Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Live And Let Die - 3/4/2006 10:23:16 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/4/2006 10:23:16 AM   
luvinfilms

the worst bond movie. there was no flow, no structure, and i'm surprised roger moore lasted as long as he did!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 3/4/2006 2:05:33 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Amazing score though, despite the irritating mole that is Roger Moore. Admittedly, I can sit and watch Octopussy without many complaints, but this film is far different.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to luvinfilms)
Post #: 3
worthy of 4 stars - 23/11/2006 12:34:41 AM   
Judiedenchinatrench

one star... c'mon this is easily Moores second best bond next to the spy who loved me.

A smart script with crocodiles and one of the greatest boat chases to boot..and who could forget the killer theme tune too.

Post #: 4
Live and Let Die - 15/8/2007 11:46:09 AM   
Bond

This is my second favourite Moore movie. It was a great start for moore as Bond. A good thing he did was try not to be like Connery, he made the role his own. Hebought a lighter side to the character of Bond. This Bond movie bought Bond into the world of the 70's, kind of modernised him for the new decade. As there wasen't anymore racial discrimination, Black people were in more movies, Shaft, Superfly and Live and Let Die. The villian Yaphet Kotto is great and Tee Hee is one of the most memorable henchmen. This has the greatest Speed Boat chases out of all the Bond movies. This has a lot of great moments, one of them being the Crocodile Farm. Tjis is one of the more memorable of the Bond films, you can tell why.

Post #: 5
RE: Live and Let Die - 22/10/2007 12:17:39 AM   
RJNeb2

Watching some of Moore's delivery here, it's a wonder they didn't cast Leslie Philips in the role of 007. He may be able to acquit himself in a fight but every interaction with all those simpering females (and they ALL simper in this film) is peppered with "darling this" and "darling that". It's all very campy.

The film has dated quite badly. But hooking up to the blaxploitation cycle will do that for you, and George Martin's sub "Shaft" score only helps to make it really seem a product of its time.

Jane Seymour makes for a very flaccid heroine. Though she's got very long hair.

That said, some of the action is killer stuff. The boat chase is rightly famous, and it's debatable whether the introduction of J.W. Pepper adds that much to it, and I actually thought that Yaphet Kotto made for a more believable and menacing villain. And the scene with the alligators makes me shudder every time.

Still, it's a pale shadow of the early Connery stuff.

(in reply to Bond)
Post #: 6
RE: Live And Let Die - 22/10/2007 11:55:01 AM   
Bloke from Oz

An OK Bond film I suppose. Things I liked most:

-Jane Seymour, alluring and beautiful (and she is still beautiful today )

-Julius Harris as Tee Hee (the Guy with the Metal Hook), unquestionably the henchman with the most personality in the Bond series so far

-The scene on the crocodile farm

-The boat chases, naturally

-The Southern sheriff, who provides such good entertainment ("There goes my brother-in-law!")

Not really a Bond film I would watch over and over again, but there are certainly worse in the franchise.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

Post #: 7
Pretty enjoyable Saturday tea-time viewing - 7/9/2008 2:25:30 AM   
floribunda

I'd say this is my favourite Roger Moore Bond movie. He's reasonably believable as a killer here, and it's also not too jokey - like his later ones. It's pretty close to the book, plot-wise. I do wish the sheriff hadn't been written in, I find all that malarkey rather painful and unnecessary, but I loved the baddies - especially the make-up effects!! I also really wanted to be Jane Seymour when I grew up because of this (but then, I also wanted to be Diana Rigg because of The Avengers, so I'm clearly easily swayed).

Post #: 8
Moore's finest. - 1/2/2010 9:02:46 PM   
paulandnic14

One of my most loved bonds, great villain, girl, gadgets, make this a classic bond film roger moore never really improved as much as he should have on this and while going on to make some very entertaining films (and a couple bad) this was never bettered.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Live And Let Die Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI