Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
C.R.A.Z.Y. - 21/4/2006 7:48:44 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 21/4/2006 7:48:44 PM   
fascist_baby

This film sounds like just the kind of thing I'm into. I've never seen a Canadian film before so it will be a new experience, but I love the style of this movie, so effortlessly poignant which sets the standard for films of the genre. Apart from the C.R.A.Z.Y David Bowie thing he's got going on I think that many people can relate to Zac and the things he's going through and I hope that this film will show what growing up is really about, darker and more honest than ever before...looking forward to seeing it!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
a real not waist of money (5stars) - 23/4/2006 7:03:28 PM   
nicksterfrench

Two years after "The Barbarian Invasions", here come another real treat from the french canadian. With a soundtrack going from David Bowie to Charles Aznavour and from Robert Charlebois to Pink Floyd, Jean-Marc Vallée manage to recreate the atmosphere of changes of two decades in this family portrait.
It is a fantastic movie and a great family portrait. If you loved Good Bye Lenin, you will love this wonderful piece of work.

< Message edited by nicksterfrench -- 23/4/2006 7:05:54 PM >

Post #: 3
C.R.A.Z.Y To Miss This Film. - 2/5/2006 4:09:13 PM   
Cruisecontroller

A great story of a guy growing up gay in 70`s Quebec with a family who don`t understand him and trying to be aceppted but free at the same time. Great soundtrack, good all round performances and period detail too.

Well worth seeing. Just a shame it has such a limited release probably because it`s in French with subtitiles. World cinema outside of Hollywood and the UK only seems to get a decent look in (well in this country anyway) when a film is nominated for several awards which this film certainly deserves. A future bitter sweet cult classic comedy in world cinema if ever I saw one!

Post #: 4
RE: C.R.A.Z.Y - 4/5/2006 1:28:34 PM   
Shawlord

Mild Spoilers

This is easily one of the most enjoyable films I have seen this year, both deeply touching without being sentimental and laugh out loud funny without making light of teenage angst and parental strife.
Marc-Andre Grondin gives an outstanding performance as Zac, the troubled teen.  His brooding look, (attributed in no small part to impressively applied black eyeliner) and understated screen prowess is affecting and engaging.  His worries and emotional quandaries are nothing new but they are explored and interlaced throughout the film in such a way that the issues never feel forced or tired.  And his rendition of Ground Control to Major Tom is a delightful treat.

Alongside Zac is his father played by Michael Cotés, a wonderfully loving man who whilst showering his sons with fatherly attention manages to maintain an air of authority and even unnerving unpredictability.  His reactions and handling of difficult situations as he comes to terms with what for him is unconventional and even defective behaviour in his son is extremely well played out, and the opposing way in which he deals with another sons dire straits in a completely different manner is an interesting element of this film.  What surprised me is how I found myself so understanding of a person whose views and moral standing goes against my own but Cotés plays such a great character that is part of such an endearing family that it is impossible not to feel for him and yearn for him to overcome the inner turmoil and do the right thing.

I also loved the mother of the family, played by Danielle Proulx.  Like her husbands taste in music (Patsy Cline) she has a little quirk of her own, ironing the toast.  And this insignificant quirk becomes one hell of an emotional trigger in the penultimate scene of this film.

As Liz stated in the Empire review, the whole cast really is given so much to work with and there isn't one character that isn't given a sense of depth.  C.R.A.Z.Y is beautifully written, vibrant in both music and visuals and compassionately directed.  Already I would love to see it again.

< Message edited by Shawlord -- 4/5/2006 1:33:44 PM >

The World is a fine place, and worth fighting for... I agree with the second part.

100 Golden Oldies Recommended by you!

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 5
RE: C.R.A.Z.Y - 4/5/2006 3:17:56 PM   
Jugglingeek

This film was great but for me the stand out laugh out loud moment was the conversation in the bathroom between the father and the mother. "you've got a short memory". Apart from A Cock and Bull Story that's the best laugh I've got from a film this year.

The drama side of it all was beautifuly played out too. It's so great living 5 mins away from the Hyde Park cinema. I see so many great films there and then come on the internet to read people complaining about how they can't see the film becasue no body is showing them.

(in reply to Shawlord)
Post #: 6
- 1/2/2007 7:49:49 PM   
moviemaniac2

E.x.c.e.l.l.e.n.t.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> C.R.A.Z.Y. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI