Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Silent Brill!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Brill! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent Brill! - 18/9/2006 5:35:38 PM   
burgessappleton

I agree with Edge... Tis good to see skeletonjack back with his opinion in full. I fully accept people both like and dislike this film, as with all films ever created. However, its hard not to feel a little annoyed when people slate things without any real explanation. So like I said before, its good to see you came back to explain yourself.

(in reply to Edge)
Post #: 361
Rough - 26/9/2006 4:22:35 PM   
young flannigan

This film only added to my hangover I'm afraid!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 362
Rough - 26/9/2006 4:22:38 PM   
young flannigan

This film only added to my hangover I'm afraid!

Post #: 363
Silent Hill - 4/11/2006 11:58:59 PM   
killervideotape

A visual treat from start to finish, Silent Hill is a faithful, horrifying and suspenseful rollercoaster. With imaginative effects, brilliant little touches and some brutal imagery, it is a thrill ride for the senses. Radha Mitchell and the young girl are superb, and the direction almost flawless. This only suffers from a soundtrack which at times is frightening but is frequently incredibly jarring. Superb story, superb climax and superb denouement (what is Silent Hill? Hell? Limbo? Purgatory? A different Dimension?), this film is excellent from start to finish.

Post #: 364
Silent Hill - 4/11/2006 11:59:01 PM   
killervideotape

A visual treat from start to finish, Silent Hill is a faithful, horrifying and suspenseful rollercoaster. With imaginative effects, brilliant little touches and some brutal imagery, it is a thrill ride for the senses. Radha Mitchell and the young girl are superb, and the direction almost flawless. This only suffers from a soundtrack which at times is frightening but is frequently incredibly jarring. Superb story, superb climax and superb denouement (what is Silent Hill? Hell? Limbo? Purgatory? A different Dimension?), this film is excellent from start to finish.

Post #: 365
- 31/1/2007 7:34:41 PM   
moviemaniac2

Silent Hill flicks the right switches with scary monsters and mystic mythology but after 40 minutes, it just feels like you’re sitting and watching someone play Silent Hill… for two long hours. , and any flick that requires a ten-minute, Scooby Doo-style flashback to illuminate the recesses of it’s plot, is sorely off the mark.

Post #: 366
Our Town - 22/3/2007 10:15:50 AM   
Kimice

Silent Hill is based on the video game and, unlike many conversions from some form of media to film, this film stays faithful to its origin, creating fear and suspense, mystery and fright. Its faithfulness to the game is impeccable as both worlds of Silent Hill are brought to life; from the mist filled streets and dicrepit buildings to the peeling walls and rusted structures. The soundtrack used is taken from the game which creates the atmosphere familiar to any gamers who have entered this world before.
Ok, no secret. I thought it was brilliant because I don't like directors taking ideas that have already been created and trying to make them their own. I watched this and it was like I was watching a very real version of the game. I'm not used to being the one hiding from the screen, but I was, and it gave such a scare to friend there are places she still doesn't dare go without me.

Post #: 367
good looking... - 7/6/2007 11:58:34 AM   
Danielle116725

I think that the look of the film is fantastic but the story is definatly lacking!
The storyline is soooo confusing!
however, I'm still using the film for my Final Major project! heehee
xx

(in reply to Kimice)
Post #: 368
RE: good looking... - 7/6/2007 5:33:19 PM   
mrdoom14

Awful. It may be good looking but they forgot to put the dialoge that keeps the audience from being bored out there mind. 

< Message edited by mrdoom14 -- 7/6/2007 5:35:06 PM >

Last Films I Watched
Tell No One
Hot Fuzz

(in reply to Danielle116725)
Post #: 369
RE: good looking... - 9/6/2007 1:02:35 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Disagree, dialogue was fine. You get the gist of these films and should not go in expecting AMAZING talk scenes, although its unwarranted criticisim anyway. I thought the dialogue was fine for a genre film and it is BY FAR the best video game adaptation to date. I could not belive how faithful it was to the game and the sense of atmosphere and the score are all top notch. One of the best horror flicks I saw last year to come out of the States, the film's look and feel reminded me somewhat of Beyond, especially the last scenes of that movie. Great film. You either like this sort of thing or you dont.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 370
RE: good looking... - 9/6/2007 4:23:56 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Danielle116725

I think that the look of the film is fantastic but the story is definatly lacking!
The storyline is soooo confusing!
however, I'm still using the film for my Final Major project! heehee
xx

whats soooooo confusing about it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Danielle116725)
Post #: 371
Slightly Biased - 20/6/2007 9:29:05 PM   
thegoonie

As an old fan of the games I have a slightly biased opinion on Silent Hill, however there are definitely things that stop this being a great film i.e. the dialogue. However the visuals are awesome and overall I enjoyed very much, if you were a Silent Hill games fan you should enjoy too.

Post #: 372
Slightly Biased - 20/6/2007 9:29:06 PM   
thegoonie

As an old fan of the games I have a slightly biased opinion on Silent Hill, however there are definitely things that stop this being a great film i.e. the dialogue. However the visuals are awesome and overall I enjoyed very much, if you were a Silent Hill games fan you should enjoy too.

Post #: 373
RE: Slightly Biased - 7/1/2008 1:37:38 PM   
dracovir

This film is quite possibly the best video game adaptaion yet.  I know that isn't saying much but it also stands as a very good film in it's own right.  It stays true to the premise of the first game, follows the plot pretty closely (although the protagonist was male in the game) and several key characters and locations from the game are used.  The line in Empire's verdict, about how it feels too much like watching someone else play the game, well what can I say?  That is one of the highest compliments you could lay onto an adaptation like this.  (And Silent Hill games are just as entertainingly scary watching someone play them as playing them yourself.

The camera angles, from slightly unsettling in 'normal' Silent Hill to the weird but wonderful angles in the 'alternate' town are spot on, directly lifted from the games, the music adapted from Akira Yamaoka's original scores, set design, costume and character design, for the most part sees a very close attention to detail.  The film fits in perfectly with the franchise's canon without needlessly deviating to satisfy studio exec's comforts (here I'm looking at you who took the gateway to hell and armies of demons out of the otherwise enjoyable Doom movie - you know who you are).

One point of criticism I see thrust at this film quite a lot though is it's running time.  Too long, they say.  If anything it was about an hour too short, to do true justice to the games, allowing due time for the various elements of the town and its denizens to develop and reveal themselves as they do in the game (ie the Red Pyramid serves a concept of deeply psychological terror in the Silent Hill 2 game, but if you haven't played that you would be lost as to its intentions in the film  I won't spoil it for any that are yet to play that gem from behind the sofa).  Many of these critics cite that the only hooro film allowed to have a running time past 2 hours is the Exorcist because... well, its the Exorcist.  What a stooooopid point to make in a review, and has no relevence to what Silent Hill is about.

In short, it is one of the more superior horror films to have been released in the past decade, a refreshing breath of fresh air in this muddy pot hole of remakes, post modern satires and general crap destined for late night channel 5 slots.  Top notch flick for fans of the games, and not too shabby for horror fans in general neither.

< Message edited by dracovir -- 7/1/2008 1:47:19 PM >

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to thegoonie)
Post #: 374
RE: positive reviews! - 3/4/2008 10:54:54 PM   
CocoIndiana

I've seen the film.
It's alright. Too cliche though. Then it tries to battle the cliche by putting a bit of gore in there. But it doesn't work. It tries to work, but fails.
It's good enough, though. Not a complete and total waste of time.
Can't hold a candle to the game, though.

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 375
RE: positive reviews! - 4/4/2008 12:06:09 AM   
Maria Noir

Note: I wrote this in a different thread, but thought that I'd post it here as I'm a big fan of the games.

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

Yamaoka, as the game series' lead producer as well as score composer, was also given final say over the script - though I'm not certain if that was Gans being respectful for the fans, or if it was contracted.  Still the best adaptation to date.

Since the standard of videogame adaptations is deplorable you're probably right. However, in no way is Silent Hill a good film, whether Konami was involved or not. It was a mistake to adapt the Alessa/Cheryl scenario. The script still played out like a videogame, which made it extremely dull to watch. They also tried to inject some sense into the background of the town. The most intriguing aspect about the Silent Hill series is that there is no explanation offered. There have been so many debates as to whether the town actually exists or is simply in the minds of the games' protagonists. That air of mystique had completely evaporated in the film. Then to add insult to injury they throw in Pyramid Head to appease the fan boys. They reduced one of the greatest villains in videogame history to a silly set-piece. In Silent Hill 2, Pyramid Head was a manifestation of James' darkest thoughts and actions. There was an affinity between the antagonist and the protagonist. He wasn't just conjured up out of thin air to dispatch a whiny cult member. There was absolutely no place for him in the film.

If they really wanted to make a decent film, they should have taken inspiration from the storyline of Silent Hill 2. The only aspects that should have remained completely original were the music and the milieu. Why not take a minor character from the series and make them the protagonist in a backstory? That would please fans and allow the film to stand on its' own. It would complement the videogames, not take from them.

In my opinion, the games would never make a good film, seeing that they draw heavily from the likes of Blue Velvet and Jacob's Ladder. As a videogame series, Silent Hill was fresh and bold. As a film, it is banal and hackneyed.

< Message edited by Maria Noir -- 4/4/2008 12:09:56 AM >

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to CocoIndiana)
Post #: 376
RE: positive reviews! - 4/4/2008 1:49:11 PM   
CocoIndiana

I still think it's cliche.
Not a bad thing though.
I agree with the boldness

(in reply to Maria Noir)
Post #: 377
not bad... - 8/4/2008 7:13:33 PM   
elleisme

very creepy and atmospheric, disturbing without being revolting, its certainly worth a watch (but dont expect to be too scared). i found this film entertaining enough, but would have to agree that i felt as though i was watching someone else playing a game at certain points.

Post #: 378
Twisted shit....but DAMN I love it!!! - 30/4/2008 11:15:29 AM   
tallaght24

One of my fave horrors and nails the vibe of the game. Loved every blood-soaked minute of it!

Post #: 379
The Most Beautiful Horror Film Ever Made? - 9/7/2008 1:22:45 PM   
blaud

While there's no denying the plot is flawed, cliched and riddled with holes, the art direction is perfect, the musical score is incredible, and this movie truly is faithful to the game series. The eerie and nightmarish atmosphere is superbly realised, and the set pieces are fantastic.

Post #: 380
Silent HIll, Genius. - 7/8/2008 8:46:57 PM   
Horrorguru

This film is essentially a hacked together script taken from the konami games, Silent hill and Silent Hill 3. for many gamers like myself, any mention of a film adaptation of this franchise was met with 'Ah shit Paul anderson's going to ruin another brilliant game franchise. Thankfully the film was made with the true silent hill fans in mind and the end product is beautifully eerie and nightmarish.
I think it works as a film, however people who dont play the games might be dissapointed, after all this is not the resident evil movies (Resident evil movies have little to do with the brilliant games.)
I think if your intelligent and can appreciate the foreboding sense of evil instead of McHorror films then you will love it.
Its Lovecraft, Stephen King and japanese weirdness thrown into a blender. brilliant.

Post #: 381
Pants - 3/11/2008 9:56:33 AM   
Pipkin3

Never played the game, but this was a bit rubbish! Disgusting, but not scary. All the sets and locations were the only impressive thing worth mentioning. Perhaps I'd like the game more. Hey, Resident Evil scared me as a game, so I should try it....

Post #: 382
SPOILERS!! - 9/11/2008 1:14:49 PM   
loretta27

Bloody awful - I nearly lost the will to live while watching this ridiculous, self-indulgently long piece of laborious tosh!
Good actors are wasted, and the ending is so disappointing - after all the main characters go through in Silent Hill, they bloody die!!??

Post #: 383
RE: SPOILERS!! - 24/11/2008 11:41:10 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Watched this last night after borrowing it from a friend, I thought it was actually pretty damn good. How come in art house a lack of plot but acute visual flair, atmosphere and feeling is considered a master piece but when it's based on a computer game it's considered a 3 star, step in the right direction? Ah well thought despite it's dubious plot, it was pretty disturbing and very atmospheric. Big brotherhood of the wolf fan and I can't wait to see what Gans can come up with next.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to loretta27)
Post #: 384
RE: SPOILERS!! - 24/11/2008 11:44:12 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Watched this last night after borrowing it from a friend, I thought it was actually pretty damn good. How come in art house a lack of plot but acute visual flair, atmosphere and feeling is considered a master piece but when it's based on a computer game it's considered a 3 star, step in the right direction? Ah well thought despite it's dubious plot, it was pretty disturbing and very atmospheric. Big brotherhood of the wolf fan and I can't wait to see what Gans can come up with next.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to loretta27)
Post #: 385
Silent Hill, an intelligent game turned into an intelli... - 4/3/2009 7:19:09 PM   
Horrorguru

Hands up those of us who are bitterly dissapointed with the crap that is the RESIDENT EVIL live action films ( games are brilliant.)
Luckily SILENT HILL has had a pain free transition, the film is eerie, its like David lynch and H.p. Lovecraft were thrown into a blender. Gan's direction is faultless, Naysayers and people brought up on Junk food films Like the Resident Evil live action series may be dissapointed, You see to understand silent hill you need some intelligence. A masterpiece, destined to become a cult classic.

Post #: 386
Silent Hill - 6/11/2012 2:56:08 PM   
norgizfox

Replacing scares and gore with tension, Silent Hill is one hellish ride to sit through. While the plot may be difficult to follows, its all part of the experience as the viewers are tossed into a ringwork of mystery and peril, something that singles this out from any other horror film. It's a thriller that's frightening, yet beautiful, largely due to the amazing set designs and visual effects artwork.

Post #: 387
RE: Silent Hill - 20/12/2012 3:42:06 PM   
Phubbs

Silent Hill (2006)

This Japanese created horror came along after the hugely popular 'Resident Evil' both in terms of the game and the film. Where as the first Resi Evil was a more standard action fest that ran with a generic plot similar to 'Aliens', 'Silent Hill' is a completely different approach. That approach being the film makers actually based this film on the actual game.

That is the first thing you notice straight away, this film is an actual horror film and tries to recreate the tension from the eerie game. The visuals in this film are actually pretty good and the whole thing certainly does feel like a videogame in the sense of camera angles, lighting and general atmosphere.

I must admit to being very impressed with the whole look of the film. Its not watered down in any way, there's plenty of blood, the monsters are highly detailed and very creepy (Pyramid Head looking damn good I must say), the town is rendered really well, it chilling, very dark and brings the game to life in a truly surprising way. A cheap run of the mill straight to DVD film this is not...amazingly.

The plot is slightly disappointing in the sense that it kinda wanders. At first the film is a solid ghost story with demons, intrigue and imagery that you may see in many Japanese horrors ('The Ring' for one with all the little girl shots). Unfortunately later the story seems to gravitate towards more of a religious theme including cults and witch hunting which is a completely different horror genre really. That's not what you expect and it weakens the film as all the demons, monsters and mutilated bodies all turn out to be just incarnations from a young child's mind (I think).

The whole 'person getting revenge by using his/her anger manifested in monsters/creatures' isn't too original really but I do believe this feeds into the videogames story, or at least various ideas from all the games. The film isn't short on bad bits though, can't escape that I'm afraid. Casting Sean Bean as an American was not the best idea really, his attempt is brave but heavily flawed. The odd silly moment including when 'Rose' heads off down into the hospitals basement, the lift seems to drop about a hundred levels! how deep does this building go!?.

The other main issue I had was the rather weak ending, a big anti climax really with a tame CGI finale. Not scary and not particularly interesting because you don't feel the bad guys are getting a good drumming. I also didn't get the finale twist at the end where 'Rose' and 'Sharon' seem to have remained in this alternative realm or dimension? how and why?? are they maybe dead? what gives here?.

You must give kudos to Gans for what he has accomplished here. Who'd have thought an adaptation of a horror videogame, which isn't exactly too far from the Capcom equivalent, would actually turn out to be a stable accurate conversion. The films survives on visuals and design of course, performances aren't that great and the story limps to a conclusion but it still manages to give you shivers whilst you watch.

(in reply to norgizfox)
Post #: 388
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Brill! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI