....

Yay for Donncha too!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Irish Thread! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI