Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Back to the Future

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Back to the Future Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Back to the Future - 29/9/2010 10:15:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

You anywhere near Bristol, Shifty? 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 151
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 5:58:32 PM   
juanvasquez

Finally! The day is here!

Today has dragged! It's not showing until 8 so have to wait a little longer. CAN'T WAIT!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 152
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 7:20:25 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Also seeing it Sunday.

Ti, are you going Sunday? Might see you there!

Yeah hopefully. My brother is coming back to Bristol, so we might go see it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 153
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 7:54:28 PM   
Shifty Bench

DazDaMan- you're a legend, mate, that would have been awesome, I aprreciate the offer! And Homer, I'm away up in Scotland, the best place for me to see it would have been Glasgow........

And that is exactly where I saw it at noon today!!!!!! My mum took pity on me and gave me cash to go, she said I shouldn't expect anything for my birthday on the 11th though . It was frickin' awesome, I have seen the film so many times but that was one of the best cinema going experiences I have ever had. There were about 50 other people at the same screening and I thought I was in for a crappy time of people talking and shouting over the film. But the audience were great, they were quiet all the way through except when they laughed at the funny bits (especially Doc's expressions).

It was a great day and the new digital print looks fab

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 154
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 10:54:57 PM   
24Dan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

DazDaMan- you're a legend, mate, that would have been awesome, I aprreciate the offer! And Homer, I'm away up in Scotland, the best place for me to see it would have been Glasgow........

And that is exactly where I saw it at noon today!!!!!! My mum took pity on me and gave me cash to go, she said I shouldn't expect anything for my birthday on the 11th though . It was frickin' awesome, I have seen the film so many times but that was one of the best cinema going experiences I have ever had. There were about 50 other people at the same screening and I thought I was in for a crappy time of people talking and shouting over the film. But the audience were great, they were quiet all the way through except when they laughed at the funny bits (especially Doc's expressions).

It was a great day and the new digital print looks fab

Had the same experience!

Some of the audience even applauded when the credits started rolling! It was amazing. I could feel myself getting a wee bit emotional tho,as its my favourite film and never thought i'd see it in a cinema.

Felt so cool asking for a ticket for Back To The Future!

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 155
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 10:56:10 PM   
juanvasquez

I just got back from seeing it, and I still have a massive grin on my face

After a crappy day, this is exactly what I needed!

From the old style BBFC certificate at the beginning right through to the credits, my face was pretty much like the following:

Superb print. I obviously don't need to say how brilliant this film is.

It really has been a highlight. Loved it so much!

Film of the year!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 156
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 11:04:37 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I just got back from seeing it, and I still have a massive grin on my face

After a crappy day, this is exactly what I needed!

From the old style BBFC certificate at the beginning right through to the credits, my face was pretty much like the following:

Superb print. I obviously don't need to say how brilliant this film is.

It really has been a highlight. Loved it so much!

Film of the year!

That bit was aces. I loved it.

Took the children to see it and they both loved it from start to finish. My daughter even started some impromptu rhythmic clapping along to the song over the end credits.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 157
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 11:31:20 PM   
juanvasquez

Most of the people there were taking their kids. As did I. It was great. Yeah we've watched the DVD a gazillion times, but it was fantastic taking the kids to see it at the cinema. Might have to go again before it ends it's run.

I can but hope that they have the same plans for Parts 2 and 3. Not holding my breath but I think this is a perfect series of films and I'd love to see the others on the big screen too.

Post #: 158
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 11:35:59 PM   
James2183

What a gorgeous print. Even though I had seen the film at an independent cinema before tonight was the first time I had seen it on 'The Big Screen' and boy was it awesome. Screen 1 Oxford Vue will always hold a place in my heart now as the place where I saw the greatest film of all time the way it was meant to be seen. My audience also got clapping, although I decided to keep my appreciation silent. Fantastic cinema experience and it wont be the only time I see Back to the Future at the cinema this year. There will be repeated viewings before the end of the two week run.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 159
RE: Back to the Future - 1/10/2010 11:39:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Apparently us guys were ready for it, and our kids loved it too.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 160
BACK TO THE FUTURE - 2/10/2010 9:16:03 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Small pic I know, but Snake-Eyes has just pre-ordered this -

Should sit nicely next to the ALIEN ANTHOLOGY EGG/STATUE set 

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 161
RE: BACK TO THE FUTURE - 2/10/2010 10:08:31 AM   
juanvasquez

I thought you'd go for the Delorean edition!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 162
BACK TO THE FUTURE - 2/10/2010 10:21:34 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I thought you'd go for the Delorean edition!

well, I was tempted but I already have quite a few delorean models / toys; no need for another. I like the bits that come with this set.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 163
RE: BACK TO THE FUTURE - 2/10/2010 8:54:14 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Is that the Blu Ray set!? If so, homer is going Blu in the Nu year.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 164
RE: BACK TO THE FUTURE - 2/10/2010 8:57:25 PM   
juanvasquez

It's the limited edition collectors tin. Or something like that.

Looks awesome! Can't wait until Christmas (the wife is making me wait as she's pre-ordered it as a present).

Post #: 165
RE: Back to the Future - 14/10/2010 8:56:09 PM   
Snake-Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-CP7MaWYM&feature=related

Post #: 166
RE: Back to the Future - 9/1/2011 10:19:52 AM   
Tech_Noir

http://confusedmatthew.com/Back-to-the-Future-Part-II.php

I don't agree with the review at all but still interesting.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 9/1/2011 10:21:07 AM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 167
RE: Back to the Future - 9/1/2011 7:44:29 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I dont agree with that review either but whether you agree with that guy or not his reviews are entertaining.His rant dismissing 2001: A Space Odyssey as just ''crap floating in space'' is hilarious!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 168
RE: Back to the Future - 10/1/2011 9:26:01 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-CP7MaWYM&feature=related

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 169
RE: Back to the Future - 12/1/2011 10:31:15 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

He spent a lot of time bitching about details, but failed to notice (or at least comment on) the biggest narrative crime of the film, which is to completely ignore the last moments of the first movie, in which:

Doc Brown says 'no you and Jennifer turn out fine, we gotta do something about your kids" (Marty is far from fine in the future, so the sequel, follwing on only moments from the original is fucked narratively almost from the start)

Doc Brown says now he can travel in time, he can clean up by knowing sports results in advance. So logically, he should have been responsible for creating a screwed future (unless he was somehow doing odd bets throughout time so he remained 'incognito' but whatever, the plot should have followed what was actually said and then somehow gotten the sports almanac into Biff's hands, after perhaps longer set up, after he sees 'a flying delorean?' allowing his greed and stupidity to then complicate time)

but whatever, in the original, Doc Brown gleefully says he can clean up betting wise, then in the sequel, Marty sees the sports almanac, gets it and is told off like a naughty child by Doc brown because he invented the time machine not to win money by gambling, but to travel in time. He's acting like the idea of what is on Marty's mind had never occurred to him.

So, there is no direct narrative flow between the end of the first movie, and the start of second AT ALL. So while I don't think BTTF2 is total shit or anything, from the very start it rewrites a major character's viewpoint without any explanation. So if there are times when the film seems just slavishly following a plot and somehow feels not connected to the original tone and characterisation, that problem starts from the moment the film begins, with characterisation and previous events/statements jettisoned for the sake of plot set up, which then permeates the film, because where you start a story dictates where it is then possible for it to go.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 12/1/2011 10:38:39 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 170
RE: Back to the Future - 12/1/2011 11:22:33 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

quote:

He spent a lot of time bitching about details, but failed to notice (or at least comment on) the biggest narrative crime of the film, which is to completely ignore the last moments of the first movie, in which:

Doc Brown says 'no you and Jennifer turn out fine, we gotta do something about your kids" (Marty is far from fine in the future, so the sequel, follwing on only moments from the original is fucked narratively almost from the start)

Doc Brown says now he can travel in time, he can clean up by knowing sports results in advance. So logically, he should have been responsible for creating a screwed future (unless he was somehow doing odd bets throughout time so he remained 'incognito' but whatever, the plot should have followed what was actually said and then somehow gotten the sports almanac into Biff's hands, after perhaps longer set up, after he sees 'a flying delorean?' allowing his greed and stupidity to then complicate time)

but whatever, in the original, Doc Brown gleefully says he can clean up betting wise, then in the sequel, Marty sees the sports almanac, gets it and is told off like a naughty child by Doc brown because he invented the time machine not to win money by gambling, but to travel in time. He's acting like the idea of what is on Marty's mind had never occurred to him.

So, there is no direct narrative flow between the end of the first movie, and the start of second AT ALL. So while I don't think BTTF2 is total shit or anything, from the very start it rewrites a major character's viewpoint without any explanation. So if there are times when the film seems just slavishly following a plot and somehow feels not connected to the original tone and characterisation, that problem starts from the moment the film begins, with characterisation and previous events/statements jettisoned for the sake of plot set up, which then permeates the film, because where you start a story dictates where it is then possible for it to go.

Have to disagree with your arguments

To pick up on these points, remember the whole "You and Jennifer turn out fine but somethings go to be done about your kids" line was never meant to be a set up for a plot it was just a joke at the end of the first film. Zemeckis and Gale then had to pick up on it. The fact that Marty and Jennifer aren't doing that well and Doc telling them they'll be fine fits in with Doc's philosophy that you shouldn't know too much about your own destiny. If he tells them they'll have the problems they do it could cause even bigger ones. That or Doc is simply fobbing them off to concentrate on the matter in hand.

As for the gambling I think you may be labouring under a misapprehenison. I can't recall Doc ever saying anything about making money from betting - what  he does say is .

quote:

That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind.
I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.

All this tell us is that he's baseball fan.  The idea of making a few bucks isn't broached by Doc. It comes from the guy collecting for the Clock Tower saying he wishes he could go back to put money on the Cubs to win.

My main problem is the total waste of Jennifer's character - she was only in there because Zemeckis and Gale had her in the car at the end of the first film so they had to put her in the sequel. She could have been used so much better

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 12/1/2011 11:27:10 AM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 171
RE: Back to the Future - 12/1/2011 12:04:24 PM   
jobloffski

Okay, maybe I'm misremembering Doc wanting to gamble, and so, much of what I say would then be bollocks. BUT

Even if there was no plan to follow up on what was said at the end of the first, it SHOULD be the starting point for how you then continue if you decide to do so subsequently, particularly if technically no time passes between the end of one movie and the start of the next, and particularly if major, major major, character development for Marty in terms of his potential fate rests on the fact that he isn't okay, and it has to be (for the sake of the the plot) pointed out to Marty he isn't 'fine' in the future and has to avoid a traffic accident that costs him everything he is (musician wise) and ruins everything he ever dreamed of being.

Because that's pretty major story stuff, isn't it?

It's a time travel story, so Marty could have been fine in the future, then Biff does what he does, then the future he returns to should become chaotic as a result of his actions, Future Marty could then become the screwed up one, the time travellers could be (conveniently) protected from the changes because they're from a different point in time.

That would then possibly have led to quite a different film, but not necessarily totally so, events would have flowed directly from the end of the first film, and it would still have been the case that the solution would be to go back to 1955.

Or, Marty discovers he's not fine, argues with Doc, Doc tells him that knowing too about the future can lead to all kinds of disaster if people try to change their fate, and upset Marty has a 'You're supposed to be my friend' moment. And then we have character development, drama, the potential for throwaway gags AND as the same time the main plot element of the whole film is foreshadowed by the events being seen through character interaction, rather than just happening requiring the film to occasionally stop for direct exposition.

It's all moot of course.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 172
RE: Back to the Future - 12/1/2011 12:51:36 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Even if there was no plan to follow up on what was said at the end of the first, it SHOULD be the starting point for how you then continue if you decide to do so subsequently, particularly if technically no time passes between the end of one movie and the start of the next, and particularly if major, major major, character development for Marty in terms of his potential fate rests on the fact that he isn't okay, and it has to be (for the sake of the the plot) pointed out to Marty he isn't 'fine' in the future and has to avoid a traffic accident that costs him everything he is (musician wise) and ruins everything he ever dreamed of being.

Yeah but if Marty was simply told what was going to happen we wouldn't have had the moment in Part 3 where he saves his own future by making the choice not to race Needles away from the lights, thus not having the accident that wrecks his hand and his music career. Again it ties in with the cocnept of not knowing too much about his own destiny and the future being what he makes of it.  By rising to Biffs taunts of "Chicken" in part 2 he exacerbates the situation, jeopardising the "correct" future even more than it has been already. He's no better as an adult either, he allows Needles to goad him itno doing something stupid (fraud of some kind perhaps?) and he gets fired as a result.  By the end of Part 3, Marty matures enough  to secure his own and Jennifer's future. Isn't that more satisfying than if he was simply told by Doc "Enjoy your new truck but don't get into any drag races or you'll crash and fuck your career before it's even started"?. There's a whole character arc there that would be lost if Doc or indeed Jennifer, had warned him.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 12/1/2011 10:47:08 PM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 173
RE: Back to the Future - 12/1/2011 2:27:57 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

Don't think this has been posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnqtXOi1iaY
Sorta meh.

I could watch Back to the Future anytime, anywhere, on anything (although that Blu-ray is very appealing).
God damn you guys were lucky to get that re-release. Aint jack-shit in Aus.

< Message edited by TheFuzz_1989 -- 12/1/2011 2:28:49 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 174
RE: Back to the Future - 31/1/2011 12:03:28 AM   
Mr Grady

Has anyone else thought that if Doc hadn't been reminissant about when he fell and hit his head on the sink that Marty would have witnessed the birth of Christ?

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 175
RE: Back to the Future - 31/1/2011 1:00:59 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

Has anyone else thought that if Doc hadn't been reminissant about when he fell and hit his head on the sink that Marty would have witnessed the birth of Christ?

I'm trying to think of a response to this other than 'Duh!'

(just messing Mr. G)

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 176
RE: Back to the Future - 1/2/2011 12:38:55 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

I had seen the film at an
quote:

Perhaps accidently running over a wise man, and changing the story forever, a la the Lone Pine Mall.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 177
RE: Back to the Future - 3/2/2011 1:59:59 PM   
Kingseany

quote:

Well actually Marty would have ended up in the American West at the time of Christ's birth.  The time machince could only travel through time not space.  Bethlehem is a long way from Hill Valley.  Marty would have most likely starved to death.  Either way it is a very different film.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 178
RE: Back to the Future - 3/2/2011 3:49:30 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingseany

quote:

Well actually Marty would have ended up in the American West at the time of Christ's birth.

This is very true. Since I was a kid I had thought about Doc changing the date just in time, I never thought about the whole 'different place' thing. It's just because Doc says 'or witness the birth of Christ', it sort of stuck in my brain. I'm sure that's what Mr. Grady was thinking of too. 

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 3/2/2011 3:51:46 PM >

(in reply to Kingseany)
Post #: 179
RE: Back to the Future - 8/2/2011 2:01:18 AM   
Mr Grady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingseany

quote:

Well actually Marty would have ended up in the American West at the time of Christ's birth.  The time machince could only travel through time not space.  Bethlehem is a long way from Hill Valley.  Marty would have most likely starved to death.  Either way it is a very different film.

Thanks for that, seriously.  What a stoopid head i have, of course time not space.  Duuhhh

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to Kingseany)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Back to the Future Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI