Post #: 2
after hours - 5/4/2006 10:20:54 PM   
adambatman82

amazing film

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: After Hours - 18/4/2006 1:12:09 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

The art of the "black comedy" is a fine one, and Martin Scorsese's After Hours is a fine one, indeed. It concerns a mild-mannered computer programmer Paul Hackett(Griffin Dunne), a single guy in the big city who seems to live in his structured comfort zone quite happily...until he meets the alluring Marcy(Rosanna Arquette), in a coffee shop in Soho, New York. He agrees to meet her later at her apartment, which is when things get a little strange for Paul. Bad Luck follows him around like an ever-growing shadow as pitfall after pitfall is bestowed upon his unfortunate self. He meets a bizarre cast of characters in his quest to escape from Soho and return to the safety of his own apartment, including Marcy's artistic S&M loving flatmate and her disciplinarian boyfriend, a neurotic, stuck-in-the-60's waitress, a very annoying ice cream vendor, and would-be art-thieves. Shot with an increasing sense of claustophobia by Michael Ballhaus, the film steadily gains a Kafka-esque sense of paranoia, culminating in the neighbourhood's pursuit of Paul for a crime he didn't commit. The script by Joseph Minion(Vampire's Kiss) has a potent tang to it, and you can almost smell New York coming off the screen in nausea-inducing waves. It's a "small" film for Scorsese, but this seems to work in the film's favour in it's many comfort-less scenes. It features a terrific cast of character actors: Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, Teri Garr, Catherine O'Hara, Linda Fioentino, Will Patton, and John Heard all stand out. And I guarantee this is the only time you'll see Cheech and Chong being directed by Martin Scorsese. Now, that's bizarre...

< Message edited by Peter A. Quinn -- 18/4/2006 1:13:20 AM >

This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face.

Post #: 4
a true classic in all respects - 26/8/2006 3:06:08 PM   
matthew316

in my opinion my truly great film

Post #: 5
Brilliant - 19/10/2012 10:32:24 PM   
Coyleone

Another brilliant, sometimes overlooked Scorsese movie. The twists and turns keep coming and you really want Paul to pull through. It's Scorsese, so the editing, lighting, cinematography and soundtrack are all great. Really atmospheric in places too.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> After Hours Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI