Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Silent Brill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Brill Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent Brill - 23/4/2006 8:15:17 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

I went to watch this movie last night expecting something not quite like what I was presented with. What I got was an incomprehensible story about witches in an imaginary ghost town populated by odd CGI murtants. The set design was great; I'm not disputing that, and the music was good and atmospheric and whatnot. The rest of it though, the rest was just bunk. It wasn't scary for one. It didn't make much sense. The characters were all one dimensional, which isn't surprising given it was based on a computer game. Also it felt as if I was watching a friend of mine play the game over his shoulder or something. I kept wanting to wrestle the pad out of the hands of the chav on the seat in front of me so I could help Radha do something constructive. As for the bike copper, well, they found the body beautiful to play that one didn't they eh?   
The truth is, Gans deserves to be better served than with tosh like this and hopefully his next prject will be a little less flat than this was. 3/5, just or the set design, though if it wasn't for that and the music; I might have given it a two.

It was Gans idea to do the film. He was the one to secure the rights. Okay?

Hooray! You talk so much sense! It's good to see there are people like you to set the record straight burgessappleton

Incidentally, for those who thought the ending was over the top, violent and cruel; I have to say that since Gans (as he has always said) wanted to mimic the feel and development of the game; teh big "showdown" was rather akin to the final battle in SH 3. Once again, he was true to his word on that.
Plus, the final scenes were bound to be climatic given the story that was building up througout the film; if it were a story more akin to the SH2 game, then we would have had a far more subdued, poignant ending. Incidentally, this was losely based on the first game which was more action oriented.
Besides; I think Gans created a fair amount of pathos in the film;

SPOILERS!

Cybil dying in dignity; Anna's brutal punishment for assisting the "outsiders"; even the evil biatch who got her cummupence; Christabella; all these deaths left a lump in my throat...

If you're furrowing ur brow....um...I'm quite emotional as it goes

"Get out of my way, I'm fabulous"

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 121
Silent Hill - 23/4/2006 8:25:23 PM   
rich

Firstly, best videogame film ever? Yes. But not that good as a film in its own right I thought. It had great moments, but there were too many bits when I was just waiting for the sirens to start ringing. Sean Bean's sections were total filler, there needed to be more monsters etc. There were no drain pipes put to use on creatures, bah. It was all fairly interesting to watch, but it wasn't creepy or exiting enough. The whole 'birthing of god' plot from SH was absent too which I would have liked. Also there was far too much shouting of "she's a witch! burn her!", it was like Monty Python at times. The game mechanic of "oh a clue, move from point A to point B" should never be put to film either. But still, I want to see it again, the dark world sections were rather impressive and that finale was pretty amusing.

< Message edited by Rich -- 23/4/2006 8:31:45 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 122
RE: Silent Brill - 23/4/2006 9:14:59 PM   
Miller

That's fine by me. I thought maybe Gans had taken this gibberish on board so he could fund something with a little more oomph. It looked to me like the sort of film an imaginative director might take on board (See Jeunet and Alien 4) as a stop gap between more interesting projects. I was wrong. Essentially what this means to me is that Gans fucked up. Hopefully he'll do a better job of picking his next project. Okay? Also, poor Sean Bean. At least he got paid eh?

< Message edited by Miller -- 23/4/2006 9:16:28 PM >

Post #: 123
RE: Silent Brill - 23/4/2006 9:22:30 PM   
Miller

Seriously. Pathos? Where on earth did you see any pathos in this? I didn't see any. It was total bunk. Brotherhood of The Wolf, now that was a good film. This looked great, but was totally cack. I don't know the games that well; which means I'm quite objective about this movie. I saw the advert and I thought, hmmm that looks interesting. Honestly, I felt cheated when I watched it. What was that all about, I thought. The head in the boat scene in Jaws scares me more and that's after about a thousand different viewings of the thing? I reckon the games'll be good. In fact, I'm sure they are, but this sort of thing just plays bad on film...

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 124
RE: Silent Brill - 23/4/2006 11:18:35 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Seriously. Pathos? Where on earth did you see any pathos in this? I didn't see any. It was total bunk. Brotherhood of The Wolf, now that was a good film. This looked great, but was totally cack. I don't know the games that well; which means I'm quite objective about this movie. I saw the advert and I thought, hmmm that looks interesting. Honestly, I felt cheated when I watched it. What was that all about, I thought. The head in the boat scene in Jaws scares me more and that's after about a thousand different viewings of the thing? I reckon the games'll be good. In fact, I'm sure they are, but this sort of thing just plays bad on film...

You're quite patronising aren't you?

You're entitled to your opinion just as much as I am.

And for me the film was superb.

And the pathos; suggest you try and watch the film next time rather than look at the advert and thinking "that looks interestinnnnng..."

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 125
Not scary! - 23/4/2006 11:54:30 PM   
VincentHanna

Never played the game so can't comment on how faithful to the game this is.

Bad things.....erm, not at all scary. Plain and simple.

Good things.......it looked bloody fantastic. The production design really was something else.
And the use of CG effects was unlike anything I've seen in a while.
The story started off well, plenty of mystery, started to lose it towards the end as things were made clearer.

Still, not a particularly bad film. And I did like the ending.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 126
The Worst - 24/4/2006 11:31:17 AM   
ziggyells

I have never made the effort submit a review before and am unlikley to in the future. But to protect everyone and their hard earned cash, I urge everyone NOT to go and see this pile of cack. It is undeniably the worst film I have seen in a very long time. (And I've seen some shit !!) You were constantly waiting for something interesting to happen and it just meandered along to its dull conclusion. Please do not go and see this !!!!!!

Post #: 127
The Worst - 24/4/2006 3:26:47 PM   
ziggyells

I have never made the effort submit a review before and am unlikley to in the future. But to protect everyone and their hard earned cash, I urge everyone NOT to go and see this pile of cack. It is undeniably the worst film I have seen in a very long time. (And I've seen some shit !!) You were constantly waiting for something interesting to happen and it just meandered along to its dull conclusion. Please do not go and see this !!!!!!

Post #: 128
RE: The Worst - 24/4/2006 4:42:53 PM   
sroey

I saw the film on Friday with my girlfriend. Initially I thought it was very creepy but as it went on I think i got a little bored with it. Rhada never seemed to be in much danger. To me it didnt seem that long a film with Seans subplot being a bit too distracting.
The best thing about the whole film is Pyramid Head. When we first see him I thought he looked bloody brilliant. A real hulk and that frickin sword was bigger than him! I never played the games, so dont understand why he wasnt used as a primary villain. I wasnt really interested in anything else about the film. I just wanted to see old triangle head tear stuff apart! Thankfully he has one of the greatest OMG kills Ive seen for a while.

Never saw it coming and it made me cringe! Great stuff!

rest of the film is ok, just not really scary enough...I say that as I was expecting something very scary! Should try not to go into a film with too many expectations...

3 and a half stars - the extra half star is for Pyramid head and THAT kill

(in reply to ziggyells)
Post #: 129
RE: A lesson in imagination - 24/4/2006 7:14:54 PM   
Merly

The film is flawed but I enjoyed it. Really really did. Loved the set design and Pyramid Head was awesome

Definitely had a weak script and some shaky performances but I just enjoyed every minute of it.

However for some reason the atmosphere reminded me of that crazily awful film Thirteen Ghosts. Not sure why ?!

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 130
RE: A lesson in imagination - 24/4/2006 7:23:56 PM   
Merly

Oh yeah and I must be the worlds biggest wuss cos I thought it was scary. Oh yes.....oh yes I did

I mean Pyramid Head just totally freaked me out. That was some seriously wierd shit. I was gonna write dude on the end of the sentence then realised I'm not a stoned hippy

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 131
RE: The Worst - 24/4/2006 8:41:06 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: ziggyells

Oh please. What a wind-up merchant. You never made the effort to submit a review before and are unlikely to in teh future, but you just had to review this?
A-HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Call that a review?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Well you cheered me up

Word of advice; best stick to not reviewing anything else.....ever......the world would be a far safer place if you didnt.........

(in reply to ziggyells)
Post #: 132
RE: It kinda helped! - 25/4/2006 3:19:53 AM   
darkwonders

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_jody

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

i think what i was dissapointed about with this was the end...that tacked on 'explanation' and i wanted the end to just be her descent into hell, and just pile on the really bad stuff...as she was going down in the lift, i really hoped it would get really gritty and horrible...like you know the last crusade? like that, but with demons and evil and melty walls and pyramid head..wouldn't that have kicked ass??

I think the explanation helped slightly, maybe it could have been inserted some else!?! I don't know... But without it the film would be left open to even more confusion and more questions to be asked. It explained who Sharons mother was and who the father was (Janitor). It kinda disturbed me to know the Janitor raped the girl and Sharon was the result.

Excellent point about the Janitor being the father of Sharon!! I hadn't thought about that but it certainly fits.

I 'm still not sure of why Sharon, being Alessa's child, was exactly the same in looks (presumably, being the result of the rape, Sharon wasn't just a reincarnation); also, how did Alessa birth Sharon in her bed-ridden state, and when was it that Lisa Garland (Nurse) who took her to safety at the roadside??
Also; I'm racking my mind trying to understand why, after burning Alessa alive; the cult/other townfolk; kept Alessa alive in the hospital. Surely it can't be for the same reason that they kept her alive in the original game (which was for the purpose of conjuring Samael, their deity)!!

Please, if anyone has any ideas.....

If you payed attention closely... the janitor was not the father of sharon. Alessa was far to young to even conceive a child... Sharon wasn't the child of Alessa. She was Alessa. She was the little bit of good left in Alessa. And I think Alessa's mother was the one that took the good Alessa to the orphanage. Hence why Sharon was so inclined to go to silent hill because the rest of her was already in silent hill. Oh and I think that sharon and Alessa(the one that said she had many names) combined in the end because they looked right at each other and the next moment sharon and her mother awake. Oh and if anyone is wondering about the ending... there is an explanation... I'll give you a hint... just watch the car crash at the beginning of the movie. and remember how the car ends up. Then look at it when Rose wakes up. You should be able to come to a conclusion...

< Message edited by darkwonders -- 25/4/2006 3:23:27 AM >

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 133
Silent Brill - 25/4/2006 6:33:56 AM   
burgessappleton

quote:

I have made no effort in writing this review and am unlikley to make an effort in a review in the future. But to protect everyone and their hard earned cash, I urge everyone NOT to go and see this pile of cack. It is undeniably the worst film I have seen in a very long time. (and I've seen some poo !!) There was no Chavs for starters and I didn't see one product placement for Kwik Save. You were constantly waiting for something interesting to happen and it just meandered along to its dull conclusion. Please do not go and see this !!!!!!  Bring back Dick and Dom in Da Bungalow.... 

Funny that ziggyell's first 2 posts are negative and poorly writtern. If your comments are going to mean anything to people you need to not come across as too childish. Are you sure you've seen this film? Are you old enough to see it?
From your mini (and a tad childish) review/ views I get the impression your about 15 - 16 years old, you went to see Silent Hill but they turned you away because you look about 13!?! Maybe thats why your so bitter? 

< Message edited by burgessappleton -- 25/4/2006 6:50:10 AM >

(in reply to darkwonders)
Post #: 134
Sharon & The Janitor!?! - 25/4/2006 6:35:59 AM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkwonders

quote:

quote:

quote:

i think what i was dissapointed about with this was the end...that tacked on 'explanation' and i wanted the end to just be her descent into hell, and just pile on the really bad stuff...as she was going down in the lift, i really hoped it would get really gritty and horrible...like you know the last crusade? like that, but with demons and evil and melty walls and pyramid head..wouldn't that have kicked ass??

I think the explanation helped slightly, maybe it could have been inserted some else!?! I don't know... But without it the film would be left open to even more confusion and more questions to be asked. It explained who Sharons mother was and who the father was (Janitor). It kinda disturbed me to know the Janitor raped the girl and Sharon was the result.

Excellent point about the Janitor being the father of Sharon!! I hadn't thought about that but it certainly fits.

I 'm still not sure of why Sharon, being Alessa's child, was exactly the same in looks (presumably, being the result of the rape, Sharon wasn't just a reincarnation); also, how did Alessa birth Sharon in her bed-ridden state, and when was it that Lisa Garland (Nurse) who took her to safety at the roadside??
Also; I'm racking my mind trying to understand why, after burning Alessa alive; the cult/other townfolk; kept Alessa alive in the hospital. Surely it can't be for the same reason that they kept her alive in the original game (which was for the purpose of conjuring Samael, their deity)!!

If you payed attention closely... the janitor was not the father of sharon. Alessa was far to young to even conceive a child... Sharon wasn't the child of Alessa. She was Alessa. She was the little bit of good left in Alessa. And I think Alessa's mother was the one that took the good Alessa to the orphanage. Hence why Sharon was so inclined to go to silent hill because the rest of her was already in silent hill. Oh and I think that sharon and Alessa(the one that said she had many names) combined in the end because they looked right at each other and the next moment sharon and her mother awake. Oh and if anyone is wondering about the ending... there is an explanation... I'll give you a hint... just watch the car crash at the beginning of the movie. and remember how the car ends up. Then look at it when Rose wakes up. You should be able to come to a conclusion...

But was Sharon not a baby when she was taken to the orphanage?  I think I got mixed up somewhere, hehee! And if your right, what is the Janitors relavance to the story??? I'm proper confused now  
And whats that about the end? What are you trying to say about the ending? My personal opinion is that there dead, I can't see it meaning anything else. Is this what your hinting towards?

Post #: 135
RE: Sharon & The Janitor!?! - 25/4/2006 9:37:17 AM   
untidydubs

When it came to The Janitor, I just took all that as an aspect of Alessa's revenge. Judging by her explanation toward the end, and Colin's brief appearence in there, it was suggested that Colin had taken advantage of her in some form (I'll back that up by the sound of crying in the cubicle).

As for Sharon being a baby when she was taken to the orphanage: that one remains open for discussion. Going by the games, when Alessa formed the 'good' side of herself, it was in the form of a baby that she hands to Harry (or was it Henry? I always get the guys from the first and fourth games mixed up ). Of course, the main question plaguing my mind is not one that I've noticed crop up on here yet, and that is why Sharon is only as old as she is. The plot indicated that Alessa's tragedy happened around thirty years before, and yet Sharon only appeared to be around the age of ten. Unless Alessa had been in the hospital for around twenty years, which is the only explanation I can conjur.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Hi to everyone!

You win again, gravity!

Post #: 136
RE: Sharon & The Janitor!?! - 25/4/2006 12:59:15 PM   
darkwonders

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But was Sharon not a baby when she was taken to the orphanage?  I think I got mixed up somewhere, hehee! And if your right, what is the Janitors relavance to the story??? I'm proper confused now  
And whats that about the end? What are you trying to say about the ending? My personal opinion is that there dead, I can't see it meaning anything else. Is this what your hinting towards?

yup. that's exactly what i'm saying. Cause if you notice the car crash at the beginning, the car flipped on its side. Yet when Rose wakes up, the car is upright, and not even a scratch on it. Also Cybil had a nasty cut on her head, but didn't notice anything about it until she was told.

Post #: 137
RE: Uwe Boll, Take notes - 25/4/2006 4:57:24 PM   
shiny mouse

I went to see Silent Hill with some trepidation, took a friends 16 year old daughter with me (her first cinematic horror experience) and really enjoyed it. We've enjoyed paying the games (esp. the first two) - or t'would be more true to say Ive played them and she's watched them amidst offering to make tea at scary bits! On consideration I'd have to say that if film fans haven't seen the games they may find the film less than satisfying, there's no substitute for recognising oddly familiar places.
Sirens producing gut reactions and " oh, crap" from both of us probably just wouldn't have happened without our game history.
    It's fair to say the film hasn't stuck with me  but I'm hoping now that Silent Hill 2 is to be fast approaching  - keep this director, as resident evil adapt does stay with me, but only in the way that you'd remember a really bad takeaway. Lets have Sean Bean as the man in Silent Hill - promise you: a male lead is the way to go and I agree that the plot is ready made, pretty much from the game - but Sean --- look to your accent, it needs work! 

it's a dangerous business, going out of your door...

(in reply to ollie_jones)
Post #: 138
RE: It kinda helped! - 25/4/2006 8:10:38 PM   
the_jody

[/quote]
[/quote]

SPOILERS!

Interesting stuff; yeh it makes perfect sense that they all died in the car and Cybil on her bike; then they ended up in a sort of Purgatory before Cybil was taken away during her second "death".

But I don't agree with what you say about Sharon being just the good side of Alessa. The original Alessa (before she was burned) was around in the 70s. Even Christopher says in the film that she would be in her 40s in the present time. Plus the dark Alessa (the demon that took on the form of Alessa and led Rose all over Silent Hill) pojnts to the bloody bed where Alessa was confined after the burning and says "Sharon is her daughter". So that makes it pretty clear. It's not a far leap to guess it could have been the Janitor that impregnated her. Given the surreal nature of the film and the extraordinary powers Alessa has, it's perfectaly feesible that she conceived even at her young age.

Anyway; that's how I see it

Post #: 139
RE: Silent Brill - 25/4/2006 8:13:19 PM   
the_jody

quote:

quote:

I have made no effort in writing this review and am unlikley to make an effort in a review in the future. But to protect everyone and their hard earned cash, I urge everyone NOT to go and see this pile of cack. It is undeniably the worst film I have seen in a very long time. (and I've seen some poo !!) There was no Chavs for starters and I didn't see one product placement for Kwik Save. You were constantly waiting for something interesting to happen and it just meandered along to its dull conclusion. Please do not go and see this !!!!!!  Bring back Dick and Dom in Da Bungalow.... 

Funny that ziggyell's first 2 posts are negative and poorly writtern. If your comments are going to mean anything to people you need to not come across as too childish. Are you sure you've seen this film? Are you old enough to see it?
From your mini (and a tad childish) review/ views I get the impression your about 15 - 16 years old, you went to see Silent Hill but they turned you away because you look about 13!?! Maybe thats why your so bitter? 

Ok, THAT was funny

Post #: 140
RE: Silent Brill - 25/4/2006 8:25:11 PM   
aldaboss

This might be a stupid question but where do you think PH fits into everything?

My god is a boob

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 141
RE: Silent Brill - 25/4/2006 9:56:03 PM   
Gazz

In Silent Hill 2 PH was punishing James because in his own sub concious James believed he deserved to be punished. The hazy background to the PH figure himself is that he used to be the executioner of the condemned. In the movie I believe he is there to serve out the cults punishment. Why not many people have figure this is beyond me

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 142
RE: It kinda helped! - 26/4/2006 12:43:10 AM   
darkwonders

quote:

SPOILERS!

Interesting stuff; yeh it makes perfect sense that they all died in the car and Cybil on her bike; then they ended up in a sort of Purgatory before Cybil was taken away during her second "death".

But I don't agree with what you say about Sharon being just the good side of Alessa. The original Alessa (before she was burned) was around in the 70s. Even Christopher says in the film that she would be in her 40s in the present time. Plus the dark Alessa (the demon that took on the form of Alessa and led Rose all over Silent Hill) pojnts to the bloody bed where Alessa was confined after the burning and says "Sharon is her daughter". So that makes it pretty clear. It's not a far leap to guess it could have been the Janitor that impregnated her. Given the surreal nature of the film and the extraordinary powers Alessa has, it's perfectaly feesible that she conceived even at her young age.

Anyway; that's how I see it

since Alessa does have extraordinary powers, it is also quite possible that the good part of allessa wasn't removed for a long time. It is more likely this to happen than the janitor being the father. You should realize this because of the logic you used. The Janitor raped Alessa when she was a little girl, yet sharon couldn't possible be born that late. So it's still more likely that Sharon is the good part of Allessa that was "born" from her when she felt it was the right time.

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 143
Game or Movie? - 26/4/2006 1:34:00 AM   
Silent_Bee

Before I begin.. there are alot of you who are reading this thinking "Ok, I never seen the game, but my friends say it's the scariest thing ever!"
And then again, there are those of you (bless 'em!) who played the games to death and have been waiting to see it, but want to read on what people think of it!
I just got back from watching the film this afternoon, and i must say, as with playing the game.. get a couple of friends in and watch a LATE showing in a GOOD cinema (one which is very dark, has NO chavs, and excellent sound etc).
I am going to describe this review firstly to a person who maybe hasn't seen or played the games. Here i go!
Rose and Christopher adopted a girl named Sharon, Sharon is ill and needs help. HEr medication isn't working and she has bad bouts of sleep-walking and mumbling and shouting out words in her sleep.
Her condition is worsening, and after Sharon shouts again the words Silent Hill, Rose decides that this place holds some sort of key to unlocking their daughters pain.
Rose takes Sharon to Silent Hill. Without the concent of Christopher.
During the journey to this abandoned town, things become more and more strange... Suddenly, they crash...
Rose wakes in her car, finding that Sharon is missing from her seat. And so Rose looks for her in the direction of Silent Hill. And things become very nasty...
Well, thats the plot layed out for you right there. The Plot is entirely confusing later on in the film. So don't go expecting some kind of "SIXTH SENSE" kind of reality twist, but SO expect the Sixth Sense's way of telling a story.
The character Sharon has a dark connection with Silent Hill, and eventually Rose will find out that their innocent adopted daughter isn't so innocent after all!
Or is she?
From the beginning, the film is slightly haunting. Always making you wonder who is doing what, and why. And it is very interesting to watch the characters in these situations. The acting is quite believable aswell, and essentially the main point of them is to be good enough to journey with them throught out this 2 hour story!
I found that the characters were well chosen and had wonderful reactions to the enviroments and events in the film. However, there are some things, as with most films, that make you think "Nah, maybe she should of said something funny there...". And in fact, most of the time you will wonder why they don't question enough or why they are alone there anyways!
But that's all part and parcel of the movie! Lord of the Rings this AINT, and that is a marvellous thing for me. Personally, like when Bruce Lee died, I never wanted another Bruce Lee! And so the past 30 years of Hong Kong cinema has been a bit of a waste ;)
What I mean is, because there are SO many similar films these days, it's nice to have something different to watch!
When you think of films such as House on Haunted HIll, or The Dark, or Hide and Seek.. they all have their typical scares, typical "he's behind you" kind of scares.. you know, cheap scares and jolts which just make it fun to have your friends around...
What people may not like about this film is that they are expecting a shock-fest. Silent Hill is not about providing theme-pak scares or anything of the sort. It's about luring you into this world of his.. and letting you go when IT want's you to!
From the get go, things aren't very happy. The story is quite sad, and horrific in most parts. It is intriguing to watch these characters do what they do. However, a normal horror flick this isn't, which is what may dissapoint people here...
Ultimately, if you are looking for a film to scare the heck out of you and your'e mates, then don't go and see this, go and see The Dark or something with some cheap scares thrown into the attraction. Silent Hill is definately disturbing, and it will have your'e heart racing at certain points, it's just not the kind of film people are expecting it to be.
Effects are absolutely awesome. I usually see films and say "wait, thats CGI.. thats a model.. thats not really there.." and it takes away the illusion completely. Silent Hill, in my view does NOT EVEN ONCE take you away from it's illusion. It keeps luring you in. Which is why the two hours may drag for some, but then can seem enjoyable for others, of they aren't taken in from the beginning, then there is no hope that by the time the half way mark is reached, that they will find an improvement.
And infact, the second half of the film is where it's a bit... different.
The search is always on, but then when you've found it.. what do you do with it? And the direction and pacing of thie film COULD of been improved slightly... not by cutting down the time of the film, but generally showing us the point of all this stuff! Giving us more to think about.
Really, my only problem with the film is that since going into the church and seeing this underground cult movement, your whole perception of the eerie monsters and things are taken away with just figuring out who the heck they are. And i feel that the less the film had to show, the better.
But thats just me.
A particularly good scene is when Rose meets the "janitor" monster, only one monster.. but a very terrifying scene indeed. Proving that the less you have, the more intriguing it is.
Right, and now for you gamers!
Im a MASSIVE Silent Hill fan, probably the biggest there is. (hah, only kidding), I feel rather a lot of nostalgia from the Orginal game (from which this film is based upon) and essentially this is why I enjoyed this film so much.
In the game, as you gamers would know, you exploer a lot, shoot a bit, and get un-nerved, a LOT.
You will be extremely pleased to know that the film completely replecates the games.
For fans of silent hill, you know what this means. It means the film has complete respect for the game. Sticks to its plot, sticks to its look. And heck, the entire musical score is from the games' too!
This is an extremely faithful re-telling of Silent Hill. And one i wish that the original game cleared up upon. I mean this literally, it is the perfect story to go next to Silent Hill.
For example, put resident Evil game next to Movie... A radical difference in shots, ar-work, scenes, characters, music.. heck even the zombies aren't even the same.
This isn't some scary film with the Silent Hill nme on it, it IS Silent Hill through and through. Wierd dialogue, religious talk near the end.. freaky monsters, exploration, meeting strange characters...
Everything is faithfully re-told. Heck, now you can guess what the Next-Gen Silent Hill games' would be like! it is THAT faithful to the game.
But whether you think that is a good thing... is entirely different.
The game was good because you were forced to go down that dark corridor yourself.. and you were forced to take 3 hours wandering round the town needlessly.. whether you think this it good to WATCH is another thing entirely aswell!
Because the game is SO close to film, and vise versa.. it is difficult for the audience to figure out what is good for a game, and what is good for a film..
The game wasn't even that special. It was simply the creepiness, the sounds, the places you went to that made it more of an exploration horror game, than a shooter etc.
But as a film, there aren't any films like the Silent Hill game around!
Sure, people say "hey, it was freaky, but not as scary as Silent Hill!".. they would only say that because SIlent Hill is in it's own world. But having gone to see Silent Hill the Movie, people would just turn around and say "Yeah, it's freaky but it's not freaky like Silent Hill".
Because it's a film, it HAS to wap up things much quicker. As you all know, SIlent Hill is wierd, cryptic in places, and genuinely disturbing. As a film, it is the same, except you are watching it.

All i have to say really is, as a fan, i am extremely pleased with it. Its a wonderful piece of work. Everyone i seen who saw it loves the style and the shots and the photography. But they always say "hmm.. what was it about though?"
It simply doesn't take you on a wild roller-coaster of sequences like most people expect it to. But then again, neither did the game!
The ending is pretty awesome, but again, audiences leaving the cinema won't really talk about it like "WOAH! Bruce Willis was dead after all that?!" they would more or less be saying "So.. the janitor... what he do again?" and that's about it.
It's a wonderful story by the way, if it had been told differently ALA RESIDENT EVIL MOVIE, it would be crap! But because Silent Hill holds such mythology, and is unique to anything out there today, it is exactly this which makes it a different kind of film.
Think Star Wars mythology for example, Star Wars ended on a climax explosion "we WON!" kind of thing, then that was that.
With Silent Hill, there is closure, but it is still open for more Mythology. Which is why I liked this film so much. It never reveals absolutely everything to you, and in the end Silent Hill is still a pretty freaky place.
Here's hoping a sequel is in order, and that everyone who worked on this one does it again. But also learns from their mistakes!
Now that this introduction to Silent Hill has been placed down, it would be awesome to have some more stories told about it. Expanding the freakiness of Silent Hill.
The only thing missing from the Movie really was a UFO ending!!
But heres hoping an alternate ending can be done for a DVD release, so that it would be a TRUE telling of Silent Hill! haha

Well, it took me a while to write down my thoughts..
I just hope that you go and see this film with an open mind. It's not a film which wants to scare you purposefully, it's just freaky and if you are easily scared, you will be terrified of some of the things in this.
But because of the nature of the film, it's not it's plan to do the stereotypical things like make the monsters a threat, kill the monsters and all that stuff..
You just have to understand Silent Hill, not why they didn't do this, and do that...
One thing I do urge you to think about is this- When Vincent Says to Heather in Silent Hill 3..
"They look like Monsters to you?"...

< Message edited by Silent_Bee -- 26/4/2006 1:58:41 AM >

Post #: 144
This guy wrote Pulp Fiction?! - 26/4/2006 1:50:15 AM   
El Aurens

After really enjoying Gans' earlier 'Brotherhood Of The Wolf' and being enticed by the trailer and website for 'Silent Hill', I expected better. Whilst scarily good and truly cinematic in the production and sound design, it really does betray its videogame roots in all other areas, especially music and dialogue. its hard to believe this was written by a 'Pulp Fiction' scribe, did Roger Avery just take the money and run on this one? Strewth! the story just plods along from one clue to another until we finally get to the very contrived and confusing payoff. And how the hell did the lady cop survive such a beating with large metal instruments from three burly men only to find herself being burnt alive for no particular reason?

It was genuinely disturbing and vile in many parts, yet this is let down by not really explaining things like why the little girl was regarded as a witch, who her mum was and why the religious nut villagers were so scared of them? I guess when it comes down to a story that makes sense and any excuse for gruesome violence, the violence wins out

Post #: 145
RE: Sharon & The Janitor!?! - 26/4/2006 1:59:36 AM   
nevergreen

quote:

quote:

yup. that's exactly what i'm saying. Cause if you notice the car crash at the beginning, the car flipped on its side. Yet when Rose wakes up, the car is upright, and not even a scratch on it. Also Cybil had a nasty cut on her head, but didn't notice anything about it until she was told.

*SPOILERS*

Personally, I didn't think they were dead!  Hmmmm.  Interesting!

Do you then think that Sean Beans' side story was also being played out within this purgatory?  If not, would the police and Sean Beans' character not of found both Sharon and Cybil's bodies on the roadside on first entering Silent Hill? 

"You were out of the trio a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Im bored. Episode 1 bored.

Post #: 146
RE: Sharon & The Janitor!?! - 26/4/2006 2:22:27 AM   
darkwonders

quote:

ORIGINAL: nevergreen

quote:

quote:

*SPOILERS*

Personally, I didn't think they were dead!  Hmmmm.  Interesting!

Do you then think that Sean Beans' side story was also being played out within this purgatory?  If not, would the police and Sean Beans' character not of found both Sharon and Cybil's bodies on the roadside on first entering Silent Hill? 

well for one it's silent hill, so it could have easily taken their bodies as well. And I don't think Sean was in purgatory because it never depicted that he was dead. Also nothing in the movie even hinted that he could have died...

(in reply to nevergreen)
Post #: 147
RE: Game or Movie? - 26/4/2006 2:27:32 AM   
darkwonders

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silent_Bee

Before I begin.. there are alot of you who are reading this thinking "Ok, I never seen the game, but my friends say it's the scariest thing ever!"
And then again, there are those of you (bless 'em!) who played the games to death and have been waiting to see it, but want to read on what people think of it!
I just got back from watching the film this afternoon, and i must say, as with playing the game.. get a couple of friends in and watch a LATE showing in a GOOD cinema (one which is very dark, has NO chavs, and excellent sound etc).
I am going to describe this review firstly to a person who maybe hasn't seen or played the games. Here i go!
Rose and Christopher adopted a girl named Sharon, Sharon is ill and needs help. HEr medication isn't working and she has bad bouts of sleep-walking and mumbling and shouting out words in her sleep.
Her condition is worsening, and after Sharon shouts again the words Silent Hill, Rose decides that this place holds some sort of key to unlocking their daughters pain.
Rose takes Sharon to Silent Hill. Without the concent of Christopher.
During the journey to this abandoned town, things become more and more strange... Suddenly, they crash...
Rose wakes in her car, finding that Sharon is missing from her seat. And so Rose looks for her in the direction of Silent Hill. And things become very nasty...
Well, thats the plot layed out for you right there. The Plot is entirely confusing later on in the film. So don't go expecting some kind of "SIXTH SENSE" kind of reality twist, but SO expect the Sixth Sense's way of telling a story.
The character Sharon has a dark connection with Silent Hill, and eventually Rose will find out that their innocent adopted daughter isn't so innocent after all!
Or is she?
From the beginning, the film is slightly haunting. Always making you wonder who is doing what, and why. And it is very interesting to watch the characters in these situations. The acting is quite believable aswell, and essentially the main point of them is to be good enough to journey with them throught out this 2 hour story!
I found that the characters were well chosen and had wonderful reactions to the enviroments and events in the film. However, there are some things, as with most films, that make you think "Nah, maybe she should of said something funny there...". And in fact, most of the time you will wonder why they don't question enough or why they are alone there anyways!
But that's all part and parcel of the movie! Lord of the Rings this AINT, and that is a marvellous thing for me. Personally, like when Bruce Lee died, I never wanted another Bruce Lee! And so the past 30 years of Hong Kong cinema has been a bit of a waste ;)
What I mean is, because there are SO many similar films these days, it's nice to have something different to watch!
When you think of films such as House on Haunted HIll, or The Dark, or Hide and Seek.. they all have their typical scares, typical "he's behind you" kind of scares.. you know, cheap scares and jolts which just make it fun to have your friends around...
What people may not like about this film is that they are expecting a shock-fest. Silent Hill is not about providing theme-pak scares or anything of the sort. It's about luring you into this world of his.. and letting you go when IT want's you to!
From the get go, things aren't very happy. The story is quite sad, and horrific in most parts. It is intriguing to watch these characters do what they do. However, a normal horror flick this isn't, which is what may dissapoint people here...
Ultimately, if you are looking for a film to scare the heck out of you and your'e mates, then don't go and see this, go and see The Dark or something with some cheap scares thrown into the attraction. Silent Hill is definately disturbing, and it will have your'e heart racing at certain points, it's just not the kind of film people are expecting it to be.
Effects are absolutely awesome. I usually see films and say "wait, thats CGI.. thats a model.. thats not really there.." and it takes away the illusion completely. Silent Hill, in my view does NOT EVEN ONCE take you away from it's illusion. It keeps luring you in. Which is why the two hours may drag for some, but then can seem enjoyable for others, of they aren't taken in from the beginning, then there is no hope that by the time the half way mark is reached, that they will find an improvement.
And infact, the second half of the film is where it's a bit... different.
The search is always on, but then when you've found it.. what do you do with it? And the direction and pacing of thie film COULD of been improved slightly... not by cutting down the time of the film, but generally showing us the point of all this stuff! Giving us more to think about.
Really, my only problem with the film is that since going into the church and seeing this underground cult movement, your whole perception of the eerie monsters and things are taken away with just figuring out who the heck they are. And i feel that the less the film had to show, the better.
But thats just me.
A particularly good scene is when Rose meets the "janitor" monster, only one monster.. but a very terrifying scene indeed. Proving that the less you have, the more intriguing it is.
Right, and now for you gamers!
Im a MASSIVE Silent Hill fan, probably the biggest there is. (hah, only kidding), I feel rather a lot of nostalgia from the Orginal game (from which this film is based upon) and essentially this is why I enjoyed this film so much.
In the game, as you gamers would know, you exploer a lot, shoot a bit, and get un-nerved, a LOT.
You will be extremely pleased to know that the film completely replecates the games.
For fans of silent hill, you know what this means. It means the film has complete respect for the game. Sticks to its plot, sticks to its look. And heck, the entire musical score is from the games' too!
This is an extremely faithful re-telling of Silent Hill. And one i wish that the original game cleared up upon. I mean this literally, it is the perfect story to go next to Silent Hill.
For example, put resident Evil game next to Movie... A radical difference in shots, ar-work, scenes, characters, music.. heck even the zombies aren't even the same.
This isn't some scary film with the Silent Hill nme on it, it IS Silent Hill through and through. Wierd dialogue, religious talk near the end.. freaky monsters, exploration, meeting strange characters...
Everything is faithfully re-told. Heck, now you can guess what the Next-Gen Silent Hill games' would be like! it is THAT faithful to the game.
But whether you think that is a good thing... is entirely different.
The game was good because you were forced to go down that dark corridor yourself.. and you were forced to take 3 hours wandering round the town needlessly.. whether you think this it good to WATCH is another thing entirely aswell!
Because the game is SO close to film, and vise versa.. it is difficult for the audience to figure out what is good for a game, and what is good for a film..
The game wasn't even that special. It was simply the creepiness, the sounds, the places you went to that made it more of an exploration horror game, than a shooter etc.
But as a film, there aren't any films like the Silent Hill game around!
Sure, people say "hey, it was freaky, but not as scary as Silent Hill!".. they would only say that because SIlent Hill is in it's own world. But having gone to see Silent Hill the Movie, people would just turn around and say "Yeah, it's freaky but it's not freaky like Silent Hill".
Because it's a film, it HAS to wap up things much quicker. As you all know, SIlent Hill is wierd, cryptic in places, and genuinely disturbing. As a film, it is the same, except you are watching it.

All i have to say really is, as a fan, i am extremely pleased with it. Its a wonderful piece of work. Everyone i seen who saw it loves the style and the shots and the photography. But they always say "hmm.. what was it about though?"
It simply doesn't take you on a wild roller-coaster of sequences like most people expect it to. But then again, neither did the game!
The ending is pretty awesome, but again, audiences leaving the cinema won't really talk about it like "WOAH! Bruce Willis was dead after all that?!" they would more or less be saying "So.. the janitor... what he do again?" and that's about it.
It's a wonderful story by the way, if it had been told differently ALA RESIDENT EVIL MOVIE, it would be crap! But because Silent Hill holds such mythology, and is unique to anything out there today, it is exactly this which makes it a different kind of film.
Think Star Wars mythology for example, Star Wars ended on a climax explosion "we WON!" kind of thing, then that was that.
With Silent Hill, there is closure, but it is still open for more Mythology. Which is why I liked this film so much. It never reveals absolutely everything to you, and in the end Silent Hill is still a pretty freaky place.
Here's hoping a sequel is in order, and that everyone who worked on this one does it again. But also learns from their mistakes!
Now that this introduction to Silent Hill has been placed down, it would be awesome to have some more stories told about it. Expanding the freakiness of Silent Hill.
The only thing missing from the Movie really was a UFO ending!!
But heres hoping an alternate ending can be done for a DVD release, so that it would be a TRUE telling of Silent Hill! haha

Well, it took me a while to write down my thoughts..
I just hope that you go and see this film with an open mind. It's not a film which wants to scare you purposefully, it's just freaky and if you are easily scared, you will be terrified of some of the things in this.
But because of the nature of the film, it's not it's plan to do the stereotypical things like make the monsters a threat, kill the monsters and all that stuff..
You just have to understand Silent Hill, not why they didn't do this, and do that...
One thing I do urge you to think about is this- When Vincent Says to Heather in Silent Hill 3..
"They look like Monsters to you?"...

That was a great review. I really think that this movie will tons more enjoyable to the fans of the game then to people who are going into the movie thinking it's going to be like other scarey movies. When I found out that the music for the movie was being done bye Yamaoka, I was thrilled. From the moment the movie started, I just relaxed and let myself get soaked into the movie soley through the music. And when the movie finally reached silent hill, I was head over heels at the beauty of the town. Once again I really think you have to be a fan of the game to truely appreciate the work and beauty put into this film. Oh and the janitor explanation wasn't at all confusing. That bathroom scene w/ the janitor monster was my second favorite part of the movie. The creature was just so beautifully done. I was amazed and freaked out at the same time... I am definately going to see this movie again in theaters...(some other friends wanted to see it but couldn't go opening night)

(in reply to Silent_Bee)
Post #: 148
- 26/4/2006 4:57:24 PM   
bass88

Great looking film. Christophe Ganz does it again after Brotherhood Of The Wolf

Post #: 149
Silent over the hill - 26/4/2006 5:27:15 PM   
shoddyshogun

A film which has to stop before the final act and explain itself by means of a poorly-contrived cine-film sequence has, in my opinion, failed in its primary objective - to tell a story.
Dig beneath the glossy cg footage and you find a tale not at all dissimilar to Clive Barker's 1987 gore flick Hellraiser minus the puzzle box which at least provided a little exposition. Pit the pair against each other in a demon duke-out and my money's going to be on Pinhead every time.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Brill Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI