Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Back to the Future

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Back to the Future Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Back to the Future - 1/10/2005 12:06:14 AM   
James2183

You know it was coming! 

Marty McFly helps out his friend Doc Brown and ends up being taken back in time by Doc's time-machine. Marty, a boy of the 80's, has to come to grips with being in the 1950's whilst also trying to get his parents to fall in love to set straight the damage his presence has done to the events of the past to fix the future.

The story is brilliant and can appeal to both young and older audiences with its time travel storyline which has been a dream for everyone at some point in there life and the story flows so well it couldn't be done much better.

As well as this the acting is superb. Lloyd plays Doc Brown brilliantly (both in the past and 1985) and is his greatest role to date whilst also giving one of the best scientist visions on film. Thomas Wilson nails the perfect stereotypical bully but is also likeable in a funny kind of way. Glover and Thompson shine as high school sweethearts and there is real chemistry between them and play their alternate futures brilliantly

Marty McFly has to be the coolest kid of the 80's too, with his tight denim jeans and Nike classics, riding around on a skateboard clung to the back of trucks, it doesn't come much cooler than that.

The dialogue is great with each scene giving the audience the exposition they need along with making the characters more rounded and a there are so many quotable lines from them you could spend all day repeating them.

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit”

Then we have the small set pieces which interlink with the past so well.

"Chuck. Chuck. It's Marvin - your cousin, Marvin BERRY. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well, listen to this.”

The film is timeless and will still be as fresh in 20 years time. Although the sequels were not as brilliant as the original they were a valuable edition to my greatest film of all time.

< Message edited by James2183 -- 1/10/2005 12:07:53 AM >

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch
Post #: 1
RE: Back to the Future - 23/1/2006 12:10:26 PM   
James2183

"Let's see if you bastards can do 90!?"

Currently watching it again on Sky Movies at the moment. God damn I love this film.

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch
Post #: 2
RE: Back to the Future - 27/1/2006 7:10:09 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

"Nobody..... calls me........ch *SMACK*"

BTTF Pt2

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 – June 15, 2008

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 3
RE: Back to the Future - 28/1/2006 2:22:14 AM   
Katamarang

Maybe you were adopted?

I have to see the third one again I haven't seen it in years and it was the first one I saw. Just watching the first one now.... these films truly rock!

It's so funny I'm haemorrhaging inside.

http://www.savethetivoli.co.uk/
please help save my local cinema cheers

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 4
RE: Back to the Future - 28/1/2006 7:01:15 PM   
Zaphod121

I'd have to say that all three films are classics, it seems that usally trilogies have one that let's it down.
e.g Scream Tri- Scream 3, Indy Tri- Temple of Doom,Star Wars OT- well for that I'll make an exception,
but you get my point all the BTTF films are fantastic, personaly Part II is my fav

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Katamarang)
Post #: 5
RE: Back to the Future - 28/1/2006 7:27:17 PM   
Memoirs of Maria

Well, Back to the Future made No 20 in the recent 201 poll. This is great news. I have to say that the third film was the weakest in my point of view, the first film being my favorite.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 6
RE: Back to the Future - 29/1/2006 7:48:06 PM   
Mojo

Its on Sky Movies now and I just watched the hilarious scene where Marty is at the dinner table of his mother's house. Its so funny, as the parents say things like "Do I know your mother?" or "If hope you never have children like that" (or something similar). Quality writing.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Memoirs of Maria)
Post #: 7
RE: Back to the Future - 29/1/2006 10:04:18 PM   
Memoirs of Maria

Damn Mojo we must of been watching it at the same time! Back to the Future is the ONLY film I will watch on repeatedly you know. I'm more into watching new films than re-watching old ones, but if I'm in the mood for a re-run nothing beats Back to the Future!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 8
Back to the Future - 29/1/2006 11:27:01 PM   
MF DOOM

One of the few movies that I can watch a hundred times + and still enjoy it as much as the first time. There are many family movies out there but this is the ultimate one in my opinion and if there is something close to perfect than this is it.

"History is a lie agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
Post #: 9
RE: Back to the Future - 1/2/2006 5:27:50 PM   
~Angel~

Fantastic! Gets better every time i watch it! And how cool is Marty!!!!!!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 10
RE: Back to the Future - 1/2/2006 5:51:49 PM   
directorscut

Time to dust off an old write-up:

Back to the Future is in my ten top favourite films list. I grew up on the film and watched it many, many times. Although I've only started to compile lists of favourites in the last five years, I can tell you that Back to the Future has been a favourite of mine since I began watching films. Yet unlike other films from my childhood that I outgrew in terms of taste (or realised that they were simply rubbish), Back to the Future is a film that gets better as I get older.

Why is this film so good? For one the script is excellent. It is a perfectly constructed script with an intriguing premise that is used to its full potential. It has distinct and well-rounded characters and the dialogue between them sparkles. Small details are set up and are paid off with intelligence that satisfies the viewer and deepens the experience. The plot is deceptively simply, but it is cleverly and intricately put together and has many twists and turns. The time travel science is believable in the context of the film's reality and is actually a lot of fun. The film is also very economical. There isn't a gratuitous scene in the film (on the DVD commentary Zemeckis says the Johnny B. Goode scene is, but I believe it to be the defining scene for the character). I wouldn't be surprised if this script is considered one of the modules for comedy script writing in years to come.

The film's characters are portrayed by actors who are perfectly cast, which brings the most out of them. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd create a, memorable duo in Marty and Doc Brown. Although we never hear the back story of their relationship, through subtle scripting and wonderful work between Fox and Lloyd we do get a great sense of their friendship, which develops over the course of the film and through the timeline. The supporting cast (especially Glover, Thompson and Wilson) fill out the film extremely well and in both their eighties and fifties selves.

Zemeckis' direction is assured but not flashy. In his later films he had a tendency to show a few too many directorial flourishes, but in Back to the Future he merely finds the best angle for a shot and allows the story to shine and the actors do their thing. He is silent behind the camera, yet in total control of the proceedings. The comedy never feels forced and the drama never gets overbearing. The pace is perfectly set; the film never gets dull or loses focus of the story.

The story allows Zemeckis and Gale to delve into two key eras of twentieth century American suburban life – the Reagan eighties and the Cold War fifties. The film shows that despite the usual cosmetic changes over time, the eras were similar in many ways. Many have criticised the film for its apparent promotion of consumerism. In the end Marty gets the truck he wants. This is simply a statement of the times. Consumer culture wasn't just an eighties thing, it is still around us and has been around us since television went mainstream and the government wanted commodities to become attractive purchases for people in order to restart the economy after WWII. I'm sure George McFly would also love to have a car, but he doesn't have one because of the culture context in which he lives.

The score is another fantastic element of the film. I'm not a huge fan of Silvestri's – most of his scores sound the same and are usually the weakest element of Zemeckis' films with him. The main theme is the best and most memorable thing he has ever done. I simply cannot imagine the film without it. The score provides the film with the bombast that is not visible on the screen. The film is a small one, with simple shots and simple action scenes. The music adds a great deal of excitement in the action scenes and is also quite moving in the right places.

Back to the Future took the box office by storm in 1985 (inflation-wise we're talking Lord of the Rings numbers). It did so simply by fantastic word-of-mouth. The film has become even more popular over the years and is possibly one of the few mega-successful films that didn't suffer a backlash. It is a Christmas institution on TV (I can't remember a year when it hasn't been shown over the holidays). I have personally seen it more times than one would consider healthy. I believe Back to the Future is as fresh today as the day it was made. No matter how many times I see it I laugh. No matter many times I see it I pick up on something new. And no matter how many times I see it I'm still on the edge of my seat when Marty races towards the electro-current line. That is the sign of a great film.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to ~Angel~)
Post #: 11
RE: Back to the Future - 1/2/2006 6:42:43 PM   
MrsAri

Brilliant. Three of my very favourite films since childhood.

"You wrote that world doesn't need a saviour but everyday I hear people crying for one."

My Sam Mendes fansite

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 12
RE: Back to the Future - 1/2/2006 8:24:21 PM   
Memoirs of Maria

Directorscut, what an awsome review/opinion. I agree with you 100% I watched it just the other day, and as you say, it gets better with time. It's my favorite film, and it's a shame it didn't get a better position in the 201 " best film ever" poll.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 13
RE: Back to the Future - 1/2/2006 8:38:45 PM   
Mr Grady

'Is that liquer i smell.  I would'nt know what liquer smells like cause i'm too young to drink it'

'What's this homework Tannen.  No it ain't homework cause like i ain't at home'

Some great lines.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to Memoirs of Maria)
Post #: 14
RE: Back to the Future - 9/4/2006 11:17:56 PM   
James2183

Time for a 1.21 Gigawatts bump! 

Favourite moments anyone? Are you a "Johnny Be Good fan" or a Doc sliding down the wire kinda person?

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 15
RE: Back to the Future - 9/4/2006 11:51:23 PM   
Castor Troy

I'm a 'skateboard under the car' man myself, although the Johnny Be Good scene is immensly satisfying.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 16
RE: Back to the Future - 10/4/2006 8:55:44 AM   
Tech_Noir

Ah Back The The Future, that special film... who's reputation was nearly damaged when that lame boy band tried to exploit Marty's good name. Bastards!

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 17
RE: Back to the Future - 10/4/2006 9:06:32 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Is that what those pre-teen idiots named themselves after? Sacrilege!

Just saying the words "Johnny Be Good" gets me in the mood to watch it again

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 18
RE: Back to the Future - 10/4/2006 9:09:22 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Is that what those pre-teen idiots named themselves after? Sacrilege!

Are these the guys that went to the year 3000, "where nothing's changed but they all live underwater"? Or was that another teenie boy band?

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 10/4/2006 9:11:48 AM >

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 19
RE: Back to the Future - 10/4/2006 9:41:08 AM   
James2183

That was Busted. Sadly both have tried to use the greatness of BTTF to help their music careers. I said tried. 

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 20
RE: Back to the Future - 10/4/2006 12:33:25 PM   
Ant_1971

BTTF is just an incredibly clever film and it just works on so many levels......stellar cast, wonderful script and great direction.......Bob Zemekis, i salute you!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 21
RE: Back to the Future - 10/4/2006 9:16:53 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

"Lorraine, if you have kids like that I'm gonna disown yer"

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Ant_1971)
Post #: 22
RE: Back to the Future - 11/4/2006 11:51:31 AM   
steffols

OH, Im going through a Back to the Future thing at the moment.  Brilliant films, Christopher Lloyd is great, as he is in everything he does IMO.  Michael J. Fox is such a great actor, its a shame he wasnt more influential in the 90's.  We did get to see his magic in Spin City though, and thats good enough for me

One of the best and one of my favourite actors of all time.

Does anyone remember the cartoon?

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 23
RE: Back to the Future - 11/4/2006 4:45:30 PM   
linkacid

I love BTTF none of the them are disapointing,there all great films.

Snyder: "I can smell trouble anywhere its like a sixth sense."
Giles: "No I believe thats one of the five."

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 24
RE: Back to the Future - 11/4/2006 4:51:52 PM   
Timon

What more can one say. A perfect franchise.

"When this baby hits 88mph, you're going to see some serious shit."

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to linkacid)
Post #: 25
RE: Back to the Future - 11/4/2006 4:59:26 PM   
linkacid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

What more can one say. A perfect franchise.

"When this baby hits 88mph, you're going to see some serious shit."

Snyder: "I can smell trouble anywhere its like a sixth sense."
Giles: "No I believe thats one of the five."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: Back to the Future - 13/4/2006 12:28:39 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

Does anyone remember the cartoon?

I would love to see what thats like

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 27
RE: Back to the Future - 13/4/2006 2:42:50 PM   
Emyr Thy King

It is a great film, thoroughly deserves the title of being 'perfect'. It is, there's nothing wrong i can pick on when it comes to the trilogy. As for favourites..it is tough. The first film set the standard and introduced us to the concept of time travelling, the DeLorean (pure genius - i love the sound!), meeting your parents, paradoxes etc! The second showed us a future, which still holds up to scrutiny today, unlike many films bar Blade Runner. The 'Skyway' idea is brilliant, hover boards were cool (go go Mattel!), the Jaws hologram was ace, the flying cars and costumes were crazy. I'd say first

"It's the car right, chicks love the car"

Oh wait...wrong film  

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 13/4/2006 2:44:06 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 28
RE: Back to the Future - 13/4/2006 3:11:40 PM   
PedroSanchez

It truly is one of those rare films. Perfect in every single way.

''What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?''

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 29
RE: Back to the Future - 25/4/2006 7:57:29 PM   
Mobin

Great films! My favourite is the first and the best scene has to be the skateboarding scene (1+2!).

"Listen Lady, If we don't get these people to a hospital they're going to die"
"A Hospital...................What is it?"
"A big building full of patients but that's not important right now!"
(Airplane)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Back to the Future Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI