Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Irish Thread!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Irish Thread! Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Irish Thread! - 2/12/2010 8:18:23 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Having spoken to the AG they confirmed nobody would be sued for slips and trips if a homeowner or a business shovels snow leaving ice-Good move.

What I am calling for is greater power to be given to local Authorities, although so are the greens and agreeing with them makes me uncomfortable.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 3211
RE: The Irish Thread! - 2/12/2010 8:38:39 PM   
Sad Professor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Having spoken to the AG they confirmed nobody would be sued for slips and trips if a homeowner or a business shovels snow leaving ice-Good move.

Ah right, I missed this. Good move indeed as there was lots of confusion on the airwaves last year largely by people who didn't know what they were on about. Ye know, the George Hooks & Joe Duffys.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 3212
RE: The Irish Thread! - 3/12/2010 9:37:37 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Not sure what was the biggest shock this morning. To wake up and find it hadn't snowed overnight, or to find that Cowen still has a job. Latest opinion poll shows FF now down in 4th position. I don't think its entirely that bad, as when it actually comes to balloting I think some people wont be able to help but vote FF. But if Lenihan was in perfect health I think the back benchers who know their positions are on the line would be ousting Cowen already.

Post #: 3213
RE: The Irish Thread! - 3/12/2010 12:57:08 PM   
Sad Professor

Lenihan's lost a lot of credibility now, I can't see him having much support to be honest. There's only so many corners we can turn before it's realised that he's leading us round in circles...

I'm skeptical about these polls. It's not like there is no support for the Fianna Fail policies - banking aside they're running on a very rightist platform that has been advocated for years of cutting welfare, minimum wage and so on.  At what point do these polls stop being support for policies and are instead a measure of support for the populist popularity that our political culture is based on courtesy of FF.

What someone says in a survey and what they vote might be another matter - or whether they vote at all.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 3214
RE: The Irish Thread! - 5/12/2010 5:29:08 PM   
directorscut

An Post have taken down their bad weather notice, so hopefully those slackers will start delivering again tomorrow.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 3215
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/12/2010 4:50:41 PM   
directorscut

Apparently not.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 3216
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/12/2010 6:07:16 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Michael Lowry talking about courage, political maturity and making hard decisions. What self-aggrandising bollocks.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 3217
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/12/2010 7:26:01 PM   
Sad Professor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erlenmeyer Flask

Michael Lowry talking about courage, political maturity and making hard decisions. What self-aggrandising bollocks.

Him and that little troll Healy-Rae.....

Having read the three opposition parties budget submissions, the 4yr plan and some of the "bailout" deal/memo I'm starting to see what some people mean by "political instability". I am thoroughly petrified at what our society will look like even in 6months time.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 3218
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/12/2010 8:59:29 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Having read the three opposition parties budget submissions, the 4yr plan and some of the "bailout" deal/memo I'm starting to see what some people mean by "political instability". I am thoroughly petrified at what our society will look like even in 6months time.

You must spend an inordinate amount of time being petrified. The country will do what it has done in the past, by and large it will just get on with it. Pat Cox was on this morning and he made an interesting comment about how there is an "Olympics of negativity" at moment and he is right.

As I had said in a (much) earlier post, if anyone remembers the 1980's this recession will be (currently) managble for the nation as at the moment it is not as bad. It may be, it could go tits up in the next year but as of right now this type of hyperbole is not necessary. I accept things are bad. I accept some people are going to really find it tough and some will not be as lucky to make it through unharmed. I fully expect to be one of these people.

I do not condone what has happened or some of the decisions neither do I (or will I) try and justify them however if everyone thought like you do we might as well dig a great big fucking pit and form an orderly queue to throw ourselves into it.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 3219
RE: The Irish Thread! - 6/12/2010 10:42:02 PM   
Woger

The big difference with the 80's is the level of personal debt. there was nowhere near the same level in the 80's. I don''t think mass mortgage default was ever an issue in the 80's.
Anyway one mans negativity is another mans reality.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 3220
RE: The Irish Thread! - 7/12/2010 3:46:23 AM   
Sad Professor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger
The big difference with the 80's is the level of personal debt. there was nowhere near the same level in the 80's. I don''t think mass mortgage default was ever an issue in the 80's.

My sentiments exactly.

Also, it is grotesque to posit that 90,000+  children in consistent poverty is "manageable"

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 3221
RE: The Irish Thread! - 7/12/2010 8:32:10 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

My sentiments exactly.

Also, it is grotesque to posit that 90,000+  children in consistent poverty is "manageable"

I agree. However nobody had personal debt in the 80's becuase nobody was being lent money in the 80's. The main area of personal debt that is the concern for many is Mortgage arrears. However I cannot see too many people being evicted frankly becuase it won't wash.

Also Sad Professor, if you want to take my comments to add to your ongoing martyrdom campaign, go right ahead.

I have been here before as many of us have. However your attitude of "look how much I feel..." is driving me around the bend. You do not have a monopoly on concern however you have cornered the market in hyperbolic statements, so for that well done.

Post #: 3222
RE: The Irish Thread! - 7/12/2010 1:15:33 PM   
Sad Professor

What part of 91,954 children living in consistent poverty in 2009 is an overreaction or martyrdom? http://www.barnardos.ie/what-we-do/campaign-and-lobby/child-poverty.html

The long term effects ie. costs of these cuts won't be full realised for a few years.

quote:

Cutting social services is often an exercise, not in reducing costs, but in recategorising them usually from a relatively cheap heading to a very expensive one. Reducing home help for elderly people shifts more of them into acute hospitals and nursing homes. Not helping a child with learning problems early on means either that the problem will be treated later when it is much worse or that it will not be treated at all, making it likely that the child will grow up to a life on the dole. Cutting drug treatment in the community means well end up doing it in prison at a multiple of the cost.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1207/1224284924417.html

The Eurostat Taxation Trends report from earlier this year said that Ireland has the 4th lowest tax take in the EU and the 2nd lowest in the Eurozone yet today you'll hear tax "experts" on the airwaves screaming foul and proclaiming that we're already beggared with ultra high taxes.

Post #: 3223
RE: The Irish Thread! - 7/12/2010 1:57:28 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sad Professor

What part of 91,954 children living in consistent poverty in 2009 is an overreaction or martyrdom? http://www.barnardos.ie/what-we-do/campaign-and-lobby/child-poverty.html

The long term effects ie. costs of these cuts won't be full realised for a few years.

quote:

Cutting social services is often an exercise, not in reducing costs, but in recategorising them usually from a relatively cheap heading to a very expensive one. Reducing home help for elderly people shifts more of them into acute hospitals and nursing homes. Not helping a child with learning problems early on means either that the problem will be treated later when it is much worse or that it will not be treated at all, making it likely that the child will grow up to a life on the dole. Cutting drug treatment in the community means well end up doing it in prison at a multiple of the cost.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1207/1224284924417.html

The Eurostat Taxation Trends report from earlier this year said that Ireland has the 4th lowest tax take in the EU and the 2nd lowest in the Eurozone yet today you'll hear tax "experts" on the airwaves screaming foul and proclaiming that we're already beggared with ultra high taxes.

Irish tax rates should never have went so low, Irish people need to realise that if you want a good public service you need to pay for it. Who would have voted for someone who said before that we were spendig more than we should and the tax revenues associated with property wouldn't last and in order to pay for public services we can't afford to lower taxes.
Keyser, the problem with personal debt is that it's already been issued. Most peoples disposable income will go towards paying mortgages (in mnay cases peoples get rich quick schemes in which they relied on selling at a profit or other what people hoped woudl be their pension) and on a national level any additional tax revenue will pay for the deal sealed by the glorified county concillors.

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 3224
RE: The Irish Thread! - 7/12/2010 7:11:06 PM   
directorscut

High School Musical??? WTF?

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 3225
RE: The Irish Thread! - 8/12/2010 9:43:43 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

I heard a few minutes of Cowen with Sean O' Rourke on the news at 1 today, he seemed fairly testy. Not something you hear all that often, I'm not sure about his presentation skills so it makes a change to hear him a bit fired up. Largely defence mode, I'd imagine.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 8/12/2010 9:44:04 PM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 3226
RE: The Irish Thread! - 9/12/2010 8:26:36 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Not only did the government put together one of the most punitive budgets, but its also just all so boring. More taxes, less services, poorer pay... yawn

This was really an opportunity to tear up the rule book and look at some things that might work in a smaller economy to get it on track. The government and mandarins are so sluggish and aim so low, that you might as well have got the candidates in the apprentice to write the budget.

Post #: 3227
RE: The Irish Thread! - 9/12/2010 7:15:24 PM   
Sad Professor

There's a resurgence in Keynesian economics vis-a-vis Labour/FG/SF looking for a stimulus.  I have a funny feeling they'll be told in no uncertain terms they cannot have any such package once whatever combination of them is "in power".

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 3228
RE: The Irish Thread! - 9/12/2010 11:53:59 PM   
simonmckergan1

This man speaks some sense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koY6kXhQDQo&feature=player_embedded

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

Post #: 3229
RE: The Irish Thread! - 17/12/2010 3:00:02 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Beverley Flynn has announced tonight that she will not be contesting the next General Election.

Possibly the best news I've heard about Irish politics all year.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 3230
RE: The Irish Thread! - 18/12/2010 11:20:35 AM   
JessFranco

How's the infrastructure holding up with the weather? I've got to fly from London to Dublin and get from Dublin to Offaly on Christmas Eve. I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

Post #: 3231
RE: The Irish Thread! - 19/12/2010 2:03:17 PM   
Woger

The west and north west seem to be worse hit. The Dublin to Offaly Road is quite a good one so you should be safe enough.
Keep an eye on these websites.
http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

- - -

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 3232
RE: The Irish Thread! - 19/12/2010 2:13:38 PM   
JessFranco

Cheers! The road warnings look a little scary at the moment but the Dublin - Offaly road is pretty decent, as a rule. One of the benefits of having an Offaly man as Taoiseach.

< Message edited by JessFranco -- 19/12/2010 2:19:21 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 3233
RE: The Irish Thread! - 19/12/2010 2:41:56 PM   
Rebenectomy

Had a quick look, but didn't see this anywhere. SO what do you think of Rubberbandits 'Horse Outside' ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

Fast become one of the most shared videos here in the north.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 3234
RE: The Irish Thread! - 19/12/2010 4:01:58 PM   
JessFranco

It's great. Not quite in the same class as Up The Ra, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBT4ZWy6Lm4

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 3235
RE: The Irish Thread! - 19/12/2010 4:14:21 PM   
Rebenectomy

George Lucas is in the Ra, I always suspected as much

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 3236
RE: The Irish Thread! - 19/12/2010 11:18:42 PM   
Sad Professor

I love how the newscasters, broadcasters, journalists, commentators, columnists and just about everyone else misses the irony between using the phrase "age of austerity" followed by talk of "consumer confidence", shopping and what have you...

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 3237
RE: The Irish Thread! - 22/12/2010 5:22:07 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Severe weather conditions are having a continued impact on our mail operations in some parts of the country. We are doing all we can to keep mail moving and delivering to customers as quickly as possible this week.

Mail collection and delivery services are operating in all areas where its safe and possible for us to do so. Where there are deliveries they will possibly be later than normal.

There are particularly difficulties in Dublin 3, Dublin 14, Garristown, Glenageary, Howth, Greystones, Wicklow, Gorey, Enniscorthy, Maynooth, Newbridge, Bantry and Skibereen.

Post #: 3238
RE: The Irish Thread! - 22/12/2010 9:18:08 PM   
Sad Professor

The people of Dublin 3, Dublin 14, Garristown, Glenageary, Howth, Greystones, Wicklow, Gorey, Enniscorthy, Maynooth, Newbridge, Bantry and Skibereen need to get with it and elect themselves some Fianna Fail and independent Fianna Fail TDs who will look after them!

Has anyone spotted anything worth watching on the TV over the next week?

Post #: 3239
RE: The Irish Thread! - 24/12/2010 11:32:31 PM   
JessFranco

I've been hearing a lot of horror stories about travel today. I was enormously lucky. Despite the fact that Dublin Airport and Heathrow were both fully operational, Aer Lingus cancelled almost all of their flights from London to Ireland. There were lads coming back from the US and Australia for Christmas stuck at the airport and, by all accounts, the situation in Dublin was even worse. Fortunately, i was flying BMI and got away with only a bit of a delay. Aside from a brief suspension when a light aircraft jack-knifed on the runway, it sounds like there wasn't a great deal wrong with things on this side - the problem, apparently, is that Aer Lingus haven't been de-icing their planes. There's some dispute as to whether it's up to the airline or the airport and nothing is moving. The airport was deserted by the time i got there - i guess everyone was told to go home and forget about flying.

The roads were pretty nasty on the way up to Offaly, but i got here in the end.

Post #: 3240
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Irish Thread! Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI