Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The Driver"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The Driver" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The Driv... - 13/10/2005 6:52:57 PM   
Timon

Got my DVD of the now legendary shorts of The Hire -conceived by David Fincher today!

For those unfamiliar, they are a series of films each episode directed by a different famous director and show the adventures of The Driver as drives several BMWs in a series of adventures.

“Ambush” (John Frankenheimer)
The Driver has to ferry a diamond-dealer to safety in what looks like New York City. Since Frankenheimer was something of a legend in filmmaking circles when it came to car chases, he was the obvious choice to inaugurate the series. However, the story is rather basic, so the car stunts feel rather small-scale, too.

“Chosen” (Ang Lee)
The Driver has to take a young Tibetan monk to a safe house, and the boy gives The Driver a gift that provides a cute reminder of Lee’s then-next film (that would be “The Hulk”). Lee was able to shoot car chases better than Frankenheimer could with “Ambush”, and the warmth and humor found in this short film is charming enough to bring a smile to your face.

“The Follow” (Wong Kar-wai)
The Driver tags the gorgeous wife (played by the goddess-of-a-model Adriana Lima) of a movie star, for the star thinks that his wife is cheating on him. “The Follow” has a very romantic feel to it that was created with great mood music and beautiful night-time shots. This is probably the most artful of the BMW shorts, and the longing that it inspired in me made me wish that I had a great love whom I lost just so that I could have a forlorn story to share, too. :-P

“Star” (Guy Ritchie)
The Driver is hired to give a diva (Madonna, appearing in her hubby’s movie) the ride of her life in order to teach her a lesson. While this is the short that offers the most pure fun, it is also the least consequential of the series.

“Powder Keg” (Alejandro Gonzalez-Inarritu) The Driver accompanies an acclaimed photojournalist from hostile territory to lands friendly to Americans. This one manages to provide social commentary rather than the usual action set pieces, and its elegiac tone moved me to tears. This is also the only one shot with extremely grainy film stock, and the resulting visual look imparts a gritty, third-world weariness on the final product. Gonzalez-Inarritu attacks the drug trade as well as the rich of America whose demand for cocaine ravages South America’s social order. “Powder Keg” also has a heartbreaker of an ending when The Driver discovers what the photographer meant when he said that his mother taught him “how to see”. Were it not for the fact that it played on the Internet before appearing elsewhere, I’m sure that “Powder Keg” would’ve been nominated for some of the most prestigious of film awards like the Oscars.

“Hostage” (John Woo)
Woo’s film is the one that won an award at a film festival, and it offers an intense race against the clock as The Driver tries to save a woman trapped inside the trunk of a car that is sinking into the ocean. This is stylish, aggressive work from a guy who doesn’t even know how to drive a car!!!

“Ticker” (Joe Carnahan)
The Driver does some “Company Business” (i.e. CIA work) as he transports a government agent with an important package. While this is well-made, it seems to contradict the message that “Powder Keg” raised.

“Beat the Devil” (Tony Scott)
It turns out that James Brown sold his soul to The Devil a couple of decades ago, so the Godfather of Soul challenges the Prince of Darkness to a drag race. Tony Scott’s entry throws a bunch of great jokes at the viewer, and the ending is a riot.

Very cool stuff and the DVD comes with some cool features - audio commentaries from ALL the directors and featurettes on all the stunts and driving.

You can get the DVD from www.bmwfilms.com - it's ONLY 4 quid!!!! BUT you need a MASTERCARD/VISA. Well worth it.

NB - It gets withdrawn on Oct 31st so hurry up.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The ... - 21/1/2007 11:15:04 PM   
Timon

Just wondering if anyone else who has the DVD of these have found that THE FOLLOW is corrupted.

I only noticed it the other day and sent the DVD off to Scratch-busters.com in the hope that that would remedy it. No joy so it must be a corrupted disc. Anyone else have this problem?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 2
RE: The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The ... - 22/1/2007 12:31:42 AM   
Explosion in the Sky

Timon, I ordered the DVD from BMW's website early last year and found no problems with it. Maybe your copy is from a badly produced batch. Just a few words from myself on The Hire.

My favourite has always been Wong Kar-wai's entry, which is more poignant then you would ever expect a "promotional film" to be (just watch the scene where The Driver discovers why the woman is running from her husband). It has all the beautiful lyricism you would expect from Wong and I really wished it had been developed into a full-length feature. I also liked Inarritu's film which is also much more than a simple commercial - it explodes with raw energy and intelligence. It's a powerful statement on war and our response to it, shot in Inarritu's typical documentary-like style with handheld cameras (very similar to the look of Babel actually). The others by Woo, Lee and Carnahan are fun, as is Tony Scott's utterly demented contribution. I'm tempted to watch them again tonight.

< Message edited by Explosion in the Sky -- 22/1/2007 12:36:16 AM >

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

New Jarmusch! The Limits of Control

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The ... - 22/1/2007 1:05:26 AM   
Timon

Bugger. That's really annoying. It's only THE FOLLOW that isn't working and you can't get them anymore.

Oh well.

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
Post #: 4
RE: The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The ... - 22/1/2007 9:45:17 AM   
Grunny

I've had this for a while, My dvd works fine and my fav's are Powder Keg and Ticker.

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The ... - 28/11/2012 9:47:16 AM   
Timon

Sounds like Ridley Scott is doing something similar for Jaguar... but with Damian Lewis!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97454

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> The Hire - BMW Shorts With Clive Owen As "The Driver" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI