Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Top Review Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top Review - 26/4/2006 6:14:25 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silent_Bee

Before I begin.. there are alot of you who are reading this thinking "Ok, I never seen the game, but my friends say it's the scariest thing ever!"
And then again, there are those of you (bless 'em!) who played the games to death and have been waiting to see it, but want to read on what people think of it!
I just got back from watching the film this afternoon, and i must say, as with playing the game.. get a couple of friends in and watch a LATE showing in a GOOD cinema (one which is very dark, has NO chavs, and excellent sound etc).
I am going to describe this review firstly to a person who maybe hasn't seen or played the games. Here i go!
Rose and Christopher adopted a girl named Sharon, Sharon is ill and needs help. HEr medication isn't working and she has bad bouts of sleep-walking and mumbling and shouting out words in her sleep.
Her condition is worsening, and after Sharon shouts again the words Silent Hill, Rose decides that this place holds some sort of key to unlocking their daughters pain.
Rose takes Sharon to Silent Hill. Without the concent of Christopher.
During the journey to this abandoned town, things become more and more strange... Suddenly, they crash...
Rose wakes in her car, finding that Sharon is missing from her seat. And so Rose looks for her in the direction of Silent Hill. And things become very nasty...
Well, thats the plot layed out for you right there. The Plot is entirely confusing later on in the film. So don't go expecting some kind of "SIXTH SENSE" kind of reality twist, but SO expect the Sixth Sense's way of telling a story.
The character Sharon has a dark connection with Silent Hill, and eventually Rose will find out that their innocent adopted daughter isn't so innocent after all!
Or is she?
From the beginning, the film is slightly haunting. Always making you wonder who is doing what, and why. And it is very interesting to watch the characters in these situations. The acting is quite believable aswell, and essentially the main point of them is to be good enough to journey with them throught out this 2 hour story!
I found that the characters were well chosen and had wonderful reactions to the enviroments and events in the film. However, there are some things, as with most films, that make you think "Nah, maybe she should of said something funny there...". And in fact, most of the time you will wonder why they don't question enough or why they are alone there anyways!
But that's all part and parcel of the movie! Lord of the Rings this AINT, and that is a marvellous thing for me. Personally, like when Bruce Lee died, I never wanted another Bruce Lee! And so the past 30 years of Hong Kong cinema has been a bit of a waste ;)
What I mean is, because there are SO many similar films these days, it's nice to have something different to watch!
When you think of films such as House on Haunted HIll, or The Dark, or Hide and Seek.. they all have their typical scares, typical "he's behind you" kind of scares.. you know, cheap scares and jolts which just make it fun to have your friends around...
What people may not like about this film is that they are expecting a shock-fest. Silent Hill is not about providing theme-pak scares or anything of the sort. It's about luring you into this world of his.. and letting you go when IT want's you to!
From the get go, things aren't very happy. The story is quite sad, and horrific in most parts. It is intriguing to watch these characters do what they do. However, a normal horror flick this isn't, which is what may dissapoint people here...
Ultimately, if you are looking for a film to scare the heck out of you and your'e mates, then don't go and see this, go and see The Dark or something with some cheap scares thrown into the attraction. Silent Hill is definately disturbing, and it will have your'e heart racing at certain points, it's just not the kind of film people are expecting it to be.
Effects are absolutely awesome. I usually see films and say "wait, thats CGI.. thats a model.. thats not really there.." and it takes away the illusion completely. Silent Hill, in my view does NOT EVEN ONCE take you away from it's illusion. It keeps luring you in. Which is why the two hours may drag for some, but then can seem enjoyable for others, of they aren't taken in from the beginning, then there is no hope that by the time the half way mark is reached, that they will find an improvement.
And infact, the second half of the film is where it's a bit... different.
The search is always on, but then when you've found it.. what do you do with it? And the direction and pacing of thie film COULD of been improved slightly... not by cutting down the time of the film, but generally showing us the point of all this stuff! Giving us more to think about.
Really, my only problem with the film is that since going into the church and seeing this underground cult movement, your whole perception of the eerie monsters and things are taken away with just figuring out who the heck they are. And i feel that the less the film had to show, the better.
But thats just me.
A particularly good scene is when Rose meets the "janitor" monster, only one monster.. but a very terrifying scene indeed. Proving that the less you have, the more intriguing it is.
Right, and now for you gamers!
Im a MASSIVE Silent Hill fan, probably the biggest there is. (hah, only kidding), I feel rather a lot of nostalgia from the Orginal game (from which this film is based upon) and essentially this is why I enjoyed this film so much.
In the game, as you gamers would know, you exploer a lot, shoot a bit, and get un-nerved, a LOT.
You will be extremely pleased to know that the film completely replecates the games.
For fans of silent hill, you know what this means. It means the film has complete respect for the game. Sticks to its plot, sticks to its look. And heck, the entire musical score is from the games' too!
This is an extremely faithful re-telling of Silent Hill. And one i wish that the original game cleared up upon. I mean this literally, it is the perfect story to go next to Silent Hill.
For example, put resident Evil game next to Movie... A radical difference in shots, ar-work, scenes, characters, music.. heck even the zombies aren't even the same.
This isn't some scary film with the Silent Hill nme on it, it IS Silent Hill through and through. Wierd dialogue, religious talk near the end.. freaky monsters, exploration, meeting strange characters...
Everything is faithfully re-told. Heck, now you can guess what the Next-Gen Silent Hill games' would be like! it is THAT faithful to the game.
But whether you think that is a good thing... is entirely different.
The game was good because you were forced to go down that dark corridor yourself.. and you were forced to take 3 hours wandering round the town needlessly.. whether you think this it good to WATCH is another thing entirely aswell!
Because the game is SO close to film, and vise versa.. it is difficult for the audience to figure out what is good for a game, and what is good for a film..
The game wasn't even that special. It was simply the creepiness, the sounds, the places you went to that made it more of an exploration horror game, than a shooter etc.
But as a film, there aren't any films like the Silent Hill game around!
Sure, people say "hey, it was freaky, but not as scary as Silent Hill!".. they would only say that because SIlent Hill is in it's own world. But having gone to see Silent Hill the Movie, people would just turn around and say "Yeah, it's freaky but it's not freaky like Silent Hill".
Because it's a film, it HAS to wap up things much quicker. As you all know, SIlent Hill is wierd, cryptic in places, and genuinely disturbing. As a film, it is the same, except you are watching it.

All i have to say really is, as a fan, i am extremely pleased with it. Its a wonderful piece of work. Everyone i seen who saw it loves the style and the shots and the photography. But they always say "hmm.. what was it about though?"
It simply doesn't take you on a wild roller-coaster of sequences like most people expect it to. But then again, neither did the game!
The ending is pretty awesome, but again, audiences leaving the cinema won't really talk about it like "WOAH! Bruce Willis was dead after all that?!" they would more or less be saying "So.. the janitor... what he do again?" and that's about it.
It's a wonderful story by the way, if it had been told differently ALA RESIDENT EVIL MOVIE, it would be crap! But because Silent Hill holds such mythology, and is unique to anything out there today, it is exactly this which makes it a different kind of film.
Think Star Wars mythology for example, Star Wars ended on a climax explosion "we WON!" kind of thing, then that was that.
With Silent Hill, there is closure, but it is still open for more Mythology. Which is why I liked this film so much. It never reveals absolutely everything to you, and in the end Silent Hill is still a pretty freaky place.
Here's hoping a sequel is in order, and that everyone who worked on this one does it again. But also learns from their mistakes!
Now that this introduction to Silent Hill has been placed down, it would be awesome to have some more stories told about it. Expanding the freakiness of Silent Hill.
The only thing missing from the Movie really was a UFO ending!!
But heres hoping an alternate ending can be done for a DVD release, so that it would be a TRUE telling of Silent Hill! haha

Well, it took me a while to write down my thoughts..
I just hope that you go and see this film with an open mind. It's not a film which wants to scare you purposefully, it's just freaky and if you are easily scared, you will be terrified of some of the things in this.
But because of the nature of the film, it's not it's plan to do the stereotypical things like make the monsters a threat, kill the monsters and all that stuff..
You just have to understand Silent Hill, not why they didn't do this, and do that...
One thing I do urge you to think about is this- When Vincent Says to Heather in Silent Hill 3..
"They look like Monsters to you?"...

Brilliant write up. Made for a very good read.

(in reply to Silent_Bee)
Post #: 151
Silent Press Screenings!?! - 26/4/2006 6:30:23 PM   
burgessappleton

I was just thinking. Why do you think they didn't allow for earlier previews for the press etc...!?! I could understand if the film was totally crap, for example, the Avengers. I read on another website that Silent Hill had got to the top of the American box office and they mentioned that Sony Pictures had decided not to show any press screenings as a publicity stunt. Something which they had done for other previous horror releases. Does anybody think this is the case?
Whats Empires view on not getting an early press screening???

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 152
RE: Silent Press Screenings!?! - 26/4/2006 6:54:25 PM   
Ell

This has to be the most loyal of game adaptations to the source material I've ever seen (despite the protagonist being female instead of a bloke); the monsters, the location, the setting, the soundtrack (which was cracking), everything about it remained true to the classic PSone game. As a result this led to a dark, gritty and chilling film that I enjoyed a fair bit. The only problems I had with it at times was the dialogue and Sean Bean's bad American accent. Other than that, a worthwhile visit to the cinema. 3.5/5

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

Post #: 153
Far superior to what was expected - 26/4/2006 8:39:48 PM   
Juggernaut

Just watched this a few hours ago and I have to say it was really good. I always prefered playing Silent Hill to Resident Evil so it's good to see it's far better than it's competition in film version too. The atmosphere was brilliantly recreated from the piano/clanking industrial score to the excellent use of scenery to recreate the different worlds from the game. You could complain that the story is somewhat confusing but as anyone who's actually played any of the games will know that's just part of its inherent charm. If you've experienced the games you'll like this film but you don't have to have a familiarity with it to enjoy the film. It's surprisingly visceral as well especially at the climax which made a nice change to the usual "no we can't do that" approach that seems to be so popular in modern cinema.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 154
RE: This guy wrote Pulp Fiction?! - 26/4/2006 9:06:47 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Aurens

After really enjoying Gans' earlier 'Brotherhood Of The Wolf' and being enticed by the trailer and website for 'Silent Hill', I expected better. Whilst scarily good and truly cinematic in the production and sound design, it really does betray its videogame roots in all other areas, especially music and dialogue. its hard to believe this was written by a 'Pulp Fiction' scribe, did Roger Avery just take the money and run on this one? Strewth! the story just plods along from one clue to another until we finally get to the very contrived and confusing payoff. And how the hell did the lady cop survive such a beating with large metal instruments from three burly men only to find herself being burnt alive for no particular reason?

It was genuinely disturbing and vile in many parts, yet this is let down by not really explaining things like why the little girl was regarded as a witch, who her mum was and why the religious nut villagers were so scared of them? I guess when it comes down to a story that makes sense and any excuse for gruesome violence, the violence wins out

I'm sorry; but your "review" angers me.

All the thungs you don't understand; they're in the film.
Why did the villagers regard Alessa as a witch? Because they were led to believe so by Christabella; they were reviled by the fact that Alessa's mum didnt conceive through a father.

Who was Alessa's mum? Er....Dahlia.
As for the beating Cybil received and how she survived the initial onslaught??!?!?! What a trite point on which to criticise the movie!!! You didn't witness the extend of the beating because the camera pans out at that point; she could have sustained unthreatening blows to her "non-vitals"...!!!

And as for the story not being explained!!!! I suggest next time you watch a film you dont go and take a number 2 in the loo at the crucial moment in the film

Sheeesh...

"Get out of my way, I'm fabulous"

(in reply to El Aurens)
Post #: 155
RE: Sharon & The Janitor!?! - 26/4/2006 9:09:13 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: nevergreen

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkwonders

quote:

ORIGINAL: burgessappleton

And whats that about the end? What are you trying to say about the ending? My personal opinion is that there dead, I can't see it meaning anything else. Is this what your hinting towards?

yup. that's exactly what i'm saying. Cause if you notice the car crash at the beginning, the car flipped on its side. Yet when Rose wakes up, the car is upright, and not even a scratch on it. Also Cybil had a nasty cut on her head, but didn't notice anything about it until she was told.

*SPOILERS*

Personally, I didn't think they were dead!  Hmmmm.  Interesting!

Do you then think that Sean Beans' side story was also being played out within this purgatory?  If not, would the police and Sean Beans' character not of found both Sharon and Cybil's bodies on the roadside on first entering Silent Hill? 

Sean Bean's character remains in the real world so their paths never cross. They find Rose's car but it's empty. Perhaps they were "spirited away" at the moment they died??!?!

(in reply to nevergreen)
Post #: 156
RE: Sharon & The Janitor!?! - 26/4/2006 9:14:22 PM   
maffew

yeah...but it really was all a bit too vague..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 157
Tarantino - 26/4/2006 9:15:15 PM   
Hartigan

As much as I liked this film, it proved to me that Tarantino truly is the better writer. Roger Avary is good with his imagination don't get me wrong, he comes up with great scenes like many of the ones in this and "The Gold Watch" story in Pulp Fiction, but as a writer he's not that good, his dialogue is too cliche. Much of what was good about Silent Hill was the direction and imagry, Christopher Gans is to thank for that.

An old man dies, a little girl lives. Fair trade

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to rickstar00001)
Post #: 158
RE: Silent over the hill - 26/4/2006 9:17:10 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: shoddyshogun

A film which has to stop before the final act and explain itself by means of a poorly-contrived cine-film sequence has, in my opinion, failed in its primary objective - to tell a story.
Dig beneath the glossy cg footage and you find a tale not at all dissimilar to Clive Barker's 1987 gore flick Hellraiser minus the puzzle box which at least provided a little exposition. Pit the pair against each other in a demon duke-out and my money's going to be on Pinhead every time.

Well how thoughtful.

As to the "glossy cg footage"; there was none. Well, the cgi used was minimal so clutch another straw dude.

And, please, for the sake of the many Silent Hill fans who relish the richness and ambiguity of the story it has to tell and secrets it has to reveal; don't EVER mention Silent Hill and Hellraiser (God help us) in the same line.

It doesn't reflect good on you.

And you've only had one post on here? Fascinating.....

(in reply to shoddyshogun)
Post #: 159
RE: Tarantino - 26/4/2006 9:25:38 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartigan

As much as I liked this film, it proved to me that Tarantino truly is the better writer. Roger Avary is good with his imagination don't get me wrong, he comes up with great scenes like many of the ones in this and "The Gold Watch" story in Pulp Fiction, but as a writer he's not that good, his dialogue is too cliche. Much of what was good about Silent Hill was the direction and imagry, Christopher Gans is to thank for that.

I have to correct you here (as I do!)

In an Interview with Roger Avar and C Gans (I forget the source); Roger was saying that very little dialogue takes place in the film, and where it does; although they tried to mimic the style in the games; they couldnt because......the dialogue in the games was terrible (Avary's words, not mine. But I entirely agree; SH3 onwards; the dialogue is fine though).

Anyway, he said that Christophe Gans loves his bombastic speeches whereas Roger prefers a more subtle tone; they went for Christophe's OTT style; hence the dialogue was as much Christophe's as Roger's.....

(in reply to Hartigan)
Post #: 160
RE: Tarantino - 26/4/2006 9:34:16 PM   
Hartigan

I stand corrected, thank you. But I stand by my opinion that the script is a little weak but now I will not hold Roger Avary responsible by himself.

An old man dies, a little girl lives. Fair trade

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 161
RE: Tarantino - 26/4/2006 10:01:33 PM   
Timon

Jody, you obviously seem to know your stuff regarding Silent Hill and although i just saw it i did find the recap of events at the end a mite confusing. My main question is....

How did Alessa become pregnant? She was severly burned all her life. If 'Sharon' was her child then she must have given birth 8 years hence....and how was that remotely possible for her in her condition?

Also, the fact that she simply became evil because all her bitterness and anger built up inside her...well...that was a bit convienent. It would have made more sense if Christabelle was actually RIGHT about her, it was just her fanaticism that drove Alessa to evil....

Besides those two points, it was a solid film. Great atmosphere for the first half, gripping tension...it was just let down by the final act where everything just felt....undernourished.

< Message edited by Timon -- 26/4/2006 10:02:44 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 162
Simply horrible (but not in a good way) - 26/4/2006 10:56:04 PM   
iantho

I went to see this with an open mind and reasonable expectations (having read the Empire review). I enjoyed the Resident Evil franchise (although it's not without its limitations) so I expected to enjoy this.

Well, I truly was horrified, but sadly it was the film's utter failure to horrify that was so upsetting. There was no character or plot development to speak of, a hackneyed script and hammy acting. Sean Bean's 'american' accent was laughable, as was the lamentable overuse of barely adequate CGI, presumably in a feeble attempt to hide the ludicrous plot developments and laborious story-telling techniques employed over the oh-so-slow running time.

You may have noticed by now that I was immensely disappointed. Enough said.

Post #: 163
RE: Simply horrible (but not in a good way) - 26/4/2006 11:08:26 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: iantho

I went to see this with an open mind and reasonable expectations (having read the Empire review). I enjoyed the Resident Evil franchise (although it's not without its limitations) so I expected to enjoy this.

Well, I truly was horrified, but sadly it was the film's utter failure to horrify that was so upsetting. There was no character or plot development to speak of, a hackneyed script and hammy acting. Sean Bean's 'american' accent was laughable, as was the lamentable overuse of barely adequate CGI, presumably in a feeble attempt to hide the ludicrous plot developments and laborious story-telling techniques employed over the oh-so-slow running time.

I'm sorry, was anybody listening to this person?

I was too busy laughing my lungs out when I reached the point about QUOTE: "I really enjoyed Resident Evil....but Silent Hill's script was hackneyed".

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

oh God....make it stop.....

(in reply to iantho)
Post #: 164
RE: Tarantino - 26/4/2006 11:22:22 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Jody, you obviously seem to know your stuff regarding Silent Hill and although i just saw it i did find the recap of events at the end a mite confusing. My main question is....

How did Alessa become pregnant? She was severly burned all her life. If 'Sharon' was her child then she must have given birth 8 years hence....and how was that remotely possible for her in her condition?

Also, the fact that she simply became evil because all her bitterness and anger built up inside her...well...that was a bit convienent. It would have made more sense if Christabelle was actually RIGHT about her, it was just her fanaticism that drove Alessa to evil....

Besides those two points, it was a solid film. Great atmosphere for the first half, gripping tension...it was just let down by the final act where everything just felt....undernourished.

The Alessa thing; we've been discussing this on the board, and what others have suggested, which makes good sense, is that Alessa's good nature split from the burned Alessa around the time that she "turned evil" and took in the demon entirely.
It's important to remember that Alessa always was a "witch"; although she was essentially a good person, reviled (or more accurately; feared) by the cult.
When she was burned, she turned her powers against them, and burned them too.
She never died as such due to her immortality but lived in a semi-conscious state and was forced to suffer terrible nightmares and pain for years as a result of her injuries; this fed hatred and evil in her heart over time; in the games, this created a "breeding ground" for the demon to grow; the demon or "god" would hear the suffering of mankind and would only return when suffering was too much; Alessa being a deity as such (she was born with the demon's seed); represented this pain and suffering and the demon gained power in this way; hence the moment Alessa finally reflects back all the pain and hatred onto the town; her "good self" escaped the town, and was left in the form of a baby at the roadside; she was subsequently taken and raised in the orphanage and eventually adopted by Rose and Christopher as Sharon.

I'm pretty sure that Alessa, in her desperate nature, called out to her other self, Sharon, and this is why Sharon suffered from her psychosis and desire to return to her roots.

Hope this helps!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 165
RE: Tarantino - 27/4/2006 12:55:41 AM   
darkwonders

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The Alessa thing; we've been discussing this on the board, and what others have suggested, which makes good sense, is that Alessa's good nature split from the burned Alessa around the time that she "turned evil" and took in the demon entirely.
It's important to remember that Alessa always was a "witch"; although she was essentially a good person, reviled (or more accurately; feared) by the cult.
When she was burned, she turned her powers against them, and burned them too.
She never died as such due to her immortality but lived in a semi-conscious state and was forced to suffer terrible nightmares and pain for years as a result of her injuries; this fed hatred and evil in her heart over time; in the games, this created a "breeding ground" for the demon to grow; the demon or "god" would hear the suffering of mankind and would only return when suffering was too much; Alessa being a deity as such (she was born with the demon's seed); represented this pain and suffering and the demon gained power in this way; hence the moment Alessa finally reflects back all the pain and hatred onto the town; her "good self" escaped the town, and was left in the form of a baby at the roadside; she was subsequently taken and raised in the orphanage and eventually adopted by Rose and Christopher as Sharon.

I'm pretty sure that Alessa, in her desperate nature, called out to her other self, Sharon, and this is why Sharon suffered from her psychosis and desire to return to her roots.

Hope this helps!

Yeah. That is what I've been saying too. Sharon is the good part of Alessa. If you played the game, sharon would be the equivilant to heather.... though i haven't played the first game, so i'm not sure what all happened.... I really should go out and buy the first game...

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 166
Simply Silent Brill - 27/4/2006 10:25:17 AM   
burgessappleton

quote:

Well I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but there seems to be a few opinions on this forum which read quite simular. This person above 'iantho' registered yesterday and has only made one post which is also the post above. I've got a feeling this is the same person creating different Empire accounts just so they can slate the film for some strange reason. Making it look like more people aren't diggin the film. 

There are another few of these people in this topic that have only just registered and only posted one post. Maybe these people are just all one person...
Anyone else agree??? 

(in reply to iantho)
Post #: 167
RE: Simply horrible (but not in a good way) - 27/4/2006 12:33:52 PM   
iantho

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_jody

quote:

I'm sorry, was anybody listening to this person?

I was too busy laughing my lungs out when I reached the point about QUOTE: "I really enjoyed Resident Evil....but Silent Hill's script was hackneyed".

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

oh God....make it stop.....

Hey 'the_jody'. When you quote someone you should probably try to be accurate. When I said I enjoyed the Resident Evil franchise, there was no 'really' in that sentence. I also said it is not without its limitations. So don't make it sound like it was my favourite film or something. I was actually quite disappointed that it wasn't more faithful to the source material, but at least it moved along at a decent pace with its tongue-in-cheek, and I did enjoy it a lot more than Silent Hill.

I guess Silent Hill was more disappointing because on paper it had better credentials: a decent director (I really like "Brotherhood of the Wolf"), a decent cast, a good budget, etc. Since there was already a large fan base eagerly awaiting its release, I just think it should and could have been better.

Maybe I was a bit harsh giving it 1 star. There's obviously loads of supporters out there (and in this forum). The IMDB rating is nearly 7.0 which I was quite surprised by. Even so, I think I'll stay with the minority of disappointed filmgoers.

Still, at least you liked it - that's all that matters isn't it?!

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 168
RE: Simply Silent Brill - 27/4/2006 12:37:50 PM   
iantho

quote:

Well I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but there seems to be a few opinions on this forum which read quite simular. This person above 'iantho' registered yesterday and has only made one post which is also the post above. I've got a feeling this is the same person creating different Empire accounts just so they can slate the film for some strange reason. Making it look like more people aren't diggin the film. 

There are another few of these people in this topic that have only just registered and only posted one post. Maybe these people are just all one person...
Anyone else agree??? 

Hey burgess. Rest assured I've only got one account and this is it. I only just got round to re-registering on the site since they revamped it. Silent Hill just gave me some motivation to do it! I've subscribed to the mag for years so I'm no film newbie - just haven't posted much yet.

There could be someone using loads of accounts to make it look like more people are dissing the film, but that seems like a really sad waste of time to me...

Post #: 169
Simply Silent Brill - 27/4/2006 1:53:30 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

quote:

Anyone else agree??? 

Hey burgess. Rest assured I've only got one account and this is it. I only just got round to re-registering on the site since they revamped it. Silent Hill just gave me some motivation to do it! I've subscribed to the mag for years so I'm no film newbie - just haven't posted much yet.

There could be someone using loads of accounts to make it look like more people are dissing the film, but that seems like a really sad waste of time to me...

Hehee! Fair enough iantho. Although you are sure this is your only one account!?!    Only teasing... 

(in reply to iantho)
Post #: 170
RE: Simply Silent Brill - 27/4/2006 2:00:40 PM   
Taylor7

Was there in point in Sean Beans' Character?

Join the JJ against Gyllenhaal revolution:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 171
RE: Simply Silent Brill - 27/4/2006 3:38:07 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taylor7

A lot of people are taking the 'no point of seans character' side. However, I think it helped towards the story. But then again maybe his character raises more questions...!?! My opinion is that he doesn't detract away from the pacing of the movie as much as some people make out he does.

(in reply to Taylor7)
Post #: 172
RE: Simply horrible (but not in a good way) - 27/4/2006 6:17:49 PM   
wesker

quote:

Hey 'the_jody'. When you quote someone you should probably try to be accurate. When I said I enjoyed the Resident Evil franchise, there was no 'really' in that sentence. I also said it is not without its limitations. So don't make it sound like it was my favourite film or something. I was actually quite disappointed that it wasn't more faithful to the source material, but at least it moved along at a decent pace with its tongue-in-cheek, and I did enjoy it a lot more than Silent Hill.

Yeah, the jody's kind of managed to irritate and insult most of the people in this thread with his arched sarcasm and way-over-the-top conceit.

Not the kind of Silent Hill fan I want in my corner. I liked the film but understand why others would not.

(in reply to iantho)
Post #: 173
RE: Simply horrible (but not in a good way) - 27/4/2006 7:49:30 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: wesker

quote:

Yeah, the jody's kind of managed to irritate and insult most of the people in this thread with his arched sarcasm and way-over-the-top conceit.

Not the kind of Silent Hill fan I want in my corner. I liked the film but understand why others would not.

Fine, I can take the criticsm. I'll honour your opnion just like I do everyone else on this board, good, bad, neutral. The only time I raise someone's comments is when they are being blatently insulting and get the facts completely wrong. Simple as that.

Incidentally, in exactly whose authority do you state that I "irritate and insult others"? Even if others believe this is true, why should your opinion on this be gospel?

For your info, I have never set-out to insult others, but if I do become saracstic, then I'm only mimicking the originator's tone too. An eye for an eye or wotever.

As for your  QUOTE:  "I liked the film but understand why others would not."; please don't patronise me with your self-righteousness. I don't need the predjudice of being regarded as a narrow-minded twit who can't see the other side of the coin. If you can back up a reason as to why the film was bad for you, fine, I respect that.
But if the best you can come up with is "Well Resident Evil was really good, but Silent Hill's script was CRAP", then expect a backlash.  

Lots of love,

J x

(in reply to wesker)
Post #: 174
RE: Simply Silent Brill - 27/4/2006 7:55:56 PM   
the_jody

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taylor7

A lot of people are taking the 'no point of seans character' side. However, I think it helped towards the story. But then again maybe his character raises more questions...!?! My opinion is that he doesn't detract away from the pacing of the movie as much as some people make out he does.

I agree! I went to see the film having heard all the rumours about Sean's "tacked on" character, and wasn't expecting much. Despite his weird accent (!), he actually was really important in the film to explain things; he interacted with Officer Gucci who had a lot of backstory; he went to visit the orphanage where Sharon was taken in, etc... they definately chose to filter a lot of crucial plot details through him, which was interesting

Post #: 175
- 27/4/2006 8:06:27 PM   
untidydubs

I'm a little concerned with many of the queries arising with regards to this rather excellent film. I guess being a fan of the games really does help, eh?

Post #: 176
RE: - 27/4/2006 8:08:20 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: UntidyDubs

I'm a little concerned with many of the queries arising with regards to this rather excellent film. I guess being a fan of the games really does help, eh?

How do you mean?

(in reply to untidydubs)
Post #: 177
RE: RE: - 27/4/2006 8:47:39 PM   
untidydubs

Well, going by what I've been reading on here, it seems that people with a previous knowledge of the whole Silent Hill ethos got a hell of a lot more out of the movie. I for one am one of these people. I loved it to bits. My guess is that a second viewing for a lot of people may change some harsh judgements.

You win again, gravity!

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 178
RE: RE: - 27/4/2006 9:35:17 PM   
iantho

quote:

ORIGINAL: UntidyDubs

Well, going by what I've been reading on here, it seems that people with a previous knowledge of the whole Silent Hill ethos got a hell of a lot more out of the movie. I for one am one of these people. I loved it to bits. My guess is that a second viewing for a lot of people may change some harsh judgements.

Hey Untidy. I think you're right. I've played a lot of Resident Evil games over the years, and completed a couple quite recently, so I guess that helped me to enjoy the films (despite the fact they drifted from the original storylines quite a bit). I've only played a bit of Silent Hill 2 so I'm not too familiar with the story. That probably didn't help - maybe I'll watch Silent Hill again on DVD later and things will fall into place a bit more?!

(in reply to untidydubs)
Post #: 179
RE: RE: - 28/4/2006 1:06:56 AM   
Silent_Bee

This is my second post now, so i guess im out of that whole "one post, nasty person" kind of conspiracy ;)
Im glad some of you liked my review!

I have been waiting for this film for YEARS. I was also eagerly awaiting Resident Evil. But for me, the movie of that is in a completely different franchise. As in, it supplied to a new audience, for example with the soundtrack etc.
For me, when Silent Hill comes out on DVD, i hope they make the time to do a 2 or 3 disc special edition, commentaries, makings of, what was cgi and what wasnt stuff, cast commentary, alternate endings like a ufo ending and things like that really. Oh and i hope they make it in a nice box to go next to the games! Silent hill the movie will PROUDLY sit next to my games!

Hey, did any of you guys, after watching the film (those of you which liked it) get the urge to get ur butts to a local toy store and pick up a Silent Hill figure?
I certainly did! Almost every popular game movie, (alien vs predator...!!! LOADS of figures... Tomb Raider etc) had some form of merchandise! Silent Hill?? Except posters... that's all!
I would of been absolutely chuffed to of gotten a wonderful pyramid head figure in a display stand with great knife, a couple of bugs and a lady to skin! ;)

I think maybe merchandise would of made the whole Silent Hill movie experience a little better you know. I just hope NECA or Mcfarlane makes some figures of it some day. The new look of pyramid head is awesome, and a nice box set figure of the janitor in the bogs.
But hey, i guess im a bit too much of a fanatic! HAHAH

The Jody, i don;t think you are annoying anyone. If anything, what is annoying is people coming on here saying things like "film probably was the worst film i have ever seen, director couldnt direct his was out of a paper bag.. didn't enjoy it, awful!".. you know, nothing constructive to say at all.
I feel that if you have a problem with the film, and want to let others know, then DESCRIBE what you mean! Not just slag it off!. If you say things like "other films are far better".. say WHY? Or even admit "KONG IS KING!" ;)

When i wrote my typo-filled review, i thought it was going into a review section and not a forum thing! Oh well, guess thats another thing people didnt expect this silent hill thing to be !

< Message edited by Silent_Bee -- 28/4/2006 1:10:38 AM >

(in reply to iantho)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Top Review Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI