Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Best game to film conversion yet.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Best game to film conversion yet. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best game to film conversion yet. - 22/4/2006 10:02:37 AM   
jpmwright

This film although not great is the best example of a game to film yet made. the sound and music was perfect. The sets were great and the monsters etc. were spot on. The first half of the film is great but the story gets worse as does the dialogue, there area few redeeming features, the nurses etc. As a fan of the game (Ive played them all) Its great to see locations copied perfectly and monsters (The triangle dude etc.) It probably is better if you know the general idea but its a FAR FAR better than the Resi, Street Fighter, Mario Bros, Doom and House of the dead movies.

3 out of 5 a good film, and like empire says a step in the Right direction.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: If you liked the game... - 22/4/2006 11:12:44 AM   
Goatmaster

SOME SPOILERS
Saw this last night...before I go on i'll say that I'm a massive SH fan since the first one was released, it's the game that made me want to go into sound design (IE pretty big influence on my life so far) and have been defending this movie since I first heard of it's production...I kind of wish I hadn't

I really am torn it had brilliant effects (some of the best I have ever seen), it had awesome sets, the sound effects and music were just spot on I really am having troubles figuring out why I didn't like it at all.

I found it really boring at a lengthy 2 hrs, not scary at all and only had a handfull of good scenes, the rest was really embarrasing badly scripted/acted slow paced Straight to Channel 5 stuff!

Case in point, the extra inhabitants of Silent Hill, just a bunch of drooling idiots pulling comedy faces, they also pick up a women when they visit the Hotel that I was just praying would die quickly just so she didn't spout any more nonsense.
Pyramid Head was wasted, he came and went really randomly and didn't really stick in my mind, he could have been baddie of the decade but he was a 5 minute wonder.

Sean Bean I hate to say was utterly pointless and all his scenes were crap and broke the action up too much. 

I really was enjoying this up to a certain point though, it does have some great scenes, imagery and effects, there is a quality scene in the school toilet that for me should have set the tone, but it kind of ended up being more of a crappy drama than a Jacobs Ladder style headfuck.

I'm really dissapointed with it, I belive it's a tale of two sides though, it IS faithful to SIlent Hill but on the same hand it didn't make me feel like there was much danger, true terror or actually any point to it all!
Oh well!

2/5 (for the sets, effects and sound)

< Message edited by Goatmaster -- 22/4/2006 11:13:52 AM >

100 Meteo Time war: 00"07"45

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 62
RE: Silent Hill 3 Stars... - 22/4/2006 11:33:31 AM   
KaPOW

Wen to see it last night, was dreading it as i love the games. But i was shocked i actually enjoyed a video game adap.
The film was faithfull to the game which was good, from the radio signal to the foggy atmosphere. And pyramid head was so bad ass in his breif cameo.
What was with Sean Bean he wasnt a bad guy!(Well he did do a bit of breaking an entry)
Oh and did anyone else find that really tall guy in the church hillarious?
Leaves it open for a sequel based on the second game, though Sean Beans charecter has a different name to that of the main charecter in the second game.
if you like the games you'll probly like this film, by far the best video game adaptation..... Well except Mario bros for some reason i have a fasination with that film!

" The man in black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed"

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 63
In Dreams - 22/4/2006 11:48:35 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Gotta say, I loved it. The film is flawed, make no mistake, but there is so much cool stuff in there. While it's not 100% faithful to the games, the plot is something that works in the Silent Hill universe. Visually, it's amazing and I loved the kinda fake looking CGI as it gave the whole eerie world of Silent Hill a surreal quality.
But it does have problems. For starters it's too long. It also sports some VERY ropey dialogue and more than a few uncomfortable scenes. But, at the same time, I also think the conviction behind the film makes this awkward stuff work on some level so I'm going to give it 4/5.

Overlong, crazy, and a bit sloppy. But still great.

< Message edited by MoBiUGeArSkIn -- 22/4/2006 11:50:51 AM >

Post #: 64
A lesson in imagination - 22/4/2006 1:22:59 PM   
the_jody

All the visual/acoustic material in this film is so, so good; it goes to show just how much imagination/ideas were in the directors/producer's minds!! As for those who said they didn't understand the story (cos ot wasn't spoon fed??); it's all explained in the film; and Sean Bean/Ofiicer Gucci's roles were not just tacked on; they played a part in the main story and help reveal more about the reason behind the events that occur in SH!

Post #: 65
Erm... - 22/4/2006 1:23:06 PM   
Chicken_Little

The_jody, you've given it 5 stars? And you say I'm talking crap? So you're saying its pretty much a perfect film. I can't even begin to emphasise how stupid that is. And yes it was poorly directed. No styilisation, horrible pacing and some godawful editing. Maybe minor, but they happened far too frequently.

Post #: 66
RE: Erm... - 22/4/2006 2:45:30 PM   
the_jody

"spends its time satisfying gamers by showing freaks every 20 minutes while inbetween giving us a bland back story which is handed to us on a plate right at the end anyway." 

Chicken_Little this was your comment earlier. Kinda patronising doncha think? Just because "gamers" might be watching the film doesnt mean they are narrow-minded, 2-D, unintelligent droids that can't function without seeing "freaks every 20 minutes". And considering the director is an avid gamer himself, he knew what he was doing on this point, and he fought long and hard to stay true to the atmosphere of Silent Hill, whilst changing certain elements to adapt it to the screen.
You can argue that he was wrong to be that faithful to the game as, the film had a certain linearity to it that is common with the game; but if he was always aware of the fact that he would be criticsied by people like you who can't see past the superficiality of these issues; in the end he wanted to bring the atmosphere of the game (isolation, confusion, slow building fear) and its main themes (the perils of self-righteousness/brainwashing, fear- both from ignorance and cowardice, and the unconditional love of a parent/child), to the screen. As this is what he set out to achieve in spite of the risks involved, he did it absoultely right.

My score was 5/5 as it reflects the fact that Gans translated all these elements admirably onto the big screen. If you wanna diss it because it was (127 minutes long!!!!!!!!) or bacause (it didnt make any sense!!!!!! etc ad nauseum...); then go right ahead. That's what this board is here for after all

"Get out of my way, I'm fabulous"

(in reply to Chicken_Little)
Post #: 67
Warning: contains disturbing images of violence and gore. - 22/4/2006 4:18:56 PM   
Honest989

First off, a message to a lot of film critics: I can see why this film wasn't submitted to an advance screening - fans of the series wouldn't be put off by a professional critic's opinion and, to be honest, most of the public can do that for free by word of mouth.

Second, to describe gamers as single mindedly violent and shallow smacks of a +40 year old writer who believes the computer is the work of the devil and the only games produced cater to the violent side of life.... I guess much like horror films.

Anyway. (Essay and spoiler warning)

I went to go see this last night, and I'll admit right now that I've played 3 of the four SH games. I even bought the special edition (behind the scenes) of SH2 for my brother at christmas when it came out so I 'get' what pyramid head is about.

The first scene for the film had no real bite to it. It just serves as a platform to give reason for the protagonist going to Silent Hill. The little girl as an actor is fine for a nine year old but I wouldn't say she's great. (Thank god though that Dakota Fanning wasn't cast in the role. She does screaming a little too well.)

From there, for newcomers who have little knowledge of the film it actually gets quite good.. Especially when the dark come for the first time. It's pretty spectacular to go from a foggy but light Silent Hill to a rusty hell hole where the 'real world' is stripped away, almost like flesh melting in a fire.. a hint to the suffering endured by the one in charge of the madness. The fact that this is real R-rated stuff is great as we can go into detail of how horrid this world is.

Each of the dark scenes is preceded by the air-raid sirens heard in the distance so from the initial incarnation of the dark world, the audience will know what is soon to follow when the sirens are heard. There's some good camera work in here.. especially where it goes crooked in parts but occaisionally, there were too many nods to the game camera work that, to me as a gamer who played them, made me feel, as the empire review says, I was looking at someone playing the game.

Dialogue is another problem. When she's on her own, Radha Mitchel does an awesome job of conveying the fear she has. I'm not slating off Laurie Holden here.. she was good as well, but when there was actual DIALOGUE, it was stiff.. it was trying to stay too close to the games rather than just be good on its own. There are exceptions to this... the exchange between the lady in the church and cybil and Rose.

The men's roles seem to have been tacked on. As Sean Bean only had screen time probably not even mounting to about 15 minutes, I can only attribute his dodgy accent to no real preparation for the role. Kim Coates (officer gucci) and Sean Bean spend most of the film vainly trying to search for Rose, and while Gucci seems remorseful about Silent Hill, he doesn't actually reveal anything useful about its history.

That brings me to another point: Toward the end is a hefty chunk of exposition in the form of grainy flash back telling us what happened. They could have used the guys a LOT more here to deliver it more effectively rather than just dump it on your plate to explain the whole story right before the last act.

The open ending will also irritate a lot of film goers as it poses some niggling questions that will probably go unanswered (largely like they do in the games). It reverses a lot about what you think you know... are the protagonists even alive for example, and not in some kind of purgatory?

The film does have its flaws... it has elevated itself above the crap that usually results from Mario bros. vs silver screen or Tomb raider or Resident Evil. The music wasn't bad, but it wasn't right for the movie. (It was done by the composer who worked on the games).

I urge you to go see it though, and make your own mind up. It's turning out to be a fairly marmite film. If someone can make better sense of the ending though.. feel free to post it.

P.S. To those who aren't in the know about pyramid head.. His angular looks are meant to represent pain. He's an effectively (under?)used menace in the film, something to run very, very far away from. He represents the main tool for vengeance in the film, whereas the monsters, I presume, are those inhabitants who have died and now suffer for their wickedness.. (see the janitor) 

I give it three stars..

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 68
RE: Warning: contains disturbing images of violence and... - 22/4/2006 4:44:14 PM   
the_jody

The ending explained:

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of Silent Hill's remaining residents (the cultists) were taken to hell (the vision we see when the dark comes)- something up until then they have been able to evade by taking refuge in their "Church". The demon, pairing up with Rose who is bent on rescuing her daughter, not from the dark or the demon, but the real enemy; the cultists who wanted her burned, unleash a vengeance in the Church (a nod to the film Carrie); all the Cultists are slaughtered and sent to hell where the dark reigns forever.

Dahlia is saved from this as she is the mother of Alessa; Alessa took pity on her as her mother, and she lives in the Misty SH; the purgatory of the three possible worlds, for she could never be forgiven for what she did; she would ponder and grieve in Purgatory indefinately.

Rose and Sharon also remain in the Misty world, but for different reasons. Sharon took the demon in her at the very end, after Rose did, because Alessa (bed ridden and horrifically burned all these years) released the demon; she no longer had a need for her as her vengeance was acted out on all the Cultists.

The reason why Sharon took the demon into her?? I can hear you ask!! It's simple; remember the pact Rose formed with the demon in the basement hospital? That, in exchange for saving her daughter, the demon was able to enter the Church where all this time, it was unable to penetrate becasue of their "faith". By being taken in by Rose; after the Vengeance scene, the demon was free to enter the next of kin; Sharon.
As such, her and Rose were able to flee Silent Hill (unlike Dahlia), but they remain in the Misty world as this is, at the end of the day, what Rose was willing to sacrifice: she would do ANYTHING to be with her daughter; even if it meant they would only have each other. And so she made her decison; she stayed in the "afterlife" of sorts with her daughter. A nod to a grieving mother who wants to be with her "dead" child...

Hope this helps...

(in reply to Honest989)
Post #: 69
RE: Warning: contains disturbing images of violence and... - 22/4/2006 5:11:44 PM   
Honest989

or they could be dead.. :)

Right at the beginning if you remember, cybil has a bad cut from her crash but has to be told. She also barely has a scratch on her clothing. Also, everything occurred 40 years ago, but no one has aged.

I don't want to discuss the ending here though for a couple of weeks. Got to let people see it :)

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 70
terrifyingly brilliant! - 22/4/2006 5:13:31 PM   
attree123

My hopes were not set high for this movie but to my surprise it was very, very satisfying. It was dark, creepy and down-right nasty! I loved every bit of it...My only complaints being the long running time and the little girls acting abilities.

Post #: 71
RE: Warning: contains disturbing images of violence and... - 22/4/2006 5:21:12 PM   
the_jody

SPOLIERS!

Yeh; I take your point HONEST989 about the ambiguity of the "crashes"! I think that forms part of what Silent Hill is famous for; the many different interpretations you can have on the plot. I was just covering what essentially happened on screen. The rest is for us to enjoy in our imaginations... :))

(in reply to Honest989)
Post #: 72
- 22/4/2006 7:14:27 PM   
attree123

I have never played any of the silent hill games but I'm pretty sure I understood the film perfectly. I heard the majority of people who had not previously played the games, were seriously confused by the movie, especially the end.
Correct me if I am wrong but all you need to know is the mother and her 'Daughter' still remain in the world of silent hill. Fans of the game confirm this for me???

Post #: 73
- 22/4/2006 7:17:18 PM   
attree123

I have never played any of the silent hill games but I'm pretty sure I understood the film perfectly. I heard the majority of people who had not previously played the games, were seriously confused by the movie, especially the end.
Correct me if I am wrong but all you need to know is the mother and her 'Daughter' still remain in the world of silent hill. Fans of the game confirm this for me???

Post #: 74
RE: Silent Hill - 22/4/2006 8:05:02 PM   
maffew

possible spoilers

vastly confusing
looked great
faithful to game
it ended on a bush - whats with that?
its twists and turns at first prompted questions - followed by 'what are we even questioning? theres almost no way to interpret what we've just seen!' i had no clue what was going on - but it looked really nice and the gore was good..the nurses were cool, although it looked like they were dancing a bit, as opposed to the stakato look they were probably going for..

one thing i will say - Gans is an immense director..i really felt his marked stamped onto this film, those ace crane shots and where he puts the frequently on the move camera is brilliant..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Chiastic Slide)
Post #: 75
- 22/4/2006 8:12:48 PM   
Chicken_Little

Kinda patronising doncha think? Just because "gamers" might be watching the film doesnt mean they are narrow-minded, 2-D, unintelligent droids that can't function without seeing "freaks every 20 minutes". That's not what I said at all, you've completely misinterpreted it. I was making the point that inbetween having the freaks from the film appear every now and thenthere was practically nothing going on and it felt that these characters just made appearances so that gamers wouldn't form a massive backlash that 'it wasnt faithful to the game'.

Post #: 76
RE: - 22/4/2006 8:14:03 PM   
the_jody

SPOILER!

I think there's a bit more too it than just the fact the Mother and daughter remain in the misty world

Like...I dunno.....the rest of the plot which was really central to town!!!!!

(in reply to attree123)
Post #: 77
RE: Best game to film conversion yet. - 22/4/2006 8:21:07 PM   
Chicken_Little

quote:

If you wanna diss it because it was (127 minutes long!!!!!!!!) or bacause (it didnt make any sense!!!!!! etc ad nauseum...)

How original. You know nothing about me, yet you resort to the usual childish arguments because it makes you feel better. I didn't say anything about it being too long (127 minutes certainly isn't long, I own Das Boot and Gone With The Wind which are considerably longer... Course you already knew that right?), and it did make sense but only in a ridiculously abstract way. It went completely out of its way to try and shock us with a horrific backstory and was just unneccessarily complicated.

The fact that on the review page you felt the need to complain because of my rating just shows how insecure you are and how desperate your need for people to agree with you. If you liked the film, give it a review, but don't attack another individual on what isn't even a forum for giving an opinion that (SHOCK HORROR) may actually be different from yours.

'I have nipples Greg, could you milk me?'

(in reply to jpmwright)
Post #: 78
RE: Best game to film conversion yet. - 22/4/2006 8:54:16 PM   
the_jody

How original. You know nothing about me, yet you resort to the usual childish arguments because it makes you feel better.

Err....excuse me.....?....

I'm sorry, did I upset you? Because I wasn't upset about your review (???), but I was annoyed at how you backed it up (or didn't)

I quote:
And yes it was poorly directed. No styilisation, horrible pacing and some godawful editing.

A-HAHAHAHA! Please, if you're going to criticise a film the rule of thumb you should be sticking to is keeping the facts right. You mentioned pacing problems; fine that's perfectly valid. But stylization and godawful editing?? Are you kidding? It was one of the most visually visceral pieces of work in recent cinema! Point in case showed the darkness descending in a way where everything real seemed to burn away; hint, hint... etc etc etc....

Anyway, please don't turn this into a pseudo-psychological analysis; I don't need strangers judging me and trying to pass judgement on why I said this and why I said that.

I don't know you, but then again you don't know me.

You're entitled to your opinion, and me the same.

Don't 4get that you carped on about my (5 Stars!?!?!?!!) review too. Does that make you insecure and in need of everyone agreeing with you and how you hate the film....?

(in reply to Chicken_Little)
Post #: 79
Nicely done - 22/4/2006 11:05:18 PM   
Cassius2004

A very good adaptation. I can't say any more than what’s been said. However it’s important to realise that most games try to be like movies. So when you make a movie based on a game, it’s like making a painting of a painting.
It’s only just hit me about the twist, but can anyone shed some light on where Sharon came from?

Post #: 80
Looks great, and Nothing else - 22/4/2006 11:53:32 PM   
coolrex16

Not quite as bad as doom and not half as fun as Resident Evil, this is just another, in what is soon to be many, game to movie adaptations. Without a shadow of a doubt this film does look very impressive, in character design, backdrops etc. But as far as action, acting and general 'whatmakesafilmgood'ness, this is really quite poor. Just play the game and wait for the next, hopefully better, video game adaptation like Halo or Splinter Cell.

Post #: 81
saw last night loved it - 22/4/2006 11:58:42 PM   
geiger167

Looks like its gonna be a love it or hate it film :)
I fall on the love it side.
I'd basically given up on US horror films for the last couple of years as all the good ones seemed to be coming from the far-east, and everything else seemed to be remakes. I actually think the fact the film is dividing opinion will work in it's favour as I spent a happy hour post cinema arguing it's merits to the hate-it crowd lol. Better any reaction than the general apathy that something 'when a stranger calls' or films of it's type will cause.
Early reports suggest a number one spit on the us charts for Friday and its quite a clear leader looks like a sequel is likely.

Pyramid Head rocked by the way best horror since the Ring in my humble opinion and I'm happy to argue the point, Empire stick another star on get it up to four lol, hehehehe

Post #: 82
RE: Looks great, and Nothing else - 23/4/2006 12:21:40 AM   
paulyboy

Overall I have to say I enjoyed myself, not exactly great but you could do far worse with your ticket money.

I have to echo what others have said with regards to the visuals though, absolutely incredible in places, especially the climax in the church, reminded me very much of the original Hellraiser films, only with 20 years of special effects advancement thrown into the mix. I also have to mention that one moment with Mr Pyramid Head, you'll know it when you see it but dear god, it's quite possibly the biggest "Holy Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" moment I've witnessed at the cinema this year.

It's just a shame the film couldn't sustain that kind of edge for the duration of the running time, it's fantastic stuff when it's firing on all cylinders but the rest of the film by comparison is actually quite poor in places. Acting and scripting take frequent nose dives making it hard to take seriously and the film as a whole could do with a 20 minute trim.

Conclusion:

Overall it's entertaining enough and there's enough stand-out moments to just about make it worth your while but there's definate room for improvement in certain areas.

If only the rest of the film were as good as the visuals?

3/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to coolrex16)
Post #: 83
Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 7:55:37 AM   
burgessappleton

Oh My God!!! Top Film...
What can I say? Before seeing the film I have followed other peoples views etc, and I went into the film with an open mind. But all I can say is that the film was great.
I sat throughout the film shocked and amazed at what I was experiencing.

A few points i'd like to highlight...

• Bad CGI!?! Absolutly not. I was waiting to be sat there thinking oh here comes the dodgy cgi, but it never surfaced.
  • Bad acting!?! Nothing stuck out as being terribly bad. People complained about the woman who gets here skin ripped off, however I felt that she is supposed to be slow and kinda stupid because of how she was brought up by the cult thingy.
  • Audience laughing and spoiling film!?! Definately not. Like all horror films, I go in expecting other people to ruin it by laughing and stuff like that. But for the first time in years the audience all just at there silent. And walking out of the cinema people where making very positive comments, another thing you don't experince that much.

So anyway thats all i'll say for now. I'm sure the film will do well via word of mouth, if not from the cinema release, definately the DVD release. To put it simply. A great film that evokes emotions, shocks and amazes with great visual flare.

4 Stars. Check it out its a brilliant experience. Support the film, it is something different for modern horror and for the realm of video game adaptations!

< Message edited by burgessappleton -- 23/4/2006 8:30:56 AM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 84
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 9:39:16 AM   
ANARKY

Saw it last night.

Im a huge fan of Silent Hill, especially Silent Hill 2. The story is basically the story from the first game, but reworked slightly, but the monsters and visuals are mainly from the second game.
And very faithful they are too.

The Baby Scene is very similar the the first monster encounter in the first game. The Cocoon guy encounter is very much like it is in SH2.
I jusy loved all the nods to the games, the jumping between buildings bit, the Prayer in the Orphanage, Pyramid head scraping is sword along, Alessa's Nurse (Lisa Garland from the first game) was there too. Great stuff.

The music is directly lifted fromt he games. I have the Soundtracks to Silent hill 2, 3 and 4, and the music is a mix of tracks from SH2 and SH3. A couple of the tracks have been tweeked slightly, otherwise they just used the game music, which was a brave choice, but the right one in my mind. It fits brilliently and really gets you into the atmosphere of the games.

Some of the Dialogue was ropey, the explanation scene was a bit shabby and could have been better explained in bits using Sean Beans Character as well as Rose.
But all this is forgivable when the rest of the film is so well done.
The visuals of the town where spot on, the mosters where great, although their movements could have been enhanced to be more Jacobs Ladder like as they are in the games. The Ending was a little scratch your head-ish but with some thought can be worked out, and with a second viewing im sure would make perfect sense. But the games where very much like this too.

Great film, enjoyable 2 hours, scared the misses silly.

_

My Wedding Photography Site
My Photography, Illustration and Film Making Site

Post #: 85
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 9:57:59 AM   
ManofKent32

Saw the trailer, looked good and so thought I would give it a go.  Furthermore, Empire had given the film three stars and who are they to get it wrong.

In my opinion, on this occassion I think Empire have been far too generous with its rating.

I like horror films to scare the pants off me, this unfortunatelty didn't.

I had heard of "Silent Hill" the video game but being firmly in the Nintendo base camp I have never had the experince of playing it.  Therefore, I went to see the film based on reviews, trailers, etc. 

To me, the director has failed to draw you into the world of "Silent Hill" by assuming the audience knows something of the back story.  A film should be a story in itself and unfold as you watch it.  Failing that, some form of exposition would have been helpful.

I admit the visuals of "Silent Hill" were rather impressive (some shots were well executed) however with the ropey CGI, bland acting and dire script I wished I had stayed at home.  Furthermore, with a runnung time of two hours - boy does it drag!

The only thing that made me stay to the bitter end of this mess was because I thought my friend was enjoying it - which when we got outside I found to be totally inaccurate.  He was happy to leave after an hour.

Yes this film will have its fans, and if they enjoyed it then the film has achieved something.  For me, this film was a dire mess from beginning to end.

Post #: 86
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 10:09:24 AM   
Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: burgessappleton

A great film that evokes emotions, shocks and amazes with great visual flare.

What are you, fucking kidding? It doesn't evoke any emotion - the only person suggested that we're meant to care for is Rose, and even then she's a whiny idiot and irresponsible mother in the first place.

It shocks and amazes? Have the people that are raving about this film ever turned over the the Kerrang! channel at any point of day? The film is no more visually arresting than your average Marilyn Manson promo, and it's just as noisy and incoherent.

I can't get my head around why people are proclaiming the greatness of this film. I enjoyed the games and was seriously looking forward to this, considering the talent involved. It may be the best video game adaptation, but then it's hardly a high watermark for it to beat in the first place.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

Post #: 87
Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 10:45:42 AM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: burgessappleton

A great film that evokes emotions, shocks and amazes with great visual flare.

What are you, fucking kidding? It doesn't evoke any emotion - the only person suggested that we're meant to care for is Rose, and even then she's a whiny idiot and irresponsible mother in the first place.

It shocks and amazes? Have the people that are raving about this film ever turned over the the Kerrang! channel at any point of day? The film is no more visually arresting than your average Marilyn Manson promo, and it's just as noisy and incoherent.

I can't get my head around why people are proclaiming the greatness of this film. I enjoyed the games and was seriously looking forward to this, considering the talent involved. It may be the best video game adaptation, but then it's hardly a high watermark for it to beat in the first place.

Erm... No i'm not kidding. Its my personal opinion. When Rose is searching for her daughter and she breaks down you do feel for her, at least I did. Saying that i'm an emotional person and feel for people when they are in need. Yes I know its a film but when I watch a film I like to get lost in the whole experience.
And as for your comment on the Kerrang channel, I wouldn't have a clue what your talking about...

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 88
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 10:57:47 AM   
aldaboss

could somoene tell me the closing song.

My god is a boob

Post #: 89
RE: Silent Hill4 Stars - 23/4/2006 12:00:15 PM   
joemanji

Could someone explain to me why, if the little girl has a history of sleepwalking, the family still lives next to:

a) motorway
b) a river
c) a f*ck off cliff / waterfall!!!!

Surely you would move to a safer location?

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Best game to film conversion yet. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI