Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Silent Thrill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Thrill Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 3:51:46 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: burgessappleton

quote:

Lost is deisgned specifically for TV. Its complexity is a result of this because it allows for more room to devlop plot and characters. If it were turned into a movie, it would be significantly different. In fact it would most likely be nothing like the TV show at all.

Silent Hill is a poorly written, adequately directed film that never escapes the fact that it's a lazy translation of a videogame.

Are you being serious? Silent Hills script I would say is avarage for a film of this type. However, the way it was shot and directed along with the brilliant music was simply stunning. Definately no lazy translation. All films have there bad points but labelling this film a lazy translation is a bit extreme. Think about this film and then think about the last time you saw something so engaging and suspence driven, it was a treat to see difference instead of the same old same old.
Like darkwonders said 'maybe a few more monsters would have been nice'. Well at least for the mainstream  Oh! And Silent_Bee, thanks for explain your Lost comparison. Cheers!

Suspense? You must have drank a lot of coffee before seeing this or something.

It was nicely directed. It was poorly written. And it was a lazy translation because it was really nothing more than collecting the scenes from the videogame and condensing it into 100 minutes. It had no real atmosphere - it felt like you were watching someone play the game, achieving a particular task and moving step by step towards the conclusion (Go to hotel, find key, go to church, find map, blah blah blah). That's lazy. It wasn't remotely engaging. The characters were for the most part empty and a waste of the talent involved. The music was ridiculous and sounded like it would be more suited to a computer game, not a film. They are completely different mediums and certain things work better in one than the other. The screenwriter and director should have known this.

Well furrybastard, everyones different and it would sure be boring if we all had the same opinions. I don't like coffee so the suspence and tension I felt throughout the film must have been genuine.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 271
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 6:25:34 PM   
the_jody

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lost is deisgned specifically for TV. Its complexity is a result of this because it allows for more room to devlop plot and characters. If it were turned into a movie, it would be significantly different. In fact it would most likely be nothing like the TV show at all.

Silent Hill is a poorly written, adequately directed film that never escapes the fact that it's a lazy translation of a videogame.

Are you being serious? Silent Hills script I would say is avarage for a film of this type. However, the way it was shot and directed along with the brilliant music was simply stunning. Definately no lazy translation. All films have there bad points but labelling this film a lazy translation is a bit extreme. Think about this film and then think about the last time you saw something so engaging and suspence driven, it was a treat to see difference instead of the same old same old.
Like darkwonders said 'maybe a few more monsters would have been nice'. Well at least for the mainstream  Oh! And Silent_Bee, thanks for explain your Lost comparison. Cheers!

Suspense? You must have drank a lot of coffee before seeing this or something.

It was nicely directed. It was poorly written. And it was a lazy translation because it was really nothing more than collecting the scenes from the videogame and condensing it into 100 minutes. It had no real atmosphere - it felt like you were watching someone play the game, achieving a particular task and moving step by step towards the conclusion (Go to hotel, find key, go to church, find map, blah blah blah). That's lazy. It wasn't remotely engaging. The characters were for the most part empty and a waste of the talent involved. The music was ridiculous and sounded like it would be more suited to a computer game, not a film. They are completely different mediums and certain things work better in one than the other. The screenwriter and director should have known this.

Well; I've been away from the message board for a while, and I come back to find.....THIS?

<Puts bitch cap on>

Ok. First off; how many more people are gonna regurgitate the same old tripe about "Ohhh...but it's just like watching someone play the game....mer-mer-mer...go from point A to point B and collect object C...blah blah..."?
Even if this is true, at least it was a purposely orchestrated element of the film rather than just a by-product of, as you say, "laziness".
The director purposely wanted to invoke the feel of the game as much as was possible on the big screen, and chose NOT to veer down the path of radically redesigning the events of the events and plot of the film. Now, it's a matter of opinion which of these you would prefer.
As for the music being apalling; err...I think it was one of the film's strongest points along with the visuals. The industrial slant a lot of the music takes on is purposefully chosen for just that reason, and they hired a separate conductor to re-jig the music so that the quality would show in the film. You should take  note of the excellent mixing the film achieves.
And I found the suspense to be amazing; the film explores a very psychological angle of human emotion, and the constant mystery over the town, the character's motives and eventual outcome of all involved was, for me, gripping.

Oh; and I hate coffee...

"Get out of my way, I'm fabulous"

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 272
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 7:03:30 PM   
untidydubs

FAO The_Jody

Hallo there. I tried to reply to that PM a number of times, but it just doesn't seem to like me and keeps giving me weird messages about how it's not gone through. Gah!

Anyways, just wanted to let you know I'd written a review for this over at my website, and I'd like to know if you agree with me. If you'd like to have a gander, here is the link: http://www.ph-uk.co.uk/post/EEuVllukuyOyyZRVUj.shtml

All best.

You win again, gravity!

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 273
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 7:44:35 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: untidydubs

FAO The_Jody

Hallo there. I tried to reply to that PM a number of times, but it just doesn't seem to like me and keeps giving me weird messages about how it's not gone through. Gah!

Anyways, just wanted to let you know I'd written a review for this over at my website, and I'd like to know if you agree with me. If you'd like to have a gander, here is the link:
http://www.ph-uk.co.uk/post/EEuVllukuyOyyZRVUj.shtml

All best.

Good review UntidyDubs... Get it read Jody!!!

(in reply to untidydubs)
Post #: 274
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 7:51:05 PM   
untidydubs

Thanks, burgessappleton!

You win again, gravity!

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 275
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 7:51:29 PM   
darkwonders

If you take away the music, you take away one of the most important parts of silent hill!!! Try playing the game w/ the music sound off. I would bet it is no where near as scary. And in order for the movie to stay true to the game, the music from the game is a must! For those who didn't like the music... then i guess you have no sense of musical appreciation...

Post #: 276
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 8:00:15 PM   
untidydubs

darkwonders: Agreed. The soundtrack, although directly lifted from the games, was nigh-on perfect. Silent Hill soundtracks have always benefitted from actually being proper music, and not just typical video game ambiance affairs, and always fits the mood. One piece that sticks with me was lifted from the fourth game, when Rose was running through the school (I think) - a bit of a tribal drum-sound to it, if you recall. Wonderfully atmospheric.

You win again, gravity!

(in reply to darkwonders)
Post #: 277
RE: Silent Thrill - 14/5/2006 8:13:14 PM   
darkwonders

quote:

FAO The_Jody

Anyways, just wanted to let you know I'd written a review for this over at my website, and I'd like to know if you agree with me. If you'd like to have a gander, here is the link: http://www.ph-uk.co.uk/post/EEuVllukuyOyyZRVUj.shtml

All best.

I really enjoyed your review as well. Very nicely done. I know that I'm definately getting this movie the first day it comes to dvd. I wonder how long that'll take...

(in reply to untidydubs)
Post #: 278
Silent Thrill DVD - 15/5/2006 5:11:18 PM   
burgessappleton

I was also wondering about the DVD release. Anybody got some news on the DVD!?! If anyone finds anything out make sure ya let us all know. I hoping for a bumper special edition DVD jam packed full of extras. Its certainly the type of film that they can do a huge special edition on...

Bring it on!!! 

(in reply to darkwonders)
Post #: 279
RE: Silent Thrill DVD - 15/5/2006 5:25:31 PM   
maffew

sorry, but have you just made 119 posts in the silent hill thread? you seemed to arrive with it, somehow..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

Post #: 280
Silent Thrill DVD - 15/5/2006 5:36:14 PM   
burgessappleton

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

sorry, but have you just made 119 posts in the silent hill thread? you seemed to arrive with it, somehow..

Erm... sorry, but what are you talking about???
I didn't realise I had to limit myself on the number of posts I made. I'm just passionate thats all. Oh.... and I have posted in other topics. So maffew what are you passionate about? Probably of no interest to me eh!?!

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 281
RE: Silent Thrill DVD - 15/5/2006 5:54:45 PM   
maffew

wasn't criticizing..no need to get all antsy, was just observing!

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

Post #: 282
RE: Silent Thrill DVD - 15/5/2006 5:56:02 PM   
maffew

wasn't criticizing..no need to get all antsy, was just observing!

Post #: 283
RE: Silent Thrill - 15/5/2006 8:01:19 PM   
the_jody

quote:

FAO The_Jody

All best.

Hey Nicccceeee review!! Just read it now and have to say I'm v impressed dubs! It's very balanced and well-written.

I like your point about Pyramid Head; do definately wish he was in the film more! His scene stole the show!

(in reply to untidydubs)
Post #: 284
RE: Silent Thrill DVD - 15/5/2006 8:05:58 PM   
the_jody

quote:

I was also wondering about the DVD release. Anybody got some news on the DVD!?! If anyone finds anything out make sure ya let us all know. I hoping for a bumper special edition DVD jam packed full of extras. Its certainly the type of film that they can do a huge special edition on...

Bring it on!!! 

Me too burgess; hope there will be plenty of extras. Konami released the SH collection with SH 2,3 and 4 in one package recently but there are no extras on that , so hope the movie peeps decide to give the dvd the full works

Post #: 285
RE: Silent Thrill DVD - 15/5/2006 8:16:38 PM   
rich

There wont be anything yet, the cinema release was pretty much simultaneous.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to the_jody)
Post #: 286
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:18:32 PM   
bigfilmfan

went in hoping for a few decent scares and it delivered, had a nice dark look and tone and also some ( just like its source) shockingly sick setpeices (the barbwire scene for one). overall a BLOODY good effort!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 287
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:19:35 PM   
bigfilmfan

went in hoping for a few decent scares and it delivered, had a nice dark look and tone and also some ( just like its source) shockingly sick setpeices (the barbwire scene for one). overall a BLOODY good effort!!

Post #: 288
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:20:29 PM   
bigfilmfan

Post #: 289
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:21:11 PM   
bigfilmfan

Post #: 290
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:21:44 PM   
bigfilmfan

Post #: 291
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:22:16 PM   
bigfilmfan

Post #: 292
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:23:02 PM   
bigfilmfan

Post #: 293
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:23:34 PM   
bigfilmfan

Post #: 294
lots of loverly hills that are silent!! - 18/5/2006 5:24:08 PM   
bigfilmfan

Post #: 295
Silent Hill - 18/5/2006 7:48:45 PM   
maxpower1975

A fairly decent attempt to cross from video game to Film genre but still had too many gaping holes to merit 2 hours on a Wednesday evening. Dialogue was perhaps the most noticeable issue with this film. 'Somethings happened here?' says the cop when she's stood next to a bottomless chasm that appeared from nowehere...Really??

More eerie than scary and the film struggled to cope with the plot line. Very weak characters and what on earth was poor old Sean Bean doing ....
If you like grey you will love this film..other than that nice special effects & that's your small onions...

Post #: 296
Silent Hill - 18/5/2006 7:49:30 PM   
maxpower1975

A fairly decent attempt to cross from video game to Film genre but still had too many gaping holes to merit 2 hours on a Wednesday evening. Dialogue was perhaps the most noticeable issue with this film. 'Somethings happened here?' says the cop when she's stood next to a bottomless chasm that appeared from nowehere...Really??

More eerie than scary and the film struggled to cope with the plot line. Very weak characters and what on earth was poor old Sean Bean doing ....
If you like grey you will love this film..other than that nice special effects & that's your small onions...

Post #: 297
Silent Hill - 18/5/2006 7:50:08 PM   
maxpower1975

Post #: 298
RE: Silent Hill - 19/5/2006 1:07:00 AM   
Silent_Bee

Echo Echo Echo

haha,

WOW! this board is INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE! "its like watching a videogame" Well, DUH! Well done sherlock, it is based on a videogame, what did u expect?!
That like saying "King Kong, its like watching the old king kong film for a long time!!". Kind of obviously mentioned there, thanks for reminding me ;)

Hey, the jody, i think i found your bitch cap! Its quite comfy aswell  har har har.

YES! That review from the guy here with the website is freakin awesome, its nice to see things of this high calibur, rather than the tripe found on rotten tomatoes! LOL
23% fresh?!?! Citizen Kane gets 100%? only coz people reviewed it to suck up to their film school lecturer.
I dred to think what people will say about the da vinci code on here! "its like reading the book!!", did anyone see resident evil? I wonder if anyone said "its like playing the game?" Whats that? NO? Well, thats because it wasnt even related to the source material one bit! So i understand the "its like playing the game" to be quite a compliment! Well done christophe!

I understand the film to be extremely closely related to the game, and i am proud to get the dvd (please have more than 2 discs!!) and put it next to the plethora of silent hill stuff i have.

Oh, also, everyone, the jody, burgessappleton, get your butts to www.spawn.com and sign up to the boards, go to the toys board, PLENTY of people want a pyramid head, and the guy who moderates the board knows todd mcfarlane, and gives feedback. So, generally ,someone in the toy business will read the plethora (PLETHORA!) of pyramid head requests.
Also, check ebay, people are creating their own!

So, it seems me, burgessappleton and the jody return to give the people of loud hill a silent ear-bashing ;)
Hey, what happened to the reviews? I didnt think "lazy" or "its like playing the game" was a review!! Are they sure that they know its a film and not a game? I actually do feel happy for christophe for people having this reaction, because had people believed that it was the game, then he stayed faithful to the game, and the fans will be pleased. All i can hope for though is a lovely pyramid head figure and a wonderful 3 disc silent hill special edition dvd in a lovely textured boxed set full of special features, two commentaries, tonnes of alternate endings (which you can chose to view naturally) like you could with the hide and seek dvd. It would be remaining true to the game then, plus, not forgetting a ufo ending ;) Plus more important out-takes, etc. No crappy games, i hate those. Also, please i hope that they dont have an awful slideshow (put it on dvd-rom if pics must be on there) or a pittyful cast and crew bio and "theatrical trailer".

Well, thats me done for now. All i wait for now is silent hill 5, silent hill 2 the movie, pyramid head figure and the darkness to enshroud my town ;)

Oh, one thing about the music, i have all soundtracks plus bonus tracks like the ones in the game in the background etc (ufo songs etc) its awesome, but i have listened to them so many times, that i knew every piece, and knew what game, what scene and all that. I love to play the games for the first time and let the music take control, sometimes i feel a new soundtrack for the film from akira yamaoka would of been amazing, but you know. Its battle between game or film isnt it?

< Message edited by Silent_Bee -- 19/5/2006 1:09:21 AM >

(in reply to maxpower1975)
Post #: 299
RE: Silent Thrill - 19/5/2006 4:39:03 AM   
tanithrea

I went to see this film, possibly with too many expectations.   The video game images from (what now seems like a lifetime ago) when the first silent hill game came out were way too scary for me to play (big girl really). 

I was excieted by the trailers and so looking forward to some good new work i saw down in the cinema and waited. 

The Plot line was obviously trying to stay true to the original framework but at the cost of lingering too long in much of the film, there was a great deal of standing staring and more frustratingly when there was something coming.  The pace was very flat, i felt the whole thing drag on and at 2hrs 30mins it was way too long.  The shots perhaps illuded that the pause was setting up an amazing shot or effect but it wasn't.  The effects were just not convincing or somehow emotionally detached, i felt no fear or horror at the things there. 

The characters were not exactly IQ high as some other post have mentioned things like 'something has happened here' emmm DUH!!! giant evil want to eat you whole, doh!  Why did silly cop not get in the lift? DOH!?
Sean Bean seemed to appear from nowhere and had me thinking no, that's an american who looks just like him due to the strong american accent.  Small part, no real character exposition, no real depth, shame.  

I wouldn't have minded the running time if it had used it all with good cause.  It should have condensed into 1hr 30mins, and it wouldn't have hurt to add a little of story at the begining so we see the arc of the characters, the film seems to plunge the viewer straight into the already distressed family and they continue on this downward spiral, which works in some stories, but here i felt like i didn't know them the didn't seem to have any chemistry together and so i didn't care or see any subtle fractures at the start in the portrayal of the family dynamic. 

Exposition for characters not including Alissa not exactly there, maybe her mother then the leader of the cult, but everyone else was pretty weak.  No connection concluded that i just didn't care enough to sympathise or become concerned as to characters eventual fate, although i had worked out the town secret and the twist quite early on.  I was praying for a fast forward button and as my friend pointed out i hadn't noticed i was sighing out of sheer frustration all the time. 

It was not a bad film, but it was not good either.  I would love to get my hands on the footage and re-edit.  It had all the potential but for me personally it didn't pay off.

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Silent Thrill Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI