Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ice Age - 11/4/2006 9:56:51 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Ice Age - 11/4/2006 9:56:53 AM   
premierbaron

Hilarious and entertaining movie!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Ice Age - 11/4/2006 10:18:26 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I know all the hype is about Ice Age 2 these days, which I have yet to see, but the original Ice Age is one of those rare treats you so infrequently stumble across in the world of children's cinema, since adults can relate to it too. The dynamic of Manny, Sid and Diego is brilliantly planned out and Scrat provides the ultimate amusing distraction

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to premierbaron)
Post #: 3
RE: Ice Age - 29/5/2006 9:02:20 PM   
Fenwick

Completely unexpected treat! Hilarious!
Only slightly marred by Ice Age 2

"Your ass is already on the line. The only question is, what are you gonna do about it?"

Snakes on crack!

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 4
RE: Ice Age - 29/5/2006 9:04:20 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I know all the hype is about Ice Age 2 these days, which I have yet to see, but the original Ice Age is one of those rare treats you so infrequently stumble across in the world of children's cinema, since adults can relate to it too. The dynamic of Manny, Sid and Diego is brilliantly planned out and Scrat provides the ultimate amusing distraction

Me too. This was my first DVD as well.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 5
RE: Ice Age - 29/5/2006 9:41:16 PM   
BobaJango

Much better than i expected although not the kind of film i'd want to watch repeatedly. It ain't so funny second time round somehow.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 6
RE: Ice Age - 29/5/2006 9:43:41 PM   
kumar

its not brilliant. but its ok

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 7
RE: Ice Age - 29/5/2006 9:49:22 PM   
Fenwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

Much better than i expected although not the kind of film i'd want to watch repeatedly. It ain't so funny second time round somehow.

Funny, I think its exactly that - I cant count the amount of times Ive watched it. and sadly enough, I quote it daily. Somtimes Ive been known to adopt a Sid-like lisp for days on end............ok not really but the odd word slips in!

"Your ass is already on the line. The only question is, what are you gonna do about it?"

Snakes on crack!

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 8
Good movie - 1/9/2006 3:07:45 AM   
shitmovie

One for th whole family to enjoy.If you are 3 years old to 80 years old it will have you laughing.

Post #: 9
funny - 18/11/2006 8:43:29 PM   
solid snake

taking my young cousin to see this was a real chore. However i was deeply surpised because i found this very enjoyable. Not as good as the Lion King but still very enjoyable.

Post #: 10
- 11/7/2008 12:05:23 AM   
nc_jj

An hilarious classic. Period

Post #: 11
- 11/7/2008 12:05:24 AM   
nc_jj

An hilarious classic. Period

Post #: 12
better than Shrek - 22/12/2008 7:38:16 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

A great movie for all ages. But it could have been funnier

Post #: 13
Better than Shrek - 22/12/2008 7:40:50 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

A great movie for all ages. But it could have been funnier. Sorry about the mistake in my first review of this, I meant 4 stars (below)

Post #: 14
A great effort! - 15/7/2009 6:39:32 AM   
sumiebeg

I loved the way the interaction b/w Sid and the baby. The best installment of the trilogy

Post #: 15
A great effort! - 15/7/2009 6:39:33 AM   
sumiebeg

I loved the way the interaction b/w Sid and the baby. The best installment of the trilogy

Post #: 16
A New Age - 7/10/2009 5:33:45 PM   
S1lent B0b

Really funny & the sequls were just as good
Must watch

Post #: 17
RE: Ice Age - 22/7/2012 6:58:51 AM   
Phubbs

Ice Age (2002)

Possibly the best and most original animated film since 'Toy Story' and it had nothing to do with either CGI giants Pixar or Dreamworks.

To be fair the actual animation of this film is a lot more basic than most other top animated flicks. The film still looks good but has a slightly more Wanna Bros, Merry Melodies look to it in my opinion, hinting at Chuck Jones a little maybe. Backdrops are nice but slightly minimalistic without much detail, same could be said for the main characters also. Of course it could also be simply down to the quality and skill of Blue Sky not being quite on the same level as the big boys.

Obviously aimed at kids so one can't knock the really sappy babyish plot line. Like other CGI flicks it has been made so adults can enjoy also but end of the day the story is silly and juvenile with a mushy happy ending because its for kids.

Again to be really really honest the film is rather average if it wasn't for two simple elements, and they are 'Scrat' and 'Sid'. 'Sid' voiced by Leguizamo is a truly likeable guy that looks cute for the kiddies but gets good laughs for the older folk. Love the lisp Leguizamo used for this guys voice, gives him a crazy Daffy Duck likeness which can't be bad right. Easily the best character out of the main trio and he does have some good lines along with 'Manny' the Mammoth. The saber-tooth tigers are pretty much you regular dastardly bad guys with cliched voices. Leary was an odd choice for 'Diego' (strange name choice too) but his calm quiet tones simmer with deception pleasantly.

I should also add that we may have found a use for Ray Romano's voice which doesn't annoy after five minutes. Yep Romano's voice actually fits the character of 'Manny' perfectly.

For me and I'm sure many others the whole film revolves around the high octane antics of 'Scrat'. His everlasting quest to get a hold of that darn acorn is clearly the highlight and saviour for the film, without this it would of been much much duller. I saw this crazy little guy in the original trailers and even then he lured you in despite the babyish look to the rest of the film, obviously the makers knew this and pushed it.
I think the little subplot that runs through the film is genius and probably the best looking sequences in the film. Just the right amount to keep you wanting more and staying for the whole film.

This is a highly popular franchise and I do see why, I enjoyed this film in places but others it did drag a touch. Kids will love it completely whilst adults will probably like segments, myself I loved 'Sid' and 'Scrat' but found the rest to be flat. It does pull on the heart strings at times which is good and I guess you could say its a feel good film even though it can be a tad bleak at times.

Still no 'Toy Story' beater but one of the best offerings around, maybe more for younger kids than you might like.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ice Age Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI