Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What Are You Reading?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> What Are You Reading? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Are You Reading? - 30/9/2005 10:03:48 PM   
Ripper

Were bringing this old faveourite back from the old forum that has been gone for 13 hours now  

At the mo im reading

Bono on Bono Conversations With Michka Assayas  

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong
Post #: 1
RE: What Are You Reading? - 2/1/2006 11:07:39 PM   
Castor Troy

So good.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 2
RE: What Are You Reading? - 3/1/2006 2:18:36 PM   
King_Wah

Very good book although not every one of the questions is fantastically interesting.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 3
RE: What Are You Reading? - 3/1/2006 4:28:55 PM   
jonson

I have that on my bedside table (the wasp one) and I agree. Some of it is very interesting and some of it is cack.

I'm currently reading John Peels Margrave of the Marshes, which is really, really bloody brilliant. One of the best autobiographys I've read.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 4
RE: What Are You Reading? - 3/1/2006 5:03:03 PM   
Super Hans

Finished Ben Elton's Past Mortem the other day - it was pretty good!

Next up will probably be Sabriel by Gath Nix!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."
Post #: 5
RE: What Are You Reading? - 3/1/2006 5:07:19 PM   
Jackal

The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. Pretty complicated. So many fecking people to remember. I find myself flicking back every now and again to remind myself who this guy is, what that abbreviation stands for etc.
Still, pretty good so far.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 6
RE: What Are You Reading? - 3/1/2006 5:21:41 PM   
HIM

I've just finished the Old Kingdom trilogy (Sabriel, Lireal and Abhorsen) by Garth Nix (so, so good) and now I'm onto:

It's set six months later and it's only a wee book. More of a novella. Only cost me a quid from Waterstones and it's signed too!

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 7
RE: What Are You Reading? - 3/1/2006 8:10:46 PM   
hongkongphooey

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

I've just finished the Old Kingdom trilogy (Sabriel, Lireal and Abhorsen) by Garth Nix (so, so good)

Shade's children is another good one by Garth Nix - not set in the Old Kingdom, but a really good read. It was a freebie from Ottakers, so not sure how available it is now though.

I've just finished re-reading Northern Lights, and am now going to have a go at Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

before it comes out as a movie next year.

< Message edited by hongkongphooey -- 3/1/2006 8:12:56 PM >

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 8
RE: What Are You Reading? - 5/1/2006 1:01:57 PM   
Cat5

Currently am reading The Double Eagle by James Twining. Think a British Dan Brown wannabe but the main character of a jewel thief is well written enough - lots of twist and turns and just hope it works to a satisfactory conclusion. Definitely filmable too.

Basic plot is a thief, Tom, is on his last job after the death of his father, and the investigators find a hair at the scene which shows up on the computers of the police as they think this guy died 10 years ago. Cut to the story of a female FBI officer trying to get back in the good books after 3 years of doing menial jobs after shooting her partner who gets to work on the theft of rare gold coins made in the 30s from Fort Knox. Cue assassins, lots of people linked to the crime now dead and some dark secrets that come out. As I said, short chapters to keep the story going, jumping about all over the place but definitely a decent read for any journey.

Frasier: So you're seeing a man?
Daphne: Only when I close my eyes and concentrate.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 9
RE: What Are You Reading? - 5/1/2006 1:41:39 PM   
Krazy_Beyootiful

I'm reading Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome. K. Jerome, which is very very funny and has had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion already.

How can we be happy in a world where predictive text can spell Indictment but not Flapjacks?

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 10
RE: What Are You Reading? - 5/1/2006 1:58:02 PM   
Megalo-who?

I just finished this. A gripping read, but ultimately beautiful and heartbreaking, a novel about love, regret and loss. The ending is a master of contemporary writing. It is hard to imagine what is real, but by the end you know this is the point.

And I've just started this (bad image quality) -

(in reply to Krazy_Beyootiful)
Post #: 11
RE: What Are You Reading? - 5/1/2006 4:32:12 PM   
MOTH

quote:

The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. Pretty complicated. So many fecking people to remember. I find myself flicking back every now and again to remind myself who this guy is, what that abbreviation stands for etc.
Still, pretty good so far.

Lucky you! A class, class book that'll stick in your head for a good while after.
My advice - complicated plot so don't rush it! it'll be worth it in the end!!

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Megalo-who?)
Post #: 12
RE: What Are You Reading? - 6/1/2006 8:14:56 AM   
Funkyrae

Just started reading Decipher again.  Finally got it back from a friend of mine who "borrowed" it about 2 years ago!  Forgot what an amazing book it really is!  This is from the same guy who wrote 51st State with Robert Carlyle & Samuel L Jackson.  Well worth checking out.

That's me that is!

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 13
RE: What Are You Reading? - 6/1/2006 8:16:47 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

I've just finished the Old Kingdom trilogy (Sabriel, Lireal and Abhorsen) by Garth Nix (so, so good) and now I'm onto:

It's set six months later and it's only a wee book. More of a novella. Only cost me a quid from Waterstones and it's signed too!

Awesome books!  Check out the Keys set starting with Mister Monday.  Garth Nix is truly underestimated.

That's me that is!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14
RE: What Are You Reading? - 6/1/2006 9:47:37 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Bit of advice please

I wouldn't mind starting on a few Iain Banks books as have never read any.  What would be the best one to start with?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 15
RE: What Are You Reading? - 6/1/2006 10:01:19 AM   
Mozza

This seasopn, I am mostly reading:

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 16
RE: What Are You Reading? - 6/1/2006 3:31:16 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

Awesome books!  Check out the Keys set starting with Mister Monday.  Garth Nix is truly underestimated.

I've already started collecting the Keys to the Kingdom series. I've got Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday and Drowned Wednesday but I haven't started reading them yet. I don't know whether to start now or wait till they're all out, though that won't be for a few years. Sir Thursday isn't out till April. What do you reckon?

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 17
RE: What Are You Reading? - 7/1/2006 12:47:26 AM   
Dirty Bear

I'm reading

I am enjoying it hugely...though not enough to vote for it against The Northern Lights in the Book Poll.

It's very gripping in parts, but I must admit some of the Southern American language I don't understand at times. All the same, very good.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 18
RE: What Are You Reading? - 7/1/2006 11:45:29 AM   
Donald McKinney

This little beauty...

It is a brilliant and compelling read!! Nothing upsets me more than hearing that Terry Gilliam can't get a film made because he can't get the money for it, in the time between the collapse of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, and The Brothers Grimm getting greenlit, he was attached to so many brilliant sounding projects, Good Omens, Blue Ribbon Operation, Anything For Billy, all fell under. Message to Hollywood, greenlight them NOW!!

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips,
Give 'em a push!!
You'll be surprised you're doing the French Mistake!!

VOILA!!

(in reply to Dirty Bear)
Post #: 19
RE: What Are You Reading? - 7/1/2006 3:43:48 PM   
pedros

I'm currently reading A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.

1,500 pages, and i'm on about p.90. It may take me a while.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Donald McKinney)
Post #: 20
RE: What Are You Reading? - 8/1/2006 7:31:01 AM   
spiffyjellybean

Rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 21
RE: What Are You Reading? - 8/1/2006 1:15:06 PM   
HIM

I'm currently reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

I'm up to chapter 6 now but I've found it a bit hard going. The narrative is all over the place and keeps flitting about between lots of characters and events. There doesn't seem to be much of a story yet either, but I kinda know it's about Yossarian's attempt to avoid fighting at all costs. There has been little hints at the humour though which I loved. "You've got flies in your eyes that's why you can't see them."

I'm going to persevere though because I get the feeling that it'll grab me soon and I'll start to love it.

(in reply to spiffyjellybean)
Post #: 22
RE: What Are You Reading? - 8/1/2006 6:36:05 PM   
Krazy_Beyootiful

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

I'm currently reading A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.

1,500 pages, and i'm on about p.90. It may take me a while.

I've just started An Equal Music by the same author. I'm only on page 3 though so I can't really comment on how it is yet.

I'm also still finishing Three Men in a Boat.

How can we be happy in a world where predictive text can spell Indictment but not Flapjacks?

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 23
RE: What Are You Reading? - 9/1/2006 8:27:09 AM   
Funkyrae

[/quote]

I've already started collecting the Keys to the Kingdom series. I've got Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday and Drowned Wednesday but I haven't started reading them yet. I don't know whether to start now or wait till they're all out, though that won't be for a few years. Sir Thursday isn't out till April. What do you reckon?

[/quote]

Depends on how you get on with other series that you have to wait for the sequels to.  I'm still waiting for Clive Barkers third installment of the Art trilogy and that has only been about 12 years.  Personally I would read them.  April isn't that far away.  Here before you know it and all that rubbish, but these really are very good books.  I can't wait for Sir Thursday and will probably be extremely anti-social when it comes out. 

How quickly do you read and how much time do you get to read? 

That's me that is!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 24
RE: What Are You Reading? - 9/1/2006 11:26:34 AM   
Monkeyshaver

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 25
RE: What Are You Reading? - 9/1/2006 2:11:01 PM   
hozay

Catah 22 is the funniest book I've ever read-stick with it Him.

I'm reading  "69" by Ryu Murakami (as in 1969)
It's about the cultural revolution of the 60's,it's effects on Japanese culture as seen
through the eyes of a group of high school students.Murakamis' writing is vibrant,
hip and very funny.
The movie,also called 69,is quite good as well but I've been unable to find a
region4 copy.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 26
RE: What Are You Reading? - 9/1/2006 2:54:28 PM   
DJ Satan

I've just started reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

It's pretty heavy going as I expected, but I'm really enjoying it. If it's as rewarding as Cryptonomicon or The Diamon Age I will be really happy.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 27
RE: What Are You Reading? - 9/1/2006 3:52:26 PM   
MOTH

Great stuff altogether - although i can't get Humphrey feckin Bogart out of my head when picturing Sam Spade, even though he's nothing like the charater described in the book

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 28
RE: What Are You Reading? - 9/1/2006 4:39:36 PM   
HIM

quote:

Catah 22 is the funniest book I've ever read-stick with it Him.

The bit where Clevinger is up in front of the Action Borad (the bloated Colonol with big fat mustache, Lieutenant Scheisskopf and Major Metcalf) in Chapter 8 is fucking hilarious!

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 29
RE: What Are You Reading? - 9/1/2006 4:44:35 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

Depends on how you get on with other series that you have to wait for the sequels to.  I'm still waiting for Clive Barkers third installment of the Art trilogy and that has only been about 12 years.  Personally I would read them.  April isn't that far away.  Here before you know it and all that rubbish, but these really are very good books.  I can't wait for Sir Thursday and will probably be extremely anti-social when it comes out. 

How quickly do you read and how much time do you get to read? 

I get about 3 hours a day (an hour in the morning commuting and then again in the evening and an hour before bed). I'm a pretty slow reader really. It took me about a month to read the Old Kingdom trilogy and the Creature in the Case.

Although I have read the Harry Potter books so it's probably like waiting for each of those to come out isn't it?

I reckon I'll start Mister Monday once I've finished Catch-22. Then I'll read another book before starting Grim Tuesday and carry on alternating between the Keys to the Kingdom series and other books.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> What Are You Reading? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI