Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Silent Hill4 Stars

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Hill4 Stars Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 12:52:28 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Saw this yesterday, and whilst I was initually confused it was a good, fun experience...

The acting was pretty good, though Sean Bean could have just talked normally

Very gory though, should have been an 18, and the ending descended into farce in my opinion, wtf was with the barbed wire?

Anyway, good chilling fun if a bit silly

3/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to joemanji)
Post #: 91
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 12:53:30 PM   
the_jody

Mild Spoilers

Hear hear! I agree; the horror elements in the film (the Pyramid Head scene, even Christabella's cummupence at the end) really struck a chord with me and teh 5 others I went to see it with; the horror isn't just your average teen offing technique like in Final Destination type films; they are really emotinally charged, shocking and almost saddening in a way. That for me makes a far greater impression than bog-standard horror fests.
And Rose, when she was being emotional, was really effective and I felt for her a great deal.

So no; we're not fu**ing kidding; if you don't like the film, that's his/her damn problem.

"Get out of my way, I'm fabulous"

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 92
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 12:55:37 PM   
Fullmetal_Alchemist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aldaboss

could somoene tell me the closing song.

The song's "You're not here" and it's taken from the 3rd game.

And cos I'm so nice here it is

< Message edited by Fullmetal_Alchemist -- 23/4/2006 12:56:19 PM >

I will never give up...I will never go back on my word. That is my nindo, my ninja way!

HagaRen/LOTR/Harry Potter/Naruto fangirl and co-leader of the Cult of Captain Obvious

A DIVERSION!

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 93
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 12:56:44 PM   
the_jody

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aldaboss

could somoene tell me the closing song.

The closing song is "You're not Here" the title track from Silent Hill 3. I personally prefer the intrumental version of the song

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 94
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 1:12:02 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: joemanji

Could someone explain to me why, if the little girl has a history of sleepwalking, the family still lives next to:

a) motorway
b) a river
c) a f*ck off cliff / waterfall!!!!

Surely you would move to a safer location?

that reminded me of some classic lines in this film....

'she's not well!!! ----- she sleepwalks!!'
genius.

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to joemanji)
Post #: 95
Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 1:56:06 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_jody

Mild Spoilers

Hear hear! I agree; the horror elements in the film (the Pyramid Head scene, even Christabella's cummupence at the end) really struck a chord with me and teh 5 others I went to see it with; the horror isn't just your average teen offing technique like in Final Destination type films; they are really emotinally charged, shocking and almost saddening in a way. That for me makes a far greater impression than bog-standard horror fests.
And Rose, when she was being emotional, was really effective and
I felt for her a great deal.

So no; we're not fu**ing kidding; if you don't like the film, that's his/her damn problem.

So i'm not alone in thinking it struck some of our emotional chords. Why do so many people seem to get a kick out of slating things? Fair enough its there opinion, but theres no need to make people who are fond of said thing/s look stupid!?!

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 96
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 2:06:12 PM   
maffew

anyone else notice that rose had a white top at the beginning - didnt really get cut up too badly throughout, and ended with not a red stained top, but an entirely red top? seemed a bit odd to me..did i miss something?

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

Post #: 97
P Dexter - 23/4/2006 2:10:03 PM   
Paula Dexter

Hmmm another hopeful scarefest ruined by a really annoying Mom running around screeching "Sharon" and too similar to even more annoying mom in The Dark running around screeching "Sarah".
Best bit was definately the brilliant atmouspheric town itself and excellent Pyramid Head. The end scene in the church with the manic repeated " Burn the Witch" chants was just funny, once I'd thought of the Monty Pythons scene that was it.
Oh and why did the Kick Ass cop suddenly give up the fight and submit to good bearing ? Didn't make sense. Thank god for Hostel.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 98
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 2:10:05 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

anyone else notice that rose had a white top at the beginning - didnt really get cut up too badly throughout, and ended with not a red stained top, but an entirely red top? seemed a bit odd to me..did i miss something?

I saw this on a 'making of', the costume woman said she had the same clothes but the colours changed throughout the movie. So it was intentional,  probably be mentioned on the DVD. But for the final scene 'barb wire' it worked really well visually. All the nasty cult people where all drab and grey, and Rose in here red top. Like I said before, theres reasons behind this, can't remember what but it looked good 

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 99
RE: P Dexter - 23/4/2006 2:20:45 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paula Dexter
Thank god for Hostel.

you what?

(in reply to Paula Dexter)
Post #: 100
RE: P Dexter - 23/4/2006 2:29:02 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

Thank god for Hostel.

Is Hostel not just another teen slasher movie? Completely different from Silent Hill!?!

(in reply to Paula Dexter)
Post #: 101
RE: P Dexter - 23/4/2006 2:33:09 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: burgessappleton

quote:

Thank god for Hostel.

Is Hostel not just another teen slasher movie? Completely different from Silent Hill!?!

well, thats not really the point..i think what she was saying is 'well, amidst the shite horror we have in this world, at least theres the one shining beacon of cinematic joy in my life - Hostel...' i just thought it was odd because Hostel is possibly the biggest bag of wank released so far this year, and silent hill, while not perfect by any means - is a damn sight better than hostel..

Post #: 102
Silent Vs Hostel - 23/4/2006 2:44:15 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank god for Hostel.

well, thats not really the point..i think what she was saying is 'well, amidst the shite horror we have in this world, at least theres the one shining beacon of cinematic joy in my life - Hostel...' i just thought it was odd because Hostel is possibly the biggest bag of wank released so far this year, and silent hill, while not perfect by any means - is a damn sight better than hostel..

Well thats here opinion. And you've now had yours regarding Hostel. Hehee! I couldn't compare the two films because I haven't seen Hostel.
If people must really compare Silent Hill to another film I think the best examples could be The Ring and The Grudge. I personally think Silent Hill being better than The Grudge and on a par with The Ring.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 103
RE: P Dexter - 23/4/2006 2:45:17 PM   
Those_wedontspeak_of

Huge silent hill fan...but this quite dissapointed me....cant really say why..........also i can't understand the revelations at the end.......was it basically saying that the girl Allessa created the dreamy silent hill world in her mind? Cause i dont think Silent hill is about that at all. Also all the witch burning stuff...........What happened to the cult trying to raise thier god+ all the silent hill mythology like pyramid head being an exicutioner in a prison doesnt work if the girl'created' him to just get revenge . Please tell me thats not the case.... Otherwise thought the town's look was perfect really creepy like the games + really uncomfortable when rose had to take the key out of the janitors mouth.......eek

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 104
RE: P Dexter - 23/4/2006 2:50:27 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Those_wedontspeak_of

Huge silent hill fan...but this quite dissapointed me....cant really say why..........also i can't understand the revelations at the end.......was it basically saying that the girl Allessa created the dreamy silent hill world in her mind? Cause i dont think Silent hill is about that at all. Also all the witch burning stuff...........What happened to the cult trying to raise thier god+ all the silent hill mythology like pyramid head being an exicutioner in a prison doesnt work if the girl'created' him to just get revenge . Please tell me thats not the case.... Otherwise thought the town's look was perfect really creepy like the games + really uncomfortable when rose had to take the key out of the janitors mouth.......eek

I don't think anything regarding why things happened etc... is actually set in stone. Its up to the view as to who, what, where, when and why things happened. Like I said in another post earlier, its the first time my partner and myself have spent an hour after a film actually talking about the experience and how we understood things.

(in reply to Those_wedontspeak_of)
Post #: 105
RE: P Dexter - 23/4/2006 2:56:00 PM   
maffew

i think what i was dissapointed about with this was the end...that tacked on 'explanation' and i wanted the end to just be her descent into hell, and just pile on the really bad stuff...as she was going down in the lift, i really hoped it would get really gritty and horrible...like you know the last crusade? like that, but with demons and evil and melty walls and pyramid head..wouldn't that have kicked ass??

Post #: 106
RE: P Dexter - 23/4/2006 3:03:41 PM   
the_jody

hahaha! Yes it is. Not exactly art IMHO

Post #: 107
It kinda helped! - 23/4/2006 3:04:37 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

i think what i was dissapointed about with this was the end...that tacked on 'explanation' and i wanted the end to just be her descent into hell, and just pile on the really bad stuff...as she was going down in the lift, i really hoped it would get really gritty and horrible...like you know the last crusade? like that, but with demons and evil and melty walls and pyramid head..wouldn't that have kicked ass??

I think the explanation helped slightly, maybe it could have been inserted some else!?! I don't know... But without it the film would be left open to even more confusion and more questions to be asked. It explained who Sharons mother was and who the father was (Janitor). It kinda disturbed me to know the Janitor raped the girl and Sharon was the result.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 108
RE: It kinda helped! - 23/4/2006 3:11:41 PM   
Those_wedontspeak_of

Also was the nurse in the flashbacks Cybil the cop? They really looked similar + plus officer Gucci was the same age in the 70's flashbacks............

Post #: 109
RE: It kinda helped! - 23/4/2006 3:15:37 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Those_wedontspeak_of

Also was the nurse in the flashbacks Cybil the cop? They really looked similar + plus officer Gucci was the same age in the 70's flashbacks............

Thats one thing my partner and I couldn't figure out. There must be an explanation as to why he was the same and hasn't aged. Is he part of Silent Hill???

(in reply to Those_wedontspeak_of)
Post #: 110
RE: It kinda helped! - 23/4/2006 3:28:58 PM   
joemanji

Or is it bad continuity?

Post #: 111
Bushes!?! - 23/4/2006 3:52:58 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: joemanji

Or is it bad continuity?

Hehee! Good point...

I've understood everything about it and have even thought of some theories of my own, however, one thing still confuses me.

The final shot in the film, as Chris looks out of his door and music starts playing, there is a meandering camera movement over to two plants.

Is this meant to...

1) Represent his wife and child who will somehow always be with him?
2) Show us that the SUV is not in the driveway?
3) Tell us that Chris will take up gardening?

Whats everyone elses view on this strange ending shot???

< Message edited by burgessappleton -- 23/4/2006 3:56:33 PM >

(in reply to joemanji)
Post #: 112
RE: Bushes!?! - 23/4/2006 4:10:04 PM   
Those_wedontspeak_of

I don't think it's meant to symbolise anything and that's just a pethetic 'this'll do'ending  shot  or it mite be trying to show the suv , i dunno, if the latter was the case they cudve made it clearer.............by actually showing the empty driveway

Post #: 113
RE: It kinda helped! - 23/4/2006 5:50:47 PM   
the_jody

quote:

quote:

I think the explanation helped slightly, maybe it could have been inserted some else!?! I don't know... But without it the film would be left open to even more confusion and more questions to be asked. It explained who Sharons mother was and who the father was (Janitor). It kinda disturbed me to know the Janitor raped the girl and Sharon was the result.

Excellent point about the Janitor being the father of Sharon!! I hadn't thought about that but it certainly fits.

I 'm still not sure of why Sharon, being Alessa's child, was exactly the same in looks (presumably, being the result of the rape, Sharon wasn't just a reincarnation); also, how did Alessa birth Sharon in her bed-ridden state, and when was it that Lisa Garland (Nurse) who took her to safety at the roadside??
Also; I'm racking my mind trying to understand why, after burning Alessa alive; the cult/other townfolk; kept Alessa alive in the hospital. Surely it can't be for the same reason that they kept her alive in the original game (which was for the purpose of conjuring Samael, their deity)!!

Please, if anyone has any ideas.....

Post #: 114
So Many Silent Questions - 23/4/2006 6:02:50 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_jody

quote:

quote:

Excellent point about the Janitor being the father of Sharon!! I hadn't thought about that but it certainly fits.

I 'm still not sure of why Sharon, being Alessa's child, was exactly the same in looks (presumably, being the result of the rape, Sharon wasn't just a reincarnation); also, how did Alessa birth Sharon in her bed-ridden state, and when was it that Lisa Garland (Nurse) who took her to safety at the roadside??
Also; I'm racking my mind trying to understand why, after burning Alessa alive; the cult/other townfolk; kept Alessa alive in the hospital. Surely it can't be for the same reason that they kept her alive in the original game (which was for the purpose of conjuring Samael, their deity)!!

Please, if anyone has any ideas.....

I get a headache when I start looking so deep into it. Hehee! So many questions 

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 115
- 23/4/2006 6:11:59 PM   
parkinsm

I found this the best videogame adapt but still the movie dragged on and Sean Bean once again crap in supportive role

Post #: 116
RE: Uwe Boll, Take notes - 23/4/2006 6:40:42 PM   
Miller

I went to watch this movie last night expecting something not quite like what I was presented with. What I got was an incomprehensible story about witches in an imaginary ghost town populated by odd CGI murtants. The set design was great; I'm not disputing that, and the music was good and atmospheric and whatnot. The rest of it though, the rest was just bunk. It wasn't scary for one. It didn't make much sense. The characters were all one dimensional, which isn't surprising given it was based on a computer game. Also it felt as if I was watching a friend of mine play the game over his shoulder or something. I kept wanting to wrestle the pad out of the hands of the chav on the seat in front of me so I could help Radha do something constructive. As for the bike copper, well, they found the body beautiful to play that one didn't they eh?   
The truth is, Gans deserves to be better served than with tosh like this and hopefully his next prject will be a little less flat than this was. 3/5, just or the set design, though if it wasn't for that and the music; I might have given it a two.

(in reply to wesker)
Post #: 117
Not bad..... - 23/4/2006 6:42:55 PM   
kingkong66

Iwent into this film hoping it would not stoop to the level of Resi, Doom and Mortal K. It started well with the creepy atmosphere, scary monsters and the terrifing P.H. All was well till we got to the church and then it was....... CRAP. I t was totally over the top, violent and cruel. It was better than Resi & Doom but there is definatly room for improvment!

Post #: 118
Silent Brill - 23/4/2006 6:46:59 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

I went to watch this movie last night expecting something not quite like what I was presented with. What I got was an incomprehensible story about witches in an imaginary ghost town populated by odd CGI murtants. The set design was great; I'm not disputing that, and the music was good and atmospheric and whatnot. The rest of it though, the rest was just bunk. It wasn't scary for one. It didn't make much sense. The characters were all one dimensional, which isn't surprising given it was based on a computer game. Also it felt as if I was watching a friend of mine play the game over his shoulder or something. I kept wanting to wrestle the pad out of the hands of the chav on the seat in front of me so I could help Radha do something constructive. As for the bike copper, well, they found the body beautiful to play that one didn't they eh?   
The truth is, Gans deserves to be better served than with tosh like this and hopefully his next prject will be a little less flat than this was. 3/5, just or the set design, though if it wasn't for that and the music; I might have given it a two.

It was Gans idea to do the film. He was the one to secure the rights. Okay?

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 119
This deserves attention... - 23/4/2006 7:55:12 PM   
rickstar00001

Having been a Silent Hill fan since 99 when I played (but never completed) Silent Hill one, I worried when I heard about this. Then I saw it.
How can anyone be disappointed.
Thsi is one of the most impressive and highly enjoyabe vidoegame to film adaptations. The whole idea of Rose and Sharon still in the world of Silent Hill fits perfectly with the history of the game series, and the story of Alessa Gillespie fits with the history of Silent Hill the games.
The world that Silent Hill exists in is supposed to bring out the evil of the protagonist and all of the fears and hatred of the protagonists desire.
Roger Avery and Cristophe Gans deserve credit for making a videogame adapotation that is worthy of film release. UWE BOLL PLEASE LOOK AT THIS FILM AND TAKE NOTES, AND DON'T MAKE POSTAL.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Hill4 Stars Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI