Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Silent Hill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Hill Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 6:06:58 PM   
Mozza

It seems the world and his wife have imparted their opinion on this movie before Empire has.  For shame Empire.

(in reply to Jexxon)
Post #: 31
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 6:27:28 PM   
burgessappleton

I don't think all the reviews have been that negative. I can't wait to see it. I got my tickets booked for 9:20 tomorrow night. Bring it on!!!!

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 32
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 7:19:37 PM   
meh...

for some reason, i think that review reads like it was for a three star movie. btw, what was the acting, dialogue and structure like?

I don't discriminate. I HATE EVERYONE!

myspace.com/probablyconfused

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 33
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 7:28:22 PM   
ollie_jones

Just got in from seeing Silent hill. 

It's a very entertaining movie, Great music and visually fantastic. The set pieces, costumes, atmosphere and the special effects are incredible. I just wish it was a bit more involving, and more dramatic. 

The acting and dialogue was pretty decent overall, it's not Shakespeare but it does the job. The plot was a bit patchy; it flowed pretty well to be honest even if it was in a rather video game manner. Towards the end there was a "we must explain the entire plot " moment which was a bit annoying, as it could have been  explained through the Sean Bean story line, because as it stands his part in the movie felt like an after thought.

By far the best video game adaptation thus far , the way this film ends does potentially set it up for a sequel based upon the second game (which is the best in the series) So fingers crossed this does well so they get another chance to do it a we bit better.

< Message edited by ollie_jones -- 21/4/2006 7:41:52 PM >

http://www.betterfeelingfilms.com

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 34
Amendment - 21/4/2006 7:48:49 PM   
James Dyer

I've agonised over this this since posting the review (before reading the comments on here as it happens) and yes, I agree that I was too harsh. I've now bumped it up to the three stars it deserves. There are still a great many problems here (Sean Bean's entire sub-plot for example) but there's much to recommend it, especially if you're a fan of the game.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 35
I've completed all the games. I know what I'm talking a... - 21/4/2006 7:58:49 PM   
ps2gether

Great film. Very loyal too the games and very scary.
The most disturbing bit was the screeming babies and the worst but was the "Barbed Wire" scene.

Post #: 36
Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 8:16:19 PM   
kingkong66

I'm scared, i was at the cinema 2day i saw 8 below which wasn't that bad. Any way on my way out i picked up a leaflet and it said silent hill was an 18. please tell me its a 15

Post #: 37
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 8:24:43 PM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingkong66

please tell me its a 15

It's a 15...

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to kingkong66)
Post #: 38
Oh dear - 21/4/2006 8:48:18 PM   
Chicken_Little

Expecting this to be the first good game to movie adaptation... Boy was I wrong. Shabby direction (Gans was amazing on Crying Freeman and Brotherhood of the Wolf, what the hell happened?!) awful acting and Sean Bean's accent was bloody atrocious. A weak premise, practically no scares whatsoever and spends its time satisfying gamers by showing freaks every 20 minutes while inbetween giving us a bland back story which is handed to us on a plate right at the end anyway. Saying this is the best game adaptation so far isn't good enough.

Post #: 39
If you liked the game... - 21/4/2006 9:08:22 PM   
crogrob

...then you'll like this. It's that simple. There's moments of visual brilliance here and some good gory moments. Just go with it and you'll enjoy yourself. One thing's for sure, it's the best videogame film adaptation I've ever seen.

Post #: 40
RE: If you liked the game... - 21/4/2006 9:34:33 PM   
Fullmetal_Alchemist

Went to see it earlier, and really enjoyed it.  The monsters (especially Pyramid Head) all looked great, and it was a good idea to get the man responsible for the game music to do the score here too.  The film really does look like the games, and I especially liked the alternate world. 

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't use more of the monsters, especially Pyramid Head, who for such a bad-ass has a very short time on screen and doesn't do very much apart from one kill (as OMG as it was)  and I wasn't too keen on Sean Bean's accent either.  Plus the ending did feel a bit meh-ish as well

Overall I'd probably give it 4/5.

I will never give up...I will never go back on my word. That is my nindo, my ninja way!

HagaRen/LOTR/Harry Potter/Naruto fangirl and co-leader of the Cult of Captain Obvious

A DIVERSION!

(in reply to crogrob)
Post #: 41
- 21/4/2006 9:34:36 PM   
Chaos Engine

I'm going to see this on the basis of Gans' "Freeman" & "Brotherhood", its a shame there was no room in the story for some Dacascos martial arts fucking wizardry. still.......

Post #: 42
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 9:52:21 PM   
Neth

To say Silent Hill is the most faithful video game adaptation yet is actually pretty damning praise. The film feels like an episodic series of levels ("Hurrah! We've made it to the Hotel Level!") and the dialogue is woeful at the best of times. Radha Mitchell (who can be a damn fine actress, as proven in Melinda & Melinda and High Art) is given nothing much to do other than run around and either ask "What's going on?" or respond to the same question with "I don't know!"

The visuals are at times quite striking, but on the whole feel like outtakes from the equally-poor The Cell, and by the time the admittedly interesting third act arrives (and it feels like it takes forever to get there), you feel worn down by the confused plotting and crappy performances. The ending undoes the good work of the climax, however, and leaves a heading-scratching nasty aftertaste and a series of plotholes big enough to drive a tank through.

In its favour, the music and use of noise add a vaguely creepy atmosphere to the film (mimicking the same effect they had in the games) and fans of the source material will relish seeing some of the twisted creations writ large on the big screen. Further to this, the end credit sequence is actually the most eloquent part of the whole film. Yet Silent Hill's greatest crime is that for a horror film based on an undeniably creepy game, it's simply not in the least bit scary.

edit: Oh, and I'm pretty sure I heard Mitchell utter the old Konami cheat at one point, too. Sounded like it, anyway.

< Message edited by Neth -- 21/4/2006 10:32:19 PM >

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

Post #: 43
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 10:21:48 PM   
Chiastic Slide

Just got home from seeing it.  A film of two halves.  Loved the first half, genuine scares, creepy monsters, very good sound design and score.  The fog in the outdoor scenes was used well.  CGI was mostly of a fairly high standard.  The screaming babies were horrible.  And Pyramid Head!!

Second half was average really, and a bit Monty Python with all the "Witch! Burn her!!".  The trip down to see the demon was good but the scenes in the church were a bit ham-fisted.  I can't understand complaints of an incomprehensible plot, though, I thought everything was pretty well explained.  The ending was slightly drawn out, but ultimately satisfying.

One very commendable aspect was that it did try to avoid the usual horror cliches, like making you jump.  I don't think there was actually a single "jump" moment.  The scares creep up on you, silently and gradually, like in a real nightmare.

Overall me and the misses really enjoyed it.  I'd give it a solid 4/5.  By FAAAAR the best video game movie.

< Message edited by Chiastic Slide -- 21/4/2006 10:27:20 PM >

Submitted!!

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 44
RE: Silent Hill - 21/4/2006 10:23:07 PM   
Miller

Does anyone remember Mario Bros? It all started there I think, this terrible lets make movies out of video games thing. I might be wrong though, there may have been another one before that but I'm wracking my brain here and trying to think back to all the scummy arcades I inhabited as a little whipper snapper and I can't for love nor money remember anything before that. I certainly don't remember a pacman movie or a bubble-bobble movie. I watched Resident Evil and had to restrain myself from throwing a rubber brick at the TV. As for Doom, well that was just shit.. Worse than Tombraider which at least had Angelina in it. I'm not sure but was there a movie made out of double dragon? Sorry, gone off on a tangent. Silent Hill. Looks okay. Chris gans. Nice to look at at. But why the great expectations? It'l be alrite I think and then I'll come home and watch something decent. Cheers... Ciao.  

(in reply to Goatmaster)
Post #: 45
Uwe Boll, Take notes - 21/4/2006 10:44:07 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

The problem with most video game movies that the director will pass off any old bolloks, attach the name of a popular video game and hope it sells. Silent Hill the movie has it's flaws but at least Gans bothered to make an actual film. It's entertaining, has some genuinely creepy moments and actually encourages the audience to think. Disappointed about Pyramid Head though.

Post #: 46
RE: Uwe Boll, Take notes - 21/4/2006 10:50:53 PM   
wesker

Empire originally gave it 2? Yes that is freakin harsh!

I'd say 4.

Good acting, medium dialogue, fantastic sets, great atmosphere, some nail-biting tension. Odd but thoughtful ending.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Go see it for yourselves folks!

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 47
RE: Uwe Boll, Take notes - 21/4/2006 11:01:02 PM   
Those_wedontspeak_of

Glad Empire changed their verdict to 3 stars...makes it easier to go see

(in reply to wesker)
Post #: 48
RE: Uwe Boll, Take notes - 21/4/2006 11:01:27 PM   
wannabe

Watched the film this morning, I thought it is easily the best game adaptation by far (Paul W Anderson, please note)...I must admit the acting was mediocre from both Radha and Sean, but what else can they do...they looked scared and they say 'What's happening, or where am I?"

I enjoyed the finale, much to the dismay of my friends, but I was disappointed about Cybil's storyline, it' wasn't true to the game, but should have been!!!

All in all, I'll watch it again and I'd enjoy it...I don't think how they could do a seqeul though, with that ending!!!

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 49
RE: Uwe Boll, Take notes - 21/4/2006 11:12:25 PM   
ollie_jones

quote:

was disappointed about Cybil's storyline, it' wasn't true to the game, but should have been!!!

*spoilers*

The second game is about a man whos wife died a while back, but got a letter from her saying she was in Silent Hill. It could be loosley based on that with Sean Beans character going to Silent Hill to look for Rose (again)

http://www.betterfeelingfilms.com

(in reply to wannabe)
Post #: 50
RE: I've completed all the games. I know what I'm talki... - 21/4/2006 11:51:08 PM   
Jexxon

Does this bumping-up-of-stars happen often, or is it just Silent Hill that gets special treatment? And why not use bumping-down-of-stars (see: Star Wars ep 1-3)?

(in reply to ps2gether)
Post #: 51
Silent Hill - 22/4/2006 12:56:56 AM   
Rob Wilki

Finally a decent video game movie. This film to me has stayed truer to the game than any of the other movies based on video games. I praise the Gans for not making this film into an action film like Anderson made Resident evil into an action film.
The CGI work in the film was very well done and Pyramid Head looked awsome.

Even the town looked brilliant with certain areas of the games all there mapped out and detailed to perfection. Fans of the Games will also be able to pick out sceens from the game in this film.

In all honesty i could not find much wrong with this film at all where as i've been able to find fault after fault with other video game movies. I even found the ending to be a damn good one although some of you may disagree.

All i can say now is bring on a sequel with the same high quality of this one.

P.S (Paul W Anderson if you have read this stay away from making silent hill films i don't want one of my favorite games getting destroyed by you on the big screen you've already fucked up Resident Evil)

Post #: 52
RE: Silent Hill - 22/4/2006 1:02:01 AM   
nevergreen

Pluses:

Extremely loyal adaptation
Disturbing rather than a series of shocks
Great use of sound and music
Visually stunning

Minuses

Last act was poor but I always thought it would be very tricky to bring this film to a reasonable end.
Too loyal an adaptation.  The puzzle and level aspects of the game seemed very out of place within the film.

I still quite enjoyed it though so would have to give it 3.5/5

"You were out of the trio a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Im bored. Episode 1 bored.

(in reply to Jexxon)
Post #: 53
RE: If you liked the game... - 22/4/2006 1:33:53 AM   
the_jody

Chicken_Little? You're talking c*ap. Say what you want, but you can't say Gans poorly directed the film!!!! He was a genius!! His visionary masterpiece was brimming with ideas and imagination; very organic, and Radha Mitchell pulled off her role excellently; genuinely teary and terriffied at first, and increasingly ballsy and vengeful later on.

TOP STUFF!!

"Get out of my way, I'm fabulous"

(in reply to crogrob)
Post #: 54
RE: If you liked the game... - 22/4/2006 2:10:39 AM   
aldaboss

Just back.
I loved it.For some reason I can forgive scripting if the visuals are right. For me it was visually stunning. Just remarkable. PH was so bad ass and that one kill was just OUCH. Very underused.Him and darth maul are up there for the most underused.
The sound was brilliant and i felt as if i was playing it again. It was very faithfull as well and when the siren went off......i was like "here we go again"
the dialogue was abit shit at times.Felt like the matrix sometimes,visually great but scripted arse wise at times. Some people laughed at "i think there was a fire!"
It was very very very fucked it. No shocks...justt constantly fucked up.Exactly like the game!
Music was great too. Oh and at one stage i thought we might get some girl on girl.
Also...then ending..burn the witch was abit off...expected queens of the stoneage to pop out. Although...we the bloody finale kicked in...ouch.
over all..great...fucked up journey.exactly how i wanted it to look.
BEST THING
It looked just amazing. Id did the same for me as sin city did last year.

WORST THING
Scripting and delievery at times was arse and sean beans accent was bollocks.

My god is a boob

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 55
RE: Silent Hill - 22/4/2006 2:30:33 AM   
Aishling

< Message edited by Aishling -- 23/2/2013 8:32:26 PM >

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 56
RE: Silent Hill - 22/4/2006 2:37:55 AM   
Aishling

< Message edited by Aishling -- 23/2/2013 8:32:50 PM >

(in reply to Aishling)
Post #: 57
Awful - 22/4/2006 2:40:27 AM   
Babyshamble

Really, really bad. Stupid plot, terrible dialogue, just utter crap. The most disappointing aspect was how thoroughly boring it was. I was expecting a scary, fun movie, yet the majority of it was Rhada Mitchell running around. Had a couple of nice visual moments but not enough to compensate for a lack scares.

Post #: 58
RE: Awful - 22/4/2006 2:49:09 AM   
nevergreen

I think this nicely sums up the highly contrasting viewpoints of everyone.

quote:

Wow. Just wow. Silent Hill is probably the single most fucked up thing you will see this year. And man, does it have me torn in two. Deranged, psychotic and occasionally schizophrenic, Silent Hill is both a resounding success and a colossal failure. Having walked out of this slack jawed I can fully understand why the studio hates it. Because, frankly, many people will. And yet I can just as easily see why Avary and Gans are proud of it. They have a lot to be proud of. This is, after all, the very first truly faithful adaptation of a video game ever made. The question is: is that necessarily a good thing?

"You were out of the trio a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Im bored. Episode 1 bored.

(in reply to Babyshamble)
Post #: 59
Silent Hill 3 Stars... - 22/4/2006 10:01:55 AM   
burgessappleton

Well even thought the review is very brief and doesn't go into any detail i've got to say i'm impressed that the star raing has gone up to 3 stars
Last night it was only 2 stars... I'm now happy and content with the Empire review. Hehee!

(in reply to nevergreen)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Hill Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI