Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Solid Family Fun

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Solid Family Fun Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Solid Family Fun - 2/5/2006 1:49:31 AM   
max314

The first 'Ice Age' was enormously underrated in my view. Honestly, I think it was a better CG family film than the oddly overrated 'Shrek'.

'Ice Age' had me with a lump in my throat, whereas 'Shrek' left me counting the number of homages to various pieces of literature, movies and kid's stories present in the movie.

'Ice Age 2: The Meltdown' isn't quite as moving as its precedessor, but it's still great fun. There's more of our favourite, nut-obsessed squirrel, and we see the trio set out on another adventure. But it must be said that it's not quite as satisfying as the first one.

Definitely go and see it if you're looking for a laugh, but it's not essential viewing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - 2/5/2006 8:48:55 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

I agree, great fun!
I have seen it twice, until now!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 32
RE: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - 2/5/2006 9:30:42 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Ice Age 2 was not as good as I was expecting, however the laughs save it from complete disaster - that, and a soppy ending even a critical heart can muster a smile for. It's really about being accepted, especially since Sid the Sloth doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. Enough of the analytical rubbish though, the sequel was more for the kids, I found, which is great... if you're a kid. There were moments of adult greatness and several amusing one-liners, but it's definitely not as good as its predecessor.

The critics are right, Scrat makes this film. If he didn't pop up every so often, I would've been bored.

3/5

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 33
Ice Age 2 - 2/5/2006 7:15:48 PM   
dragonINC

The first Ice Age was an extremely understated film with not as much exposure as the Shrek series or Pixar animations which is a shame as they are def on the same par quality wise. Ice Age 2 is a great little film with excellant characters (Scrat is awesome) and some neat animation and comedy moments! If you like spongebob I am sure you will love Ice Age!!!!

Post #: 34
ICE AGE 2 - 5/5/2006 8:26:54 PM   
J.M.N.

A joyful journey with some great humour, though it didn't give as much feel as the first. Kids will love it.

Post #: 35
RE: ICE AGE 2 - 6/5/2006 9:54:33 PM   
~Angel~

Not as good or as funny as its fellow prequel but still fun to watch, especially for the younger ones. With more thought, time and care the storyline could have been developed further making the whole film that bit more interesting!

(in reply to J.M.N.)
Post #: 36
RE: RE: What - 10/5/2006 4:16:25 PM   
GavinD

Yeah Yeah but what on Earth does this have to do with the subject at hand

JgdBessell

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 37
Good film - 1/9/2006 3:04:38 AM   
shitmovie

Very good all around movie and the same rating as the first. The same humour and an easy plot for lil kids to work out. If you got kids it is one to go and see. They will laugh you will laugh and even grumpy teenagers will to

Post #: 38
Enjoyable - 18/11/2006 8:54:38 PM   
solid snake

My younger cousin still found this deeply funny. However i did not. Having said that i did see myself smile and laugh through out the film.

Post #: 39
- 27/1/2007 5:29:18 PM   
moviemaniac2

A pacy, polished sequel, easily equal to the first Ice Age movie. Entertainingly wet and wacky – with the squirrel stealing the show

Post #: 40
Ice Age 2 - 19/6/2007 12:11:57 AM   
qualidad

Very disappointing film, strictly for children. Nothing to hold any interest throughout, bar the only saving grace, the acorn hunting squirrel. The animation is fabulous but it simply isn't enough.

Post #: 41
The original was much, much better. - 11/7/2008 12:09:21 AM   
nc_jj

This was good but kind of a let-down.

Post #: 42
Squirrel Save The Sequel - 26/11/2009 7:40:44 PM   
S1lent B0b

Ice Age 2 may not be as funny as the first or Third movies but is great in its own right & it also has the best scrat sequences of the lot.

Post #: 43
RE: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - 22/7/2012 6:53:39 AM   
Phubbs

Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006)

I like how they use the realtime events in Earth's ancient history as guidelines for the continuing adventures in this franchise. This time the nicely accurate problem of the Ice Age coming to a slow end and massive pending floods risking the lives of everything.

We are introduced to a whole bunch of mammal families in this film, all kinds of small to large creatures that now live and play with our original trio. The first impression you get instantly is this time its really aimed at the kids route. There are cute little furry things with big eyes running around with their parents looking after them, more silly childish little visual gags and of course the eventual introduction of female mammoth 'Ellie'.
The new mammoth also brings two little sidekick creatures with her that use modern slang with visual references from time to time, clearly to appeal to the whole spectrum of young people. By far the worst characters in the new film and always a mistake to go down that route.

The plot is simple again (kids film remember), all the creatures must escape their current home within a large valley because it will flood, not too original this time. Predictably this entails the same kind of japes that we saw in the first film but merely with new mammals to join in. The new mammoth voiced by Queen Latifah also predictably adds a nice cuddly romance into the fold which for myself (and possibly other male adults) kinda made things a bit lame.

The two sea reptiles that pursue the team are a nice menacing touch. They don't look too nasty obviously but its cool to see all various types of prehistoric creatures being used, factual or not doesn't matter here.

Voices are all the same which is good continuity. This mean we do get more greatness from Leguizamo as 'Sid' who is still easily the best character here. Latifah is a pleasant surprise as 'Ellie' with her quite soothing peaceful voice but all the other characters are more generic, annoying, forgettable and merely filler for the background.

Being made a good fours years after the first effects have gotten better also. The whole thing still has that nice minimalistic look to it (mainly backgrounds and ice), I still think it has the old Chuck Jones feel about it at times. Character rendering is much sharper this time, especially on fur, not that is was all that bad in the first film. All the characters look really good accept for 'Diego' whose design is much more static, he was the same in the first film. The really impressive moments are water animations and how they pull off wet fur, this impressed me, 'Sid's' fur looking real enough to reach out and touch.

More of a let down for me this one, its still a quality animated film but very much in favour for the youngsters this time. I'm still loving 'Sid' with Leguizamo's top voice and of course you still have 'Scrat' tearing around after his acorn in the excellent running gag/subplot throughout the whole film. Not tired of that lill saber-toothed squirrel yet, that one slither of humour keeps me coming back for more.

Post #: 44
RE: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - 22/7/2012 8:47:38 AM   
NCC1701A

Have not seen the new one yet but as for Ice Age 2: The Meltdown it is my favourite of the series so far.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 45
RE: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - 22/7/2012 9:39:29 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I''ve got a big soft spot for these film's, seeing as my son loves them! (my daughter loves her Toy Stories more). But I think after the pleasant surprise of the first film, which I thought was excellent - this felt a bit of a downer. However, there's still a lot to like. We meet Crash and Eddie, two of the most dumbest (and funniest) character's in animation. And of course, Ellie. I thought Scrat's predicament's with his beloved Acorn was much more funnier. I loved the last scenes of him almost reaching Acorn heaven.

Personally for me, the original Ice Age remains the best, and then Ice Age 3 (i thought it was absolutely brilliant!). But theres still a lot to enjoy from the 2nd film.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 46
RE: Rushed - 22/7/2012 1:33:36 PM   
steveyoung695

quote:

Ice Age 2

good one

Steve Young
www.top10hollywood.net

(in reply to Stanley Kubrick)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Solid Family Fun Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI