Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT????

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 5/5/2010 7:13:27 PM   
max314

I'm not going to feign perspective, since this is one of the defining films of my life - for better or worse Saw it as a kid, loved it to pieces. I've seen it again recently. A couple of times, in fact. And it still holds up pretty well. Still entertaining and emotional. The art direction also deserves a nod.

A biased 4/5

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Satan)
Post #: 31
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 6/5/2010 9:31:53 AM   
gordonsalive

Lazy review is right, and the reviewer obviously knows it by the absence of their name.  All I remember is loving this as a kid, Dolph was He-Man - must go and buy it now for some solid non-blurry cgi  nostalgic 80's action! 

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 32
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 6/5/2010 9:39:19 AM   
Kazuya

Forget this tired review, check out my thread in Favorite Films instead.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 33
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 6/5/2010 11:59:05 AM   
Marwood

Check out the Nostalgia Critic's review on That Guy With The Glasses - now he really tears this a new one!

I picked this up on DVD a while ago for nostalgic purposes and while it's pretty bad I see it as a total guilty pleasure. Loved it when I was a kid and still think it's better than it's rep would have you think. That said I probably couldn't give it more than two stars - and one of those is for Frank Langella alone.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 34
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 6/5/2010 12:03:50 PM   
The Hooded Man

Rancorpuppet, I dig the line about Nathan Barleys at Empire. It isn't a great film by any stretch of the imagination but it's great fun. To paraphrase Die Hard 2: Die Harder it's shit, but it's my kind of shit.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Satan)
Post #: 35
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 7/5/2010 10:47:26 AM   
DaveTheStampede

Watched this the other day, for the first time in... ooooh, years.

Is it flawed?  Yes, most definitely.  But do you know what?  It still made me smile.  Certain moments still sent chills down my spine.  Frank Langella is unfiltered awesome sauce as Skeletor, Dolph is the embodiment of He-Man (even though he would have looked better without that damn cape), and Billy Barty is far less annoying as Gwildor than Orco was in the cartoon.

This film is one of the many reasons why the 80s rock.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 36
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 7/5/2010 11:05:32 AM   
The Hooded Man

The score was magnificent and it has some iconic scenes, not least the introduction of He-Man as he looks out over Eternia with Skeletor's giant hologram in the background.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 37
RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 2/5/2012 5:33:16 PM   
Phubbs

Masters of the Universe (1987)

Oh my how delicious is this piece of 80's panto, some of the best badly adapted hokey nonsense I've seen yet somehow its so damn good

Where to start! this really is your typical fantasy film of the era, every cliche every funny little niche is here as you would expect and the funny thing is it was actually meant to be a blockbuster. I have since found out there were many problems in creating this film and it does show some what, the film is really nothing like the original He-Man cartoon in any way.

Effects wise this sorta stumbles through with some interesting ideas, some of the makeup is actually quite good, 'Skeletor', 'Beast Man' and 'Saurod' all have pretty nice makeup appliances and costumes which fit the He-Man universe. Other effects are laughably terrible with some awful bluescreen work, nasty models of which most seem ripped straight outta 'Star Wars', faded poor laser blast effects and some of the most hilariously bad stunts and fight choreography you will see. Most kicks and punches clearly (and I mean CLEARLY) don't make their intended contacts lol!

The cast are actually a mix of decent character actors which is the funny thing, some of these performances saved the film and gave it cult status. Of course Langella as 'Skeletor' is the co de gra of cheesy villains with his snarling voice and bellowing cries lusting for power. For me the best and most amusing performance was James Tolkan as the no nonsense cop 'Lubic' with his sharp tongue, gotta love that guy and his baldness.
Along for the ride is steady character actor Jon Cypher, fantasy actor regular Billy Barty, Meg Foster as the quite sexual 'Evil-Lyn' in her lovely tight barbarian-esq outfit with luscious lips (oh yeah!) and last of all Courtney Cox, yes THAT Courtney Cox of 'Friends' fame and as you would expect she's still annoying as hell even back then.

So yes the film is practically a joke with its Punch n Judy style and completely awful effects, fights etc...but it has gained allot of notoriety for just that. Even when I saw this back as a kid I knew the film bared no resemblance to the original material, it always bewildered me why the creators thought to create new bad guys when there were so many rich villains to use, who the hell was 'Blade', 'Karg' and 'Saurod' suppose to be!? where was 'Trap Jaw' 'Tri-Klops' 'Mer-Man' or 'Man-E-Faces'? the same could be said for the heroes also. Then there was the question of who on earth were all these stormtrooper type foot soldiers clad in black armour that were an idea rip from so many films!?.

I have since found out they were stuck in so 'He-Man' could kill things without becoming too violent for the kids as He-Man wasn't suppose to kill. I can see that now but it still doesn't work right does it, I can't believe Lucas never sued frankly haha even with the almost identical ending to 'ROTJ'.

Its funny to look back and laugh, even more so to think films like this actually made it to the cinema and were meant to be big money spinners hehe. I actually love how the film just goes off on its own tangent completely ignoring the source material, its so far gone its brilliant in such a bad way. Gotta love 'Skeletor's' golden coloured horned silver foil battle mask getup when he transforms at the end which seems to be a rip off from 'Big Trouble in Little China'!, the way Tolkan swears oh and the fact 'Teela' seems to be wearing a thin thong if you look closely as well kids film?.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 2/5/2012 5:39:41 PM >

(in reply to Satan)
Post #: 38
I agree this is Shit - 9/6/2012 6:57:04 PM   
CambiMan

I do not remember the film that well from when I was a child but recall being disappointed as it was not proper He-Man. This video beats it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7wOGyAzpw

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 39
i have the power!!!!!!! - 3/8/2012 9:30:22 PM   
chrisharvey1551

i treat this film as it should be. a tonge in cheek nonsense b-movie. and i actually quite like it, its not going to win awards but very easy to watch

Post #: 40
- 2/2/2013 10:44:12 PM   
ladybooger

it's pretty bad but not one star bad. i've certainly seen a lot worse films that get more stars. like cloverfield for example. i'd say a solid 3 star movie this.

Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI