Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 1/4/2006 5:14:10 PM   
Jack of Blades

Taken from 'Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?' by Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur:

Sofia Coppola:

"The portrait of the babbling airhead Hollywood star in 'Lost in Translation' was reportedly based upon writer/director Sofia Coppola's first hand-experience of Cameron Diaz.
I would personally be very keen to see Cameron Diaz make her directorial debut with a movie that featured a supercilious rich-kid indie auteur who does pseudo-profound confections that people initially twat themselves over but which, on second viewing, are the cinematic equivelent of non-flavoured rice cake, with comedy scenes that are not especially funny, endless 'arty' shots of the Tokyo skyline filmed out of hotel windows and dialogue that is only naturalistic in the sense that it possibly took as long to write as to say, and which are considered original only by people who have never set eyes on any other footage of showing characters suffering from exquisitely well-turned neon-liy urban ennui like Wim Wenders directing a crap U2 video in 1992.
And she was shit at acting."

-Personally I agree. It made me piss myself with delight reading that. So...

Sofia Coppola: Supercillious rich-kid or talented indie auteur?

< Message edited by Jack of Blades -- 1/4/2006 5:18:23 PM >

When I'm at the pearly gates, this will be on my videotape...
Post #: 1
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretenious Ass? - 1/4/2006 5:18:14 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I thought LIT was ok but I've heard wonderful things about The Virgin Suicides and I'm interested in Marie Antoniette.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Jack of Blades)
Post #: 2
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretenious Ass? - 1/4/2006 5:57:46 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Virgin suicides is a good film but not one you can watch over and over
Lost In Translation was the biggest pile of shit ive ever seen in my entire life!

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 3
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 2/4/2006 3:21:09 PM   
Empitomezzo

Sofia Coppola is as pretentious as they come.

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

Post #: 4
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 2/4/2006 4:07:27 PM   
jeanne

You can think what ever you like about the Lost in translation as a film but it's well directed. I liked the film as awhole but can understand why some don't like it. Sofie Coppola has talent to tell movie in pictures and that's a hard thing to do for most directors. I don't like Virgin suisides but I can apresiate it's atmosphere and the visual telling of the story. That's her talent and i think some people should think about the difference between the film and it's direction.

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 5
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 2/4/2006 5:46:25 PM   
doubleshiny

I think she's very talented. She's got her own style, As for her 'lingering shots of the Tokyo skyline', I actually like directors who don't have to fill every frame with a big neon arrow saying "Get my point?! I'm making a point here!". It's film, a visual medium, it's not like she's directing a radio play.

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3

(in reply to jeanne)
Post #: 6
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 6/3/2009 2:24:05 PM   
Manon444

I loved Lost In Translation and Virgin Suicides!
Do you think that these films have more feminine qualities, like the particular themes, mise-en-scene and cinematography used, in comparison to other films of similar genres?

Post #: 7
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 6/3/2009 3:08:21 PM   
ElephantBoy

Yes, well the first thing to point out is that the piece is inacute as VS was her debut not Lost in Translation, and what debut it was!

She has tons of talent, what she lacks is the abilltiy to drive a narritive thoughout a film and engross you in the characters. 
In the case of the Virgin Sucides which was a great film, it was of couse addapted from a novel to which Coppola stuck very close to, so there wasn't really that much work to do as a storyteller.

The weakness first appeared in the follow up, which is a collection of parts, and works largely because of the wonderful chelmstry and realtionship between Bill Murry and Scalett Johanson, and because there's enough beautiful moments to carry the film along.   But with Marie Altonette she was found out, as that film was a shambling mess, where she struggled to invest enough depth in either the characters or the story.  So yes lots to offer and i'm sure she can bounce back with another great film, but she does need a bit of work in the script department.

(in reply to Manon444)
Post #: 8
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 8/3/2009 11:52:30 PM   
TrendMeUp

Urgh. I think she's a wonderful film maker. She has a wonderful sense of mood, which I think is so overlooked in modern film. I find it so odd that those that dislike her, dislike her so vehemently and with such anger. To be honest I think Virgin Suicides and Marie Antoinette were both "good but not great", but Lost in Translation is one of the most engaging and beautiful films I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 9
RE: Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? - 9/3/2009 12:41:11 AM   
adambatman82

i think she's great too. lost in translation is one of the best films of this decade, the virgin suicides is an incredible debut film and marie antoinette did the impossible and proved to be a costume drama that interested me. i look forward to her return from maternity leave and what she comes up with next. she's mates with zoe cassavetes too, which is a sea of approval of sorts.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Sofia Coppola - Talent or Pretentious Ass? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI