Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Masters of the Universe

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Masters of the Universe Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Masters of the Universe - 21/4/2006 5:27:33 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 21/4/2006 5:27:34 PM   
Battle Angel Ryan

One star!! That's more than a bit harsh, here was a film that had it's budget pulled out from underneath it and still managed to be never less than entertaining.
Yes, it borrows from everything else but anybody who ever loved He Man must at least got some sort of buzz out of this film.
I am not saying it's great, or even good, but surely it isn't that bad.
I loved the scene where He Man is introduced with him standing with his bakc to us on a cliff watching Skeletor bradocasting his boast that Eternia is his.
Still sends a tingle up the spine.
A great score as well.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 23/4/2006 9:41:37 PM   
Miller

It was a bit rubbish wunnit? Poor Frank Langella. And Dolph, well, this was maybe the highlight of his career wasn't it. There was Universal Soldier and Rocky 4 and maybe The Punisher if you like a bit of of Pre Blade Marvel madness. But seriously one star might acshully b generous.

(in reply to Battle Angel Ryan)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 24/4/2006 9:59:44 AM   
KennyM

Maybe its because I was the worlds biggest He-man fan or my mum and dad took me to see it when I was about 5 or somethin (when was it out again?) and its one of my earliest cinema memories, I just cant help loving it. Its one of those guilty pleasures in life, and who didnt want one of the synthesisers/keys. My only complaint is that wee hairy guy, who kind of ruined it. Cant believe it only got one star. Is it available on DVD?

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 4
Please Try Again - 1/9/2006 10:56:52 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Obviously shite. Killed childhood dreams of a silverscreen He Man. Whoever thought of Gwildor should have nothing to do with movies....ever.
I wish they (them movie folk) would try again- pull off an XMen style quality film.
This film is the dreaded fate of all fanboy's dream films (e.g. Transformers)

Post #: 5
mas-ter debate - 18/6/2007 12:44:51 AM   
Judiedenchinatrench

one star !!!! pha!!
This film is a 'sh-assic' ==no way deserved of 1 star!

Post star wars 80's hokumm maybe---but this --
has more structure than most of todays cgi -induced stoge

pure nostalic entertainment bar-non

Post #: 6
mas-ter debate - 18/6/2007 12:44:52 AM   
Judiedenchinatrench

one star !!!! pha!!
This film is a 'sh-assic' ==no way deserved of 1 star!

Post star wars 80's hokumm maybe---but this --
has more structure than most of todays cgi -induced stoge

pure nostalic entertainment bar-non

Post #: 7
- 23/4/2008 3:54:59 PM   
talvinder

one stars a bit cruel. I watched it recently just for the sake of it, and well its nostalgic aint it? the effects don't look to bad, better than that piece of shit 10,000bc. the costumes and (eternia) set pieces are kinda cool. it was these kinda action movies and effects that looked good not over indulgent like some of the crap thats out there today.
its not the best movie but if you grew up with it, it still quite decent.

Post #: 8
BETTER THAN STAR WARS - 18/7/2009 3:30:37 PM   
tdw2782

Fuck The Force. Dolph has The Power. Whatever that is.

Post #: 9
ONE STAR!!! - 25/9/2009 3:21:55 PM   
Andybee76

Are you high? This is a stone cold 80's classic with a powerhouse performance from Dolph Lundgren and it has Chelsea Field (sounds like a sports arena) in it who is lovely!! And Billy Barty who is always watchable!!! And Frank Langella is excellent as Skeletor!!

I will say though Evil Lynn is a crap name for a baddie!! Sounds like she should be selling dodgy jewellery on a market stall for extraordinate prices!!!

Post #: 10
BEST FILM EVER - 10/3/2010 3:41:00 PM   
Satan

SKELETOR IS AWESUMMMM IN ITTTT. ABBBBSSSSOOOLLLUUUTTTEEELLLYYY AWESUMMM

Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 10/3/2010 3:43:19 PM   
Satan

yeah, you can get it on DVD off Play.com for 10

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 10/3/2010 3:50:34 PM   
UTB

Folks, the rating isn't based on nostalgia, it's based on the film itself.

It's fucking atrocious and you know it.

(in reply to Satan)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 10/3/2010 5:24:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Folks, the rating isn't based on nostalgia, it's based on the film itself.

It's fucking atrocious and you know it.

Sure. But it is the fun kinda awful rather than boring, or just indifferent.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 14/3/2010 11:23:37 AM   
rancorpuppet

The movie was a tying together of a 'New Gods' DC script that Golan Globus had the rights to, the He-Man toy movie licence, which they had also purchased and a vehicle for Lundgren, whom Golan-Globus had contracted to three movies.
Audience members looking for a battle cat, Orko or King Randor would be disappointed as this was based on the first few minicomics Mattel included with the figures - where He-Man is like a boy-scout version of Conan - and not the Filmation cartoon show, which introduced the idea of He-Man having Prince Adam as an alter-ego, the power sword being solely his - in the very early comics Skeletor has a power sword too - and Grayskull being the palace of Eternia and not a mystical faroff place as it is in the 'toon.
Gary Goddard provides an honest and funny commentary on the DVD, outlining that, after all, this was a kids' film - a kid's film, lazy Empire review - and so 'Predator' style blood and guts would be missing somewhat.
I think it is a fun movie, leaps into "action" straght away and, other than sci-fi-geek sniping, I don't know one He-Man fan who doesn't sneakingly love this.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: Masters of the Universe - 14/3/2010 2:27:50 PM   
Super Hans

I really need to see this film again - it was the first film I ever saw at the cinema (I think I was about 5, and my friend's parents too us to see it) but I can't remember a thing from it. I must buy it if I see it for 3 or something silly!

I should imagine it is shit really, films based on toys and such-like are rarely particularly great (with the odd exceptions of course) so I don't suppose things were much different in the 80s!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 16
RE: Masters of the Universe - 14/3/2010 2:34:19 PM   
juanvasquez

I watched it recently as it's on Sky Movies at the moment, and I really enjoyed it! I too saw it in the cinema as a youngling, so don't really remember it, but re watching it again, it was a fun 80's fantasy flick. The score aint half bad either, even though it seems like a rip off of Superman at times!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 17
RE: Masters of the Universe - 14/3/2010 8:37:40 PM   
krudler

Pffft, 1 star my arse, Langella is awesome as Skeletor in it and Lungren is perfect as He-Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 18
RE: Masters of the Universe - 15/3/2010 1:07:39 AM   
rancorpuppet

If Robert Rodriguez remade this film exactly as was - and called it an homage to eighties post-star wars action-adventure - the Nathan Barleys at Empire and other movie magazines would be crawling over themselves to kiss his ass over it.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 19
RE: Masters of the Universe - 15/3/2010 12:08:56 PM   
CORLEONE

Can't believe this got one star. 3 stars at least. Skeletor fantastic. As is Gwildor....

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to rancorpuppet)
Post #: 20
RE: Masters of the Universe - 15/3/2010 12:16:32 PM   
Tech_Noir

One star???

Masters of The Universe is superb entertainment. Looks great and the score is brilliant. Langella's Skeletor was the best 80s sci-fi/fantasy baddie since Darth Vader!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 21
RE: Masters of the Universe - 15/3/2010 3:41:34 PM   
paulyboy

One star is indeed more than a bit harsh. It's got nothing to do with nostalgia, it's a genunely fun 80's Sci-Fi romp.

3/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 22
RE: Masters of the Universe - 15/3/2010 5:21:59 PM   
lukeyboy

I stood up in the cinema and shouted "I HAVE THE POWER" at the top of my voice (at the appropriate moment of course) when i first saw this. .......It rocks!

two stars for the film and one added for nostalgia value!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Masters of the Universe - 17/3/2010 2:19:25 PM   
rancorpuppet

I doubt the reviewer has read anything of the background to this singular production, didn't realize the target audience at the time and... oh why waste any more energy on this damned lazy review?!

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Masters of the Universe - 17/3/2010 5:30:21 PM   
darth silas

ONE STAR!!! IS THIS REVIEWER CRAZY?

Masters Of the Universe is great fun.It looks great,is fun and action packed,and the score by Bill Conti is every bit as good as John Williams Star Wars music.Frank Langella is awesome as Skeletor(an outstanding acheivement considering the admittedly fake looking skull mask),Lundgren was born to play He-man and James Tolkan is hilarious as the cop.

Four stars from me.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to rancorpuppet)
Post #: 25
RE: Masters of the Universe - 18/3/2010 6:20:58 AM   
sarkark21

Great movie

http://indian-bollywood-masala.blogspot.com/

Post #: 26
RE: Masters of the Universe - 13/4/2010 6:20:54 PM   
Sutty

never a one star flick. made on a budget that can't deliver what it truly wanted to but I enjoyed this movie. I actually own it on dvd (the directors com is pretty good). It has some good idea's and I liked the sets/locations set on eternia. The cast is solid and Dolph looks the business as He-Man as does Langella as his nemisis. I find this infinately more entertaining than, say, The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones (Clones getting a 5 star review from Empire still baffles me!) and it was made about 10 years before and on a fraction of the budget, and nowhere near as big a production in terms of staff.

It is certainly a film/concept worthy of a remake, but it lays down a decent template as to how certain characters should be played i.e He-Man, Skeletor, Evil Lynn.

I like it!!

3 stars.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to sarkark21)
Post #: 27
RE: Masters of the Universe - 20/4/2010 3:06:04 PM   
iheartthetalkies

I think the review is pretty harsh. Whilst by no means a masterpiece, it was very entertaining for young children at the time - its intended audience (of which I was one!). Given the budget and production issues, I think film is very enjoyable, and classically 80s!

http://iheartthetalkies.com/

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 28
HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 4/5/2010 4:08:38 PM   
Satan

This movie is an outright masterpiece. Ignore what the cunts at empire say. It truly is a masterpiece. buy it now off the internet

Post #: 29
HOW CAN U SAY ITS SHIT???? - 4/5/2010 4:08:40 PM   
Satan

This movie is an outright masterpiece. Ignore what the cunts at empire say. It truly is a masterpiece. buy it now off the internet

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Masters of the Universe Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI