Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Silent DVD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent DVD Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent DVD - 24/8/2006 6:48:28 PM   
burgessappleton

Erm.... well I had a leaflet from virgin megastores saying that the DVD was in a special tin case thing ( i think it was a red kinda tin case, just like the special edition Resident Evil 4 for PS2).... And anyway, I've just checked the website and it doesn't mention any special case!?! So i'm none the wiser.

If i order the DVD from Play.com it will arrive in the post on Saturday before its due out, however if i wait till Monday I can get the special HMV case / cover.

So which option would you choose Silent_Bee??? 

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 331
- 1/9/2006 1:51:05 PM   
AboyNamedSue

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 332
Dumbs down a good computer game script.. - 4/9/2006 2:03:37 AM   
sindoy

Not a huge gaming fan but Silent Hill the game blew me away when I first played it. It actually scared me and I've never been frightened by a horror movie in my life. The game script was good (no matter which of the 3 endings you got) , and it had a storyline which was more than this movie had. Making the protagonist female and pairing her with a creepy female cop with bad lines took away from the characters in the movie and a lot of the detail which made the game what it was was missing here. (the creepy drug subplot or getting access to the clocktower would have been nice) I didn't really care if any of the main characters died. In fact I was sort of hopring for it by the end because they were really annoying. The effects would have been good if they looked less CGI, I could see what they were going for but it didn't really work. The ending was interesting but difficult enough for the audience to accept, why would the main character accept it? Silent Hill was the only game that ever really caught my attention and dragged me into playstation obsession for a few days but this badly scripted movie with irritating characters and a dumbed down version of the plot of the game just made me drift off in the cinema and wonder what I was going to have for dinner...

Post #: 333
Boooooooo!! - 8/9/2006 1:03:05 PM   
Darth Lex

Boring! Stupid! Incredibly idiotic!

Post #: 334
Silent Brill!!! - 8/9/2006 7:03:46 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: sindoy

Not a huge gaming fan but Silent Hill the game blew me away when I first played it. It actually scared me and I've never been frightened by a horror movie in my life. The game script was good (no matter which of the 3 endings you got) , and it had a storyline which was more than this movie had. Making the protagonist female and pairing her with a creepy female cop with bad lines took away from the characters in the movie and a lot of the detail which made the game what it was was missing here. (the creepy drug subplot or getting access to the clocktower would have been nice) I didn't really care if any of the main characters died. In fact I was sort of hopring for it by the end because they were really annoying. The effects would have been good if they looked less CGI, I could see what they were going for but it didn't really work. The ending was interesting but difficult enough for the audience to accept, why would the main character accept it? Silent Hill was the only game that ever really caught my attention and dragged me into playstation obsession for a few days but this badly scripted movie with irritating characters and a dumbed down version of the plot of the game just made me drift off in the cinema and wonder what I was going to have for dinner...

Sindoy I don't understand all this negativity. Are you sure you've watched the same film? The script may not be brilliant but its hardly badly written. And as for irritating characters, I think they are perfectly fitting for Silent Hill and are acted out very well.

As for the CGI, this has been an issue before. But why??? I understand that the first monsters 'grey children' do look rather cgi when they are pulling at Rose. But does it really detear that much? I actually find that seen rather disturbing and attention grabbing and very intense.

And another great point about this film is how beautiful it all looks, and sounds. Great set design and very Silent Hill camera angles. And the music fits with the on screen images perfectly.

(in reply to sindoy)
Post #: 335
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 8/9/2006 9:24:30 PM   
kumar

ive never played the game, i played resi evil 1 and that scared me so silent hill is a no no. however in the past few days ive been interested

and rented it tonight. i thought it was an alright film, chilling, but alright. from my perspective (as a non gamer) i feel that it is understandable

and can be enjoyed by most, providing you like this shit. anyway, good film!

ps. i take it they are stuck in silent hill forever then? does that mean there could be a sequel?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 336
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 8/9/2006 9:25:14 PM   
kumar

ive never played the game, i played resi evil 1 and that scared me so silent hill is a no no. however in the past few days ive been interested

and rented it tonight. i thought it was an alright film, chilling, but alright. from my perspective (as a non gamer) i feel that it is understandable

and can be enjoyed by most, providing you like this shit. anyway, good film!

ps. i take it they are stuck in silent hill forever then? does that mean there could be a sequel?

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 337
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 9/9/2006 8:06:34 AM   
burgessappleton

They are definately stuck in Silent Hill from my point of view. I think they are neither dead or alive. However, I think for a sequel they may concentrate on a comeplete different set of characters. This is how the game series plays out, same town, different characters and stories. Either way though I wouldn't mind, I think theres still a load more content to get out of Silent Hill. 

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 338
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 11/9/2006 12:41:37 PM   
Darth Lex

quote:

And another great point about this film is how beautiful it all looks, and sounds. Great set design and very Silent Hill camera angles. And the music fits with the on screen images perfectly.

Music???? Loathsome monsters and people burned alive - beautiful?????? Tell me, are you a 'goth'?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...

Post #: 339
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 11/9/2006 12:43:07 PM   
damn im good!

Watched this last night, and didn't quite get it. I've played the games, and really enjoyed them, so was looking forward to this. But I just can't make up my mind about it. It just didn't seem to gel well enough. Nothing wrong with the performances (aside from SB's accent), or the dialogue, but the general feel of the film seemed a bit mix and match. It doesn't seem to have a fluidity to it. Some neat touches, but it wasn't overly creepy, scary, or even suspenseful like the game was. It leaves vast room for improvement if they are going to do a sequel (which I've no doubt they will).  I like Christophe Gans, and have both Crying Freeman and Brotherhood of the Wolf on my DVD shelf, but this won't be getting added with them.

2/5

Don't fuck with the Jedi Master, son.

Post #: 340
Disgusting Hill - 11/9/2006 12:44:51 PM   
Darth Lex

quote:

Music??? Is there any? Loathsome monsters and people burned alive - you say beautiful????? This ain't a thriller, it's total shit.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...

Post #: 341
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 11/9/2006 12:47:24 PM   
damn im good!

Watched this last night, and didn't quite get it. I've played the games, and really enjoyed them, so was looking forward to this. But I just can't make up my mind about it. It just didn't seem to gel well enough. Nothing wrong with the performances (aside from SB's accent), or the dialogue, but the general feel of the film seemed a bit mix and match. It doesn't seem to have a fluidity to it. Some neat touches, but it wasn't overly creepy, scary, or even suspenseful like the game was. It leaves vast room for improvement if they are going to do a sequel (which I've no doubt they will).  I like Christophe Gans, and have both Crying Freeman and Brotherhood of the Wolf on my DVD shelf, but this won't be getting added with them.

2/5 

Don't fuck with the Jedi Master, son.

Post #: 342
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 11/9/2006 5:47:40 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Lex

quote:

Music???? Loathsome monsters and people burned alive - beautiful?????? Tell me, are you a 'goth'?

Yes there is music, Silent Hill music. Not the usual commonly over used tripe. If they had used anything else it wouldn't have been Silent Hill. And when I say beautiful, i'm refering to the visual style of the film. For example, the set design and transitions between the different worlds. And obviously somebody getting burned alive isn't a nice thing, but it did look rather good.

And as for your last question Mista 'Darth Lex', no i'm not a goth. I'm just a happy go lucky homosexual. Urgghhh!!!!!!!! Such a horrible word, lets just stick to the word puff!

(in reply to Darth Lex)
Post #: 343
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 11/9/2006 6:20:26 PM   
King Nate II

Watched this last night, but didn't think too much of it.

The pyramid bloke was good, when he ripped the woman's skin off. Gooey

The story made no sense though, most notably the ending. Could someone please explain it to me, I could just be a bit dense. (I guess this may have been answered before, but it's a big thread and I can't be bothered looking.

There were plus points though. Any, I say ANY film with the Beaners in gets a star just cos it's the Beaners. Radha Mitchell was cute , and her performance was good, so it's win win.

Quite shocking in parts actually, like when the cop was burnt alive

Overall, 2/5. Although if the ending was explained to me, it might get 3. Enjoyable enough, just nothing special.

" Remember, remember the fifth of November, the gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot! "

Ron Burgundy is a god walking amongst mere mortals. So nyah.

Post #: 344
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 12/9/2006 7:20:28 PM   
rich

SPOILER

They died at the start in the car, it was a battle through limbo / purgatory. It's that simple.

So I bought the red tin version. Sean Bean's parts are still such a waste of time.

Meanwhile...
Post #: 345
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 12/9/2006 7:32:27 PM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rich

SPOILER

They died at the start in the car, it was a battle through limbo / purgatory. It's that simple.

Thats what I thought too. However I have one question; if they died in the car why were their bodies not found? I assumed thier spirits were in some kind of purgatory and that they'd crossed over into some other dimension but what of thier bodies? Why did the police not find them dead in the car? Did they ever actually find the car? I can't remember. The policeman told Sean Bean that he'd found the car but we never saw them find it did we? Hmmmm I'm gonna have to watch it again.

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 346
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 10:09:30 AM   
dan5773

I was really looking forward to watching this film, having being a fan of the games. I thought it was good, up to a point. I was most looking forward to seeing how the game environment and characters converted to the screen, and I thought this was done very well. Silent Hill, the place, looked great in both its incarnations, and the majority of its inhabitants were true to the subject matter. So, up to about two thirds of the way through, I was thinking so far so good.
However, the last third of the film was very disappointing. I just got the impression that some exec, at a screening, had said: "OK, we've got lots of monsters, it's very creepy, but no-one has been killed yet. It's supposed to be a horror, so lets get the body count up... oh, and best make them as brutal as possible."
Now, I have nothing against a bit of gore, provided its in context. Unfortunately, once the deaths began (Pyramid Head skinning the girl, the cop burned alive, the barbed wire), the film strayed too far from the subject matter, and just wasn't Silent Hill anymore.
Maybe I'm getting squeamish in my old age, but it just wasn't what I expected, or wanted, to see.
First two thirds: 3/5.
Last third: 1/5
Overall: 2/5.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 347
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 2:11:37 PM   
Edge

I have just been looking through this thread and can't understand why there is so much bashing of this film going on. I am a bit of a gamer and played all of the Silent Hill games, which I loved!!!!

I thought the film was a pretty good adaptation... don't get me wrong it doesn't reveal the meaning of life (which some people seem to think every bleedin' film should), you get people complaining, saying this is not a very accurate translation onto the screen... if we are going to be picky... Do you really wanted to watch someone run from room to room for 6 hours trying to piece together clues? and then there would be 15 different endings (although that would be a good money spinner for the studio eh?).

I think people should look to this film as to what it is, it is just a good old fashioned horror/popcorn flick, I personally loved it and would definately like to see a sequel. There is just no pleasing some people... I have noticed that all darth Lex seems to do is go through the forums bashing other peoples likes/dislikes.

I see things like this if you liked the film... good on you. If not, hey we haven't all got the same tastes... ther is no need to slate other peoples opions. That's it mini rant over and world put to rights!!!

I would give this 4/5

(in reply to dan5773)
Post #: 348
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 3:19:00 PM   
Merly

quote:

I think people should look to this film as to what it is, it is just a good old fashioned horror/popcorn flick, I personally loved it and would definately like to see a sequel. There is just no pleasing some people... I have noticed that all darth Lex seems to do is go through the forums bashing other peoples likes/dislikes.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people like that on this forum and in fact any forum you post on. Once youíve been posting here for some time youíll just learn to ignore those posters always intent on put downs and insults. Everyone should respect each others opinions but it doesnít seem to work that way.

I personally donít understand all the hatred for SH either. I love the film, I really do. I think itís very effective.

(in reply to Edge)
Post #: 349
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 3:20:45 PM   
Merly

Double post.

< Message edited by Merly -- 13/9/2006 4:44:55 PM >

(in reply to Edge)
Post #: 350
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 4:02:07 PM   
phaeton

I thought it was absolutely fantastic...right up until the screen went white and the little girl started talking nonsense. Then it became a pile of bobbins.

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 351
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 4:53:29 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rich

SPOILER

So I bought the red tin version. Sean Bean's parts are still such a waste of time.

but the thing is, inthe DVD edition, the bit where the car flips is cut out, you dont see that bit, so im not quite sure about that

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 352
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 6:01:34 PM   
burgessappleton

Nice to see Silent Hill getting some support. It gets boring reading all the film bashing posts. Anyway, my take on the film is that they aren't dead. Hence the reason no bodies are found. Like somebody said before they are in a state of purgatory... The whole point of Silent Hill is to get people thinking and to come to there own conclusions regarding why the events etc happen. Most films today don't allow there audiences this experience. Makes for a refreshing change... 

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 353
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 9:16:24 PM   
Edge

*possible sequel spoiler*

I think that they are dead/limbo and sean bean will get a letter from his dead wife ala SH2?

I am probably just clutching at straws cos I WANT a sequel... anyone know how well this did at the box office and if there could be a chance of a sequel?

Post #: 354
RE: Silent Brill!!! - 13/9/2006 10:12:57 PM   
vader100

Ok I'll try to get this out in an understandable manner.
SPOILERS

I think they did die in the car crash and it was a battle through purgatory. The scenes with Sean were lit completely differently(warmer colouring etc) to signify that was the land of the living.Silent Hill is the land of the dead and the condemmed.

END SPOILERS
Hope that made sense to someone Film:- 3/5

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Edge)
Post #: 355
- 16/9/2006 12:49:56 PM   
skeletonjack

This is only my opinion of the first hour of the film as I stopped the DVD just after that point. I can't imagine I'll ever restart it again...

Post #: 356
Silent Brill! - 16/9/2006 3:32:58 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: skeletonjack

This is only my opinion of the first hour of the film as I stopped the DVD just after that point. I can't imagine I'll ever restart it again...

Haha.... Very informative and useful post.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 357
RE: Silent Brill! - 16/9/2006 11:18:40 PM   
Edge

I always hold people in high regard who cannot put together a constructive arguement for film bashing...

what is the point in coming into a forum and saying " i don't like that" and nothing else... It is like a Lou and andy sketch from little britain...

Post #: 358
RE: Silent Brill! - 18/9/2006 8:02:04 AM   
skeletonjack

Through a bizarre series of events, (mainly my girlfriend deciding she wanted to see if it got any better) I watched the second hour of the film. I'm afraid my first impressions lasted and I found this second act just as uninspired the first.
The reasoning?
Firstly let me say that I have never played the Silent Hill games. This however shouldn't really matter. A film is a film and I should be able to gain all I need to know from what I am told in the script.
Silent Hill was confusing, poorly paced, and laden with terrible dialogue and acting. The expository flashback sequence felt like it had come straight fom a video game (perhaps it had?) and was painful to watch.
There is an over reliance in CGI these days and for much of  the film the CG looked just that, a computer graphic, again it was just like watching a game being played rather than a motion picture.
On the plus side the set design was impressive and there were a few scenes of bloodletting to keep the gorehounds satisfied, but a film can't just look pretty to survive, it needs more than that.
It is obvious that some people out there really like this movie: that is fine and I have no problem with other peoples opinions. I hope that those who liked it are able to accept that just as they enjoyed the movie others may not have. That is the beauty of art, each person  reacts differently to it, and in not liking something it's not a personal attack on any one persons opinions just a reaction to a movie.

< Message edited by skeletonjack -- 18/9/2006 11:04:16 AM >

(in reply to Edge)
Post #: 359
RE: Silent Brill! - 18/9/2006 1:41:09 PM   
Edge

Nice one for coming back Jack, I have been around on the forum for a while... I don't have a very high post count because I can't be bothered with people criticising my likes and dislikes... You have probably seen it yourself on the forum... so with this in mind I very rarely post...

It was not a personal assault on you,. it is just me being cynical... and you have actually come back with good reasons for you not liking it!!!! Although you have not changed my opinion

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent DVD Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI